PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks vs tents, and bad backs

TrailBlaz'n
04-11-2011, 12:35
Hi, I broke my back a few years ago and though I have full mobility and streangth I do sometimes have pains when sleeping. Is a hammock sleeping system better on your back then a good ground pad and tent? Also I am 6'6'' and fear that the hammocks may be to small, is this an issue or are these hammocks made for guys my size?

Thanks for looking and appreciate the future comments

Bearpaw
04-11-2011, 17:25
It varies from one back injury to another, but my wife had issues from a rear impact car impact. The discs had to restraightened and 7 discs were herniated. She healed somewhat and can backpack with a solid hipbelt, though it can be tough for her at times. She became a stomach sleeper.

She was convinced a hammock would bend her spine and give her worse pain. But one day on a dayhike, I experimented with a new hammock rig. I convinced her to at least hop in to feel it while I set up my tarp. In the 3-4 minutes it took to set up the tarp, she fell sound asleep. When she woke up 45 minutes, she decided to try out a hammock for herself. She now hammocks any time we're out and even takes naps in our hammock at home.

Some hammocks will be too short for you. Check out some information on hammockforums.net . I can say with confidence that the ENO Doublenest would work for you. It's quite large and very comfortable when lying diagonal (because you can lay almost flat) with no pressure points like a mattress - or the ground.

Buffalo Skipper
04-11-2011, 17:29
I cannot comment on the back issues, but as far as height goes, you may want to look into a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. It is the second longest (though slightly narrower) hammock on the market. I am 6'1" and fit fine in it.

+1 on hammockforums.net. Check out the Grand Trunk section under Manufacturers and Services. I have made several posts there and commented on many others.

Good luck.

gunner76
04-11-2011, 20:18
Try a Warbonnet BlackBird. For me, there is no comparison between sleeping a hammock and tent, the hammock wins.

However not everyone can make the swtich. Check out Hammock Forums to see there any group hangs in your area that you can attend to check out the different hammock setups (yes tenters can attend) and or check to see if there any hangers in your area that you can get up with. Most of us will be happy to show off our gear.

Dogwood
04-11-2011, 20:35
I like the speed and simplicity of getting going in the morning by just cowboy camping. But, weather/hiking conditions don't always make that easy or practical.

Sometimes I bushwack, below treeline, in steep rain forested mountainous or VERY rainy areas or where the ground comes alive at night with dangerous creepy crawlies. I sometimes hike/bushwack in such areas like I just did in Hawaii. This is when I like switching to a hammock set-up. I'm 6'4", start off sleeping on my back, and then flip from side to side all night. I've had bouts of lower back trouble from decades of competitive running, tennis, and basketball. At first, sounds like a hammock is not the answer. Actually, with the Hennessy UL Asymetrical Long, made for those up to 250 lbs and over 6'2", I sleep comfortably throughout the night. Just bought a new one with their Christmas Special/Sale. Love it!

You might want to check one out or some other comparable hammock. At Trail Days in Virginia there are usually a few hammock companies displaying there products. Check one out!

rjjones
04-11-2011, 21:17
There is a hang at Pine Grove Furnace PA,April 30th.Double check that date on hammock forum but i'm 99% sure about it.I have a herniated L4-L5 that bothers me.I bought a hammock and will be at the hang to look at all the different set ups.Havent slept in it yet but set it up and layed in it for a while and it seemed like it will be nice.Got a warbonnet black bird.Man is it light.Good luck,Bob