PDA

View Full Version : miss janets edge

mweinstone
04-10-2011, 19:38
miss janets doing swell. and its partly because she knows all the pitfalls not to fall into. following her trail journel can really clearly exsplaine to the newbee what she knows that anyone can use to hike their own hike and make it to maine to boot. when shes camping away from crowds she has her privacy. when offered side tripping magic shes free and explores with no concern for time and schedual. shes liveing the thruhikers dream. her writtings bring joy and tears of envy.add to her imence storhouse of knowlage about the trip,..the love pouring out like a red carpet in front of her,..and what you have hear folks is a classic thruhike with all the trimmings. this is the best thing on ATV this year. dont change that channel! if only,..we could watch on appalatelvision. alas,..sigh.........life is, le grind.

mweinstone
04-10-2011, 19:39
i would give most anything save my eternal soul to hike with her.

innermountain
04-10-2011, 20:28
Fantastic!!!

Lone Wolf
04-10-2011, 21:05
miss janets doing swell. and its partly because she knows all the pitfalls not to fall into. following her trail journel can really clearly exsplaine to the newbee what she knows that anyone can use to hike their own hike and make it to maine to boot. when shes camping away from crowds she has her privacy. when offered side tripping magic shes free and explores with no concern for time and schedual. shes liveing the thruhikers dream. her writtings bring joy and tears of envy.add to her imence storhouse of knowlage about the trip,..the love pouring out like a red carpet in front of her,..and what you have hear folks is a classic thruhike with all the trimmings. this is the best thing on ATV this year. dont change that channel! if only,..we could watch on appalatelvision. alas,..sigh.........life is, le grind.

what journal? it ain't been updated since 3 days before she left

Trailbender
04-10-2011, 21:36
Got a link?

Mother Nature
04-10-2011, 21:42

Check again! :sun She spent 6 hours on my computer working on it yesterday.

WingedMonkey
04-10-2011, 21:43
Got a link?
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=336874

Lone Wolf
04-10-2011, 22:08
Check again! :sun She spent 6 hours on my computer working on it yesterday.

where is she? miles-wise?

mweinstone
04-10-2011, 22:17
51 miles................more by now.

Lone Wolf
04-10-2011, 22:30
wow. 3 weeks. stellar

mweinstone
04-10-2011, 22:34
shes in hiawassi at whats his names house.i forget. hes real well known. just spoke with her minutes ago. shes great! still miss janet 100%. so shes at his house in hiawassi but in real trailtime shes at unicoy gap 16 miles back and tommorow will hike the 4 days into hiawasi! lol. not. slow is cool.

Ron Haven
04-11-2011, 10:31
shes in hiawassi at whats his names house.i forget. hes real well known. just spoke with her minutes ago. shes great! still miss janet 100%. so shes at his house in hiawassi but in real trailtime shes at unicoy gap 16 miles back and tommorow will hike the 4 days into hiawasi! lol. not. slow is cool.
Ya for Miss Janet.

Jack Tarlin
04-11-2011, 10:59
Anyone unimpressed with Miss Janet's travels or mileage might do well to tell us how much THEY'VE hiked in the past few weeks. Truth is, she's got 50 more Georgia miles in recent days than her critics do.

I think she's doing great.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-11-2011, 11:05
wow. 3 weeks. stellar

Be nice, at least 'she' made it past Woody Gap. ;) Sly and I will see you soon.

FatMan
04-11-2011, 13:58
I am very happy to see that Miss Janet is moving on up the trail and doing it her way. You go girl.

It was a pleasure having her over to my mountain home at Grassy Gap. I am glad she enjoyed her meal, shower, and her accommodations.

Tenderheart
04-11-2011, 15:41
Anyone unimpressed with Miss Janet's travels or mileage might do well to tell us how much THEY'VE hiked in the past few weeks. Truth is, she's got 50 more Georgia miles in recent days than her critics do.

