PDA

View Full Version : Experienced backpackers help is wanted

mot13ley
04-12-2011, 01:01
So the end of the semester is SLOWLY coming to an end (I can not stress the slowly part enough), and I'll be going on my first extended backpacking trip. I have a brother who started in Georgia this week, so I'll be hiking south from Pa to meet with him, then hike back up to Pa. I have all of the necessities, but I haven't been on a backpacking trip that lasted more than 3 days. Everyone tells me to make sure I have all of the "small stuff" to make my trek more comfortable. Can I have a few experienced jokers recommend "outside of the box" gear to help me along my hike? I'm getting anxious and can't wait to set sail on my adventure, I just want to make sure I don't leave anything useful behind!

mot13ley
04-12-2011, 01:02
Replace jokers with hikers, stupid iPhone auto-correct!

TFOS
04-12-2011, 01:31
Clearly you haven't been here long. You had it right the first time. :D

leaftye
04-12-2011, 02:31
It worries me when you mention all those little things that will make you comfortable. You're going hiking, not just camping. Adding a bunch of luxury items is going to seriously weigh you down. Take the essentials and absolutely no toys. Your brother will probably already be much faster than you, so don't make that speed differential worse by weighing yourself down with an unnecessarily heavy pack. You probably won't even miss the toys because you'll be so tired at the end of the day that you'll just go to sleep.

In fact, meet your brother near a post office and have him go through your gear and mail home all the junk you don't need. He'll probably be mailing home some of his gear too.

Since you will be hiking together, you can go much lighter than usual. Don't bring your own stove. Use his and just carry your own fuel. If he has a 2 man tent, leave your tent at home and share with him. If he is using a filter or Steripen, use his, but you might want to bring your own batteries for the Steripen.

One concept that may be newish and out of the box to you is using non-goretex trail running shoes instead of boots. The most successful thru hikers swear that this is the best way to go. It is less stressful on your body, causes fewer blisters, and isn't more dangerous to your ankles because you're forced to place your feet more carefully.

Dogwood
04-12-2011, 03:14
You mention the "small stuff" and "necessities." I know you were specifically referring to gear when you used those words. While gear is important. Gear can make a difference in a hike, especially a prolonged hike. However, I don't think the perfect piece of gear or gear set-up or magical just-have-to have piece of gear are the most important "things" to be bringing along on a hike. IMO, more important to completing a happy thru-hike or lengthy trek are: a sense of humor, good attitude, adaptable/flexible mindset through all the things that wiil unknowingly occur, purpose, and that thing between your ears - your brain. Some hikers mistakenly think that if they can control everything or plan for everything or have the perfect gear set-up that it will make for a successful hike. KNOW, that you will not do that on a lengthy hike; that's one of the beautiful things about hiking, especially a long distance hike, you will not control everything! I tell this to hikers and they can't or don't accept this. They are too much creatures of a controlling and have to have all the answers habit.

Since you say you have only been out hiking for at the most 3 days at a time I assume it probably means you have limited gear knowledge. Don't sweat it! As you hike south to meeet your brother and then hike north with him you will learn about gear and what's better/best FOR YOU AND YOUR HIKING. It's the natural progression even among thru-hikers.

GO! Enjoy the wilderness, the comradarie of other hikers, your brother's company, and your hike! You'll learn alot. Perhaps, you will be able to take what you learn while out hiking and apply it to the rest of your life. Perhaps, this trek will change you in ways not now forseeable! Share what you learn with others. Hiking, with the attributes I just mentioned, just may make you, in some way, a better person!

Now, finish your semester. There is value in that too that will set the stage for many future experiences..

Hikemor
04-12-2011, 07:55
Leave the iPhone and other electronic bits at home. The only thing you need with a battery is a flashlight (and maybe a watch).

Spokes
04-12-2011, 07:58
Warren Doyle has a class on "How to Hike the AT".

BTW, do you like sushi?

bigcranky
04-12-2011, 08:05
Sounds like a great plan for the summer.

You don't really need that much stuff for a long distance hike. You be walking most of the time, not camping. The basics: shelter, clothing, kitchen, food. A databook or AT guidebook so you know where to resupply. Beyond that, a couple of luxury items are fine, but they depend on your preferences. For example, my wife won't hike without a book, but I never bring one. I like my iPod Nano for music when I am lying in my bag at night. Some people bring a cell phone, others bring a musical instrument (in both cases, please use appropriately.)

Have fun!

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-12-2011, 08:15
Since when does your watch need a battery?!

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BN0000-04H-Eco-Drive-Professional-Rubber/dp/B000EQS1RO/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1302610425&sr=8-39

Also: good luck this semester, it's the worst right now... go ahead and write that paper you're putting off!

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 09:23
I suggest posting a complete gear list here and then I'm sure you will have plenty of people here telling you everything you are doing wrong. But for starters don't forget to pack a Frisbee.

toemaetoe
04-12-2011, 09:38

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BN0000-04H-Eco-Drive-Professional-Rubber/dp/B000EQS1RO/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1302610425&sr=8-39

I have an eco-drive, and it hates cold and dark (ie: winter). So, if you're relying on an eco-drive for, well, accuracy, make sure that you wear it all the time to keep it warm (especially at night) and wear short-sleeves during the day (with direct sunlight whenever you can get it), otherwise you'll lose a couple of hours every night. YMMV

sbhikes
04-12-2011, 10:30
Everyone who said not to try and add things is right. A hiking trip is not the same as a camping trip. You maximize the hiking fun when hiking by not loading yourself down with junk.

