View Full Version : 2012 Thru-Hike Registry

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

skypup888
09-07-2011, 17:31
Trail Name:Find one along the way
Direction: NOBO
Estimated Start Date:April 1st
Approach Trail:Yes
Cant wait to see you guys on the trail ill be the dude with the mohawk lol.... good luck and and happy trails

darkage
09-07-2011, 18:05
Trail Name:Find one along the way
Estimated Start Date:April 1st
Approach Trail:Yes
Cant wait to see you guys on the trail ill be the dude with the mohawk lol.... good luck and and happy trails

Right on man! Brother and I are starting mid march, meaning you'll need to catch up to the ole man with beard and mini hawk .... bet by virginia ya pass us ... damn youngin's ... lol

Gamer
09-07-2011, 20:47
Greetings!

Trail Name: Gamer
Direction: North
Start Date: Early April
Approach Trail: Yes

You'll know me by my full sleeve of Nintendo tattoos. I'll be hiking with Exile.

Buffalo87
09-07-2011, 23:25
Trail Name: Buffalo
Start Date: March 19th
Approach Trail: No

I cant wait to quit my job and start this! Ill be hiking with my sweetie, kit.

Exile
09-07-2011, 23:36
Greetings!

You'll know me by my full sleeve of Nintendo tattoos. I'll be hiking with Exile.

About time you commit. :rolleyes:

darkage
09-07-2011, 23:54
Greetings!

Right on! Tattoo trail convention! ... my full sleeve should be done by march ... good luck guys!

RWheeler
09-08-2011, 16:19
If you want to update my info, I'll be doing the approach trail.

skypup888
09-08-2011, 19:20
i hope so but slow and steady will be my goal along the way can not get hurt, will be so ashamed of myself if i cant finish it, this has been my dream for the past couple years bound and determind to win.

Nato10207
09-09-2011, 16:13
Trail Name: None yet.
Direction: SOBO
Estimated Start Date: June 1st
Approach Trail: yes

UNH Class 2012

hambone5126
09-10-2011, 16:28
Trail Name: Julian - no trail name yet
Direction: north
Estimated Start Date: March 11
Approach Trail: most likely
This has been all ive been able to think about since deciding on hiking next year, and will probably be the case for the next 6 months till i get to georgia. im sure there are one or two othere in that same boat. also, i love going lightweight.

EDE
09-11-2011, 17:07
Hi all!

Trail Name: TBD
Estimated Start Date: Mid Feb

Really stoked! Good luck everyone!

NCcummins
09-12-2011, 00:02
Good luck to everyone planning on a 2012 thru hike. It will be here in no time! I plan to head back out in 2013 after my girlfriend and I graduate. I started March 12th this year and did 815 miles to the Dutch Haus. I miss it every day and can't wait to give it another shot in 2013. Do the approach trail; it's a great start!

-Blue

Wild~Rain
09-12-2011, 01:30
Trail Name: Wild~Rain
Start Date: Mid June, 2012
Approach Trail: Potentially
Hiked from GA to PA this year and had to get off the trail; going for another shot next year, but heading south. Bring the hurt! Im ready this time! :)

Exile
09-12-2011, 15:28
My hiking partner and I finally nailed down our start date (I think). Exile and Gamer, NOBO on April 10.

RogueWriter
09-12-2011, 23:26
Start Date: Around March 15th
Miscellaneous: Raising money for Flagstaff Shelter (homeless shelter in Flagstaff, AZ). Figured since I was gonna hike anyway, may as well help others while I'm at it.

Serial 07
09-13-2011, 00:44
aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! i can't wait!!!

darkage
09-13-2011, 01:02
aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! i can't wait!!!

I hear ya! ... Its torture waiting for march .... my kids are back in school and now i got more time to think about it than i had when i was kept busy for the summer .... DOH! ... least this is the time of year to buy new gear ... i love clearance days!

Traildog & Tbone
09-13-2011, 01:07
Trailname: Traildog & Tbone
Direction: Nobo
E.t.a: 4/1/12
Approach trail: Yes
Misc: Hiking with my dog, wonder if he minds digging "cat" holes?

infinitejest
09-13-2011, 09:42
Trail name: To be determined....
Start Date: April Fools!
Approach Trail: Yep.
Anything else: EVERYTHING!!!!

Any Virginians thru-hiking in 2012, please reply!

infinitejest
09-13-2011, 09:56
Traildog: I've considered hiking with my dog as well...do you have any suggestions/plans for Baxter? (they don't allow dogs...too bad....)

Rybo
09-13-2011, 19:03
Trail Name: Don't have one yet
Direction: NoBo
Estimated Start Date: March 12th
Approach Trail: Why not

fireneck
09-14-2011, 02:17
Trail Name :: I have a couple ideas, might go with what The Trail has to offer...
Direction :: NoBo!
Estimated Start Date :: February 29, 2012, 'cause you can only start your thru-hike on a leap year every four years!
Approach Trail :: Currently, no.

Other stuffs!

I'm an avid supporter of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club, been a season ticket holder for the last five seasons. I want to be the first person to hike the AT with a Fire scarf. For last nine summers I have worked at Residential Summer Camps, this will be my first "free" summer since the 2002. This hike is a graduation present to myself, for graduating college.

I look forward to meeting my fellow Illinoisans on Trail!

sixhusbands
09-14-2011, 07:43
sadly I am pulling out of my SOBO start on October 1st of this year. Family situations will require my attention and I must put them first. Maybe another time to live my dream or maybe not. Good luck to all who step out on the AT.

Peace

Monadnock
09-14-2011, 11:36
Greetings!

Trail Name: To be determined...
Estimated Start Date: March 11, 2012

I (as trail name Thirsty) hiked from Harpers Ferry to Bear Mountain this summer and absolutely fell in love with the AT. I can't wait to hike the whole thing next year! I'll be hiking in support of Water Missions International, an organization dedicated to providing access to clean water to people in developing nations. I'm hoping to finish my thru-hike by the end of July so that I can get ready for grad school in the fall. A bit about me: I live in Kentucky but am heading to the liberal northeast for grad school, majored in environmental studies, love to run, love animals, enjoy theatre, and thrive on good conversation. I look forward to meeting you all! :)

Monadnock
09-14-2011, 11:42
Wild~Rain! I met you with Cayenne in Maryland this year. I was with Chapstick at the time...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you on the trail again this year. Grandpa will be yo-yoing, so I'll be getting to see him as well! :)

Best of luck!
Thirsty

ReNew
09-15-2011, 05:14
How about St Louis? Chicago......Cubz Suck!! I will be 4 days behind you

Trail Name :: I have a couple ideas, might go with what The Trail has to offer...
Estimated Start Date :: February 29, 2012, 'cause you can only start your thru-hike on a leap year every four years!

Other stuffs!

I'm an avid supporter of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club, been a season ticket holder for the last five seasons. I want to be the first person to hike the AT with a Fire scarf. For last nine summers I have worked at Residential Summer Camps, this will be my first "free" summer since the 2002. This hike is a graduation present to myself, for graduating college.

Old Hiker
09-15-2011, 07:30

Other stuffs!

Hey, Fireneck!

Good to see someone else checking the calendar! Looks like it's going to be a small crowd that day unless anyone else starting then is only lurking! We just have to complete the hike before the world ends.

Fog Horn
09-17-2011, 09:59
I am back in the game!! Hopefully still a February 29th start too :)

durk
09-21-2011, 06:07
Trail Name: Durk Direction: nobo Est Start Date: Apr 6 Approach trail: probable Yes Any additional info that you want the world to know: I'm an old disabled Air Force vet so will be packing light and hiking at my own pace. CU all on the trail.