I agree. And who said it was a race or a contest anyway? Never met the lady but have heard great things. I wish her well.

litefoot

Bootstrap
04-11-2011, 15:46
This is so cool! Thanks for sharing this!

rhjanes
04-11-2011, 16:12
I'm glad to read her TJ's also. I didn't think I would from the first few posts, but like the latest one's. Good for her.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2011, 16:17

nobody is criticizing. just pointing out the FACT that 50 miles in 3 weeks is hardly condusive to a successful thru-hike. just bein' honest

takethisbread
04-11-2011, 17:25

your posts bring joy and envy and a smile to me every time matty

thank you

RITBlake
04-11-2011, 18:17
nobody is criticizing. just pointing out the FACT that 50 miles in 3 weeks is hardly condusive to a successful thru-hike.

And? Who cares.

max patch
04-11-2011, 18:26
I don't know the hiker in question.

I don't know if the reports of hiking 50 miles in 3 weeks, an average of 17 miles per week, are true.

But if so:

2,181/17 = 128 weeks.

Yeah, I'd say LW is right on this one.

Tipi Walter
04-11-2011, 18:36

Miles have NOTHING TO DO with living outdoors with a pack on the back. Whiteblaze and thruhikers in general have an obsession with daily miles walked, verging on testosterone-induced retardation.

Skidsteer
04-11-2011, 18:43
...verging on testosterone-induced retardation.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Sierra Echo
04-11-2011, 18:54
I have yet to meet a man that didn't suffer from testosterone-induced retardation. :rolleyes:

Jim Adams
04-11-2011, 18:59
....hey y'all, watch this!

geek

general
04-11-2011, 19:00
it's a birth defect.

slingblade
04-11-2011, 19:06
At Trail Days 2000 it took me three weeks to walk from Dot's to my tent.

ScrapIron
04-11-2011, 19:19
Hope she hikes her own hike, whether or not she finishes.

Evidently, she must be a helluva woman, for even though I am new to this hiking stuff, I have already met many people who hold her in very high regard. That alone speaks volumes about her character.

Trailbender
04-11-2011, 19:21
Miles have NOTHING TO DO with living outdoors with a pack on the back. Whiteblaze and thruhikers in general have an obsession with daily miles walked, verging on testosterone-induced retardation.

Technically they do, if you sleep in a tent every night. Learning to layer, what clothing works, sleep system, ect, is gained by experience. I hike slow, or fast, depending on how I feel.

mweinstone
04-11-2011, 19:35
remember the sith wolf.....remember ms. never underestimate the turtle young wolf. for it is only to pace they list and never unrested.

general
04-11-2011, 19:36
At Trail Days 2000 it took me three weeks to walk from Dot's to my tent.

that wasn't your tent, oh wait, that was somebody else.

mweinstone
04-11-2011, 19:37
ya cant make this ship up.

mweinstone
04-11-2011, 19:47
in the words of my dear friend panzer,..." i dont even know what were talking about".
i like it.
allow me to show you all who will see, miss janets future. specificaly next april first. when i first arrived, janet wanted to know where my girlfriend was. one of the rules of traveling to other times is lots of stuff diddnt happen yet. so i faked it and said shes with friends that i dont know on some girl hike. she looks great. after her crazy 11 month thruhike she lost the short hair thing and went full beauty biblicly long hair. shes great. her erwin hiking center was built in the blink of an eye by a capitol investment banker whos daughters hiked maine with janet and became famouse friends. he built her a house and lots of yurts and a cool classroom and kitchen with a stage out back and an most eggsulent tree swing i just abused fully. the rope is shreaded where i held myself extra high against a tree. janets holding a class right now on creative trail writting. she thinks im comming in to say high but im charging the flux capacitor now and i gotta turn off this computer. anyway, shes really fine this first day of her first season in her new hostel. matthewski out.

Ankle Bone
04-11-2011, 20:48
wow. 3 weeks. stellar

What started as a journal may soon become a blog

Lone Wolf
04-11-2011, 21:01
What started as a journal may soon become a blog

what's a blog?

Ankle Bone
04-11-2011, 21:07
what's a blog?