One of the biggest mistakes beginners make is they try to reproduce everything from home. Starting with bathroom stuff, they bring all the hygiene products they currently use in the large bottles and everything. Hmm, let's see, we need a towel..in goes the towel...we need TP...in goes a whole roll. Moving on to the kitchen, need a cup, bowl, spoon, fork, knife, pot, pan, spatula, ice chest...Moving on to the living room, they toss in the computer, the ipod, the gameboy, the guitar, the kindle...Moving to the bedroom they figure they need pajamas, pillow, cushy mattress (I need my sleep!) Soon they are staggering on the trail walking 500 feet, then stopping. Fortunately they brought a folding chair with cup holders!

Don't do that to yourself. Read some gear lists and some articles in the articles section to get a better sense of what is needed. And ignore me if you already knew all this.

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 11:11
I agree, it would be best to post a gearlist and go from there.

FYI, I'd bring the iPhone but hey, thats just me! Theres a million and one benefits of having that device on the trail, just be courteous to others (some people like to throw tantrums like pre-teen females when they hear someones bringing a cell phone on the trail :D)

mot13ley
04-12-2011, 11:25
I suggest posting a complete gear list here and then I'm sure you will have plenty of people here telling you everything you are doing wrong. But for starters don't forget to pack a Frisbee.

Here is my complete list.
Osprey Backpack
Raincover for backpack
Hennessy Hammock Tent
A blanket (No sleeping bag since I'll be starting in middle of May and ending in July)
Poncho
Stove
Fuel
MSR water filter
2 L. Camelback
First Aid Kit

Thanks for all of the help guys!

brian039
04-12-2011, 11:34
I always liked having a radio, some days on the trail are pretty boring(the section of trail you'll be doing is lacking on the excitement scale, unless you see bears which is likely if you end up in SNP) and a radio can help you get through it. There are several lightweight options. You'll definitely want to carry your phone. You might need to call for a shuttle, call home, and you'll want to know where your brother is.

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-12-2011, 12:40
Originally Posted by EastCoastFeastCoast

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BN0000...610425&sr=8-39
I have an eco-drive, and it hates cold and dark (ie: winter). So, if you're relying on an eco-drive for, well, accuracy, make sure that you wear it all the time to keep it warm (especially at night) and wear short-sleeves during the day (with direct sunlight whenever you can get it), otherwise you'll lose a couple of hours every night. YMMV

How old is your eco drive?

I have a broken wrist and I wear it all day (so comfortable that's part of the reason I chose it)

I guess cold could affect it (hasn't for me yet and some nights near freezing), but it can run in complete darkness for up to 6months (artificial light will also recharge it, but not as fast)

bigcranky
04-12-2011, 13:45
Hennessy Hammock Tent
A blanket (No sleeping bag since I'll be starting in middle of May and ending in July)

I have a hammock, and I would bring at least a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad for warmth under my torso. I would freeze solid with just a blanket in May and June, or any time temps got into the 60s or lower.

Buffalo Skipper
04-12-2011, 14:03
mot13ley, how far do you intend to get before meeting you brother? If he just left Springer, and you are leaving from PA in 2.5 weeks, you may meet several hundred miles from where you start. Seems to me like you may well have your hiker legs, and easily be able to maintain a similar pace on the way north again.

But beware, if you hike from PA south thru most of VA and back, you may be tempted to continue all the way to ME. Do what feels right to you. HYOH. :)

mot13ley
04-12-2011, 15:03
Buffalo Skipper I plan on getting as far as possible until I meet him. Hopefully my hiking legs will build and I'll be able to keep up with a good pace. If I didn't have to work so I have money for next semester I may very well doing a victory climb on Katahdin!

leaftye
04-12-2011, 15:10
I didn't catch the part about you hiking down to meet your brother. Okay, that means you can't share equipment at first. Hopefully you'll be able to do that when you meet up.

As far as you gear list, it's far from complete. It's lacking gear and full names. How about fully loading your pack like you think you'd have it for a week on the AT, except without food and water, and throw it on a scale? If you really want to try the complete gear list again, you should start a Google spreadsheet and put every piece of gear on it with its full name and its weight. Posting a gear list directly on the forum is hard for people to keep track of once you start making changes.

Raul Perez
04-12-2011, 15:48
Here is my complete list.
Osprey Backpack
Raincover for backpack
Hennessy Hammock Tent
Poncho
Stove
Fuel
MSR water filter
2 L. Camelback
First Aid Kit

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Hmmm

Rain gear?

Camp clothes?

Under insulation (you're gonna need it dont be silly)

Ya know what check out my gear series it may help you out a bit, here's chapter 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2-SKI_PJQs

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 16:42
cook pot? lid?
headlamp?
spare socks?
drysack/foodbag?
handbook? maps?

mot13ley
04-12-2011, 19:27
Yeah sorry guys I can't provide a full gear list right now. I'm in my college dorm while my gear is at home.

Skid.
04-13-2011, 14:56
I did a three day "shake down" hike in Pa, taking everything I thought I would need. When I got back, I laid everything out on the floor. If I didn't use it in the 3 days (except first aid and emergency stuff), I ditched it. Next, I looked at stuff I only used once or twice, and tossed most of that as well. Finally, I weighed each item that was left, and I began replacing as many as I could with lighter weight alternatives. I bought a light pack (saved 3 lbs); ditched my nalgene water bottles for Platypus (saved 14 oz); went with a lightweight sleeping bag (another two lbs); you get the idea.

tuswm
04-13-2011, 22:19
i didnt read the whole thing but why dont you meet up with him some where n just hike north. That way you wont hike the same thing twice