PDA

View Full Version : MRE's as trail food?

Derek81pci
04-10-2011, 04:39
I spent several years in the Marine Corps and have eaten tons of MRE's in my day. I actually like them. They have something nuts like a 10 year shelf life, and pack about 2000-2500 calories per. Also, one MRE can last a person all day (if broken into several small meals). They are about $65 for a case of 12 individually packed meals.

My only concerns were cost and calorie intake. I've never done an extended hike that lasted more than 6 weeks, so, I'm not sure how the cost would differ from standard trail food. Calories are a concern as well. I've never hiked mountianous areas and I know it takes a lot more calories than the Florida Trail or any other trail I've done.

Basically, I'm just wondering of anyone does this, or has done it, and how it worked out. I would eat other things as well mainly to avoid burnout. Thanks in advance.

Hooch
04-10-2011, 06:32
First, Semper Fi from another old Jarhead. MRE's have been used by some, but they're definitely the exception and not the rule. Of course, you've already mentioned their significant cost, not to mention them being heavy, bulky and leave behind a ton of trash, which must also be packed out. IMO, there are better ways to get your nutrition on the trail.

Derek81pci
04-10-2011, 07:04
Semper Fi Hooch. Yeah, I had planned to field strip them if I did decide to go this route. I found more information since I posted this, and yeah, it's looking like a not so good option. The cost vs how much you have to eat doesn't seem very efficient. I might mail drop a few though, as a treat :)

mweinstone
04-10-2011, 07:53
what do you call the texture of the entre in an mre? used? poopy? bad? unfortunate? unrecognizable? horrid? something stumbelwolf did in his pants? heavy cream consistancy? mushlike? murky at best? not something we talk about? just not so good texture?

mmmm. c rats on e beach. the scrambeled egg one. lentles. mmmm. real cans. mm cans.
leave it to millitary gearheads to solve the problem of a meal in the feild by putting a boxes of cans in an alice pack. oh the horror.

double d
04-10-2011, 09:19
Semper Fi Hooch. Yeah, I had planned to field strip them if I did decide to go this route. I found more information since I posted this, and yeah, it's looking like a not so good option. The cost vs how much you have to eat doesn't seem very efficient. I might mail drop a few though, as a treat :)

As Hooch mentioned, there are much better options then MRE's. Break down one MRE at home and take a look at what it contains. You will discover that you can find the same products/food at better prices, packageing and quality at your local supermarket. Also, the MRE's are very bulky and you can pack alot more store bought food then the MRE's will allow you in smaller containers. Good luck to you in your hiking and thanks for your service.

BigHodag
04-10-2011, 17:16
Last May I encountered three young veterans, two Army and one Marine. All three were on their first SOBO section hike of the AT from Penn-Mar to Harpers Ferry. They were all carrying MREs, but had not field stripped them. As above I mentioned the extra weight they were carrying and the need to hike out a good deal of trash. Hope they do better this year.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/0/9/at-2010-md-raven-rock-2usmc1usa_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=42383&c=member&imageuser=26409)

Papa D
04-10-2011, 22:13
yuck for so many reasons - you can do so much better - really

jcazz
04-10-2011, 22:26
Make sure you bring the laxative gum to chew after you eat those "meals rejected by everyone".....they are made by Cadillac dog food company, well that's the rumor. I choked them down in Iraq for a year and they sure tasted like it, nasty. The UGR were worse. I thought the older ones with the cigarettes in them were the best...I think they were in a green package....also real MRE's are not legally for sale.

FLY-FIGHT-WIN, USAF

leaftye
04-10-2011, 23:27
I spent several years in the Marine Corps and have eaten tons of MRE's in my day. I actually like them. They have something nuts like a 10 year shelf life, and pack about 2000-2500 calories per. Also, one MRE can last a person all day (if broken into several small meals). They are about $65 for a case of 12 individually packed meals.

My only concerns were cost and calorie intake. I've never done an extended hike that lasted more than 6 weeks, so, I'm not sure how the cost would differ from standard trail food. Calories are a concern as well. I've never hiked mountianous areas and I know it takes a lot more calories than the Florida Trail or any other trail I've done.

Basically, I'm just wondering of anyone does this, or has done it, and how it worked out. I would eat other things as well mainly to avoid burnout. Thanks in advance.