A rambling diary of thoughts that are usually of interest to only the author. Or, hiker journals that turn into essays because the hiker never actually starts hiking or the hike ends but the entries keep coming. And coming.

Jack Tarlin
04-12-2011, 09:00
Hey Wolf----get a thicker skin. You say you weren't criticizing her, but what you said was hardly meant to be complimentary....you described her hiking and mileage as "stellar." Was this supposed to be nice?

Fact is, the lady has more miles in Georgia this year than 99% of the people on this Forum, myself included. Personally,I think this is stellar, and people who want to poke fun at Miss J. would perhaps do better by joining her, but then riding a keyboard is always easier than doing the miles, no?

Miss Janet is chasing a dream. All well-intended folks should wish her well, regardless of pace, itinerary, or mileage. She's out there doing what most folks just think or talk about.

Tenderheart
04-12-2011, 12:16
I have yet to meet a man that didn't suffer from testosterone-induced retardation. :rolleyes:

Hey, I think I resemble that remark.

litefoot

John B
04-12-2011, 12:25
A rambling diary of thoughts that are usually of interest to only the author. Or, hiker journals that turn into essays because the hiker never actually starts hiking or the hike ends but the entries keep coming. And coming.

Ha! Now that's funny. :banana

I'd quote that but I don't know if my editor would accept an attribution to "Ankle Bone."

TOW
04-12-2011, 12:30

I don't know if the reports of hiking 50 miles in 3 weeks, an average of 17 miles per week, are true.

But if so:

2,181/17 = 128 weeks.

She'll get there when she gets there........

TOW
04-12-2011, 12:32
I have yet to meet a man that didn't suffer from testosterone-induced retardation. :rolleyes:not me.........

skooch
04-12-2011, 15:12
She can make it! Just flipflop and head south again. Take your time that way. Take all year if you want to. She is an inspiration to women and has a heart for this hiking thing. Naysayers Suck

Mags
04-12-2011, 15:43
She's out there every day.

I pine for my weekends.

I'm envious. :)

Sly
04-12-2011, 17:41

But if so:

2,181/17 = 128 weeks.

Barring injury, after a few more weeks she should increase her mileage. While it may not be the best approach, lots of people get in shape as they hike. I hope she hangs there. It will be a great accomplishment and experience

max patch
04-12-2011, 18:04
Naysayers Suck

There are no "naysayers" on this thread.

skooch
04-12-2011, 18:18
My mistake then

mweinstone
04-12-2011, 22:42
naysayers welcome. love me some sayerfry. miss janet will do this. miss janet will do that. we love miss janet. miss janets at so and so's house. miss janet miss janet. im beginning to get a little tired of this miss janet . what with her fancy dancy dog and her hiking stix and that grin of egerness. and her fun filled days and nights with all the associated guitar music and marshmallowry.....its just about all i can do to sit here not hikeing without some hikerlady hikeing all in my face. man. this sucks. i love her.

camojack
04-13-2011, 04:05
Yeah, men should be more like women...who never have any hormone-related issues. :confused:
(Pardon me now, while I go vomit... :D)

mweinstone
04-13-2011, 08:05
today in philadelphia its raining radiation.
today at janets feet , my own personal appalachian trail sits begging janet to hike. the woman has my trail wooped. hes layed down for her. totaly whooped. he offers her senic rest stops and pours her cups of cool spring water and blows the hair from her eyes with gentle breases. i am begining to hate my very own personal appalachian trail. its a two timein backstabbin cheater. trail said i was number one. liar! my trail has lied to me. my god what else has this day got? oh great, shes makeing cheesy bread,yeah,..thats being out of food....oooooh,...miss janets low on food....what will she eat?... cheesy bread?! that aint starvin! thats janet foods industrys biggist seller. and matthewskis favorite after 3 gravy biscuts. never forget the biscuts janet. remember the gravys. blackberry tomatoe and white! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. oh, did i mention i hate this day. but would be willing to trade with any current thruhiker wishing they were here.

