PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike of PCT

eric d
04-09-2011, 19:25
A friend and I were thinking it would be awesome to hike some of the PCT/JMT for about a month. Since we're from MI, we heard it was best to hike north to south to become acclimatized better. Our initial plan is to start at Sonora Pass and finish at Whitney Portal (about 270 mi). There are many logistical things that we could use advice on such as permits, resupplies, and transportation. Would it be easier to start farther north outside of Yosemite for permits? What is the best place to fly to before we start? How many days should we allow for our journey? I'd greatly appreciate your advice! Thanks!

Eric

Miner
04-09-2011, 22:56
You only need 1 permit if your trip is continuous. Getting to Sonora pass isn't that easy. You can get a bus to the town of Bridgeport and then would need a long hitch to Sonora Pass (the hitch is doable as many PCT hikers do it every summer but it may take awhile). The most direct way is to fly into Reno and take the CREST bus south to Bridgeport. You can also fly into other California cities and use Amtrak/Greyhound to get to Merced and then use the Yarts buses to get into Yosemite and out to Hwy 395 where you can catch the CREST bus north to Bridgeport. At Whitney you hitch down to Lone Pine and use the Crest Bus to reverse back to your starting point. You can sometimes shorten things by just hitching up Hwy 395 which isn't that difficult. The Crest buses don't always run every day either so check/call for their current schedule before leaving.

You'll need a bear can (can be rented in Yosemite and some of the NF ranger offices; call ahead and see if the one you want rents them). I think the NF ranger station in Bridgeport is the one that can issue your permit for Sonora Pass but call and ask to make sure.

Your resupply options are Bridgeport before leaving Sonora Pass, Tuolumne Meadows store and PO in Yosemite, Red's Meadow/Mammoth Lakes (mail box or buy), Vermillion Valley Resort (check their website for mailing instructions as food supply is limited), Muir Trail Ranch (Mail only, check their website for mailing instructions), Keasearge Pass to the town of Indpendence (12miles of non-JMT hiking over scenic trail) and then the Whitney Portal. There are a few other exit points to get into the town of Bishop along the way but few use them due to the distance of non-JMT hiking and due to their lighter traffic at the TH's.

As to how long, depends on your conditioning and how well you'll acclimate to the altitude. I think 3 weeks is reasonable, but some would require or desire longer and it can be done in less time. This is very scenic country with many lakes for swimming opportunities so plan accordingly. Just watch out for bears in the more popular areas. I normally camp away from the popular areas and just visit them during the day by taking long breaks there.

eric d
04-09-2011, 23:38
Thanks Miner! This information is very helpful! Would it be easier to start farther south say happy isles or would getting a permit be more of a challenge there? Thanks again for the great info!

Eric

eric d
04-10-2011, 00:04
I'm also wondering about footwear...I have the asolo tps 520 boots and I've enjoyed using them on several backpacking trips, however, I'm unsure if they are the best for this type of trip. The more I've been reading it seems that people are using trail running shoes as their primary shoe. I currently have some brooks cascadia trail running shoes, but I not quite sure about losing the ankle support vs the improvement in weight.

Mountain Mike
04-10-2011, 00:49
I'd stick to what you are comfortable with. The section of trail is incredible. With the heavy snow fall this year be ready for some map & compass work on south side of Sonora. When I hiked it the snow had obliterate all traces of the trail. I resupplied at Tuolumne Meadows store and PO in Yosemite, & Vermillion Valley Resort.

Miner
04-10-2011, 18:22
Sonora Pass would be easier to get a starting permit at since the TH isn't heavily used. However, even in Yosemite, they reserve a certain number of permits for walk ins (available starting the day before you leave, show up early and a weekday is easier then a weekend). Tuolumne Meadows would be slightly easier then Happy Isles TH.

If you want to try trail runners, I would do so on a trip before starting the JMT to see how you like it. I've been using trail runners in the Sierra Neveda for a couple of years and like it, but my packweight is pretty light too. I actually tweak my ankles less in trail runners verses boots due to the lighter weight and not tiring out my legs as quick, but your mileage may vary.

Dogwood
04-10-2011, 20:17
Just to add to what Miner already adequately covered. 30 days, 270 miles, a few shorter days or "zeros" thrown in sounds very doable for most hikers. Sounds like a nice section hike, taking in the JMT and a bit further north on the PCT! You'll notice the difference in geology between the volcanic rock north of Yosemite and all the granite in Yosemite and south to Whitney.

I'm near Reno now. Just flew in from Hawaii on Saturday Apr 9. Lots of snow still in the Sierras now until mid June. Do be careful(check ahead!!!) with the Crest bus or other buses that run north/south from/to Reno though. They operate on only certain days. For example, I had to hitch from Reno to Carson City because the Crest operates only on a Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri schedule. They also run on those days on a rather infrequent schedule(not many buses per day, sometimes only one bus per day on those days that they operate!!!).

You could also fly into Sacramento, LA, San Jose, Bakersfield(smaller AP), Fresno, or San Fran. If going n to s starting at Sonora Pass the most logistically simple is Reno AP though.