PDA

View Full Version : AZT Section Advice

Ankle Bone
04-11-2011, 20:47
Greetings!

Doing my first section on AZT in May or June, most likely between Tucson and Mormon Lake. Some general rookie questions:

Water on trail or carry all you need?
Animals to be aware of?
Temps?
Any rain?

Any help appreciated

garlic08
04-11-2011, 21:08
The AZT in the low desert north of Tucson in May is likely to be hot, in the 90s. Rain is pretty unlikely. Go as soon as you can. Carefully read the water report available from the ATA website and plan accordingly. You'll probably need to cache water at least at Freeman road, and you'll need transportation to do that. Even so, your water carries might exceed 30 miles.

You'll also need to be ready for below-freezing temps in the Catalinas, Mazatzals, and on the Rim.

Desert animals to be wary of include snakes and scorpions, and the occasional large cat. There are bear near Mormon Lake. The animals aren't a problem at all compared to the cactus, if you're new to hiking this area. There's a pretty good section on all this in the official AZT guide, though the trail info is out of date.

Be sure to join the ATA to get the latest map and guidebook data. The Trail is changing rapidly, with some new sections opening this year.

From Mormon Lake, it's a nice walk right into downtown Flagstaff where you can catch shuttles back to Phoenix and Tucson. The Mormon Lake Lodge is a very nice place and they are very hiker friendly.

Enjoy your hike--it's an incredible trail.

Ankle Bone
04-11-2011, 21:13
The AZT in the low desert north of Tucson in May is likely to be hot, in the 90s. Rain is pretty unlikely. Go as soon as you can. Carefully read the water report available from the ATA website and plan accordingly. You'll probably need to cache water at least at Freeman road, and you'll need transportation to do that. Even so, your water carries might exceed 30 miles.

You'll also need to be ready for below-freezing temps in the Catalinas, Mazatzals, and on the Rim.

Desert animals to be wary of include snakes and scorpions, and the occasional large cat. There are bear near Mormon Lake. The animals aren't a problem at all compared to the cactus, if you're new to hiking this area. There's a pretty good section on all this in the official AZT guide, though the trail info is out of date.

Be sure to join the ATA to get the latest map and guidebook data. The Trail is changing rapidly, with some new sections opening this year.

From Mormon Lake, it's a nice walk right into downtown Flagstaff where you can catch shuttles back to Phoenix and Tucson. The Mormon Lake Lodge is a very nice place and they are very hiker friendly.

Enjoy your hike--it's an incredible trail.

Thanks. I was thinking of doing a section around Superior into Superstition Wilderness. Are there cats or bears in that area? Are bear canisters required?

And thanks for the advice on joining AZT. Did that recentlt and ordered the guide book, so hopefully will have enough info, but always good to hear from the actual hikers.

Thanks Much!

maybe clem
04-11-2011, 23:15
I lived in Tucson and I can't imagine doing this hike in May and June, that sounds crazy to me. Tucson temps in May and June climb to 100F+. Those are the driest months of the year and before someone tells you that's preferable, believe me, it can be worse than humid heat, especially if you're not accustomed to it. You'll need to be very careful to choose cool clothing that covers you from the sun, including a helmet drape and face cover. Do not underestimate the power of the sun there. Tucson has the second-highest rate of skin cancer in the world.

It'll be much cooler in the Catalinas, 40s-60s, not freezing. There's very little water during those months and the Santa Catalina District ranger station is notoriously unreliable about information on water sources.

That's a very difficult section to do unsupported. If you get the chance you might want to drop by either of the two Summit Huts in Tucson and talk to the owner, Dave Baker. He thruhiked the trail in 2008:

http://www.summithut.com/pages/aztrail-log/

garlic08
04-12-2011, 00:16
Large mammals are not a huge issue on the trail, at least away from the urban interface. Foothills areas near large populations have typical problems. Consider yourself lucky if you see one on the AZT. Bear cannisters are not needed.

pyroman53
04-12-2011, 11:59
Although not familiar with much of the actual trail, I've read the guidebook and have lived in AZ for 25 years. May and June is not the time to do the desert sections unless you are an experienced desert hiker. Certainly, being able to crank out some big mileage helps shorten the time between water as well. As Garlic said, water is unreliable and far between. If you run out of water at that time of the year, you can die. There is little room for error. There are some very nice sections at higher elevations that would be perfect for May/June. The section Garlic mentioned from Mormon Lake would be awesome.