mweinstone
04-13-2011, 08:22
in exchange for your thruhike you will receive:

one, perfectly safly radiated rainy philadelphia and surounding radiated suburbs.
one one room apt compleet with bike, cookpot, refridgerater and 4 complimentary eggs
one sock of pennies estimated value 1$
one letter of introduction to the alcoholic resturant owner population exsplaining you are takeing over matthewski's position at cheif gofer.
one milk crate to make delivers on your new bike.(actual bike may be 2004)
one eagles bucket to sit on and one 3foot ladder for guests
one small ziplock bag of temporary phillys tattos from last years season.

all trades are final and your trailname will become the property of matthewski inc to be used and or abused where nessisary.offers from hikers more than 300 miles north or south of miss janets current market value position will not be accepted.offer void in minnesota. offers including thruhiking dogs will be concidered first.

mweinstone
04-13-2011, 08:32
dear matthewski
i hakked into your account to post this because im on the trail in georgia and dont have a whiteblaze account. i in fact am sick of my hike, have no place to go and would give you my trip money and gear and remaining mail drops if i could spend the time in your apt writting my new book called "why i traded my thruhike to matthewski". im a sexy blond bombshell single and attracted to matthewski types. call me if this is acceptable. my number is one, ninehundred.........

skooch
04-13-2011, 11:00
today in philadelphia its raining radiation.
today at janets feet , my own personal appalachian trail sits begging janet to hike. the woman has my trail wooped. hes layed down for her. totaly whooped. he offers her senic rest stops and pours her cups of cool spring water and blows the hair from her eyes with gentle breases. i am begining to hate my very own personal appalachian trail. its a two timein backstabbin cheater. trail said i was number one. liar! my trail has lied to me. my god what else has this day got? oh great, shes makeing cheesy bread,yeah,..thats being out of food....oooooh,...miss janets low on food....what will she eat?... cheesy bread?! that aint starvin! thats janet foods industrys biggist seller. and matthewskis favorite after 3 gravy biscuts. never forget the biscuts janet. remember the gravys. blackberry tomatoe and white! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. oh, did i mention i hate this day. but would be willing to trade with any current thruhiker wishing they were here.

I would love to hike with you just once in my life. I could listen to you all day:banana

hikingshoes
04-13-2011, 11:53
I'd like to say for ANY lady that gets out there and hikes/backpacks my hats off to them. I enjoy hiking/backpacking with my lady/bestfriend and enjoy meeting hiker's male/female on the trail (AT). I got say slow is good for me, after working 7/12's for yrs as a pipefitter and to get out in the outdoors is a blessing. If the good lord let's me, I'll be out there in 2012 for my thru-hike. Rock on MS.Janet!!!

Sierra Echo
04-13-2011, 12:11
Yeah, men should be more like women...who never have any hormone-related issues. :confused:

Ugh! Now your bringing bodily fluids into this! Gross!

Old Hiker
04-13-2011, 12:19

No, he's removing body fluids.

Sierra Echo
04-13-2011, 12:19
No, he's removing body fluids.

You are so right!

Panzer1
04-13-2011, 12:28
when your on the trail its not how many miles you can hike that counts, its being on the trail that counts.

Panzer

Old Hiker
04-13-2011, 12:38
You are so right!

But it's still so wrong!

Sly
04-13-2011, 14:37

LOL... where's the reputation button?

Sierra Echo
04-13-2011, 16:02
But it's still so wrong!

I agree!!!!!!

danger zone
04-13-2011, 16:39
GOOOOOOOO Miss Janet. I talked to her last week...really made me miss the trail. Hmmmm, maybe another thru in the near future:-?

Ankle Bone
04-13-2011, 18:09

If an award is given for Post of the Year, you have my vote!

kayak karl
04-13-2011, 19:33
GO GIRL!! i'll see you at some point. :sun

Panzer1
04-13-2011, 19:54
we'll see er when she gets to PA

camojack
04-14-2011, 00:14
I have yet to meet a man that didn't suffer from testosterone-induced retardation. :rolleyes:Yeah, men should be more like women...who never have any hormone-related issues. :confused:

Ummm...that should "you're". :p

LOL... where's the reputation button?
Maybe you could implore the "powers that be" here to add one? :)

If an award is given for Post of the Year, you have my vote!
Thanks!!! It's nice to be appreciated... :jump

Sierra Echo
04-14-2011, 06:18
YOU'RE seriously picking on my grammar? Dude, get a life!