You will need to eat about 2 full MRE's per day. Even then, you may still lose weight. You may be able to get by on 1 per day for your first few days, but eventually your calorie deficit will catch up, your trail diet will kick in, and you'll be need several thousand calories per day just to avoid feeling drained.

gunner76
04-11-2011, 20:29
The Corps was still using C Rats when I came in. While I think the MREs are a major improvement, I would not take them on multi day hiking trip due to the weight. Too many other better and lighter foods to take.

Also back then (in the 70's) Mountain House freezed dried meals came in a red package and said meal for 2. They also made a military version that came in a green package and said meal for 1 (same meal, same size/weight)

Trailbender
04-11-2011, 22:14
Some of the MRE's were good, like chicken salsa, but a few unlucky people in my basic class got something like veggie burger or meatloaf, and one ravioli one that tasted like aluminum foil mixed with drano.

Spider
04-12-2011, 10:17
Way too heavy and bulky for what you get. Stay away from the omelets!

Old Hiker
04-12-2011, 10:28
I think Bison did it on his thru. Check out http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8329. Prep entry #17.

chasegru
04-19-2011, 21:26
You will need to eat about 2 full MRE's per day. Even then, you may still lose weight. You may be able to get by on 1 per day for your first few days, but eventually your calorie deficit will catch up, your trail diet will kick in, and you'll be need several thousand calories per day just to avoid feeling drained.

I just ran the numbers (http://www.thruhikercaloriecounter.com/1/post/2011/04/burying-a-dead-horse-mres-by-the-numbers.html), typical trail food (including weight of stove and fuel) has a caloric density of 1400 Cal/lb. MRE's (after stripping them down) come out to 1000 Cal/lb.

The wisdom of WB combined with cold hard math draws one undeniable conclusion- MRE's suck. Let's never speak of them again.:)

earlyriser26
04-19-2011, 22:11
My brother was in the air cav and would often give me cases of MRE's. The one thing I found was that taken in total they were not great for backpacking, but some of the parts were great. The freeze dried fruit was the best. Open them up and take the good parts. Again, I got them for free. If I had to buy them I would take a pass. Other alternatives are better and you can also buy off the shelf cheaper.

leaftye
04-19-2011, 22:50
@chasegru

Thanks for doing the math.

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2011, 23:09
what do you call the texture of the entre in an mre? used? poopy? bad? unfortunate? unrecognizable? horrid? something stumbelwolf did in his pants? heavy cream consistancy? mushlike? murky at best? not something we talk about? just not so good texture?

mmmm. c rats on e beach. the scrambeled egg one. lentles. mmmm. real cans. mm cans.
leave it to millitary gearheads to solve the problem of a meal in the feild by putting a boxes of cans in an alice pack. oh the horror.

Matty please remember your manners...............................

Deadeye
04-20-2011, 08:49
Some of the MREs are really tasty, and after a long day I'll eat most anything anyhow. I use them for short trips, break 'em down in advance, and eat the parts whenever. For a quick weekend when you just want to throw stuff in the pack and go, they work great. For frequent use on a long hike, all the downsides have already been covered.

fredmugs
04-20-2011, 09:30
I was in the Corps when they switched from C-Rats to MREs. As a supply guy I was always able to take what I wanted before handing out the rest to everyone else.

First time I had an MRE I had food poisoning so bad they almost had to helo-vac me from the field. Fortunately I only had to go out one more time before I got out and I took my own food with me.

Although they may have gotten better I wouldn't eat one if it was free.

Feral Bill
04-20-2011, 12:17
Matty please remember your manners...............................

You're dreaming, WOO

Manchu Infantry
05-10-2011, 14:55
E-gads I would not want an MRE for hiking/camping. The weight, trash, stops you up (which maybe a good thing) and that MRE "taste" that stays in your mouth for hours. I was an infantryman so I may be biased against them since I have had so many in my time.

Moondog
05-11-2011, 11:31
I was in the Corps when they switched from C-Rats to MREs. As a supply guy I was always able to take what I wanted before handing out the rest to everyone else.

First time I had an MRE I had food poisoning so bad they almost had to helo-vac me from the field. Fortunately I only had to go out one more time before I got out and I took my own food with me.

Although they may have gotten better I wouldn't eat one if it was free.
I was a noob when the Army switched from c-rats to mre's. They got much better over the years and I didn't mind them after a while. They are too heavy to use for extended hikes, though.