PDA

View Full Version : Waterton Canyon Alternate

Graywolf
04-10-2011, 12:25
Since Waterton Canyon is closed this year, what alternate routes are you using? Looks like the Colorado Trail website has a couple of alternates. Which one are you taking?

Shutterbug
04-10-2011, 12:52
Since Waterton Canyon is closed this year, what alternate routes are you using? Looks like the Colorado Trail website has a couple of alternates. Which one are you taking?

I have taken the Roxborough alternative. You start at the Roxborough visitor center, hike the Carpenter Peak trail. Just before you reach Carpenter Peak the alternative trail takes off to the left. It connects with the CT above Waterton Canyon.

Paccer
04-10-2011, 12:54
Hello Graywolf,
My tentative start date is the last week of June and I was planning on contacting Trailguy (http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=60765&Thread=1&roomID=13&entryID=138235) to see if he is available to shuttle from Mineral Station to the nearest open section of the trail.

If he is not available this is my back-up plan using public transportation and hitching/walking. I have put together from online information and hope that it is accurate:

Denver Rapid Transit Bus 63X: (pick up schedule at airport) From Mineral Station in Littleton take bus 63X south. Exit bus at junction South Plate Cyn Road and Waterton Road (nearest bus stop is Hwy 121 and Kassler Road). Walk/hitch south on Waterton Road c. 1.6 miles to junction Waterton Road and North Rampart Range Road. Turn right-south on N. Rampart Range c. 2.3 miles to North Roxboro Park Road. Turn left-east to entrance to Roxborough Park. Walk-hitch c. 3.2 miles on Carpenter Peak trail.

Carpenter Peak Trail starts about 0.6 miles from the visitor center in Roxborough St Park. The distance to the top of Carpenter Peak is about 2.5 miles, and it is all uphill. Right before the summit, there is a turnoff with a sign that reads "Colorado Trail and Waterton Canyon". The mileage from the sign to the CT at Strontia Springs Dam is about 3 miles. The Roxborough trail is very well maintained, with good views, and much more shade -There is no water available on the Roxborough route.===approx 13 mile hike from bus stop to CT===

I would be interested to hear what others are planning.
Hike well,
Pacer

Graywolf
04-10-2011, 13:43
Pacer, thanks. I too am planning in June. I will be going to Colorado Springs first to visit a friend and hike to the top of Pikes Peak. I was thinking of the Roxbourgh route myself... Maybe we will meet up on the trail.. If you wouldlike a hiking partner let me know..

This trip is still pending. I am on a tep job now and if it ends sooner than expected, I may just hit the AT, so I will see.. I will keep everyone informed..I have to remember Trail Guy..

Mags
04-10-2011, 13:53
I did a trip to Roxborough to check out this alt start. I think it is superior to the Waterton start (with the caveats of an entrance fee, can't leave cars there, no camping, etc.) and the Indian Creek trail.

http://www.pmags.com/november-foothills-hiking

This doc may help, too:
http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide

Shutterbug
04-10-2011, 14:45
Pacer, thanks. I too am planning in June. I will be going to Colorado Springs first to visit a friend and hike to the top of Pikes Peak. I was thinking of the Roxbourgh route myself... Maybe we will meet up on the trail.. If you wouldlike a hiking partner let me know..

This trip is still pending. I am on a tep job now and if it ends sooner than expected, I may just hit the AT, so I will see.. I will keep everyone informed..I have to remember Trail Guy..

I assume you will be hiking the Barr Trail up Pike's Peak. If this year turns out to be "normal" there will still be snow covering the Barr Trail above Barr Camp.

I hiked it on July 4 a couple of years ago. By then, the trail was passable but there was still some snow. Take your microspikes or crampons.

Graywolf
04-10-2011, 15:09
I assume you will be hiking the Barr Trail up Pike's Peak. If this year turns out to be "normal" there will still be snow covering the Barr Trail above Barr Camp.

I hiked it on July 4 a couple of years ago. By then, the trail was passable but there was still some snow. Take your microspikes or crampons.

Shutterbug, yes, we will be hiking up Barr Trail. I just learned of this trail from my friend who lives in Colorado Springs. I have been reading the website and the Barr Camp website getting information and prep. Yes, Being Colorado, and over 13000 feet one must always be prepared for snow at all times of teh year.. I was caught in the July Blizzard of 1995 in the Collegiate Wilderness. I was prepared so had a great time, but if I didnt do my research, that could have turned into a dangerous situation..

I am looking at the possibility to just skip the first section of the CT and just use connetor trails to link me up with the CT out of Colorado Springs.. Outside of the Ring the Peak trail, I cant find a good connector trail. Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

echoes
04-10-2011, 16:12
I'm probably starting at Roxborough in late June or early July. I know someone in Castle Rock who should be able to give me a ride there.

I did the Barr Trail up Pikes in late June a couple years ago. The last mile or mile and a half was pretty much completely covered in snow, but it wasn't much of a problem. I recommend staying at Barr Camp on the way up. Great hosts.