Second Half
04-14-2011, 06:33
YOU'RE seriously picking on my grammar? Dude, get a life!

Your, you're
there, their, they're
to, too, two
lose, loose

All fall under the category "pet peeve"

Gray Blazer
04-14-2011, 07:08
Your, you're
there, their, they're
to, too, two
lose, loose

All fall under the category "pet peeve"

I had a pet peeve once. Had to get rid of it cuz it ate my pet rock.

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 07:49
any other men here wakeing up with a would be miss janet if i could right now attitude?
every morning its hard not to want to be her instead of her being her so i could be hiking.

Gray Blazer
04-14-2011, 07:57
any other men here wakeing up with a would be miss janet if i could right now attitude?
every morning its hard not to want to be her instead of her being her so i could be hiking.

Everyday! She is one nice lady! (Clarification: I want to be with her, not be her.)

LoneRidgeRunner
04-14-2011, 08:59
nobody is criticizing. just pointing out the FACT that 50 miles in 3 weeks is hardly condusive to a successful thru-hike. just bein' honest

Didn't know there was a "time limit" on a "successful" thru hike...IMO..It doesn't matter if it takes someone 5 months or 2 years to thru hike....HYOH Maybe she wants to take her time and not run a race with any one else..

max patch
04-14-2011, 09:19
Hiker posts on public forum they are doing a thru hike.

Hiker posts on public forum they have hiked 51 miles in 3 weeks.

Poster states that current pace -- which is 2 1/2 years to complete -- is not conducive to a successful hike.

Thats not a negative comment. Thats just a fact.

Hoofit
04-14-2011, 09:42
um? Fifty miles or five hundred miles, who cares?
As often said, it's about the journey, not the destination...
What does her dog have to say about this?
Probably loving the slower pace..
Go girl, wish I could be back there with you this year,
May make it to Trail Days as a consolation.

Hutch
04-14-2011, 10:07
Miss Janet, Hutch and Sparrow wish you Wisdom, Strength and a little Luck AND Have Funnnnn!!!!!

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 10:08
the pecentage of thruhike attemps that fail each year if started at janets pace for even a week or two and up to a month or two at that pace would up the success rate odds to over one billion percent on the obama percent scale. actual percets may vary but you see what im sayin. i allways start slow. never quit for a blister or a knee yet. okay once. but i was 28 and dumb.

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 10:15
the slower
the better
the better
the further
the further
the further

kayak karl
04-14-2011, 10:31
the slower
the better
the better
the further
the further
the further
half a shovel all day, full shovel half a day. worked with a mason when i was younger.:)

One Leg
04-14-2011, 10:34
It's more about the smiles, and less about the miles...

Miss J brought many smiles to this tired hiker's face. I hope she makes it, and if she doesn't, then I hope that she brings home with her a lifetime of happy memories.

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 13:10
we pause this thred to see whos the happyest about miss janets hike.

im so happy, i could bite a lyme tick on the ass.

next.

Gray Blazer
04-14-2011, 13:20
I'll take a bite of Key Lyme pie for MJ.

Panzer1
04-14-2011, 13:34
im so happy, i could bite a lyme tick on the ass.

that's a hard one to follow. :D

Panzer

springerfever
04-14-2011, 19:58
To quote one of my heroes of the trail, O.D. Coyote, who wrote the book Chained Dogs and Songbirds (the world's slowest traverse of the Appalachian Trail), who hiked with a group of fellow hikers simply known as the South Georgia Heathens, and who coined the term "slackpacking"...

"Slackpacking" describes and unhurried style of long-distance hiking, that seeks to maximize the opportunities to stop, enjoy, and leisurely explore the countless sideshows and diversions passed along the way. The notion of 'slack' indicates, "a lack of tension, or looseness," "flowing or blowing with little speed," and a sense of "lacking in work."