SawnieRobertson
09-21-2011, 10:34
I am going to commit to this until it finally happens because it is the thing I want most to enjoy in my life. There is a serenity and joy out there that can only be described but not experienced unless actually living it. Last year was a disaster because I gave my back to a secretly hateful person. The year before it was continuing to meet the demands for obtaining a reverse mortgage. Before that it was the meniscus surgery. And on and on and on. If I don't get this done in 2012, I'll be staggering up the trail in my 80s. Nah, I'm going to make it this time, and I am giving myself 365 days from the start, which may disturb some but pleases me. So . . .

Trailname: Kinnickinic
Direction: N and S with Leapfrogs and FlipFlops (even though I have never been an acrobat)
Preferred Start Date: Early March (depending on what kind of winter we have)
Approach Trail: Probably Not

Extra Info: I will be visiting a friend in San Antonio for a lot of the winter. Is there anyone else in San Antonio who is planning to hike the AT next year?

Hiking for vets
09-21-2011, 18:54
Trail name - "the bruin" - hiking for vetsNOBO Start date - March 15Approach trail - yesNervous but excited

txlonghorn8783
09-21-2011, 23:00
Trail Name:TBD
Est. Start date: late Feb.

Gettin it done.

dkl31092
09-22-2011, 03:24
Trail Name---Tug
NOBO
expected date--March 10
Approach Trail--yes

Zatch
09-22-2011, 09:48
Long Time Lurker, first time posting.

Trail Name - TBD
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - March 1st most likely
Approach Trail - yup

Can't wait to start hiking!

Blaine
09-22-2011, 12:22
Trail name- tbd
Direction- NOBO
Start Date- Feb 20-29
Approach Trail- Probably
Been planning this for about 5 years now. Really Excited!!!

mdp9
09-23-2011, 11:28
Trail Name - I have a few ideas, but I feel like that should be determined on the trail...
Direction - GAME
Estimated Start Date - Apr 1 (190 days away!)
Approach Trail - eh, i don't see a difference

A few months ago I decided that it's either now or when I'm retired.... and I'd rather thru hike with a 24 year old body than a 64 year old body!

darkage
09-23-2011, 19:48
Trail Name - I have a few ideas, but I feel like that should be determined on the trail...
Direction - GAME
Estimated Start Date - Apr 1 (190 days away!)
Approach Trail - eh, i don't see a difference

A few months ago I decided that it's either now or when I'm retired.... and I'd rather thru hike with a 24 year old body than a 64 year old body!

The difference is you wanting to walk 2,200 miles, but skipping the 8 miles to get to up the mountain to the summit of springer .....

judyabcd
09-24-2011, 05:33
Working on plans
NoBo
4/1/2012
Maybe dog

First attempt on AT!!

mountain squid
09-24-2011, 19:41
Hey everybody, we're over 200 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2012thruhikers)! Hope everyone's preparations and gear selections are going well.

If you have any updates or if I've made any errors or omissions, let me know.

Just a few more months to go . . . . . . Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Old Hiker
09-24-2011, 22:19
Hey everybody, we're over 200 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2012thruhikers)! Hope everyone's preparations and gear selections are going well.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Just want to thank you for your hard work, MS. At least for 2013, you won't have to worry about the registry, as the world will be ending in 2012!

davissp2
09-24-2011, 23:31
Trail Name: None yet

Estimated Start Date: Late feb.

Approach: Yes

fireneck
09-25-2011, 02:44

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Mountain Squid thanks creating/posting that! Not that it's a big deal but my homebase is Freeport, IL. When I first joined WB I had Macomb, IL down but thats my current location. You're not a mind reader and I just want my Pretzel City to be recognized. :D

fireneck
09-25-2011, 02:44

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Mountain Squid thanks creating/posting that! Not that it's a big deal but my homebase is Freeport, IL. When I first joined WB I had Macomb, IL down but thats my current location. You're not a mind reader and I just want my Pretzel City to be recognized. :D

fireneck
09-25-2011, 02:45

See you on the trail,
mt squid

The Monk
09-26-2011, 05:30
Trail Name: Monk
Est. Start: February 1st

Cheers!

evyck da fleet
09-26-2011, 12:37
Trail Name:To be determined once I do something stupid
Direction:Northeasternly most of the time
Start date: A few days after April 15th
Planning to get dropped off at the approach trail

CKMaho
09-26-2011, 21:37
TBD trail name
NoBo
Mid-March
TBD approach trail

I can't say I'm positive this isn't a bad idea. But the bad ideas are always the most exciting.

FreeWilly
09-27-2011, 22:34
Trail Name: No name yet for the AT... FreeWilly with a local hiking group
Estimated Start Date : Feb 29
Approach Trail - Undecided

I've been wanting to do the AT for a few years and now that I'm near the end of my graduate studies... :)

There's a good possibility that I will be conducting a survey that I will incorporate into my thesis on human performance. More to come...

Storm
09-28-2011, 11:26
I was planning on an April 1 start. Just found out that I am going to be in Arkansas March 11-18. So instead of driving all the way back to Ohio and then heading south I am just going to shoot over to Springer and start my hike approximately March 20th. Mountain Squid, please update this on the spreadsheet if you have time.

jjebb58
09-29-2011, 14:44
Trail name: Do not have one yet
Estimated start date: Late march, beginning of april?
Approach Trail: possibly

I'm not a very experienced hiker, but i have always been an athlete and and would love the challenge and overall experience. I'm from MA and would probably be going alone, so if anyone from the surrounding areas would like to join forces i feel it would make the trip more bearable and fun

WhoAh
09-29-2011, 23:19
WhoAh
Nobo
Start date? - not sure on the date, just need to make sure I'm at Low Gap for St. Paddy's...
Approach trail - no way - been there, done that, ain't gonna do it again.

attempted a thru in '07 and screwed my knee up in the Smokies. Not sure if 2012 will be a thru or not but will definately be out there for awhile.

skip3587
09-30-2011, 01:24
trail name: everyone calls me skippy . figure go with it unless something changes on the trail
direction : sobo
est. date end of june

going to be 40 and have no major responsibilties . no kids or wife .two go nowhere jobs. always been one of my dreams. then like a bolt of lighting it dawned on me now is the time and i have wasted enough of it.

Exile
09-30-2011, 10:49
[QUOTE=

going to be 40 and have no major responsibilties . no kids or wife .[/QUOTE]

Right there with ya.

jjebb58
09-30-2011, 12:44
i was in the same situation now or after retirement and now seemed like a great choice

LDog
09-30-2011, 17:03
Just posted our thoughts as to how Mary and I are going to get to Springer Mountain next spring:
http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/

topshelf
09-30-2011, 18:35
Name: TBD, looking for a change on my thru
Direction: NOBO or SOBO
Date: first week of June, whenever I get there
Additional Info:
-Probably will be fired because of massive disagreements with public education practices
-If fired: Will hike SOBO, whole trail
-If not: NOBO for 2.5 months, hopefully to Harper's Ferry
-Might make me single again...

topshelf
09-30-2011, 18:37
Approach Trail: Yes, I'll approach it

beane
10-01-2011, 10:44
Trail Name Haven't earned one
Direction NoBo
March 1st or Feb last week
Approach Trail Yes

drainwater
10-04-2011, 20:28
I have four hikers to be included in the 2012 thru hiker registry! None of us have trail names yet so, for now we are Dean, Lisa, Forest, and River Rainwater. Our sons will be 16 and 10 on the hike!
We are starting on or around March 15th at Springer. We will probably skip the approach trail if possible! We have been planning this for awhile now and are ready to quit our jobs and go.
http://rainwater2012.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rainh2os-2012-APPALACHIAN-TRAIL-THRU-HIKE/180547586481

sails2trails
10-05-2011, 23:37
Name: TBD , Dir. : NOBO , Depart : Feb. 14 , approach : definitely , Other : My girlfrend and I are hiiking it together...........c-ya up the trail

Lil.Bit
10-06-2011, 11:31
Hi. I'm heading out March 1st of 2012 with my boyfriend/husband at the time--Shutterbug.

