PDA

View Full Version : Just what everyone wanted- another gear list

toemaetoe
04-12-2011, 10:23
Hey all,
Reading everyone's gear lists and the feedback on them has been incredibly helpful for me. I've done a lot of hiking but not much backpacking, so I still have a lot to learn. I'll be going SOBO this year and doing several shakedown hikes before then to work out the remaining kinks. If anyone wants to take a look at my gear list and tell me what I'm missing or what I should get rid of/replace, I'd be grateful! The approximate weight in ounces is listed after the item or, when that's impractical, listed at the top of the category. The list does not include anything that doesn't go in/on the pack (except for my poles, which I'll mostly be carrying but will sometimes be attached to the pack).
Thanks,
Julie

pack and poles
Osprey Aura 50 pack (50)
Sea to Summit pack cover (4)
white trash bags for lining inside of pack
hiking poles (16)

clothing (32)
2 pairs socks
1 pair underwear
back-up merino thermal shirt
back-up merino thermal pants
rain jacket
hat, gloves
mosquito head net (will send home after ME/NH)

cooking system
alcohol cat-stove with foil windscreen (2)
fuel (16)
ti pot (4)
spork + pocketknife (4)
waterproof stuff sack + rope for bear bag (8)
waterproof matches, lighter, matches (1)

water
nalgene (2)
gatorade bottle (1)
chlorine dioxide drops (backup water treatment) (1)
steripen + 4 lithium AA batteries (10)
4 backup AA lithium batteries (2)
nylon sock for filtering sediment

sleep and shelter
0` LLBean down sleeping bag (I know this seems crazy, but I freeze at night) (48)
silk sleeping bag liner (5)
hammock + mosquito net + ties (mosquito net just for ME/NH) (16)
8x10 silnylon tarp (13)
50 ft. paracord for tarp, hammock (4)
2 carabiners for quick assembly (2)
thermarest closed cell foam sleeping pad (14)
polycryo ground sheet (2)
ti tent stakes (2)

first aid and hygiene (16)
bandages
needle
meds (ibuprofen, migraine meds, pepto, eczema cream, antibiotic cream)
Dr. Bronners
Diva Cup (if you don't know, don't ask)
wetwipes
moisturizer, chapstick
bandana
TP
duct tape
ziploc bag for packing out
tiny nail clippers
toothbrush + toothpaste + floss
tweezers
comb + backup hair elastics

personal (48)
AT guide + maps + compass
Phone + charger (non-negotiable compromise achieved with husband- I get to hike but have to send regular texts to assure him of my safety)
Kindle (laugh it up, but it's non-negotiable too- I will die without nightly infusions of the written word; uses same charger as phone)
camera + mem cards (see above for backup batteries)
headlamp
ipod + earbuds + charger (may very well get sent home)
paper + pen (journal/letters)
ziplock wallet w/cards, cash
earplugs
deck of cards (when you're shy like me, this is how you make friends)

Total weight: 323 oz. (about 20 lbs)

Stir Fry
04-12-2011, 10:43
Looks like a good list. You will get alot of responses, drop this, drop that, chang this or that. I would say you you have all your bases covered. 20lbs. is a good base weight. You will most likely drop a lb or two after you get hiking. Shake downs are good but no substitute for doing a thru. I learned more after my first 3 week hike then I did doing 10 weekends. I'll probably learn alot more when I do my thru.

Its taken me time to learn that I realy can do without this or that. I think thats what everyone has to go through. Someone can tell you that you dont need something, but like most people you have to find out on your own.

flemdawg1
04-12-2011, 10:57
puffy down or fleece jacket?

Instead of Li batteries for the steripen and headlamp, I use NiMH rechargabeles and recharge them whenever I'm in town.

mountain squid
04-12-2011, 11:10
Looks pretty good. Some observations:

not sure when you are starting, but a 0F bag might be too warm
shorts/hiking pants ?
insulation jacket for warmth ? - at least thru the whites
t-shirt ?
are 2 pr socks in addition to what is worn? - suggest 3 pr total - me, nh, vt are muddy (when not on rocks)
are back-up thermals a 2nd pr of thermals?
camp footwear
consider replacing nalgenes with hydration system with tube for drinking on the go
don't need alot of dr b's
does your knife have scissors? - if so, leave clippers home
hand sanitizer

Don't forget to make reservations at Katahdin Stream CG (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingThru.html) in Baxter State Park.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

flemdawg1
04-12-2011, 11:14
Squid, are you back home now or still hanging out around Springer? It was nice meeting you and thanks for the breakfast.