To "slackpack" means to attempt to backpack in a manner that is never trying, difficult, or tense; but in an easy, ambling, slowly free-flowing way that follows whatever various currents of interest, attraction, or stimulation might be blowing at that moment.

Keep up the good work, Miss Janet.........

springerfever
04-14-2011, 20:51
i was a "slackpacker" long before OD ever thought about it. in 86 my trail name was The Yankee Slackpacker.

LoneWolf

Glad to hear you follow the slackpacking philosophy.

O.D. completed his thru-hike in 1980. Starting February 29 and finishing November 17, his thru-hike spanned 263 days.

Its a shame most folks speed through their hike, and compete between one another from one point to another. If they make it to Katahdin, they usually slowdown once they realize the end is near.

Johnny Thunder
04-14-2011, 21:52
I would love to hike with you just once in my life. I could listen to you all day:banana

i think i might have the most miles with matty. like they say: it gets better.

mweinstone
04-14-2011, 22:26
come home johnney. we could chase miss janet.lol.

Johnny Thunder
04-15-2011, 00:44
come home johnney. we could chase miss janet.lol.

i'd catch her in 2 weeks, tops. your boy's fast these days.

mweinstone
04-15-2011, 06:43
we pause this thred for a breif forrey into the forrest for a breifing on folks bereft of forrest who feel funny and want their money back.

i came into this world volentarily. thats right im a volenteer. unlike most of you, im not here for all fun . i got bathrooms to clean and the kings toe crud washclothes to scrub. anyway, theres a point at witch even the kings toe jam towel and tea boy cannot remaine totaly toungeless. and that point has not quite been reached yet. i would need like 6 more big incedents to knock me off my feet and cause me to spill the beans about what i know. but in the meantime,..........ill remain quiet.

carry on.

after you come home johnney!!!!!!!!

Miss Janet
04-17-2011, 20:31

Do I still love you??

Miss Janet
04-17-2011, 20:46
Hiker posts on public forum they are doing a thru hike.

Hiker posts on public forum they have hiked 51 miles in 3 weeks.

Poster states that current pace -- which is 2 1/2 years to complete -- is not conducive to a successful hike.

Thats not a negative comment. Thats just a fact.

My Mom did this same math and came to the same conclusion... so maybe I will be on the three year plan! But dang, I am having too much fun to be be in a hurry. It is sad to say that I have already seen people go home hurt and sad because they were pushing too many miles, too fast. I may never be a Thruhiker... only a few of the 10,000 plus hikers I have met over the years are! Some of the hikers I have seen go home might have been contenders for those few finishing spots if they were starting off slower! Some of them might have had a better start if they had not paid so much attention to EXPERTs on hiking websites!

You are wrong about one thing... this is a very successful hike so far!!!!

mweinstone
04-17-2011, 20:56
i must redouble my efforts to storm the gates of artworld and join miss janets hike allready in progress.

smithers? i will need most of your skin.....

Miss Janet
04-17-2011, 20:59

If you want to keep up with how many miles I walk each day, where I pitch my tent and how often I eat ramen noodles or how I treat my water... my journal will not be a good one for you to read. I am so sorry! But it is MY journal and what better place for my own thoughts and rambling "blog like" posts? Pick another journal because I am sure I will continue to waste your time.

mweinstone
04-17-2011, 21:01
miss janet is our last hope. when the last thruhikers molest the slopes of miss katahdin on october 15th . only miss janet will remaine to hike vicariously through. and only her perswasive sexy will con the park official to opening the mountain for her, if he can acompany of course. and on that sunny warm globaly extra warm december day, our last hope of hiking thru her and anyone else this season will vanish. we must protect her at all costs. bacon cashes must be prepared for the cold times.

camojack
04-18-2011, 01:26
My Mom did this same math and came to the same conclusion... so maybe I will be on the three year plan! But dang, I am having too much fun to be be in a hurry. It is sad to say that I have already seen people go home hurt and sad because they were pushing too many miles, too fast. I may never be a Thruhiker... only a few of the 10,000 plus hikers I have met over the years are! Some of the hikers I have seen go home might have been contenders for those few finishing spots if they were starting off slower! Some of them might have had a better start if they had not paid so much attention to EXPERTs on hiking websites!

