PDA

View Full Version : Worst part of the trail for snakes?

jthue
04-10-2011, 19:41
Snakes, I hate the damn things. What's the worst part of the trail for them? How often have you seen them? Ever been bothered or attacked?

Jersey Tim
04-10-2011, 19:55
Pennsylvania. Lots of rocks in the sun means lots of basking rattlers out in the open.

Montana Mac
04-10-2011, 20:13
They are there. Copperheads bother me more then rattlers. At least the rattler will try to let you know they are around.

Saw one on the trail going into Harpers Ferry and one going into NY state.

Saw copperhead on the climb p to Dragon Tooth. All of them were right on the trail.

harryfred
04-10-2011, 20:19
Snakes do not attack or bother. I Have hiked the AT from DWG, PA to Front Royal VA a lot of it several times the most I have consistently seen snakes is from Swatara Gap to Route 309 and that was mostly Black Snakes, they won't move unless you walk in front of them then they turn and move on Garters will stay very still unless you try to touch them then they may bite but they are non poisonous The dreaded rattlers feel vibration so will for the most part move on before you get there if you hear one rattle backup two steps and go around. Copper Heads are the hardest to see and the most aggressive but they will NOT attack you if you see one simply give it a wide birth and move on. If chances are you will walk by dozens and never even know.

innermountain
04-10-2011, 20:28
PA is the worst, but you'll want to be aware the whole time obviously

emerald
04-10-2011, 20:46
It's more likely than not to complete the A.T. in Pennsylvania without ever seeing a venomous snake, but knowing how to identify them and leaving them alone will go a long way toward avoiding any unfortunate incident.

I will be back with my standard reply from Pennsylvania's Fish and Boat Commission and Department of Conservation and Natural Resources I have posted many times before. It's about time ATC provide the information or something similar on its website.

emerald
04-10-2011, 21:33
Contrary to what some readers may have heard, there are only two species of venomous snakes found on the Appalachian Trail, timber rattlesnakes (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/wildlife/rattlesnakes.aspx) and copperheads (http://www.fish.state.pa.us/copprhe.htm). As has been pointed out here previously, cottonmouths do not occur north of Virginia and are found only south and east of the A.T. corridor.

In Pennsylvania, both species are protected by law and anyone who wishes to hunt, take, catch, kill or possess timber rattlesnakes and/or copperheads is required to obtain a permit. If people do not approach them within 1 yard (3 feet), they are harmless.

Excellent images have been posted by Herpn to his gallery (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=3771&searchid=&orderby=title&direction=ASC&cutoffdate=-1). He sometimes works with venomous snakes and thought it important we know how to identify them and show them proper respect.

modiyooch
04-10-2011, 22:39
I hate snakes.

Most bites occur on hands and feet, so watch where you step and reach. I wear high top boots and sleep in a snake proof tent.

I saw two rattlesnakes in PA and copperheads in the South.

I enjoy hiking in Maine because there are no poisonous snakes.

tjforrester
04-10-2011, 22:49
Snakes, I hate the damn things. What's the worst part of the trail for them? How often have you seen them? Ever been bothered or attacked?

This depends on what time of year you hike which section. I've seen rattlers on Tray, but it was hot and they were crawling. Just hiked over Tray a few weeks ago, and it was cold, so there was no chance of seeing a snake.

I've seen several rattlers in PA and in 1999 came close to stepping on one that was in a thatch of grass on the trail. Fortunately I spotted the rattle and stopped mid-step.

I've also seen rattlers in Virginia.

You'll also see copperheads once in a while.

Keep alert and you'll be all right. There are also numerous non-poisonous species on the trail. One of the more interesting ones is the hognose. Google it to discover its peculiar way of dealing with threats.

At one time two blacksnakes lived in the church hostel in Pearisburg. They kept the mouse population down.

singing wind
04-10-2011, 22:54
I'm not too keen on them either, but have only seen the odd one here and there. The ones I've nearly stepped on seemed just as scared as I was. Poor things...

I do take care, as other posters have mentioned, to watch where I place my hands and feet and do my best to look around before sitting down. I seem to remember one poster along time ago who also suggested looking on the other side of rocks and logs before you put your feet over them. Hmmm...so far so good :).

Good luck with your hike!

Driver8
04-11-2011, 00:26
Contrary to what some readers may have heard, there are only two species of venomous snakes found on the Appalachian Trail, timber rattlesnakes (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/wildlife/rattlesnakes.aspx) and copperheads (http://www.fish.state.pa.us/copprhe.htm). As has been pointed out here previously, cottonmouths do not occur north of Virginia and are found only south and east of the A.T. corridor.

In Pennsylvania, both species are protected by law and anyone who wishes to hunt, take, catch, kill or possess timber rattlesnakes and/or copperheads is required to obtain a permit. If people do not approach them within 1 yard (3 feet), they are harmless.

Excellent images have been posted by Herpn to his gallery (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=3771&searchid=&orderby=title&direction=ASC&cutoffdate=-1). He sometimes works with venomous snakes and thought it important we know how to identify them and show them proper respect.

To emerald:

Very informative - thank you!

To all:

I often, when coming upon a big log or rock, poke gently with a trekking pole on the far side of it to check for snakes.

txag
04-11-2011, 01:02
Whether it is legal to kill a snake or not - if one bites me it will meet its demise due to "excessive hiking pole trauma". With the legitimate excuse of identification of species for antivenom as reason.

I was "shook" less than 6 months ago and my hike was ended as the snake arrogantly slid up the trail and hid again.

emerald
04-11-2011, 01:08
By now, you ought to be able to tell the difference between a timber rattlesnake and a copperhead. If you are close enough to get bit, you should also be close enough to identify what bit you.

Carbo
04-11-2011, 07:30
I ran into a timber rattlesnake on, of all places, Rattlesnake Mtn in NJ. A cool summer morning, it was sunning itself right on the trail. It gave fair warning when I got within a few feet of it.

This is north of Catfish Fire Tower. Strange, I never did see any catfish on the trail!

SerenitySeeker
04-11-2011, 07:39
@Modiyooch...snakeproof tent? details please

mweinstone
04-11-2011, 07:43

ever see the vidio," honey badger"? where he eats snakes, gets bit by a cobra, falls asleep, wakes up and continues eating the cobra? no snake causes much fear after the honey badger is done. honey badger dont care.