Ankle Bone
04-12-2011, 12:08
Although not familiar with much of the actual trail, I've read the guidebook and have lived in AZ for 25 years. May and June is not the time to do the desert sections unless you are an experienced desert hiker. Certainly, being able to crank out some big mileage helps shorten the time between water as well. As Garlic said, water is unreliable and far between. If you run out of water at that time of the year, you can die. There is little room for error. There are some very nice sections at higher elevations that would be perfect for May/June. The section Garlic mentioned from Mormon Lake would be awesome.

I probably should have been more clear, so my apologies. By "section", I really meant 2-3 day hike as that is all my schedule will permit. We are able to carry all of what we need for water if no sources (2 gallons each per day, have done this before in other deserts), so we would not be doing miles and miles as I may have mislead.

Mormon Lake is an option, but Superior would greatly decrease our drive time, and we like hangin in the desert.

Based on my clarifications, is this still not advised?

Thanks for the help!

Spirit Walker
04-12-2011, 13:09
In that time period temperatures may well be in the 100's. I would go farther north.

maybe clem
04-12-2011, 14:06
Based on my clarifications, is this still not advised?

I don't mean to be rude but this really is insane. You would need more than two gallons of water per day to hike in those temps. The ski islands have some forested areas but the majority of the trail is harsh, exposed desert. You'd have to start hiking at 3AM and stop by 9AM. Bark scorpions and rattlesnakes are out in force and looking for food at that time of the year. The young rattlers have just hatched and they don't control their venom, they tend to dump it all into their victim. You'd be hiking at the time of day when they're most active. And there are a hundred more reasons why this is really poor planning.

Tucsonans wouldn't do what you're proposing. That should answer your question.

Ankle Bone
04-12-2011, 21:48
I don't mean to be rude but this really is insane. You would need more than two gallons of water per day to hike in those temps. The ski islands have some forested areas but the majority of the trail is harsh, exposed desert. You'd have to start hiking at 3AM and stop by 9AM. Bark scorpions and rattlesnakes are out in force and looking for food at that time of the year. The young rattlers have just hatched and they don't control their venom, they tend to dump it all into their victim. You'd be hiking at the time of day when they're most active. And there are a hundred more reasons why this is really poor planning.

Tucsonans wouldn't do what you're proposing. That should answer your question.

Not rude at all. I appreciate the honesty, and apologize for the ignorance. I was given Superior area and Mormon Lake as options, and leaned toward Superior mostly because of time convenience. Looks like Mormon Lake it is.

Thanks all for advice

Shutterbug
04-12-2011, 22:24
If you have three days to hike, consider Aravaipa Canyon. It is really an interesting hike. It is not on the Arizona Trail, but has all the features of a desert hike, except a lack of water.

Because water flows thorugh the canyon year-round, there is a wide variety of wild-life. There is a lot of shade so when it gets really hot, you can find relatively comfortable shelter from the sun.

You can easily hike from end to end and explore the major side canyons in three days.

My most interesting experience in the canyon came in one of the side canyons named "Hell Hole". All of a sudden large rocks started raining down on us from above. We dodged the rocks and ran for the middle of the canyon. When we looked up, we saw that big horn sheep were knocking the rocks off the ledge. I can't swear that they were intentionally trying to hurt us, but it sure seemed that way.

If you are interested, my photos are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/naznetmcclung/AravaipaCanyonWilderness#

fiddlehead
04-12-2011, 22:45
My friend who lives near Tucson said it rained 2 days ago.
He has been waiting for that so he could go do some desert hiking.
He knows all the pot holes that have water after a rain though.

He also said the desert is very ugly this year because the snow that came a few weeks ago killed all the spring vegetation.