Don't let the naysayers bring you down; starting slow is certainly not unprecedented...remember, "HYOH"!!! ;)

Rockhound
04-18-2011, 02:41
"It's not about the miles. It's about the smiles" There, someone had to say it. You might even outhike my ass this year MJ. Again, not that it matters. And you will most likely have more miles than most of the cyberhikers reading this thread so joke em' if they can't take a screw. And of course you still love LW. You know deep down inside he's a big softie. This was proven to me very recently. This is just the interwebs. It doesn't count.

mweinstone
04-18-2011, 06:41
im developing an internet home lwolf test to allow folks to know when hes safe.it calculates such factors as beers consumed and near or farness from traildays.it tells you what type of joke will work for him and what wont. all by useing punctuation algerythems and a small webcam ive left in his beard.

Jim Adams
04-18-2011, 22:44
Janet...don't pay any attention to the naysayers...just walk, be amazed, smile, have fun, make new friends, enjoy the beauty and go until you feel the need to quit...bet that need doesn't come soon!

geek

McPick
04-19-2011, 00:07

'Nuf said... Hike on Miss J.

mweinstone
04-25-2011, 22:47
so coooooooool.........

ChinMusic
04-26-2011, 00:20
so coooooooool.........
I agree. Go Janet, go

mweinstone
04-30-2011, 17:47
she hiked over albert mountain today. got a happy text this morn.

springerfever
04-30-2011, 19:55
Albert is such a trip. Should have had a nice view from the tower. If she made that pull up the mountain my hats off to her!! You go girl....

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-30-2011, 20:35
Janet...don't pay any attention to the naysayers...just walk, be amazed, smile, have fun, make new friends, enjoy the beauty and go until you feel the need to quit...bet that need doesn't come soon!

geek

Geek's got it 100% right Miss Janet, enjoy 'your' hike.

camojack
05-01-2011, 00:26
Geek's got it 100% right Miss Janet, enjoy 'your' hike.
I said it first...but who's counting? :rolleyes:

tenn_hiker
05-01-2011, 22:09
was she on standing indian on thursday night? i had heard from a lady coming down the mountain that she was.. me and the guy i was hiking with, "the highway man", headed up to the summit to stay the night but never saw her..

mweinstone
05-02-2011, 07:51
text from janet with picture mail sent yesterday to me:

"sunset from the albert mt firetower...i made it up that sucker by gosh!you diddnt tell me about that one!"

Bootstrap
05-20-2011, 17:13
Any recent sitings?

Go, Janet, Go!

mweinstone
05-20-2011, 18:32
janet was at traildays. i had the honor of walking around with ian her grand and daughter katies son, the prince of erwin. me and ian watched the helos depart and land and discussed being spacemen. hes a champ. shes a champ. katies a darling. i love my janets. shes healthy and fisty and rearin to go and doin it right and haveing a blast. fabian was a little busy with his new found life on the trail . my bacon entreats were less powerfull than usual. but he knows who his daddy is.

janet, i want you to die your hair some wild color and let the other miss janet out. its time. you know what i mean.and i will require your rock sweat while in pa. i will be collecting it and selling it on ebay.

matthewski

Country Roads
05-20-2011, 20:50
I have hiked GA and it ain't easy. I loved the AT in GA, but it kicked my butt. I think she is doing awesome!