Have fun. Maybe I'll see you on the CT.

Graywolf
04-10-2011, 17:34
I'm probably starting at Roxborough in late June or early July. I know someone in Castle Rock who should be able to give me a ride there.

I did the Barr Trail up Pikes in late June a couple years ago. The last mile or mile and a half was pretty much completely covered in snow, but it wasn't much of a problem. I recommend staying at Barr Camp on the way up. Great hosts.

Have fun. Maybe I'll see you on the CT.

Sounds goo Echos.. Look forward to it. I plan to be in Colorado Springs the last week of June. Probably spend a few days there after doing the Barr Trail. I want to get the Garden of the Gods in. Havnt been there in several years and miss it..

Shutterbug
04-10-2011, 21:30
Sounds goo Echos.. Look forward to it. I plan to be in Colorado Springs the last week of June. Probably spend a few days there after doing the Barr Trail. I want to get the Garden of the Gods in. Havnt been there in several years and miss it..

If you like Garden of the Gods, you will love Roxborough State Park. Eventhough I live in Washington State, I often buy an annual pass to Roxborough. It is a great place to hike.

Paccer
04-11-2011, 00:25
I did a trip to Roxborough to check out this alt start. I think it is superior to the Waterton start (with the caveats of an entrance fee, can't leave cars there, no camping, etc.) and the Indian Creek trail.

Hey Mags,
I see from the website that Roxborough has a $7.00 day pass fee. Do you know if that applies if you are just hiking through to get to the CT?

Dogwood
04-11-2011, 01:38
Ditto Shutterbug's Roxborough route up the Carpenter Peak Trail. Take to the peak though and then backtrack a bit.

Thanks Paccer for the detailed bus info.

Shutterbug
04-11-2011, 09:47
Hey Mags,
I see from the website that Roxborough has a $7.00 day pass fee. Do you know if that applies if you are just hiking through to get to the CT?

The day pass is "per car: Hitch a ride to the visitor center and you won't have to pay.

Paccer
04-11-2011, 10:39
Thanks Graywolf for the clarification. I did not see any walk-in rate on the park's website. Regardless, $7.00 is a small price to pay to get to the trail, and help support Roxborough at the same time.

Paccer
04-11-2011, 10:41
Meant to say thanks Shutterbug. Haven't found yet how to edit a post already submitted. :rolleyes:

Graywolf
04-11-2011, 10:49
TPaccer, that was my question to. Thanks for asking it, and thanks Shutterbug for answering it.. This is going to be a blast of a hike..Hope to see all outthere. Hey Paccer, ssend me a messgae. I will send you my email. If we dont meet up we can at least keep each other abreast on Trail conditions..

Mags
04-11-2011, 14:28
Hey Mags,

You still have to pay the entrance fee per the park officials. Basically, you are still using he park even if you are hiking on through to the CT.

Mags
04-11-2011, 14:29
The day pass is "per car: Hitch a ride to the visitor center and you won't have to pay.

Technically you are right. But, someone still has to pay. :)

Graywolf
04-11-2011, 15:15
7bucks is not bad and it helps the State Park...No prob there..

mcskinney
04-13-2011, 01:24
You still have to pay the entrance fee per the park officials. Basically, you are still using he park even if you are hiking on through to the CT.

this is false, you do NOT have to pay to walk into a Colorado State Park.

Mags
04-13-2011, 10:01
this is false, you do NOT have to pay to walk into a Colorado State Park.

No, but if someone gives you a ride INTO a park..somone has to pay.

Read the thread a little more closely.

If you want to road walk from the bus stop to save $7, be my guest.

Most people will opt for a ride/hitch however and someone will have to pay the entrance fee. :)

That someone may not be the CT hiker..but if I was to get a hitch from someone, I'd volunteer to pay the entrance fee.

Cookerhiker
06-11-2011, 15:48
We're starting July 24 from the Indian Creek Trailhead.

Cookerhiker
06-20-2011, 21:10
OK, this is small but I'd to get an idea of how long it is from the Indian Creek Trailhead to the CT. The Indian Creek Trail joins the CT at Lenny's Rest. I have 2 map printouts from the Colorado Trail Foundation which are identical except one shows 4.4 miles and other 6 miles. The latter one I printed from the CTF's website, the former one was sent to me in hard copy by the CTF when they sent me the guidebook. And the guidebook (page 68) says 6 miles.

Anyone know which is correct?

echoes
06-20-2011, 22:08
Judging by my topo map, the 4.4 miles seems to be correct.

Mags
06-20-2011, 22:11
According to the map, the WEST LEG is 4.4 miles. The East Leg is closer to 6 IIRC.

See this trail forum thread for more deets:
http://trailforums.com/detail.cfm?EntryID=139414#139414

Cookerhiker
02-23-2012, 14:19
News about the 2012 reopening of Waterton Canyon - right from the source.

http://denverwater.org/Recreation/WatertonCanyon/