Lord Helment
04-12-2011, 11:17
ditto what stir fry said regarding advice from others......look fairly similar to my list....i am heading sobo with adult daughter in july......hope you have a great trip

Rocket Jones
04-12-2011, 11:21
The thing that jumped out at me was your fuel - 16oz? That's an awful lot to be carrying between resupplies.

toemaetoe
04-12-2011, 11:30
puffy down or fleece jacket?

Instead of Li batteries for the steripen and headlamp, I use NiMH rechargabeles and recharge them whenever I'm in town.

I was figuring the long underwear coupled with my hiking clothes and rain jacket would be enough backup insulation for while I am hiking (or in my long underwear and buried in my sleeping bag when not hiking)- therefore, negating the need for an extra layer...? I'm definitely planning on bringing an extra fleece for my spring-in-the-Northeast shakedowns; do you think I should bring one for the thru? I'll be starting in Maine in early July.

The Steripen is a bit of a crazy battery hog, so I was worried that rechargables wouldn't have enough juice if I forgot/didn't have time to charge them in town each time. Have you had any experience with using rechargables with the Steripen?

toemaetoe
04-12-2011, 11:36
Looks pretty good. Some observations:

not sure when you are starting, but a 0F bag might be too warm
shorts/hiking pants ?
insulation jacket for warmth ? - at least thru the whites
t-shirt ?
are 2 pr socks in addition to what is worn? - suggest 3 pr total - me, nh, vt are muddy (when not on rocks)
are back-up thermals a 2nd pr of thermals?
camp footwear
consider replacing nalgenes with hydration system with tube for drinking on the go
don't need alot of dr b's
does your knife have scissors? - if so, leave clippers home
hand sanitizer

Don't forget to make reservations at Katahdin Stream CG (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingThru.html) in Baxter State Park.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Thank you for all the feedback! I didn't list what I'm wearing (convertible hiking pants/shorts, socks, etc.) I heard that hydration tubes can get pretty funky, so I've never tried one. Do you like yours? My camp-footwear is a couple of bread bags and a clean pair of socks. :) (I forgot to list the bread bags.) You're right- I should definitely have one more pair of socks. My knife is just a knife, although my dad is trying to talk me into a Leatherman- which seems like serious overkill to me. And since you're the second person to advise me to bring another jacket through the Whites, I'll stick a fleece in there too. Thanks again!

flemdawg1
04-12-2011, 11:38
I was figuring the long underwear coupled with my hiking clothes and rain jacket would be enough backup insulation for while I am hiking (or in my long underwear and buried in my sleeping bag when not hiking)- therefore, negating the need for an extra layer...? I'm definitely planning on bringing an extra fleece for my spring-in-the-Northeast shakedowns; do you think I should bring one for the thru? I'll be starting in Maine in early July.

The Steripen is a bit of a crazy battery hog, so I was worried that rechargables wouldn't have enough juice if I forgot/didn't have time to charge them in town each time. Have you had any experience with using rechargables with the Steripen?

If you drink about 6l/day, a fully charged set of batts should last about 2 weeks. I just came back form a 10-day section in GA/NC and had no problems topping off the batts while in town doing laundry 5 days in.

toemaetoe
04-12-2011, 11:44
The thing that jumped out at me was your fuel - 16oz? That's an awful lot to be carrying between resupplies.

Yeah, you're definitely right. My alcy stove is the one piece of gear in which I have no faith, which is probably because I made it myself and haven't used it much. I'd eat cold the whole way if I didn't already know I would hate that, and I'd get a canister stove if I trusted them any more than my alcy. It's irrational, and I'm hoping that using it more will ease my mind. I'll probably end up using 2 ounces of my fuel, then carrying the other 14 the rest of the way to Georgia. :/

royalusa
04-12-2011, 11:47
My knife is just a knife, although my dad is trying to talk me into a Leatherman- which seems like serious overkill to me.

I agree that a Leatherman is overkill. IF you really want to buy another knife, I would also recommend a SIMPLE and LIGHT weight knife with scissors that can double as your nail clippers.

toemaetoe
04-12-2011, 11:48
If you drink about 6l/day, a fully charged set of batts should last about 2 weeks. I just came back form a 10-day section in GA/NC and had no problems topping off the batts while in town doing laundry 5 days in.

Good to hear- thanks again!

toemaetoe
04-12-2011, 11:51
ditto what stir fry said regarding advice from others......look fairly similar to my list....i am heading sobo with adult daughter in july......hope you have a great trip

Maybe I'll see you on the trail! Have a great trip!

Spokes
04-12-2011, 11:52
The Mountain Crossings Method is the only list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) you need to compare against. It's tried and true.

Trim it for summer and get even lighter.

Panzer1
04-12-2011, 12:04
have to have a separate nail clipper with good file no matter how many scissors you have.