Harrison Bergeron
04-11-2011, 08:57
I've never understood the irrational fear of snakes. What is it about them that scares people so much? Ever since I was a boy, I've been the exact opposite -- they're so rare and facinating that I can hardly restrain myself from trying to catch them for a closer look. And personally, I much prefer dangerous animals that run from me than the other kind -- like bears, mice, spiders, and ticks.

I've known lots of people who have been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, including my daughter, but in 56 years of life, I have only met one person who was ever bitten by a snake -- my next door neighbor. He nearly died from being bitten by an 8" coral snake. He was trying to kill it with a garden hoe and missed.

Spiders are far more common on the trail than rattle snakes, and the bite can be just as deadly. My daughter never saw the spider that bit her in her sleep in her own bed. She was hospitolized and still has the scar where the flesh on her stomach turned black and died (she's thinking about getting a spider tattoo to cover it).

More people died from Hanta virus last year than from snake bites. It's carried by mice.

The most dangerous creature on the trail? Ticks.

Second Half
04-11-2011, 09:13
I plan to have this guy hike ahead of me to clear the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMigVo1pyA

harryfred
04-11-2011, 09:35
I hate snakes.

Most bites occur on hands and feet, so watch where you step and reach. I wear high top boots and sleep in a snake proof tent.

I saw two rattlesnakes in PA and copperheads in the South.

I enjoy hiking in Maine because there are no poisonous snakes.

Most bites occur on the hands or feet because someone was reaching for or chasing after the snake.

modiyooch
04-11-2011, 09:42
@Modiyooch...snakeproof tent? details please
unless they can eat a hole through my tent, they ain't getting in. It stays zippered. I like being in the wilderness, but I don't care to sleep with snakes, spiders or mice. And I refuse to get wet. My tent is a major investment.

modiyooch
04-11-2011, 09:47
two kinds of snakes that I detest: live ones and dead ones.

I will say that I was fascinated to watch a copperhead swim with a fish perpendicular to his mouth. The fish was a good size. He swam to shore and proceeded to eat it whole. What I didn't like was that it was at a local swimming hole near some beautiful waterfalls.

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 10:10
More people died from Hanta virus last year than from snake bites. It's carried by mice. The most dangerous creature on the trail? Ticks.

Yep. The fear of snakes is SO irrational and out of whack, I wonder if some of these good folks might quality for mental health counseling. Truly.

Rain Man

tdoczi
04-11-2011, 10:32
I've never understood the irrational fear of snakes. What is it about them that scares people so much? Ever since I was a boy, I've been the exact opposite -- they're so rare and facinating that I can hardly restrain myself from trying to catch them for a closer look. And personally, I much prefer dangerous animals that run from me than the other kind -- like bears, mice, spiders, and ticks.

i wouldnt say i'm particularly afraid of snakes, but twice while hiking i've stepped on snakes accidentally. luckily neither was venomous (still have never seen a venomous snake, though i'm sure i obliviously walked right past them many times).

now, if the day ever comes that i'm strolling along minding my own business and i too late notice that rattler right at the side of the trail and it doesnt take kindly to being stepped on i'm likely in for a world of hurt. am i going to die? no. thats of a little consolation though. bears i can see and avoid before theyre a problem. ive gotten a million tick bites and theyve never hurt me a bit. i see your point about spiders, but even mice, if you did get bit its like ticks, MAYBE youll get sick from them, but just as likely you wont.

V Eight
04-11-2011, 13:38
ever see the vidio," honey badger"? where he eats snakes, gets bit by a cobra, falls asleep, wakes up and continues eating the cobra? no snake causes much fear after the honey badger is done. honey badger dont care.

http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg

He just don't give a $h1t!

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 14:39
i see your point about spiders, but even mice, if you did get bit its like ticks, MAYBE youll get sick from them, but just as likely you wont.

And if you knew anything about snakes, especially venomous ones, you'd know the same is true. Venom is an extremely precious resource to each snake. It takes a good deal of time and work tracking, killing, and digesting the right kind of food in order to manufacture venom. Snakes instinctively do NOT waste it. Thus many snake bites of large creatures are "dry." They use it to kill food of a size they can swallow.

Rain:sunMan

tdoczi
04-11-2011, 15:33
And if you knew anything about snakes, especially venomous ones, you'd know the same is true. Venom is an extremely precious resource to each snake. It takes a good deal of time and work tracking, killing, and digesting the right kind of food in order to manufacture venom. Snakes instinctively do NOT waste it. Thus many snake bites of large creatures are "dry." They use it to kill food of a size they can swallow.

all true, but if you get bit by a rattler are you going to keep going about your business and wait and see if anything bad happens? i'm certainly not. if i get bit by a mouse on the other hand i'll finish what i'm doing and go get checked first reasonable chance i get. one is a potentially serious emergency, the other is an inconvenience.

Driver8
04-11-2011, 16:19
I've never understood the irrational fear of snakes.

I think the fear is instinctive in some people. First snake I ever saw as a kid, a speckled king snake, scared the dickens out of me. I don't believe I was preconditioned to be scared of them.

Have come to be interested in and fascinated by them, though a healthy, imo, element of fear remains.

hikerboy57
04-11-2011, 16:40
You will most likely not get bitten by a snake unless you step on one. I was Hiking in Harriman state park last summer and as I was walking by a rock, I happened to notice a rattler on top, drunk with the sun, didnt even flinch although my foot was just inches away.After that, I paid a lot closer attention to where I was putting my feet and hands. If they know you're around, like most wildlife, theyll get lost.Just pay attention.There are plenty of rattlers in PA thru NY/CT become much rarer as you head north.

Bearpaw
04-11-2011, 17:00
Saw at least 2 dozen black snakes in Virginia. LOTS of them there. Always a bit of a start when I first spotted them because they were typically 4-6 feet long, but they were completely harmless and slid away quickly.

Heard a rattlesnake in central Virginia, but didn't stick around to look for it. Saw one napping in the shade of some boulders while scrambling in PA. Encountered an aggressive young copperhead in NJ. I had to flick it away with a trekking pole as it slithered quickly toward me. It hustled off after that.

You'll be snakes out there. It's just the way things are. But mostly, they are big harmless black snakes. Get used to them.

d.o.c
04-11-2011, 17:07
the only dangerous snakes i saw were in PA lots of other not to scary snakes thru out id say but PA took the cake but it was also the hotest part of the trail for me heart of the summer.