Ashman
05-22-2011, 19:37
Good to hear she is doing well, her Trail Journal hasn't been updated in a well. I wish her well!

mweinstone
05-22-2011, 19:40
janets edge is sharp and able to seperate even sinue from bone. hikeatarily speaking.

mweinstone
06-05-2011, 19:02
miss janet called last eve. shes hikin north! and some south. but comming north. im not ever postin anyones whereabouts even though they ask or not. shes commin!
this trail community makes me wish i was a simple dullard with a boreing life and friends who wore more searsucker than now. but then i remember that the wounds bleeding from my soul were caused by the rivers of salt laden tears of joy careening over my body eroding my will to live in a city to its jugular. the wills jugular aint no joke. you know whats a joke? matty lives in a city where the word trail is neither spoken, nor imagined. only fishin fred blaze around our necks even keep us breathing. when we see the blaze in the mirror, our souls hike. we dont go on these hikes with our souls. nor do we even know of them. but each glance in a mirror when our pendants show, a door slams inside. that was the soul hightailing it out for hikes. waiting by the locked door that is our mind. the soul sits, knowing that its only hope is the unconsious. and that , only if triggered by a glance at freds blaze jewelry he gives us.if i loose this necklass, i die. inside. then i am zombie. and that is a state we discuss much here for just this reason. hikers never actualy die. they zombifiy. trustory. jt?

LIhikers
06-05-2011, 22:31
I'm in big trouble! :eek:
I know exactly what Matty was saying, and I've never even met him,...yet.
I've got one of Fishin Fred's pieces too. He gave it to me when we met at the Hiker's Welcome Hostel a couple years back...Thanks!

JaxHiker
06-05-2011, 23:02
Let her know the Dodger is looking for her. He was sorely disappointed when he learned he'd missed her.

SouthMark
06-05-2011, 23:07

If this was Facebook I would have to select the "Like" button.

neighbor dave
06-06-2011, 06:45
miss janet called last eve. shes hikin north! and some south. but comming north. im not ever postin anyones whereabouts even though they ask or not. shes commin!
this trail community makes me wish i was a simple dullard with a boreing life and friends who wore more searsucker than now. but then i remember that the wounds bleeding from my soul were caused by the rivers of salt laden tears of joy careening over my body eroding my will to live in a city to its jugular. the wills jugular aint no joke. you know whats a joke? matty lives in a city where the word trail is neither spoken, nor imagined. only fishin fred blaze around our necks even keep us breathing. when we see the blaze in the mirror, our souls hike. we dont go on these hikes with our souls. nor do we even know of them. but each glance in a mirror when our pendants show, a door slams inside. that was the soul hightailing it out for hikes. waiting by the locked door that is our mind. the soul sits, knowing that its only hope is the unconsious. and that , only if triggered by a glance at freds blaze jewelry he gives us.if i loose this necklass, i die. inside. then i am zombie. and that is a state we discuss much here for just this reason. hikers never actualy die. they zombifiy. trustory. jt?

good stuff

Old Hiker
06-06-2011, 07:57
But wouldn't being a zombie make thru-hiking easier?

You don't worry about blisters or even broken legs: can't feel them.

Weather won't affect you: just lurch thru it.

Stream-crossings: who cares? You don't breath anyway.

Don't have to carry food, water or shelter (tent+bag), so your big 4 are 0 pounds. Food is found at every shelter at night, usually. Just pick any sleeping hiker and go for the brains. (Wait, do thru-hikers HAVE brains? Doesn't matter: plenty of day/section hikers to choose from.)

Hiking poles: nope. Fall down, get up. Fall down, get up. Fall down............

Maybe a thread for why hiking as a zombie is better than............ whatever?

Ankle Bone
06-07-2011, 18:11
If you want to keep up with how many miles I walk each day, where I pitch my tent and how often I eat ramen noodles or how I treat my water... my journal will not be a good one for you to read. I am so sorry! But it is MY journal and what better place for my own thoughts and rambling "blog like" posts? Pick another journal because I am sure I will continue to waste your time.

Wow.

To clarify, once I read that you had completed 51 miles in 3 weeks, I made a mental note to skip your blog, so no time wasted to date.

Happy Trail Towns!

erinjoy777
06-09-2011, 23:28
I just want to know how Miss J is doing since her last post! I felt so bad when I read that she's allergic to her dog! I really hope the doggie tent works out for her so she can keep going.

Miss Janet, you inspire me! Keep up the awesome work!