I am in no way satisfied with the job a scissors does in cutting finger or toe nails.

Panzer

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 12:20
Hey all,
pack and poles
Osprey Aura 50 pack (50)
hiking poles (16)

clothing (32)
2 pairs socks - You could cut one pair out, for a total of two, including the ones you would be wearing
1 pair underwear
back-up merino thermal pants
rain jacket
hat, gloves

cooking system
fuel (16) - too much fuel, unless you don't plan on resupplying often
ti pot (4)
spork + pocketknife (4)
waterproof matches, lighter, matches (1) - don't need two sets of matches and a lighter. Leave the regular matches home

water
nalgene (2) - lose them for more gatorade bottles
gatorade bottle (1)
you could make your life easier and just bring a water pump. May even be able to shed an oz or two.

sleep and shelter
0` LLBean down sleeping bag (I know this seems crazy, but I freeze at night) (48)
silk sleeping bag liner (5)
8x10 silnylon tarp (13)
ti tent stakes (2)
why a hammock AND tarp? what about just one LW tent?

bandages
needle
Dr. Bronners
wetwipes
moisturizer, chapstick
bandana
TP
duct tape
tiny nail clippers
toothbrush + toothpaste + floss
tweezers

personal (48)
AT guide + maps + compass personally, I'd leave the compass home. Does your phone have a compass? I know there are alot out there that do.
Phone + charger (non-negotiable compromise achieved with husband- I get to hike but have to send regular texts to assure him of my safety)
Kindle (laugh it up, but it's non-negotiable too- I will die without nightly infusions of the written word; uses same charger as phone)
camera + mem cards (see above for backup batteries)
headlamp
ipod + earbuds + charger (may very well get sent home)
earplugs
I know this may sound crazy and it would certainly cost you but you could always get an iPhone or something similar, already has a compass on it, you can text your husband, built in iPod (no need for the extra weight or having to send it home), AND you can write your trail journal and letters on it. Also, you can get a battery charger for an iPhone so no need to carry a regular wall charger. Just a suggestion.

Total weight: 323 oz. (about 20 lbs)

These are just my personal opinions, take them as you wish. GL!

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 12:21
Oh yea, and you can replace your kindle w/ your iPhone as well!

mountain squid
04-12-2011, 12:33
Thank you for all the feedback! I didn't list what I'm wearing (convertible hiking pants/shorts, socks, etc.) I heard that hydration tubes can get pretty funky, so I've never tried one. Do you like yours? My camp-footwear is a couple of bread bags and a clean pair of socks. :) (I forgot to list the bread bags.) You're right- I should definitely have one more pair of socks. My knife is just a knife, although my dad is trying to talk me into a Leatherman- which seems like serious overkill to me. And since you're the second person to advise me to bring another jacket through the Whites, I'll stick a fleece in there too. Thanks again!You're welcome, toemaetoe.

Hydration tubes can get funky - if you put things other than just water into them. You have a gatorade bottle for mixes if you use them. I only put 'clean' water into my hydration bladder and have not had 'funky' problems. It works for me.

I'm not sure if you increased your sock total to 4 ?!? . . . 3 should be enough, 2 in pack and wearing 1. Personally, I have 2.5 pr. The half pr being ankle socks for camp wear, which always remain dry. (keep one pr of socks always dry).

Unless your feet are ok with walking on the hard ground, with rocks and twigs everywhere, the 'bread bag' solution might be uncomfortable.

Leatherman is overkill. A swiss Army Knife with scissors/tweezers (nail clipping/tick pulling) is what I carry.

Depending on how much you actually cook, 16oz fuel might not be enough through the hundred mile wilderness. It might take 10 days to get through. You might check out antigravitygear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/alcohol-stoves.html) for stove options. I made one myself and was also not sure of it, so I ended up buying one from TinMan, which is still working great.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hey flemdawg, you're welcome for the snacks. I'm back home now.

tat44too
04-12-2011, 12:34
I'd echo what mountain squid, Lord Helment, and Panzer1 said. Plus, Leatherman makes a tool called a "Micra", only two and a half inches long. Try your list out, what you don't need, just mail home. Be safe, and have fun!

Rocket Jones
04-12-2011, 14:01
Now is the time to get some experience with your stove and pot setup. Go outside and use your gear to make breakfast on weekend mornings. Practice cooking your noodles, rice, or whatever you plan to eat on the trail. Get comfortable with the alcohol stove, and you'll also learn how much you need to carry for a given number of meals.

Leanthree
04-12-2011, 18:15
Practice cooking your noodles, rice, or whatever you plan to eat on the trail.