Carbo
04-11-2011, 17:40
There seems to be an instinctive fear of snakes with some animals especially our cat. When the cat is near the garden hose, all you have to do is give the hose a sudden jerk and the cat will jump a good foot in the air! Funny to see, but my wife gets all over me if she catches me "terrorizing" the cat.

Harrison Bergeron
04-11-2011, 18:59
It comes down to this -- there's million ways to die. Why worry about ones that hardly ever happen?

Jim Adams
04-11-2011, 19:03
It comes down to this -- there's million ways to die. Why worry about ones that hardly ever happen?

What a great statement!:cool:

geek

JackRyan
04-11-2011, 21:15

I think I'm going to keep one of those as a pet instead of a dog!

During the summer I work as an Animal Removal Tech, (think billy the exterminator but more professional). Where I work (Flint), I have to deal with a lot of snakes. People buy them as pets, they get loose, etc.

I'm the same way as jthue. I can't stand them. But I suck it up and do my job.

On the trail (as others have stated before me) I would think it comes down to keeping aware of whats around/in front of you and being careful.

modiyooch
04-11-2011, 21:21
saw a long, black racer today. It was moving very fast away from me. I just don't care for it.

Rain Man
04-11-2011, 22:17

Irrationality? Mental illness? Hard to judge, but it's definitely something not sane, because it is way, way out of whack given the actual risk.

Reminds me of that TV character "Monk" in a perverse sort of way. It's not right, he knows it isn't, but his mind is just messed up enough that he can't help himself.

jthue
04-11-2011, 22:46
Sorry Jon, I just hate the things, but I am glad that you enjoy them. Growing up in utah and Idaho I have a love for moose although they are dangerous. People always thought I was crazy to try to get as close to them as possible, without bothering them of course. So I know what your talking about. Snakes just terrify me. I appreciate everyones advice and guidance on here. I plan to hike the whole AT someday, but this fall I'm just doing a 380 mile section of it in VA. Does anyone know about the snake situation in southern and mid virginia?

jthue
04-11-2011, 23:06
Also, is it true you can't hike at night and make up some ground cause snakes are all over the trail waiting for food to run by?

Feral Bill
04-11-2011, 23:42

Got a trail name for you: Indy, or maybe Professor Jones. Or maybe snake eyes, or slither.

jthue
04-12-2011, 01:59
Got a trail name for you: Indy, or maybe Professor Jones. Or maybe snake eyes, or slither.

Haha hilarious! I don't have a trail name yet, so I think this will stick. I know I gotta stop being such a wuss about it, but they freak me out man.

stranger
04-12-2011, 02:48
Couple things about snakes:

1. Snakes don't know they are snakes, meaning they don't know they are poisonous to you, they don't know you are afraid of them, and they aren't the brightest, so while they may lay in the trail, they could in fact think they are hiding!

2. Only two types of snakes bite people...scared snakes and angry snakes

3. 80% of snake bites are dry, no venom is injected, this is nearly 95% of all 'surprise' snake bites, when you startle them or step on them

I've seen snakes as far south as Hot Springs, and as far north as Vermont, I would agree that Pennsylvania is probably the state you will encounter the most snakes due to the likely time of year a nobo thru-hiker will be there (June/July) and the amount of rocks for sunbathing.

Strangely, I've hiked PA twice, in summer and only seen one Timber Rattler that I recall, and that might have been northern Virginia, not really sure.

To use any type of precaution towards snakes along the AT is a bit silly in my opinion, we don't even do that here in Australia, and we have dozens of deadly snakes here, snakes that do kill people, and are on the trails in abundance...some people might wear long pants with high gaiters, but that's about it.

Snakes are not your problem...Lyme Disease and Ticks are a real concern, you can't even seem the damn things

hikerhobs
04-12-2011, 05:58
I saw a yellow phase timber rattlesnake on the trail in caladonia, Copperheads at the pinnacle. And two rattlesnakes on rattlesnake mnt in new jersey. I also saw black snakes 6 feet long at rauch gap. Not one but five of them, I dont mess with em.

bronconite
04-12-2011, 10:00
I know I gotta stop being such a wuss about it, but they freak me out man.

Yes you do. You are more of a wuss than some little girls.:D

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 10:17
Yes you do. You are more of a wuss than some little girls.:D

And some other girls, too. :D I have lots of these kinds of pics. My youngest daughter bred snakes and sold the babies back to the pet store. She got a male-female pair of "African house snakes" for Christmas one year. Pic below. Also we have found several snakes on the AT. Here's one (garter snake) as we hiked into Damascus one morning, which she found.

If you'd like pics of her tarantula, I have those too. :)

Hoofit
04-12-2011, 11:34
In answer to your question, Jthue, it seems like Pennsylvania has a lot of snakes but hey, by the time most NO's get there, it is real hot so you're more likely to see them.
My snake experience: One night in Sri Lanka I was resting up in bed and a big ass snake crawled up onto me and stared me straight in the face.....
Not knowing snakes too well but definitely having a healthy fear of the unknown, my wife called out to the owner of the house, a local, who saw the snake and proceeded to remove it by means of a loop of string over his body, close to the head.
He took it to the end of the yard and set it free over the fence, then told us it was a deadly snake so we did well not to panic..
His Buddhist beliefs held strong as did his grip on the loop!
Moral is: Treat them with dignity and respect and give them space and they will do the same for you...(hopefully!)
Enjoy your hike!

jersey joe
04-12-2011, 14:05
I ran into a timber rattlesnake on, of all places, Rattlesnake Mtn in NJ. A cool summer morning, it was sunning itself right on the trail. It gave fair warning when I got within a few feet of it.

This is north of Catfish Fire Tower. Strange, I never did see any catfish on the trail!
This summer while on a backpacking trip I ran into rattlesnakes on either side of rattlesnake mountain in NJ. The mountain was well named.

Harrison Bergeron
04-12-2011, 18:57
Have y'all read "300 Zeros" yet? There's a hilarious story where everyone is bedding down for the night, right after a rattlesnake encounter, and all of a sudden one of the guys levitates out of his bag screaming like a girl. A milksnake had snuck into his bag to get warm. So he calms down, carefully removes the snake, and gets back to bed. A few minutes later the same thing happens. SAME SNAKE! K1 (the author) tells him he ought to keep it for mouse control!