-Lil' Bit

MissMagnolia
10-06-2011, 12:05
Trail Name: Maybe Magnolia, maybe something else
Direction: NOBO/SOBO flip flop
Estimated Start Date: Mid April from either Hot Springs or Damascus to Katahdin, then flip flop back to Hot Springs and SOBO to finish at Springer (I wouldn't mind feedback on this plan, BTW)
Approach Trail - yes or no: No, unless I can't get a ride down from Springer

any additional info that you want the world to know: I'll be hiking to raise money for a charity for a dog who can't walk. I'm burned out, a gypsy at heart and have been in the same job/place for 6 years which is a record for me. Maybe I'll come back when I'm done with my hike and be happier here. I'll see. I am single, no kids, 37 and have wanted to do this for 10 years, so 2012 is my year, my time to follow this dream. I'll be going as lightweight as I can in other areas in order to carry some camera equipment.

STINGER1
10-06-2011, 17:42
Trail Name: STINGER
Estimated Start Date: Probably end of March or early April. Depends how fast i hike the other trails.
Approach Trail: Florida Trail to Pinhoti Trail to Springer Mt.

You Only Live Once!

justwalkin
10-07-2011, 17:35
just walkin
NOBO
Mid March
Probably not, have already done it. But maybe.
Friend of Bill W's.

bonbon47
10-07-2011, 17:36
Trail Name: Bonbon
Start Date: Mid March

kk1dot3
10-07-2011, 22:38
Start Date: Starting March 7
Approach Trail - Yes

Haven't seen too many definite March 7th starters. Might have the trail to myself :)
Purchased my train ticket, confirming my shuttle later this month. Can't wait!

TM.
10-09-2011, 14:54
Trail Name: We don't have one yet.
Direction: NOBO.
Estimated Start Date: April 20th.
Approach Trail: Yes.

My wife and I have decided to quit our jobs and head north bound April 20th. We are both very excited and April can't come fast enough!!

rdaviskiwi
10-11-2011, 19:05
Trail Name: Git Bear
Start date: march 29,2012
approach trail: No, done already

I'm expecting this to be the coldest I have ever been, the hottest i have ever been, the hungriest I have ever been and the tiredest I have ever been and become a better person for it...

Yert
10-11-2011, 22:59
Trail Name: Yert
Estimated Start Date: mid to late March
Approch Trail: No
Never attempted anything quite like this before looking forward to testing my body and mind

meday2
10-12-2011, 20:58
Trail Name: Awaiting to be discovered
Estimated Start Date: April 1, 2012

Don't mean to wish my life away, and I promise I'm enjoying every day of the next 5 months, but I cannot wait to get started!! See everyone out there!

Maren
10-13-2011, 08:21
Estimated Start Date: End of March/Beginning of April
Approach Trail: Yes!

Feral Nature
10-13-2011, 14:02
I don't know if I responded to this thread yet, I can't find my post is I did.

Trail name: I do not have one.
Estimated start date: March 14ish
Approah trail: No

strollingalong
10-15-2011, 17:30
T minus 157 days

Enic
10-15-2011, 18:25
My fiancée and I have finally set a start date!

Trail names: Her- Sweet Me- Low
Estimated start date: March 4
Approah trail: Yes, probably

Extra information: We met at a residential summer camp for children with Diabetes, as staff members. Are both Type 1 IDDM, using pumps. (That is part of the reason for our current trail names, Sweet & Low, the Diabetic Duo.) We got engaged on a Feburary overnight, on the AT about a half mile south of Quarry Gap Shelter. We're postponing nuptials until after the thru...

holycow219
10-17-2011, 17:19
My first WB post!

Trail Name: To be determined- currently Cliff
Start Date: April 10th- ish
Approach Trail: Yep

I'm looking forward to the challenge (easy to say right now)! I'm trying to miss most of the snow so April sounds good to me. I hope to see everyone out on the trail.

True Blue
10-18-2011, 17:43
Trail Name:True Blue
Start Date: On or about 10 March
Approach trail: No

Enic
10-18-2011, 20:04
True Blue, I tried to respond to your pm but it wouldn't allow me to send. Do you have an e-mail you would like me to try instead?

GhettOblaster
10-19-2011, 18:05
-Trail name: I'm taking my chances...-NOBO-leaving late march/early April -approach? Sure! As mentioned before, "what's another 8 miles?" lolBeen thinking about this for the last 15 years. Life changes have granted me the opportunity so I'm taking it!! Rolling solo and I'm looking forward to meeting all you fine folks. Any App-State love on the trail this year??

gnelson
10-20-2011, 02:50
Trailname: Camperman
Estimated Start Date: March 24, 2012

gentrified
10-20-2011, 16:55
Gentrified
NOBO
March 1
Yes approach

NinjaFace
10-20-2011, 17:11
Trail name: NINJAFACE
Estimated start date: Feb/March really depends on how long I drag ass on the florida trail. More then likly March, I could get stuck in Ocala with hippies in Feb
Approah trail: Havn't decided yet.

Spools
10-20-2011, 20:43
Name.. Dont have one yet
NoBo
Either march 7th or april 1st
why not

Can't wait!

Janeway
10-22-2011, 15:47
Estimated Start Date: February 29, 2012
Approach Trail - No

Only 129 days!

DeerPath
10-22-2011, 20:26
Trail Name: Safari
Estimated Start Date: 3/19 to 4/1
Approach Trail - Yes

CROCKETT
10-23-2011, 09:27
Trail Name-Crockett
NOBO
April 1st
Approach Trail-No

Thank you for what you do ....

Cheese
10-24-2011, 20:31
Trail Name: TBD :)

Start Date : Early April

Approach Trail : Undecided (probably not)

Anyone interested in starting together?? See y'all on the trail!! :)

OneStepCloser
10-27-2011, 10:58
Trail Name: To be determined actual nickname - vlad
Estimated Start Date: March 7th actual start date

mattmc89
10-28-2011, 04:11
-Trail name: I'm taking my chances...-NOBO-leaving late march/early April -approach? Sure! As mentioned before, "what's another 8 miles?" lolBeen thinking about this for the last 15 years. Life changes have granted me the opportunity so I'm taking it!! Rolling solo and I'm looking forward to meeting all you fine folks. Any App-State love on the trail this year??

A few from App in 2012. I know of another group of two, plus me and my two friends. All of us are going SoBo though (I think the other group is).

Serial 07
10-28-2011, 09:06
holy cow, we are talking like 150 days til i hit the trail! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

waking up in the woods and having a morning coffee then gettin' out early and doin' 10 miles before noon then relaxin' and shootin' the poo then doing some more hiking then settin' up camp and making food and building a fire then drinking a swig or two of whiskey then chit chat with other hikers before going to bed and doing it all over again the next day, only with a slightly lighter pack...man, i can't wait!

Old Hiker
10-28-2011, 11:47
holy cow, we are talking like 150 days til i hit the trail! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

waking up in the woods and having a morning coffee then gettin' out early and doin' 10 miles before noon then relaxin' and shootin' the poo then doing some more hiking then settin' up camp and making food and building a fire then drinking a swig or two of whiskey then chit chat with other hikers before going to bed and doing it all over again the next day, only with a slightly lighter pack...man, i can't wait!

OMG! You're under 35, ain't cha!?!? A geezer like me is happy to wake up after 10, having coffee, getting rid of...., never mind, hiking a couple of hundred yards, looking for a group of youngsters who have a camp and fire set up, boring them to tears with, "When I was your age" stories and dying around 2030 until the next day. (For you civilians: 2030 = 8:30 P.M.) ((For you ex- and current military officers: the big hand is on the 6 and the little hand is between 8 and 9 and it's dark outside.))

126 days!! Oh, yeah!