For a week after I was enlightened to the alcohol stove movement, I would make something or other in it as part of my dinner. e.g. On a normal night I might have steak and rice, during test week I would have steak and minute rice cooked over alcohol stove in my Soloist. To anyone not on this message board, it looked totally crazy (especially when I got my fan out and tested the wind screen...) but it helped me get a feel for things.

Papa D
04-12-2011, 21:35
Here is my shot at it
pack and poles
Osprey Aura 50 pack (50)
Your pack cover is fine - take one as a warming device
hiking poles (16)

clothing (32)
2 pairs socks Ditch one pair
1 pair underwear
back-up merino thermal pants Don't need back up pants
rain jacket Might like rain skirt or pants
hat, gloves

cooking system
fuel (16) go for about 10 ounces
ti pot (4)
spork + pocketknife (4)
waterproof matches, lighter, matches (1) be brave - just do 2 lighters

water
nalgene (2) just do gatoraid bottles only
gatorade bottle (1) get a 1/2 size with liquor or ditch this one

sleep and shelter
silk sleeping bag liner (5) you'll just get tangled - 0deg bag is enough, right?
8x10 silnylon tarp (13) (tarp and hammock???
ti tent stakes (2)

bandages
needle
Dr. Bronners
wetwipes
moisturizer, chapstick
bandana
TP
duct tape
tiny nail clippers
toothbrush + toothpaste + floss Cut your toothbrush in half
tweezers unnecessary but hemostats are better

personal (48)
AT guide + maps + compass don't need map or compass for the AT - really.
Kindle (laugh it up, but it's non-negotiable too- I will die without nightly infusions of the written word; uses same charger as phone) SILLY
camera + mem cards (see above for backup batteries) USE I-PHONE
headlamp
ipod + earbuds + charger (may very well get sent home) USE I-PHONE or MINI
earplugs
You'll leave these in about the 3rd shelter

Chop
04-12-2011, 22:48
For hammocking, tarp and hammock are needed. Tarp is set up above hammock to stay dry.

Migrating Bird
04-13-2011, 18:08
Congratulations on your planning to do a thru hike SOBO! When you get down my way, if I can help I will do what I can.

I hammocked SOBO last year as far south as Franconia Notch, my daughter and her fiance thru SOBO'd in '09.

Here is a quick glance at your list.

Delete 50' of paracord
Delete Sleeping Pad - no need un-less you plan on staying in shelters - even in the huts in the whites you could borrow a pad or do without - same with ground cloth.
I carried 3 pairs of socks total, 2 for hiking and 1 pair ALWAYS clean & dry for sleeping or last day before washing.
If you have not tried Body Glide, prevents blisters and chaffing get the tube not the roll on at Dick's.
Don't stay in shelters but near them if you feel more comfortable. Ditch the earplugs, you will want to listen to night sounds, it's fun
Bring only maps needed for the hundred, and cut the pages for the next section out of the thru hikers' handbook, has all phone numbers and services available.
Have hubby meet you in Monson to take back home ANYTHING you did not use in the 100- forget the what if this and that!
Carry the tiny deck of cards, 1" x 2" size
Bring rain pants or chaps
Hike to keep warm, tee shirt & shorts should be enough, warm layer for rest stops and bed ware.
Keep one set clean for sleeping.
Instead of sleeping bag, why not top quilt & under quilt, the 0 degree bag will be next to nothing when insulation is compressed under you in a hammock and you will suffer CBS!
Add a pair of low soft flex gaiters from OR or REI, they will keep your feet clean and debris out of your shoes. These are a must have.
16 oz fuel fine for the first leg thru the 100, then less when you get to NH
Ditch the steri pen and batteries, it is an expensive technical gaget that will fail!
Sorry for the rambling but I gotta go, I'll try to come back later.

toemaetoe
04-14-2011, 09:12
Unless your feet are ok with walking on the hard ground, with rocks and twigs everywhere, the 'bread bag' solution might be uncomfortable.

(The bread bags are just a barrier between my clean camp socks and wet/filthy boots- they're not shoes on their own. Sorry that was so confusing. Thank you again for all the feedback!)

toemaetoe
05-06-2011, 10:51
After my shakedown, I've made a few changes to my list:
1. Ditch the Kindle. The slightest chill drains the battery. Bring a book instead.
2. Add campshoes- crocs seem like the best option.
3. Ditch the Steripen in favor of Aquamira.
4. Add an ACE bandage.
5. Ditch the cards.
6. Exchange the cat stove for a Brasslite.

And as a general rule of thumb, if there are two options -one that requires a battery and one that doesn't- always choose the one that doesn't require a battery, even if it's slightly heavier. Also, getting water in and out of my pack pockets sucks, so I'm going to look into a hydration bladder.

Thanks, all, for the wonderful advice. As you can see, I've taken most of it. :)