I sure would have!

In fact, I think this positively answers a question I've often heard discussed here -- what's the best trail pet? A snake, obviously!

modiyooch
04-12-2011, 21:00
It comes down to this -- there's million ways to die. Why worry about ones that hardly ever happen? My uneasiness with snakes has nothing to do with the fear of dying and it is NOT a mental illness. Counseling is not going to help me. I have a fear of heights as well. I tried rock climbing, and that only made it worse. Rainman, have you no phobias?

modiyooch
04-12-2011, 21:04
Also, is it true you can't hike at night and make up some ground cause snakes are all over the trail waiting for food to run by?
snakes generally aren't near the trail because of the traffic. You are more inclined to encounter a snake when you get off the beaten path. You just have to watch where you are walking. IMO, night hiking has risks regardless.

chrisoc
04-12-2011, 21:23
The worst part of the trail for snakes is anywhere it's snow covered. Snakes hate snow.

harryfred
04-12-2011, 21:33
I like snakes. Please don't hurt them.

FarmRookie 2015
04-12-2011, 22:30
Be careful with them. Most snakes go directly for the eyes first with little or no warning. By the time you'll see one all you'll see is his tonsils.

The Counselor
04-14-2011, 23:25
I would imagine the worst part of the trail for snakes is the middle where it is easier to get stepped on.

harbohiker
04-15-2011, 09:55
I really like coming across snakes on the trail i think they're really fun to watch, but i will admit when i first spot one it can startle me. Unlike other animals it's almost never hey look at that snake way off in the distance. It's usually more like WOW! whys that branch under my foot slithering so fast!

emerald
04-16-2011, 01:03
I would imagine the worst part of the trail for snakes is the middle where it is easier to get stepped on.

The rocks in the treadway are so people will watch where they put their feet and see the snakes before stepping on them.:rolleyes:

Jim Adams
04-16-2011, 01:39
In 1990 I was hiking fast and late to try and meet my family on a certain date in PA. When I got to PA, I stopped night hiking because I was seeing at least 2 rattle snakes per night lying on or right beside the trail. I found that they would lay there at night in the summer because rodents would run up and down the trail. Only had a MiniMag flashlight back then and I ended up very close to a few of them before I saw them. None struck at me or even coiled but I hated the surprise.....still today!

geek

jthue
04-16-2011, 01:52
Thank you Jim, I knew that rumor had to be true. I wish the evil things never existed. No offense to those who enjoy them.

Rain Man
04-16-2011, 08:23
I wish the evil things never existed.

THAT is evil. Snakes don't even know "evil." Only Hollywood and numbskulls do.

...I ended up very close to a few of them before I saw them. None struck at me or even coiled ....

THAT is the operative fact. Snakes are not evil,nor do they go out of their way to bite humans stumbling along (in fact, they go out of their way NOT to bite humans).

Papa D
04-16-2011, 08:46
I would say GA,NC,TN,VA, and PA - but the chances of you getting a bit and injected with venom - unless you are intentionally bothering a poisonous snake is very, very low - just look before you stick a body part somewhere new - shine your headlamp around and under shelters, keep your tent zipped up and be generally cautious - especially when off of the trail. I actually stepped ON a timber rattler one time (at the top of a rock climb) - he/she gave me a nice loud high pitched rattle but no strike. Folks tend to be concerned about snakes (and bears) way more than more dangerous things. Here are a few dangers - snakes are lower on my list than these:

1) Rednecks, drunks, and really all suspect, non backpacker people
2) Ticks - you should check for ticks daily
3) Personal hygiene - hand washing (away from water source) avoids sickness
4) Widow-makers - dead branches above - can fall in the night and kill
5) Lightening - so many people just shrug off - not smart
6) Hypothermia or Heat Challenge Issues
7) Medical conditions not addressed
9) Stupidity - scaling cliffs without ropes, diving into shallow creeks, eating unknown plants, etc.
10) Burns - by stove or campfire

There are many more, but you get the idea - snakes make the list for sure, but they are pretty low.

mikec
04-16-2011, 09:46
THAT is evil. Snakes don't even know "evil." Only Hollywood and numbskulls do.

Actually, the Bible is where snakes first got a bad rap.

Anyway, I found in my travels that the worst area on the AT for snakes was between the Delaware and Hudson Rivers. It seemed like I saw one 2 or 3 times a day. I also nearly stepped on a rattler just south of Culvers Gap, NJ.

Also, just north of the Susquehanna River and south of Rauch Gap, PA seems to have a lot of snakes.

Rain Man
04-16-2011, 22:16
Actually, the Bible is where snakes first got a bad rap.

WHERE does the Bible give snakes a bad rap? Genesis doesn't say snake.

Duff
04-17-2011, 00:14
In '09,I saw black snakes all the way from GA through PA. One rattler in Va and another in PA. In VA, I was walking pretty quickly and didn't see it lying alongside the trail until I was almost right next to it. Big, fat and lazy; it hardly even moved as I was dancin away from it like John Travolta. The PA rattler was a whole different story. I saw the tail end crossing the trail and gave it a few minutes to get far enough away. Just as I headed forward, it rattled loud and long. I backed away, but could just barely see it out in the undergrowth. It had coiled up right next to the trail. Keeping a eye on it, I gave it a wide berth through the growth opposite the snake. I don't think it ever stopped rattling, I just walked far enough away that I couldn't hear it. Strange that it was so very evident when I saw it across the trail - I don't think it was the motion that made it noticeable, but the almost black coloration against the brown of the trail - but could hardly see it in the brush - amazing camoflauge. Had it not rattled, I would have wealked within six inches of it. I wonder how many others I just walked by. Scary.

jthue
04-18-2011, 00:58
Thats crazy Duff, I probably would have had a heart attack man. See what scares me is I love to hike with tunes playing so I wouldn't hear the rattle. Looks like I'll have to save the tunes for night or something. I have to say I'm jealous Duff, you live in a great place. I love Williamsburg and some Pierces Pitt BBQ!

Celeste
04-18-2011, 11:16

I've known lots of people who have been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, including my daughter, but in 56 years of life, I have only met one person who was ever bitten by a snake -- my next door neighbor. He nearly died from being bitten by an 8" coral snake. He was trying to kill it with a garden hoe and missed.

