PDA

View Full Version : Glasses

vfherman
04-11-2011, 05:34
Got a silly question for those who wear glasses. I just start wearing glasses, and was wondering, where do you guys usually put them so they don't get messed up? Thanks in advance all.

Vinny

vfherman
04-11-2011, 05:34
Of course I meant when we bed down for the night. :eek:

daddytwosticks
04-11-2011, 07:24
If using my tent, the built-in storage pocket on the wall. Tarping or using shelters, inside my shoe close enough so I can find them in the morning. Never had an issue where they were damaged, but I tend not to be a klutz. :)

rhapsody98
04-11-2011, 08:06
Definately in my shoe. No one is likely to step on them or kick them. I always know where to reach for them, and they can't fall from anywhere.

Montana Mac
04-11-2011, 09:49
One more for in the shoe.

I just went to 30 day contacts so I will see how they work out.

Blissful
04-11-2011, 09:51
I carry a soft sided case. Ever since the mouse ate the nosepads in a shelter I stayed in. Then I also know where they are at all times. Not sure I would put them in a shoe for someone new to glass wearing, not to mention critters who will chew on them. I don't put wet smelly shoes in my tent, and in a shelter they can be gotten in to, etc.

Old Hiker
04-11-2011, 09:59
Side pocket of my hammock up by my head. That way, they are out of reach until morning and I'm not crushing them by mistake. I don't need them to scream loudly at noises in the night and if something is starting to drag me away, I don't wanna know WHAT it is! Make it quickly, because it won't be quietly!

Ender
04-11-2011, 10:02
I stopped bringing my glasses with me on hikes, and just use contacts. Been doing this for years and years, including my AT thru and my 1/2 hike of the PCT.

klpicktown
04-11-2011, 11:34
hang glasses on a d ring in my tent for the night... but daily contacts are the best thing i ever switched to (new pair everyday)

Raul Perez
04-11-2011, 11:40
I hang my glasses off the ridgeline of my hammock. I use contacts during the day and glasses at camp. I can't sleep with my contacts in.

ChinMusic
04-11-2011, 11:59
Anything I carry in my pockets plus my sunglasses go in my shoes at night. It's just a part of my routine.

JAK
04-11-2011, 12:15
I like to sleep under a tree, with small bivy and tarp, and like to make use of any natural nooks and hooks for hanging my candle latern and storing my glasses, watch, lighter. I've gotten pretty good at relighting the candle lantern in the middle of the night if I need to and like making do without batteries. Using natural nooks and hooks and stuff adds to the experience. I've grown fond of certain trees, as favourite bivy sites.

vfherman
04-11-2011, 15:21
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I appreciate it.

BigHodag
04-11-2011, 23:30
I put mine in the storage pocket on my hammock or hang them on the ridgeline. I also flip the pocket into the hammock so if they fall out I have a shot at finding them. I wear sturdy plastic glasses with plastic lenses. Not into dainty frames that need lots of TLC.

In tents, I usually place them in the loft or a side storage pocket.

If none or cowboy camping, then I put them in a boot.

I also use a washable glasses strap to ensure they don't fall off and get lost when bending into a creek for water or looking down for footing among boulders.

wythekari
04-11-2011, 23:54
I only use mine for reading but I'm OCD about this - if I'm not wearing them they go in a hard case and then in a specific pack pocket, depending on which pack I am using.

jeremiah j
04-12-2011, 00:09
Also used boots. May need case at nite. Never thought about mice eating nosepads. Anybody else have this problem?

tjforrester
04-12-2011, 00:57
I put mine in a sock.

jlb2012
04-12-2011, 05:17
this may sound odd but as a hammocker I sleep on my back and I don't take off my glasses - I sleep with them on - among other things I like the fact that they aren't fogged up if I have to get up in the middle of a cold night

Spokes
04-12-2011, 07:41
My optometrist gave me a very light weight plastic hard case to carry. Worked great!

Dkeener
04-12-2011, 12:02
I put my glasses in a hard case and in one of the tent pockets.

Put them in a boot once and bent the frames when my hiking partner stepped on the boot while taking a late night stroll.

Dennis

Hikes in Rain
04-12-2011, 14:06
Someone here, don't remember who, mentioned a Dollar General hard plastic glasses case for, well, $1. My wife and I burned up who knows how much gas to find one, and sure enough, for a dollar I got a nice hard case that weighs less than an ounce, compared to my regular case weighing in at five! (I wear contacts, so I'd be carrying glasses and case) And, it's a glaring, brilliant turquoise in color, so that if I drop it, I'll still be able to see it without contacts. (It'll be the little turquoise blob in the uniform greenish blur.)