PDA

View Full Version : Jansport Trail Series Carson Backpack

squirrely
04-10-2011, 22:46
http://www.amazon.com/JanSport-Trail-Series-Carson-Backpack/dp/B001M0O86E/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

The reviews on Amazon seem to be good, but I was curious if anyone on Whiteblaze had any experience with this pack?

Thanks!

trailangelbronco
04-10-2011, 22:59
Holy crap, 5 lbs! The ones at Walmart are lighter than that, and I know many who swear by them.

dmax
04-10-2011, 23:15
I've got two older Jansports that I love. But, I'm always looking for another. Hope someone has a review of the pack for us.

jfarrell04
04-10-2011, 23:44
I bought one of these from REI in April 2009 just prior to taking a short overnite trip with my then 11-year old daughter on the Twin Valley Backpacking Trail here in the Dayton area. Within the first hour, the seam at the shoulder strap/backpack connection failed!!! as in ripped out - hiked the remainder of the trip without it. My sister, being a seamstress, looked at the stitching after we got back home and told me that the seams/connections throughout the entire back were pretty weak. She offered to re-seam the entire back (at least at the critical points), but I opted to return it for a full refund, which was gladly given. I don't recommend this pack for any "heavy-duty" use.

slowandlow
04-11-2011, 13:27
I had one of these packs, and found it to be well made and comfortable. They are heavy, but will hold a huge amount of gear. It has plenty of pockets and expands upward to accommodate even more gear. I especially liked the panel loading front, two zippers slide down to expose the whole inside of the pack making access very easy.

I have since lightened up considerably and no longer have this pack, but I would regard it as a good choice for someone with bulky gear, or on a extended trip on a trail other than the AT where resupply is not so frequent and minimizing weight is not as important to the user.