Spiders are far more common on the trail than rattle snakes, and the bite can be just as deadly. My daughter never saw the spider that bit her in her sleep in her own bed. She was hospitolized and still has the scar where the flesh on her stomach turned black and died (she's thinking about getting a spider tattoo to cover it).

More people died from Hanta virus last year than from snake bites. It's carried by mice.

The most dangerous creature on the trail? Ticks.

The fear of snakes from humans is instinctual since many can do real harm, but you're so right it is so irrational. We are humans, therefor we have intellect, so lets use it. We are lucky as AT hikers with only two venomous species to worry about and even then, not highly aggressive ones. Contrary to what some one said above, copperheads are actually quite passive and tend to freeze to attempt to camouflage. The only time they are more actively defensive is when they a female is around a nest or they are shedding. And the rattlers, obviously, have rattles, and stay on the audible defensive.

I've stepped right over a copperhead once and didn't notice it until I looked down between my legs right in the middle of the trail and there he was. This was in WV. It shook me but I just stayed calm and kept my pace. My dog even stepped over him and he didn't move an inch. I am still yet to run into a rattler. But I took two courses in herpetology and got grades in college for looking in all of the places we all generally stay alert in or avoid for snakes.

I agree that ticks are what scare me the most.

Celeste
04-18-2011, 11:34

That is freaking hallarious

bert304
04-18-2011, 12:27
My daughter and I had a rattlesnake cross in front of us at the top of the shower steps near Route 501 in PA. She saw the snake move into the woods from under the rocks we were sitting on. We let the snake move away before we moved.

emerald
04-18-2011, 16:08
So named for Lloyd Showers, who built them more than 50 years ago. Once well known, they have fallen into disrepair and have outlived their purpose since the A.T. now takes in Round Head.

WingedMonkey
04-18-2011, 16:10
So named for Lloyd Showers, who built them more than 50 years ago.

Thank you, I thought I missed a chance to shower on the trail...and one with steps no less.

:D

mikec
04-23-2011, 13:27
WHERE does the Bible give snakes a bad rap? Genesis doesn't say snake.

It says serpent. Same thing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/serpent

http://www.biblegateway.com/

XrayDuke
04-23-2011, 20:46
Hiked to Laurel Falls from Hampton today and saw a black snake and a copperhead. Almost stepped on the copperhead as he slid across the trail. I didn't know old, bald, fat guys could jump that high.

freshpots
04-23-2011, 23:01
It says serpent. Same thing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/serpent

http://www.biblegateway.com/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2356975080_aac1a79d7c.jpg

could have been this as well

Margaret L
10-01-2011, 09:53
Irrational or not, I have such a mortal terror of snakes that I'm wondering whether NOBO or SOBO will reduce my chance of snake encounters. Any insight?

Rain Man
10-01-2011, 10:19
Irrational or not, I have such a mortal terror of snakes that I'm wondering whether NOBO or SOBO will reduce my chance of snake encounters. Any insight?

Yeah, seek help.

Timely article in today's newspaper: Irrational fear is foe to common sense, life, God (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111001/COLUMNIST0126/309280145/1969/NEWS)

You've taken the first step, confessing your fear is irrational. Now you're ready for leaving unreality behind and moving toward reality.

Tipi Walter
10-01-2011, 10:49
unless they can eat a hole through my tent, they ain't getting in. It stays zippered. I like being in the wilderness, but I don't care to sleep with snakes, spiders or mice. And I refuse to get wet. My tent is a major investment.

This reminds me of a story---

THE JOHNNY LESSON
Summer camps along rivers have several lessons to learn, and this one comes from Johnny B when we were set up on Upper Creek at Burnthouse Creek Camp in Pisgah. We had a fire late into the night and at around 1am it's time to crash so Johnny returns to his tent which is about thirty feet away in some trees on level ground. As he gets up and looks into the tent vestibule with his minimag flashlight, he sees a copperhead resting in a coil inside his vestibule by his tent door. This is an important lesson for all backpackers to remember: All nighttime camps are never as secure as you think, so use your light and look around and keep your tent zipped up. BTW, we relocated the snake into some laurel near camp.

THE PISGAH PIT VIPER
This snake becomes our camp buddy over the years and mates with another creekside copperhead so we have one happy family until a couple years later when a no-count thoughtless brainless motard of a fisherman passes by one sunny day. On the creek rocks twenty feet from our tents we hear a loud rock against rock twack and run over to investigate and the non-rated a-hole kills one of our copperhead buddies with a rock to the head. Instant and immediate rattlesnake bite to the face would've been the best payback but the guy lived long enough to hike out although I'm sure his life afterwards fell to pieces or at least I hope it did. Snake killers are up there with loggers and deserve a long life of misfortune and suffering brought on by their thoughtless acts of ignorance. We all make mistakes but we never screw up as much as snakekillers.

The worst part of the trail for snakes is anywhere it's snow covered. Snakes hate snow.

I always keep my eyes out for Snow Lizards, which have a nasty bite and can "gum" a wound with their toxins. Snakes do hate snow and bite at it near constantly so I advise winter backpackers to just stay at home on the couch.

Be careful with them. Most snakes go directly for the eyes first with little or no warning. By the time you'll see one all you'll see is his tonsils.

I know this is true cuz one time I was on a trip in TN and ran into three Hawaiian Tropic bikini models in a rainstorm and they needed shelter in my big tunnel tent. We ended up playing Hide the Blue Mamba. Here are some of the pit vipers I have seen on recent backpacking trips:

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/0/6/733702/48-8.jpg
This guy was up on an open bald at 5,300 feet and was very pissed.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/0/3/733699/48-16.jpg
This guy was on the BMT in the Citico wilderness and was mellow and hardly rattled. We talked for a while and he became my trailside buddy.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/0/5/733701/61-5-timber-snake.jpg
This beauty was on the Upper Creek trail in Pisgah NF.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/1/7/733719/Trip-78-037.jpg
This rattlehead was on the Stiffknee trail in the Slickrock wilderness of NC.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/0/8/733704/TRIP-79-066.jpg
Then I stumbled onto this fellow on Slickrock Creek by the water. He was curious and we hung out together for a long while. Gotta love the snake nation.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/1/6/733718/Trip-78-064.jpg
Then I ran into this rattler on another open bald meadow warming up in the sun. He was mellow.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/2/1/8/733720/trip-96-082.jpg
Finally, I ran into this guy coiled up on the South Fork Citico trail and right in the middle of the path. We got to know each other but I had to keep moving on my hike.