ImaStegasaurus
10-29-2011, 19:38
Spoon
Alabama to Maine to Alabama
Late February-March
Approaching via the Pinhoti Trail
Wintering in the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama, then catching a ride to the start of the Pinhoti Trail and starting the AT from there. Planning to hike to Katahdin and back to Alabama!! :D

GuyMonday
10-29-2011, 20:15
For the paranoid conspiracy theorists this will be known as "The year of the last thru hike" SOBOs better not dilly dally.Haha, my buddy joked about that the other day. Y2K all over again.

If I had the money and no lease, I was hoping to go in 2012, but it looks like I have a year and a half to prep for 2013.

thepokerkid227
10-30-2011, 11:53
Sparky
NOBO
First week of march
Yes

mdp9
10-30-2011, 21:11
The difference is you wanting to walk 2,200 miles, but skipping the 8 miles to get to up the mountain to the summit of springer .....

guess you're just more hardcore than me. :)

hike yo' own hike.

David R
10-31-2011, 19:35
Trail name: tbdDirection: noboEstimated start: march 1Approach trail: yes

MeadowMushroom
11-01-2011, 00:02
N/A
NoBo
Late Feb, early March
Yes

This will be my first attempt, first crazy long distance hike.
I am inspired by Sacajawea, Grandma Gatewood, Jimmy Hendrix, and my johnny cash lovin' Granpa Tim!
I will do my best to protect and inspire my fellow hikers next March <3

sweet & sour
11-02-2011, 19:28
I'm switching my start date (NOBO) to mid-April 16th or 17th ish

Bat321
11-03-2011, 12:13
Name BatStart 2/29Direction NOBOApproach trail Maybe but I doubt it.

darkage
11-04-2011, 23:52
guess you're just more hardcore than me. :)

hike yo' own hike.

Not at all! Not really the way i ment it .... i'm totally about HYOH ... i guess the point is seeing how many decide to skip it and just get right down too the white blazes all along the 2,200 miles of it, but skip the aproach's 8.8 ... nothing more, with that said ... our arrival might force us to do the same ... just to get going. We'll see when i get there. Just wanted to clear that up ...

TammyLynn
11-05-2011, 00:32
Trail Name- No trail name yet but I'm hoping one will be conjured up for me on the trail by other hikers :)
Direction- NOBO
ESD- I would like to start on my 23rd birthday, March 8th.
Approach Trail- Yeah, why not?

Get it, get it, get it!

I was going to wait until I had read all the entries to reply with my own information, but I couldn't pass this up. My start date is also March 8, because that is my 32nd birthday! It's great to meet you, birthday buddy!! :D (I also just noticed the numbers of our ages are reversed...that's hilarious!)

TammyLynn
11-05-2011, 01:06
It took a long time to read through all eighteen pages, but I didn't want to miss anything!

Trail Name: a-ka (check my trail journal - www.trailjournals.com/aka2012 (http://www.trailjournals.com/aka2012) - for the story)

Estimated Start Date: March 8 - my 32nd birthday!

Approach Trail: Leaning towards no, but haven't made a final decision yet

Any additional info that you want the world to know:
-I have twenty million emotions rolling around inside of me at the thought of this, but the most dominant is definitely excitement!
-I've been wanting to do this for years, and life seems to have handed me a chance. I'm young, single, and have nothing really holding me back. If not now, then when?
-I am surprised by the number of people here from Florida! Awesome!
-I noticed there were a couple of ladies whose families were having panic attacks about them straying out alone. I'm right there with ya! Maybe we can all start around the same time to make them feel a little better...
-I'll be slow in the beginning (considering the only shape I'm in right now is round, lol!), but I'm looking forward to pushing myself to be the best that I can be!

orions_knight
11-05-2011, 08:09
No trail name yet
NOBO
April 22 - 26th BDAY!
I cant see myself skipping a few miles out of so many...approach trail it is.....

Thought a couple friends were going with me....turns out it wont happen, so Ill be leaning on a couple of you guys Im sure.
Made the decision to hammock as well. Any one else gonna hang around with me?
U wush bringing a dog werent so complicated, and Im hoping to see a couple 4 legged friends out there. I freaking love dogs and it would definitely make the days easier to see some. hah

orions_knight
11-05-2011, 08:10
[QUOTE=U wush[/QUOTE]

meant tot say " i wish "

F100
11-05-2011, 11:04
Trail Name: F100; Wife's trail name to be determined
Start Date: March 14

SzMatterhorn
11-06-2011, 13:26
Trail Name: Matterhorn
Direction: Would prefer NOBO, but I might get up too late in the season. Thoughts?
Start Date: Latest, June 15th (7 days after I graduate) whew.
Approach Trail: Think so.

My girlfriend is joining me til about Harper's Ferry, (still trying to convince her to do the whole thing) then I'm solo, not too worried about getting up there too late. I would prefer not to go at it from katahdin. Personal wishes.

GSUCorey
11-06-2011, 17:53
Trail Name: Brace
Start Date: Feb 25th, 2012
Approach Trail: Yes, unfortunately.......haha

Im tired of always doing what is expected of me in each portion of my life. I want to do something unexpected so I am going for it!!!

rhyth
11-07-2011, 04:17
Trail Name: I don't have one yet.
Estimated Start Date: 2nd week of March.
Approach Trail: Yup!

Hiking the Trail is a dream for me. The only section of the AT that I've experienced to date is the area around Harper's Ferry. I walked half-way across the USA 3 years ago and I'm a-hankerin' for another grand adventure, so I can't wait to get out there. :)

luigi
11-07-2011, 06:08
Trail Name: Is it better to receive one on the trail?
Estimated Start Date:early to mid Feb 2012
Approach Trail: YES!

I think the trail has given me insomnia, it's all I think about.
hike yo' own hike

Oleskool
11-07-2011, 07:55
Trail Name - Kyle and Betsy
Direction - NoBo
Estimated Start Date -Mar 1ish
Approach Trail - Yes
This year doing the BMT to the AT

Mike2012
11-07-2011, 15:45
AT
NOBO
March 12 (or later)
Approach Trail - yes
The timing is right - I'm doing it!

jsdamon
11-07-2011, 18:43
-I noticed there were a couple of ladies whose families were having panic attacks about them straying out alone. I'm right there with ya! Maybe we can all start around the same time to make them feel a little better...

i wasn't paying attention until the end of your post to who was posting and thought you were a guy (because i'm a guy and default to that in my brain). i'm glad to see that you are just trying to be nice and you weren't posting the creepiest forum post possible. haha.

see you on the trail!

special T
11-07-2011, 21:20
SoLucky
nobo
Approx. April 1
Starting in Damascus, VA

TammyLynn
11-08-2011, 17:35
i wasn't paying attention until the end of your post to who was posting and thought you were a guy (because i'm a guy and default to that in my brain). i'm glad to see that you are just trying to be nice and you weren't posting the creepiest forum post possible. haha.

see you on the trail!

Oh, my word, lol. If that were the case, I would have to change my trailname to Creeper! No, I am definitely a girl. Thank you for the laugh, though! See you in the spring!

DeeJay
11-08-2011, 22:21
Starting March 8th!
NOBO
Will post trail name later, when i know what it is.

DeeJay
11-08-2011, 22:50
Right on man! My b-day is April 22nd too, and Earth which I've always been proud to be born on haha. I thought of that date but it's just too late of a start for me, I like wander, stop and smell the roses here and there. Oh I got you beat by one year, be my 27th. Might see ya out there tho!

Mister
11-09-2011, 11:25
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - Nobo
Estimated Start Date 1-1-12
Approach Trail - yes or no - Yup
any additional info that you want the world to know

My fiancee and I were planning a 2011 sobo, but things happened. Now we want to start on New Years day. So soon!

Mister
11-09-2011, 11:26
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - Nobo
Estimated Start Date 1-1-12
Approach Trail - yes or no - Yup

My fiancee and I were planning a 2011 sobo, but things happened. Now we want to start on New Years day. So soon!