Shutterbug
04-12-2011, 23:30
My friend who lives near Tucson said it rained 2 days ago.
He has been waiting for that so he could go do some desert hiking.
He knows all the pot holes that have water after a rain though.

He also said the desert is very ugly this year because the snow that came a few weeks ago killed all the spring vegetation.

I spend winters in Green Valley, AZ which is near Tucson. I moved back to Washington last week.

It wasn't the snow that caused problems in the desert, but the record low temperatures. Temperatures got down to 4 below zero in Maderia Canyon and 17 degrees where I live. A lot of the desert vegetation suffered from the prolonged freeze.

From what I observed, plants used in desert landscapes suffered a lot more than the plants in the desert. Many of the land scape plants are brought to Arizona from the California desert where prolonged freezes are not a factor. All of the palm trees look dead, but new green sprouts are beginning to appear.

I agree with your friend that the desert landscape is ugly this year because of the dying plants.

Marnee
04-13-2011, 14:50
Ugly? Hardly. It's been spectacular out in the canyons of Catalina Mtn, and the Rincons have been lovely.

garlic08
04-13-2011, 15:03
Ugly? Hardly. It's been spectacular out in the canyons of Catalina Mtn, and the Rincons have been lovely.

Glad to hear it--same here! I climbed Picketpost yesterday and the strawberry hedgehogs and ocotillos were fantastic.

I also met Graham, a triple crowner section-hiking the AZT, and gave him a shuttle ride up to Lake Roosevelt. It was pure luck running into him on the few hundred yards of AZT between the Picketpost trail and the trailhead.

Ankle Bone
04-13-2011, 18:11
Thanks again. All very useful info. Looking forward to stepping on another trail.

cynhikr
05-16-2011, 23:21
If you decide on a north-central section, I'd recommend the Rimside Grill & Cabins in Pine for a town day if necessary. Steve and tamara are very accommodating to AzT hikers.
I just hiked the Highline Trail this past W/E (some of which is also the AzT) - temps were 73h & 45l. The sections on or just below the Mogollon Rim (26, 27, 28 & 29) should be wonderful.
Most if not all National Forests in Az. have a fire ban in effect (does not apply right now to 'developed' (fee charged campGROUNDS).

garlic08
05-17-2011, 00:09
If you decide on a north-central section, I'd recommend the Rimside Grill & Cabins in Pine for a town day if necessary. Steve and tamara are very accommodating to AzT hikers....

Ditto on the Rimside Grill. Even if you don't stay in town, get a meal or two there. They also have the only hiker box I saw on the AZT.

Ankle Bone
05-29-2011, 14:21
I lived in Tucson and I can't imagine doing this hike in May and June, that sounds crazy to me. Tucson temps in May and June climb to 100F+. Those are the driest months of the year and before someone tells you that's preferable, believe me, it can be worse than humid heat, especially if you're not accustomed to it. You'll need to be very careful to choose cool clothing that covers you from the sun, including a helmet drape and face cover. Do not underestimate the power of the sun there. Tucson has the second-highest rate of skin cancer in the world.

It'll be much cooler in the Catalinas, 40s-60s, not freezing. There's very little water during those months and the Santa Catalina District ranger station is notoriously unreliable about information on water sources.

That's a very difficult section to do unsupported. If you get the chance you might want to drop by either of the two Summit Huts in Tucson and talk to the owner, Dave Baker. He thruhiked the trail in 2008:

http://www.summithut.com/pages/aztrail-log/

We just got back from our hike. Temps for May for Superior were mid 80's and Tucson was 90 flat. Not what I'd call insane but Maybe for Some. :)

Anyway, we went north from Mormon Lake area and it was great. Did not see one other person with a pack and it was a weekend. Trail is great and certainly not overused at this point. Saw elk, cyote, and deer along the way.

Thanks for all of the good advice. And I have to compliment Dave Hicks fron AZ Trail Assoc. and the good folks at Mormon Lake. Not enough space to list all of the good stuff they did for us. We'll be back!