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2011, 11:03

Hike in the dead of winter - no snakes (they hibernate and aren't up and about when it's cold). A SOBO might see a few less snakes in the south as late fall / winter sets in at the end of the hike, but then again, if it's warm enough during the day for them to be out, they will come out of brumation (reptile hibernation) to warm up and move about. Seriously though, NOBO or SOBO really makes very little difference - the answer you probably already realized. There are snakes in the woods all the way from GA to ME. Many eat rodents that would otherwise be greater pests than they already are. Snakes avoid extremes of both cold and hot - they like "warm". They are more likely to be encountered in spring and fall as they will be out midday (when you are out) when temps are highest. In the summer you're more likely to encounter them early morning / late afternoon as they warm up in the morning/late afternoon sun (exposed rocks are their favorite sunbathing spots). . But snakes are honestly not much of a problem on the AT. Ticks and unrestrained dogs are much bigger critter problems. To my knowledge, no one has ever died or been seriously injured while hiking the AT from a snakebite. Compared to falls, burns, hypothermia and hyperthermia, and a host of diseases from ticks, flies, mosquitos, nasty water, bad food, dog bites, and even psycho humans, snakes just don't even rate as a threat. If you're looking for something to truly be afraid of, slippery rocks and roots, Lyme disease or the several other tick borne diseases are a great starting point, as are dog bites.

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2011, 11:10
Great pics of your trail buddies, Tipi.

Tipi Walter
10-01-2011, 11:19
No backpacker should forsake hiking in the summer months just because of a few snakes. As 4eyedbuzzard says, there are many other ways to die in the woods, but my policy in snake country (which is everywhere here in the Southeast during the warm months) is to keep your eyeballs open and your butt cheeks clenched.

** You could be climbing a 3,000 foot hill and have a heart attack and go that way.
** You could be set up on a mountain top in July in a thunderstorm and get hit by lightning.
** Falling happens regularly but usually isn't fatal---just painful.
** Yellow jackets WILL sting you on occasion but for me are not deadly.
** Falling trees and tree limbs can be a real threat on occasion---look up before setting camp.
** Fording flooding rivers is very dangerous and you'll know by the panic you feel and by the bad near-death taste in your mouth afterwards.

** SNAKES---Here we have a threat that is real only if you hike in a hippie bubble with your mind on other things. I've seen enough pit vipers to know to keep my eyes open and to look closely on the trail ahead. This is really your only duty when backpacking. A hundred rattlesnakes could be all around the trail, but if they are not on the trail then I have nothing to worry about. When you take your reststop and throw off your pack, look around the sit spot and then have at it. Many snakes on the trail see us far ahead and scamper quick to run away, we don't even see them.

I forgot to put this guy I saw on my very last trip:

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/f/a/d/733101/TRIP-125-039.jpg

I found this friendly fellow on Mill Branch trail in a level spot I had in mind for a tentsite. He wanted it more than more so I moved on.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/6/c/8/63176/TRIP-122-439.jpg
Okay, I'll end my rant with this last member of the copperhead family, who I found on the BMT in the Cohutta wilderness. After I took this pic he saw me and raced away at about 60 mph.

Pedaling Fool
10-01-2011, 11:26
You'll see snakes regardless, but probably less if you do a SOBO starting around July/August timeframe. If you start NOBO you're sure to see tons of the ubiquitous black snake among others. I once came upon a group of black snakes mating, they were literally all over the place, everywhere I turned there was a snake. If I had a snake phobia I would of lost it.

Tipi Walter
10-01-2011, 11:46
Here's some more pit viper pics from recent trips:

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/f/3/4/28468/TRIP-111-038.jpg
I found this copperhead coiled up by South Fork Creek and he was resting about 30 feet from my tent. Another long conversation.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/6843/tj6843_052108_082250_327741.jpg
And for John Gault I have this pic of a black snake or king snake or whatever in Scared mode.

Doc
10-01-2011, 11:57
I live in Maine with no problem snakes but just got back from Newfoundland where they have no snakes. Also no skunks or porkies. My kind of place. The hiking in Gros Morne was terrific.

modiyooch
10-03-2011, 20:14
Irrational or not, I have such a mortal terror of snakes that I'm wondering whether NOBO or SOBO will reduce my chance of snake encounters. Any insight?I like hiking in Maine because there are no poisonous snakes. I don't have to be concerned with the placement of my feet and hands. I say hike sobo, and save the snakes for later, if there is a later.

modiyooch
10-03-2011, 20:15
Tipi, did you have to post the snake pictures?!!

glaux
10-03-2011, 22:54
I fear ticks a whole lot more than snakes (but I'm not really that scared of ticks). Snakes help us out, eating the rodents, reducing our risk of hanta virus and even lyme (since the rodents feed the ticks). It's good luck to see a snake.

That doesn't mean I won't jump five feet in the air if I see a snake. But snakes present about the same risk as bears-- they usually only get the Darwin award contestants.

That said, when I was a kid, I was playing in the creek, wearing flip flops and shorts, and stepped on a copperhead (it was under some leaves). It shot out and slithered away, and didn't give me a backwards glance. I figure I owe them the benefit of the doubt (and try to keep my eye on where I'm stepping).

If you do see a black snake with yellow stripes, and it tries to scare you off by twitching the tip of it's tail like it might have a rattle, that's a king snake. It fooled me enough when I saw it, that I was convinced there was an unknown breed of rattle snake loose in the Georgia woods, until I researched and found out that some king snakes just do that. It's not venomous, and it does eat copperheads, so if you don't like copperheads, then leave it alone.

stranger
10-04-2011, 01:56

I do not believe there has ever been a recorded case of a snake 'attacking' a human being. Ever.

There have certainly been snake bites, but as for an attack - snakes do not attack people. Even here in Australia, the King Brown although very territorial...doesn't attack people, but it will 'defend', there is a big difference.

Snakes along the AT are most common in PA in my view, but they are a non-issue, even here in Australia...we don't worry too much about them, and most of ours will kill you without medical attention.

The best advice I ever got about snakes - "Only two types of snakes actually bite - angry snakes and scared snakes."