Also - we're from Simsbury CT ;-)

Mike2012
11-09-2011, 17:06
AT
NOBO
March 12 (or later)
Approach Trail - yes
The timing is right - I'm doing it!

heh what a noob - the name of the trail I am going to be hiking on is the AT. I don't have a trail name yet.

The logistics are pretty daunting at the moment but thinking of the thru hike keeps me motiviated to press on. I'm throwing everything I can think of on eBay and Craigslist to raise funds. If it comes down to it I will just sell my car but I'll wait till Feb or early March to do that if necessary.

lkaluzi
11-09-2011, 17:16
Trail Name: Not sure
NOBO
Estimated Start Date: March 7th

Can't wait to meet you all on the trail!

moocow
11-09-2011, 17:25
Trail name: none yet.
NOBO
February 15th

Tundra
11-09-2011, 19:40
Hey there Mister,

I'll be hitting the trail late on the first after arriving from Alaska. I keep telling myself "I live in Alaska, I'll be fine in the cold." The truth is it could be redicoulsly cold. I'm interested in talking about winter gear and or just talking about the the early start. Overall, I'm just glad there will be other thru-hikers out there too.

Leatherhead
11-09-2011, 22:40
Trail name: Leatherhead (retiring from 30 years in Oklahoma Fire service 05/2012)
SoBo
Start: June 21 or 22nd, 2012 ( soon after grandson's 3rd bday)
approach trail: which ever one get's up Katahdin.

Dick Dynamo
11-11-2011, 23:51
Tral Name: (given but open for sugestions) Dick Dynamo :)
Dirctcion: NOBO
Start Date: March 2nd :)
Approch Trail: O ya

:D

Bowlegs
11-13-2011, 17:30
Bowlegs March 27 NOBO and yes will take the approach trail

Whitewater2012
11-14-2011, 12:02
Blog: http://thereelcontenthiker.wordpress.com/

songunn25
11-14-2011, 20:45
Trail Name: None Yet
Estimated Start Date: Was leaning towards March 1st, but now leaning towards April 1st so I can save back a bit more for it.
Approach Trail - Yep!

The A Team
11-14-2011, 22:28
Trail name: Collectively, we are The A Team. Individually, trail names are yet to be determined.Direction: NOBOEstimated start date: March 4, 2012Approach trail: nope.Additional info: We are a four member team:1. An inspiring, ambitious 17-year-old homeschooling senior in high school whose always ready for an adventure. 2. A 40-something homeschooling mother of three who is transitioning towards an "empty nest".3. A 47 year old recently retired US Navy Chief & homeschooling dad who loves to live life... "life to the full!"4. A 70+ "Grandad" to #1 above, "Daddy" to #2 above, and an enthusiastic, skilled outdoorsman who is fulfilling a life dream.

creekfreek
11-15-2011, 03:11
Spoon
Alabama to Maine to Alabama
Late February-March
Approaching via the Pinhoti Trail
Wintering in the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama, then catching a ride to the start of the Pinhoti Trail and starting the AT from there. Planning to hike to Katahdin and back to Alabama!! :D

I am following the same path about the same time. Plan on heading north from Sylacauga on Pinhoti, AL and Ga to Benton Mckaye then south to springer. That would have me leaving about 15 Feb but I intend to zero at home on weekends until final launch on the AT late March.

Big Stones
11-15-2011, 20:12
Trail Name: Big Stones
Estimated Start Date: March 15
Approch Trail: Yes

From Blacksburg, VA looking for people to travel to Springer around that time.

Thruhiker2012
11-16-2011, 03:52
Trail Name: Been called Goldfish & Peanut...Excited to see what else might stick once I get started :)
Estimated Start Date: March 28 (ish), 2012
Approach Trail - no

-Been talking about it for 10 yrs. Been planning it for 3 yrs. Gonna hike it with my pops "P-Ray" next year. Can't believe 2012 is finally getting here!!! I love the hiking community & can't wait to meet all the trail personalities!!!

Bushrat
11-19-2011, 16:34
Trail Name: Wheezer
Direction NoBo
Estimated Start Date 7 March 2012
Approach Trail - yes or no No

RockyRoo
11-20-2011, 00:08
Trail Name: To be decided...
Estimated Start Date: March/April - depends on airtickets from Australia
Approach Trail - yes or no. Undecided - again, depends on arrival.
Just want to start trecking!!

Todd Tarbox
11-20-2011, 02:22
Trail Name: ???

Todd Tarbox
11-20-2011, 02:25
Trail Name: ???
Start Date: 4/2/12

Jeff
11-20-2011, 12:06
Trail name: Collectively, we are The A Team. Individually, trail names are yet to be determined.Direction: NOBOEstimated start date: March 4, 2012Approach trail: nope.Additional info: We are a four member team:1. An inspiring, ambitious 17-year-old homeschooling senior in high school whose always ready for an adventure. 2. A 40-something homeschooling mother of three who is transitioning towards an "empty nest".3. A 47 year old recently retired US Navy Chief & homeschooling dad who loves to live life... "life to the full!"4. A 70+ "Grandad" to #1 above, "Daddy" to #2 above, and an enthusiastic, skilled outdoorsman who is fulfilling a life dream.

Sounds interesting!!! Are you posting an online journal of your hike?

RossSFCA
11-21-2011, 02:47
Hey Mt. Squid! Less than four months to go until I start the AT!

Trail Name - DirtyGirl
Direction - NoBo, baby!
Estimated Start Date - Sunday, March 11, 2012 (fly into ATL on 03/10/12)
Approach Trail - Yes (I think so... we are staying at the Hiker Hostel)

Got my trail name Dirty Girl from the Yosemite Park Rangers and Pacific Crest Trail thru-hikers when I was hiking the John Muir Trail this summer. I wore a pair of Dirty Girl gaiters (which were bright pink with red cherries all over them). I will be hiking the first week with 2009 AT alum, Mr. Right, who is helping me get through those first few days when so many folks drop out.

Looking forward to making many new friends on the Trail! See you in a few months, folks!

Ross "DirtyGirl" Hayduk
San Francisco, CA

SoHo
11-22-2011, 15:01
Trail Name: SoHo
Estimated Start Date: 20.March
Approach Trail: YES

These boots are made for walking :)

Aragorn
11-22-2011, 21:03
My partner and I are starting in Sylacauga Alabama for our approach trail around Feb 15 plan on being at springer mountain. around March 23. About a 300 mile approach trail.....Is that a long enough approach trail for you...My partner wanted to start there because he considers the trail to start there instead of Springer...Anyway it'll give us a chance to test our gear before we get too far from home, we both live in Alabama.

Sashay
11-23-2011, 12:21
Hello to all:

Nobo: Starting 3/3 -3/10
Trail Name: Sashay
Approach Trail: YUP

The A Team
11-24-2011, 19:52
Sounds interesting!!! Are you posting an online journal of your hike? Yes we will be journaling. It has already been started.

Broos
11-24-2011, 20:42
Trail Name: Guinea Pig GAPA '08, Fancypants GAME '09. I (obviously- Fancypants?) don't name myself, but my intended habit of handing out free health food all the way down the Trail will probably influence the process.
Direction: North. Again.
Estimated Start Date: Late. Hopefully May1. It depends on my companions, and how I intend to arrive at Trail Days.
Approach Trail: Depends on the hitch from Gainsville, but probably. Plus, I like Amicalola, and the approach trail is nice.

I'm justifying this trip by calling it promotion for a hiker food company I'm trying to get off the ground, so expect tons of free food from me. Really, that's just an excuse to hike again. Equally importantly, my mother and twelve year old brother will be joining me in southern Virginia and finishing it out with me. So, if you see a twelve year old, ask someone with him for free food.

