PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stoves vs. other stoves

Graywolf
04-10-2011, 17:31
I have a trangia and love it. Although I havnt used it at high elevations over 7000 feet. I do know that it takes alcohol stoves longer to heat up at higher elevations. What would you say? Did you use an alcohol stove on your CThike or did you use a white gas/canaster stove? Im curious..

Mags
04-10-2011, 20:52
I have a trangia and love it. Although I havnt used it at high elevations over 7000 feet. I do know that it takes alcohol stoves longer to heat up at higher elevations. What would you say? Did you use an alcohol stove on your CThike or did you use a white gas/canaster stove? Im curious..

Alchy works fine for any elevations you'll find in the lower 48. I used one for the CT and CDT as high as 13k ft. Did not notice any substantial time difference for my cooking. (Though I go stoveless now for many of my backpacking trips now)

Graywolf
04-10-2011, 20:56
Alchy works fine for any elevations you'll find in the lower 48. I used one for the CT and CDT as high as 13k ft. Did not notice any substantial time difference for my cooking. (Though I go stoveless now for many of my backpacking trips now)

Thanks Mags. I really like my trangia so I plan to take it with me...It has really worked fine for me over these years,, I do miss my little whisperlite sometimes. Maybe nostalgia..

300winmag
04-21-2011, 20:11
Mags,

The ONLY alky stove I'd take is a Caldera Cone Sidewinder or other CC stove. this is because it is THE most efficient in using alky (or ESBIT) stove heat.

Personally I'd use ESBIT tabs instead of alky for any trip over 4 days B/C the fuel is lighter (and ESBIT is a little hotter).

Eric

Mags
04-21-2011, 20:50
Mags,

The ONLY alky stove I'd take is a Caldera Cone Sidewinder or other CC stove. this is because it is THE most efficient in using alky (or ESBIT) stove heat.

Eric

My "stove" was a cut off Coke can for a good chunk of the CDT. :D

Worked good enough. ;)

Remember, it's only gear. Up to a certain point, it basically all works...

Spirit Walker
04-21-2011, 22:31
I used an alcohol stove to feed two of us on our 2006 CDT thruhike. We had no problems.

300winmag
04-22-2011, 18:16
Mags,

Since alcohol, even ethanol, is low on BTUs saving fuel weight by having a Caldera Cone is the point. Probably the alky burner that comes with the CC is just average or a little better for efficiency but teh cone makes the burner VERY efficient in heat conservation.

Eric

Mags
04-25-2011, 01:17
Mags,

Since alcohol, even ethanol, is low on BTUs saving fuel weight by having a Caldera Cone is the point. Probably the alky burner that comes with the CC is just average or a little better for efficiency but teh cone makes the burner VERY efficient in heat conservation.

Eric

KISS.

How efficient is it when you are boiling two cups of water when all is said an done?

But it is only an alcohol stove. ~1 oz boils two cups of water at the end of he day.

Gear is the least important of backpacking. The splitting hairs difference between types of stoves even more so. ;)

I am glad you found a stove that works for you.

Happy trails!