SassyWindsor
10-04-2011, 19:24
From GA to PA you'll probably see more viper snakes. My personal most was in the Nanatahala's. Several Timber Rattlers and 1 copper head.

Tenderheart
10-05-2011, 13:57
My first father-in-law used to say "There are four kinds of snakes that you need to worry about: big ones, little ones, live ones, and dead ones".

hikerboy57
10-06-2011, 07:26
was up in harriman yesterday, saw timber rattlers twice. The first happened after I had stopped around 10:30am to have a bite to eat. I was stting on a rock ledge in the sun, with another ledge to my right. when I got up to leave, I heard him , looked right and on the ledge below, about 10 ft away a nice size rattler sat coiled and ready, I just turned and left. I wanted to go back and get a picture, but really didnt want to provoke him, and i would have had to go right back to look over the ledge. A half hour later, I ran across another one laying right across the trail. He must have just fed, as he was completely docile, but didnt want to move. I bushwacked around him. I didnt see any the rest of the day, but after seeing 2 inside of an hour, I was "seeing" them everywhere for a while.

kevinwinterborn
10-07-2011, 10:05
I hike with my kids a lot. always tell them to stay behind me. Born and bred in Penna....was hiking up a mountain along AT near Pt.Clinton pretty fast until i saw this tiimber. he didnt flinch. it was right on the trail just resting. i screamed...my very next step would have landed on him.....it didnt rattle until it started moving to the other side of trail and after i whipped out my camera. it was a good teaching moment for my boys.....to help discern between a poison vs. non poison and see that i just waited till he moved out of the way .....on his time... i didnt hurt him...no need to. kids know to respect them .....from a distance.. we also mtn bike a lot near Jim Thorpe. during summer on any warm sunny day i can gurauntee you will see blacks and coppers sitting in cracks between rocks supporting the rail bed. a few weeks ago we counted at least five. a rattler was even crossing the path up ahead. wide bert....it was big.... i have pictures of them tooo

kevinwinterborn
10-07-2011, 10:09
My dad is a bit of a snake expert. he said when they are coiled they can leap and strike up to 2.5X their lenght and tend to be more prone to use their poison.....but the latter is not proven.......coiled=danger....they like to sit along ledges and fallen trees because the mice and chippies tend to run rigtt along them making it easiee for mr. snake to get a meal.

jfarrell04
10-07-2011, 10:25
We saw this beauty just north of the Wm. Brien shelter in NY last week. It was in the overgrowth about two feet off the trail.14047

TyTy
10-07-2011, 18:35
Out of all the people reading this thread, has anyone ever been bitten and invenomated (sp?) by a poisonous snake?

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of a person that has?

I was out at a friends hunting camp recently as 8 guys were strapping on big, heavy snake boots. One guy said to me that he wouldn't go out without them and that I should get a pair. I said yeah? Lotta snakes out here huh? He said yeah all over the place. I said 'has anyone ever been bitten?' He said 'Not that I know of'. I said so in 30 years of thiese 4 or 5 clubs hunting this huge area, nobody has ever been bitten to your knowledge? He said not that I know of and I think I woulda heard about it. I said 'So why do I need snake boots?' He said 'cause there are rattlesnakes all over the place out here. I said 'I think I will take my chances'.

Pedaling Fool
10-07-2011, 21:03
Out of all the people reading this thread, has anyone ever been bitten and invenomated (sp?) by a poisonous snake?

I was out at a friends hunting camp recently as 8 guys were strapping on big, heavy snake boots. One guy said to me that he wouldn't go out without them and that I should get a pair. I said yeah? Lotta snakes out here huh? He said yeah all over the place. I said 'has anyone ever been bitten?' He said 'Not that I know of'. I said so in 30 years of thiese 4 or 5 clubs hunting this huge area, nobody has ever been bitten to your knowledge? He said not that I know of and I think I woulda heard about it. I said 'So why do I need snake boots?' He said 'cause there are rattlesnakes all over the place out here. I said 'I think I will take my chances'.
I respectfully defer this question to 10-K:)

vamelungeon
10-08-2011, 07:40

I knew one guy who got bitten by a rattler and almost lost his arm. It was all scarred up and had some flesh missing. Of course, he was illegally keeping rattlers as pets. He was also an alcoholic and got bitten when he got drunk and decided that was a good time to play with his pets. He almost died from it. He's the only person I ever met who was actually bitten and injected with poison. He and his snakes all died later when his trailer burned.

redseal
10-08-2011, 09:01
It's more likely than not to complete the A.T. in Pennsylvania without ever seeing a venomous snake, but knowing how to identify them and leaving them alone will go a long way toward avoiding any unfortunate incident.I will be back with my standard reply from Pennsylvania's Fish and Boat Commission and Department of Conservation and Natural Resources I have posted many times before. It's about time ATC provide the information or something similar on its website.I have completed the AT in PA without seeing one snake. I did see a rattler in CT though.

modiyooch
10-08-2011, 14:06

My neighbor got bit by a copperhead. He came out of the front door of his house and surprised the snake on the porch. A friend of mine had a dog get bit by a ratllesnake while in his backyard. Maybe the AT is safer than our yards. saw two rattlesnakes in PA. Stepped within inches of a copperhead in Northern VA without incident, walked right passed a copperhead in CT near the river, and watched a copperhead swim with a fish in his mouth in NC. I do not like them, but the the one with the fish was cool.
'

Rain Man
10-08-2011, 22:07
My dad is a bit of a snake expert. he said when they are coiled they can leap and strike up to 2.5X their lenght....

I'm sorry, but if your dad actually says that, then he's not much of "a snake expert" ... or he's just trying to keep you scared and away from 'em, perhaps. Snakes can strike about half their length.

Rain Man
10-08-2011, 22:12

LOL ... good for you.

johnnybgood
10-08-2011, 22:33

. Yep . My wife was bitten by a copperhead in a county park near where we live . The copperhead did inject venom that caused cell damage and neuritis.

TyTy
10-10-2011, 14:05
Yep . My wife was bitten by a copperhead in a county park near where we live . The copperhead did inject venom that caused cell damage and neuritis.

What were the circumstances? Just walking along? Where was the bite? Any lasting effects/scaring? How did you/she react/time before she got to a hospital?