Oh, likely 5-7 lb base weight to make room for extra food, too.
<- ultralighter

conburn
11-24-2011, 22:17
Trail Name: Nothing yet
Direction: Up!!...or north
Start Date: As soon as I can get down there after my birthday, most likely around the 15th of April
Approach Trail: yea probably

I have been antsy in the pantsy about this for awhile and I can't believe it is only 5ish months away. Stoked to be out in the best and worst of it.

clay pot
11-26-2011, 09:38
Trail name: Clay Pot
Direction NOBO
Start: November 28, 2011
Note: I am 71 +++ years old; have job that requires some attention until total retirement in May; plan is to do the total deal by 28 November 2012. I am running out of biological time. Need to get out there now and now wait until 2012 to find out of old "war" wounds have healed enough to permit this obsession to go forward.

iPhantom
11-26-2011, 19:37
Trail Name: IPhantom
Estimated Start Date: Late March, 2012

I better get this in before the Mayans kill us all!

bgood360
11-28-2011, 09:07
Trail Name: Hat
Start Date: Feb. 5
Approach Trail: Yep

LDog
11-28-2011, 12:14
Trail Name: IPhantom
Estimated Start Date: Late March, 2012

I better get this in before the Mayans kill us all!

It's the SoBos that must fear the Mayans!

RedRidingHood16
11-28-2011, 16:20
Trail Name: Djinnger (?)
Direction: SoBo
Estimated Start Date: May 15 - June 1 (whenever Baxter is open)
Approach Trail - Most Likely
Hiking with Steven (no trail name yet, and not registered here)

Chicken Feathers
11-28-2011, 16:24
Nothing yet sounds like a good trail name to me. Nothing Yet

marty1983
11-28-2011, 19:37
Marty-(not official trail name)
NOBO
February 19
Approach Trail? Sure, why not?
In shape? Not even close!

creekfreek
11-29-2011, 01:04
My partner and I are starting in Sylacauga Alabama for our approach trail around Feb 15 plan on being at springer mountain. around March 23. About a 300 mile approach trail.....Is that a long enough approach trail for you...My partner wanted to start there because he considers the trail to start there instead of Springer...Anyway it'll give us a chance to test our gear before we get too far from home, we both live in Alabama.

There it is... I'm looking forward to the walk but I really am dreading those February temps. Maybe we'll get lucky with good weather all the way.

kellyalice
11-29-2011, 02:07
trail name: yet to be determined
direction: NOBO
estimated start date: march 7
approach trail: yes

Cello
11-29-2011, 09:09
Trail name: TBD

Estimated start date: Mid-March

Approach: Why not?

Cello
11-29-2011, 09:13
Hey hey, I live near Damascus, VA and am heading down with my hiking partner and dog around that time. Have you found transportation yet?

Mfrenchy
11-29-2011, 13:03
Trail name: None Yet
Estimated start date: March 7th or 8th
Approach trail: Yes

Looking to tent as much as possible. Very excited

Meadow Creek
11-29-2011, 14:26
Trail name? Sure, if one comes up. I'm not really into dubbing myself. Jessie will do just fine for now.
The big day: early June-ish, give or take
Approach trail? Yep. The NOBO's approach is the SOBO's last hurrah.

Planned a solo thru some years ago, but life intervened and had to postpone it. Met a fella (goes by Jedimoto 'round here) in the interim who, happily, was willing to take this on, too. We'll be walking with our two intrepid trail hounds, stealth tarping, and probably grinning like fools.

Driving from WNC to ME, on account of the dogs--any SOBO who might want to carpool, get in touch.

darkage
11-29-2011, 15:23
Change of plans!

Still NOBO but looking at march 20th for a springer summit, and hiking solo .. brother bailed on me.

eflynn
11-29-2011, 16:50
Dir: NoBo
Start date: Thinking mid-Feb. date not solid yet
Approach Trail: why not?

It's Occupy My Life 2012!

mountain squid
11-29-2011, 20:00
Over 300 on the spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2012thruhikers)! Looks like there will be be alot of cold hikers in Feb . . . . http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen125.gif

Let me know if there are any updates or mistakes.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

BrokenStrings
11-29-2011, 22:13
Trail Name: Broken Strings
Direction: Sobo
Estimated Start Date: Mid-june
Approach Trail - yep, if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it all the way!

Old Hiker
11-30-2011, 07:39
Over 300 on the spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2012thruhikers)! Looks like there will be be alot of cold hikers in Feb . . . . http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen125.gif

Let me know if there are any updates or mistakes.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I'll let you know about any updates or mistakes about mid-March!! Thanks again for all the work!

jjimen16
11-30-2011, 23:57
Dont have one (If anyone thinks of one for me let me know!)
NOBO
March 11ish
Those stairs suck
My sister is getting married March10 2012, its what postponed my hike. Im getting married Sept. 1, 2012.
I hope I finish.

Joe Jimenez

Blacktop
12-01-2011, 19:54
Blacktop NOBO. Start date March 20 th approach trail yes

torii
12-01-2011, 21:15
Trail Name = torii
Direction = NOBO
Start Date = March 8, 2012
Approach Trail = yes

Robert Dingle
12-01-2011, 21:22
Trail Name: LongStride and SilverGirl
Start Date: March 23, 2012
A dream finally coming true. See you all on the trail.

endubyu
12-01-2011, 22:32
Trail Name: None
Direction: TBD
Start Date: Late June / Early July

attemptedskater
12-04-2011, 00:26
No names yet. The trail shall decide
NoBo
April 1st is Springer day
Approach Trail - no
I'll be with my girlfriend, our dog, and a camera.

Can't wait for the trail, the hikers, and the experience. See y'all there!

Brady
12-04-2011, 00:33
no trail name
nobo
sometime between mar 15th-april 1
i have no idea
i have never attempted anything like this before, it should be interesting

Flounder940
12-04-2011, 00:50
Trail Name = TBD
Direction = NOBO
Start Date = Feb 15th, 2012
Approach Trail = no

TOMP
12-04-2011, 01:53
Trail Name:TBD
Est. Start date: early or mid march.

Finally doing it!

tcha5782
12-04-2011, 23:33
Hi All,
Not sure if I officially count - not a thru-hiker, but finishing an interrupted thru from 2010.

Trail Name: Second Shift
Direction: NOBO starting from Mt. Race, CT/MA border
Estimated Start Date: June 1

I hiked GA-MA in 2010 and can't wait to get back out there. I may be in line with some "head-start" thru-hikers; send a PM if you want to link up. I'm sure I'll have plenty of alone time with just the black flies and my thoughts, and will appreciate any planned or unplanned company.
Tim

Ric Hamel
12-05-2011, 11:19
Old Crew
s-n
February 15 2012
Yes - Southern Terminus Approach Trail
Solo hike

pebbleshire
12-05-2011, 16:04
Estimated Start Date: March 8th
Approach Trail Name: Yes

dcretch57
12-05-2011, 21:07
Trail Name: Don't have one yet. I'll let ya'll decide.
Estimated start date: April 1, 2012
Approach Trail: Heck yes!

GranBob
12-06-2011, 17:43
Trail Name: Granbob
Estimated Start Date: March 7th 2012

Looking forward to a great hike and meeting most of you along the trail.

torii
12-07-2011, 10:45
Hi Mt. Squid,

I am posted but need to edit: Yes, it is Detroit, MI. Also, can you link to my (now activated) Trail Journals link? "www.trailjoournals.com/torii"

Thanks!

Torii

bamboo bob
12-07-2011, 11:51
Trail Name Bamboo Bob
Direction Nobo
Estimated Start Date March 26
Approach Trail Depend on time of day but likely

CaptainNemo
12-07-2011, 12:41
Trail Name: Possibilities: Me, It, Pig Pen, You There. I plan on being named though.
Estimated Start: April 1st
Approch Trail Estimator: Probably

ChinSpinach
12-07-2011, 14:00
Trail Name: I'll leave this up to people I run into

Trying to do this ultra-cheap for the challenge. That means no hotels, minimal shuttles, etc. If you see a guy with an 8" goatee at Springer, that's probably me (starting the beard early)

PUPPYHEAD
12-07-2011, 20:30
Trail Name: Acquired a pretty catchy name at deer camp when I was in my teens.... Puppyhead.... We'll see if something else catches on on the trail.
Est. Start Date: Early to Mid April, 2012
Approach Trail: Probably

MID LIFE CRISIS! Leaving the Army and need some time to decompress. Can't wait to meet and spend time with some of you!

ATHokie2012
12-08-2011, 08:17
Trail Name - TBD (Travis for now)
Direction - NoBo
Estimated Start Date - March 21
Approach Trail - Definitely

torii
12-08-2011, 09:09
Hi Mt. Squid,

I am posted but need to edit: Yes, it is Detroit, MI. Also, can you link to my (now activated) Trail Journals link? "www.trailjoournals.com/torii"

Thanks!

Torii

Mt. Squid, you are awesome!

just-john
12-08-2011, 09:51
Estimated Start Date: April 10th, 2012

Uh, Oh... It's official, now I really need to get serious about planning/training. See you all on the trail!!!!

blevi
12-08-2011, 13:24
Trail Name: Rising Sun
SOBO June 5th, 2012
Approach- Yes
"Nulla si fa senza volonta"
I hope to meet alot of people! Looking for someone to do the trail with, email me @ [email protected] if interested thanks see you out there!

blevi
12-08-2011, 13:28
Hi interested in maybe a trail partner? email me if you are [email protected] im 23 from ohio starting in june also

charlie_tuna
12-08-2011, 14:18
Trail Name: Undecided
Start Date: April 1st
HAMMOCK!

sxit
12-08-2011, 15:43
Trail Name I don't have one yet = (
Direction SoBo
Estimated Start Date May 25th
Approach Trail - yes

Coming on the trip with me are my friends Farside and Trail Tail, and my husky Loki. We can't wait to get started! If you're a SoBo leaving around the same time send me a message. It would be great to get in touch. See you on the trail!

Senor Jalapeno
12-09-2011, 16:56
Trail Name: Blue ( Changed from Senor Jalapeno during my attempt last year)

Estimated Start Date: April 11, 2012

Got bored and broke just below Shenandoa last year. Hiking with Snail and we bought all the food ahead of time this year. haha. See ya out there.

jacquelineanngrant
12-09-2011, 17:07
Trail name: Snail
Start Date: April 11

Mike2012
12-09-2011, 17:11
Trail Name: I'll leave this up to people I run into

Trying to do this ultra-cheap for the challenge. That means no hotels, minimal shuttles, etc. If you see a guy with an 8" goatee at Springer, that's probably me (starting the beard early)

Me too. Ultra cheap and started the beard. Started eating a lot too and then realized I had better work some exercise in so walking 5 miles a day.

ckwolf
12-10-2011, 12:46
Trail name: TBD
Direction:NOBO, ? flip at HF
Start Date: first week of April
Approach Trail: nope

Cat in the hat
12-10-2011, 15:39
NOBO
Trail Name: none yet
Start: March 20-April 6
My boyfriend Mike and I hope to finish before Labor Day. He will be slacking and I will be setting up and taking down the tent.

bubberrb
12-10-2011, 19:33
Trail Name: Swamp-ass or perhaps just Swampy
Estimated Start Date: Mid March
Approach Trail - yes or no: No
any additional info that you want the world to know: Ive hike the Whites in NH so i know what to expect, sort of.

Erkal77
12-11-2011, 11:55
#Update
No trail name as of yet.
NOBO
February 29th
Approach trail: YES
I initially had the start date of March 1st. However, I have since realized its a leap year. So basically the same day, just Feb. 29th now. Leap year day has a better ring to it ;-)

ravolie
12-12-2011, 12:50
Its my first crack at the full trail, I need as much info as possible, they call me ravolie, thank you, and best of luck to everyone.

atcsweatcrew
12-12-2011, 13:06
Stripper will be starting late May 2012 from Harpers Ferry heading North to Katahdin, then going back to Harpers and heading south to Springer.

hikerbee
12-12-2011, 15:05
Trail Name: None yet...
Estimated Start Date: March 10-15
Approach Trail: no

My boyfriend and I will be hitting the trail together - we hope to finish by mid-August. We're coming from Albuquerque, NM. See ya'll out there!

Will Thornton
12-13-2011, 02:37
Trail Name: Late Lunch
Esitmated Start Date: March 14 (Pi Day)

I did Virginia in 2009, Shenandoah Nat'l park in 2006. Been looking forward to this since 3rd grade.

ravolie
12-13-2011, 14:07
Trail Name- JoJo- dont have one yet(thinking steaming ravolie)haha
Direction-north
Estimated Start Date - march10
Approach Trail - yes or no- not sure yet

first time doing the thru hike, soooo excited!

tea2trey
12-14-2011, 19:53
How do I register for 2012 thru-hike

BFI
12-14-2011, 20:42
time to make it official

Trail Name dont have one yet
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date March 18 2012
Approach Trail - yes

Harpua
12-14-2011, 20:58
Trail name: been called MUD in Vermont

Start date: mid march

Approach trail: yes

tea2trey
12-15-2011, 11:49
Trail name "Train"
Direction - NoBo
Est. Start - April 1st
Just finished Bicycle tour of Ohio, West. Va, Pa. Now I'm ready to go Hiking. See ya on the trail!
Could use Transportation from Cincinnati or Louisville

dwwhitehead
12-15-2011, 16:00
Trail Name: Wet Beard

Estimated Start Date: March 14, 2012

single and ready to mingle... meooowww

T-dub
12-15-2011, 19:41
There's no turning back now

Trail Name: to be decided

Estimated Start date: March 28, 2012

Approach Trail: You bet!

Walkin with brother & cousin, and a guitar! will be my first time East of WI, beahhh!

Sanhican
12-17-2011, 12:33
Trail Name: Sanhican

Estimated Start Date: End of Feb.

Approach Trail: Haven't decided yet

8Iron
12-19-2011, 11:09
Trail Name: 8Iron
Estimated Start Date: April

no direction home
12-19-2011, 22:20
Trail Name: Still trying to think of one, maybe I'll just pick one up on the trail

Estimated start date: Late February

Approach Trail: Probably not

HT1
12-19-2011, 23:39
time to make it official

Trail Name HT1
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date FEB 29, 2012
Approach Trail - yes

Looking to Share Transportation From Jacksonville FL. Start date can slide two weeks left or right to accommodate

MikeGoingToMaine
12-21-2011, 10:22
Hi everyone! My first long distance hike..

I plan to start March 1st
I am going Northbound.
I do not have a trail name, I hope someone gives me one on the way!
Approach Trail - Yes, of course.

darkage
12-21-2011, 22:04
Anyone staying at the hiker hostel on march 19th and starting on march 20th ?

LDog
12-22-2011, 00:09

I plan on staying at the Hostel on the 18th and starting the 19th. Hike to Black Gap Shelter, and summit Springer early morning on the 20th.

two isles
12-22-2011, 11:41
Trail Name: Two Isles
Estimated Start Date: Feb 28 or 29
Approach Trail - yes or no: Most likely

HolySmoke!
12-22-2011, 15:08
Picking up where i left off in 2010... Starting Pearisburg sometime in February 2012.. North Bound

HolySmoke!

darkage
12-22-2011, 17:13
I plan on staying at the Hostel on the 18th and starting the 19th. Hike to Black Gap Shelter, and summit Springer early morning on the 20th.