TyTy
10-10-2011, 14:06
I knew one guy who got bitten by a rattler and almost lost his arm. It was all scarred up and had some flesh missing. Of course, he was illegally keeping rattlers as pets. He was also an alcoholic and got bitten when he got drunk and decided that was a good time to play with his pets. He almost died from it. He's the only person I ever met who was actually bitten and injected with poison. He and his snakes all died later when his trailer burned.

I don't really count kind of bite but interesting to hear about anyway :) That sort of falls under 'if you play with fire you will get burned' category.

4eyedbuzzard
10-10-2011, 18:38

Yeah, I have friends who hunt and fancy themselves great rugged outdoorsmen (not that I am a great hiker or hunter or anything). They wear high boots, won't wander into the woods without a firearm because of bear and other critter danger (when was the last time anyone saved themselves by shooting an attacking animal?). Maybe in Alaska and parts of the Western US and similar there is a need, but definitely not in the east. They also spend thousands on the latest carbon clothing, deer urine cologne, GPS units, snake bite kits, etc. I just usually ask them how it was guys like Daniel Boone in their cloth and buck skin clothing probably killed more deer in a day than these guys will in a lifetime - and didn't get lost in the woods to boot (yeah, one guy's GPS died and it took the rest of the hunting party a full day to find him.

I chalk it up to them reading way too much Field and Stream. Does to them what reading Backpacker does to hikers.

hikergurl
10-11-2011, 09:17
I chalk it up to them reading way too much Field and Stream. Does to them what reading Backpacker does to hikers.

Ha! and what TLC and Discovery Channel does to "scientists" and "engineers", and MTV to teenagers.... whatever

kevinwinterborn
10-11-2011, 09:54
I'm sorry, but if your dad actually says that, then he's not much of "a snake expert" ... or he's just trying to keep you scared and away from 'em, perhaps. Snakes can strike about half their length.Rain:sunMan. well....just this summer we were biking along the river in Jim Thorpe and i saw a copperhead sitting on a small ledge on the wall below the railroad tracks. i stopped my bike to have a look and the thing jumped at least three feet into the brush below. scared the dickens because if he would have jumped towards me he would have hit me. my kids were there and another bike group saw it from behind me......

Feral Nature
10-11-2011, 13:03
I have killed two real big, fat rattlers in my yard. I don't kill them anymore because I felt really bad about it. But with grandkids visiting, it was something I just did. I no longer kill snakes and there are many snakes here: Rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouth and great big Chicken Snakes. I did skin the last rattler and dry it's skin. I also have it's rattles. I feel like I have excellent snake-dar. My eyes always scanning, scanning, scanning.

Cookerhiker
10-11-2011, 13:37
Having completed the AT in sections, I never saw a rattler and only 2 copperheads: 1 in Shanandoah NP in May and 1 in PA very close to Wind Gap in September.

My PA section hiking included Rt. 325 to Port Clinton over 4 days in late May/early June and another 4 days in early September Eckville Rd. to Wind Gap so I'm astonished that I didn't see any rattlers. Perhaps I walked right past them but I was always on the lookout.

Saw a big coiled rattler on the Allegheny Trail in May, '10. Couldn't walk around him because the rhododendron thickets were too thick on either side and there was a creek on the right. He rattled constantly. Found a long-enough dead limb to prod him until he finally slithered off into the creek after tossing a few small rocks failed to budge him.

[QUOTE=TyTy;1206947]Out of all the people reading this thread, has anyone ever been bitten and invenomated (sp?) by a poisonous snake?

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of a person that has?......QUOTE]

On another thread not too long, one WBer described his experience being bitten out West - California or Nevada - but I don't remember who it was.

TyTy
10-11-2011, 13:47
I guess my point is, out of all these hikers spending all kinds of time in the woods, very few are being bitten. We have one for sure in this thread, maybe another one out west referenced from another thread. I would start a thread asking for direct knowledge of snake bites. I bet you will find very very very few people are being bit by snakes. I bet you will find even the old timers and well networked people, mostly don't know anyone that has ever actually been bitten. Basically, it is a very very very very rare event. Probably along the lines of, you are WAY more likely to get injured driving to go hiking than by a poisonous snake while on the trail.

SassyWindsor
10-11-2011, 13:51
You've not experienced a good freight until Grouse spring up at trails edge when otherwise all had been quite and lovely. I think it was more startling than seeing a (far away) grizzly my first time.

WingedMonkey
10-11-2011, 14:00
I would start a thread asking for direct knowledge of snake bites. I bet you will find very very very few people are being bit by snakes. I bet you will find even the old timers and well networked people, mostly don't know anyone that has ever actually been bitten.

Been done before.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?74409-Snake-bites-on-the-Appalachian-Trail&highlight=

TyTy
10-11-2011, 15:21
You've not experienced a good freight until Grouse spring up at trails edge when otherwise all had been quite and lovely. I think it was more startling than seeing a (far away) grizzly my first time.

Quail will do the same thing.

I had a squirrel jump onto my chest while ducking under a dead fall walking to a deer stand before light...that about gave me a heart attack. I assume the squirrel probably experienced a similar degree of fear.

Feral Nature
10-11-2011, 15:31
Two of my cousins were bitten and my dad too. Both cousins adults and both out here on our respective farms. The first one was bit by a cottonmouth and was stabilized at out local rural hospital and then transferred by ambulance to a larger medical center. His leg turned black and they nearly had to amputate.

Then the other cousin was whiskey drunk and shot a big rattler and then cut off it's head. He went to throw the snake's head over the roof, and somehow, the head injected venom. He went to the hospital as well and was the laughing stock for awhile. He will never live it down.

My dad was doing some brush clearing on my farm and he reached down and got bit by a copperhead. He did not go to the doctor though because it was a small copperhead and my dad is tough like that.

johnnybgood
10-11-2011, 17:16
What were the circumstances? Just walking along? Where was the bite? Any lasting effects/scaring? How did you/she react/time before she got to a hospital? Stopped and took in mother natures beauty for a few minutes and then began to walk again still looking up...
The puncture marks are faint but visible still after nine years.

Feral Nature
10-11-2011, 17:27
Funny, our different views on animals. Here where I live there are no bears, so of course, I just read about them killing people, as that is one of the reasons they are a matter of discussion and in the news. And people who are not used to snakes, fear them, as they may have only heard the negative and imaginations run wild. We become used to or even oblivious to our own environment and fear the new.