Excellent, i'll pack extra applesauce for when i catch up! I'm not 100% sure if i wanna do the aproach trail, I feel like if i don't i'll miss something, but i've heard the steps and lack of views make it not really worth it and just start at springer mountain ... So, Either way i'll either be slightly in front of you if i start march 20th at springer, or slightly behind you if someone changes my mind about the aproach trail ... Look foreward to meeting you, we've talked alot on facebook ... I remember you weren't sure of a start date cause of the wife not sure if she could make it ... Good luck everyone in 2012!

Scubafreak
12-22-2011, 18:59
Trail Name:Don't have one yet
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date FEB 29, 2012
Approach Trail - Hell yea why not
Wish I could have done it this year 2011 But had something happen. Nothings stopping me this year See yall out their

Robert Fox
12-22-2011, 19:36
My wife and I- No trail name
Direction-NOBO
Start-March 15-30
Approach- Maybe
Just got married so we decided to quit our jobs, sell everything we own, go for a long walk, and see what opportunities await.

LDog
12-22-2011, 23:37
... I remember you weren't sure of a start date cause of the wife not sure if she could make it ... Good luck everyone in 2012!

Yeah, she's had gallstones giving her fits. She's scheduled for laparoscopic surgery early next month. We'll see how she does after that.

Jeff
12-23-2011, 06:40
Yeah, she's had gallstones giving her fits. She's scheduled for laparoscopic surgery early next month. We'll see how she does after that.

My wife had that same problem and surgery last year. She recovered quickly and was completely back to normal in just 3-4 weeks. Hope your wife bounces back the same !!!

LDog
12-23-2011, 10:30
My wife had that same problem and surgery last year. She recovered quickly and was completely back to normal in just 3-4 weeks. Hope your wife bounces back the same !!!

Thanks. That's what we're hoping for

Chief White Brow
12-23-2011, 17:10
Trail nane: Chief White Brow
Start date: 1 March in Hampton Tn. Doing a flip-flop

PJWetzel
12-25-2011, 10:29
Trail Name: Seeks It
Direction: Attempting a full double thru hike entirely by out-and-back day hike sections (as far as I know noboby's done this before)
Starting date: January 1st

Will be doing several flip-flops along the way to hit the best weather conditions:
1. SW Virginia and Northern TN during January-March
2. Springer thru Great Smoky Mtns NP March-April (where I hope to taste the flavor of the start-up frenzy)
3. Pennsylvania working NOBO April -July 1
4. NH and Maine July 1 until finished
5. Vermont working SOBO to where I left off on July 1st
6. MD to SW VA, finishing some time in November or December depending ...

I'm doing the MD and VA section last because it is the section (350 trail miles from Caledonia Park, PA to Troutville, VA) that I've already hiked.

Just a week to go before I hit the trail. I'm STOKED!

Happy holidays everyone, may your stockings be stuffed with all the gear of your dreams!

clowd
12-26-2011, 10:54
Trail Name: ClowdWalker
Start Date: mid March
Approach: One step at a time...

I've been dreaming of this for 39 yrs...woo hoo...time to walk the talk!...so very excited...keep up with me body...we have places to go!
Look forward to meeting you all!

J. Foolery
12-27-2011, 00:53
Trail Name- Selena. Trail name TBD
Est. Start Date: May 7
Approach Trail: No- actually starting in Damascus b/c I'm graduating from E&H College right down the road in May. Stoopid bachelor's degree :(

Hairball
12-27-2011, 01:50
Trail Name: Hairball

Estimated Start Date: March 27, 2012

Approach Trail: Probably yes.

Hammock Hanger for now...can't wait to start the trail!

rtramseyer
12-27-2011, 01:59
no trailname yet
starting Mar. 20
approach trail

My plan exactly! will you be starting from Amicalola or Springer?

Medic40
12-27-2011, 19:48
No trail name set yet. But I am leaning towards "Will the Krill"
NOBO
March 15
Approach trail? 8 more miles? sure, why not.

Hope to see yall out there

TWTP
12-28-2011, 22:11
Hello all,

SOBO
May 31 or ASAP

Ga.me time
12-28-2011, 22:40
Ga.me timeNoboMarchApproach: yes

strollingalong
12-29-2011, 12:29
could now be doing north south or flip flop starting any bloody time I can.

darkage
12-29-2011, 14:05
no trailname yet
starting Mar. 20
approach trail

My plan exactly! will you be starting from Amicalola or Springer?

Gonna start at springer ...

TammyLynn
12-29-2011, 22:30
Just an update...my trail name has changed. It was "a-ka". It is now "misplaced moose"!

Juice
12-29-2011, 23:19
Trail name- Juice, Juice Putin, Juice-tafari. Take your pickDirection- NOBOStart date- March 24th or 25thApproach trail- Why the hell not?Happy trails!

Juice
12-29-2011, 23:20
That didn't turn out how I thought!

ezNomad
12-30-2011, 00:30
Trail Name: ezNomad
Estimated Start Date: April 2-3
Approach Trail - yes or no: YES

Scribbles82
12-30-2011, 00:36
Trail Name: Scribbles
Estimated Start Date: March 15th

Nick&Bruce
12-31-2011, 00:13
Alright, all you 2012ers, time to make it official . . . Trail Name - I'll let you guys decide.Direction - NOBOEstimated Start Date - April 15thApproach Trail - Yes. Hiked it to drop off my buddy on his attempt last year and fell in love with hiking. Trying to get him to join me this year.I'll be hiking with my best bud, my dog, Bruce.

Dumplings
12-31-2011, 00:59
Dumplings, GaMe, Feb 29

spoons
12-31-2011, 16:06
Start Date: Second week of May (another college student waiting for finals to end)
Approach Trail: probably
I'm glad to see some other college students in the same boat. I'll probably be so antsy during finals period - should make studying interesting!

Bostonbcprs
12-31-2011, 20:36
Start Date: March 22nd or 23rd

Sanhican
01-01-2012, 13:02
Update: Start Date: 1-7 March

Megapixel
01-01-2012, 16:43
time to make it official . . . :D

Trail Name: megapixel
Estimated Start Date: 3/29/12
Approach Trail - yes
500 miles last year was just enough to make me realize i still want this. good luck everyone!

bgood360
01-02-2012, 17:14
An Update:

Trail Name: Hat
Estimated Start Date: a firm 2/29 (reservations made at Amicalola Falls night of 2/28)
Approach Trail - yes

okmed
01-02-2012, 19:06
Tbd....march tenth.approach trail definitely

aakers
01-02-2012, 19:14
Trail name: TBD probably something to do with hula hoops as i will be carrying one!Start date: April 9ish, 2012Direction: NOBO approach trail: yes of course!

aakers
01-02-2012, 19:16
Whoops, that posted funny!

MichaelJSamuels
01-02-2012, 20:03
Hey Guys,

Trail Name - I was dubbed "Jukebox" on the J.M.T., haven't decided if I want to keep it or not for the A.T.

Direction - NOBO

Start Date - ~March 15

Approach Trail - Probably

Can't wait. At the risk of of effacing some of the face to face novelty, if anybody wants to chat about anything and everything A.T. feel free to shoot me an email. It'd be nice to have some familiar names to keep an eye out for.

-Michael

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
01-02-2012, 20:14
Trail name: Tic-Toc
March 30
Approach Trail: No (Did it for the third time: at 24,32,63)

Six-Six
01-02-2012, 21:03
Yes, it's 2012, April 1st. Laid off - so it's on for sure.
No to the approach trail - girlfriend is going to transport me to Hwy42 and join me for the first mile (2) back to the terminus.

Nitrojoe
01-02-2012, 22:44
Trail Name: Nitrojoe
Estimated Start Time: March 07, 2012

Tallahassee
01-03-2012, 14:15
Trail Name:
TALLAHASSEE

Direction:
NOBO

Estimated Start Date:
MARCH 1

Approach Trail - yes or no:
NO

i'M LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING SOME GREAT FOLKS IN THE AT TRAVELING COMMUNITY. WE'LL SHARE A GREAT EXPERIENCE!