PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace Model-T (#2)

hopalong2
04-12-2011, 11:13
My dad, Tom Buckley, aka Model-T, passed away early morning yesterday (4am 4/11/11) 235 miles into his NOBO thru hike. He died in his sleep in his tent at Davenport Gap. He was 70 years young. This was his first thru hike.
My dad loved to hike but the number one thing he spoke of about his journey on the AT was the camaraderie. I want to thank you all that had the chance to share your kindness and stories with him on the trail. Hiking AT was a lifelong dream of his and I know he was having the time of his life.
He is survived by his loving wife Mary Ann (Silver City, NM), daughters Susan(Austin, Tx), Ellie (San Mateo, CA), Kay (San Antonio Tx), Bonnie (Austin, Tx) and brother David (Tampa Bay, FL).
Keep on trekking Dad.

Rocket Jones
04-12-2011, 11:23
My condolences to you and the entire family.

kanga
04-12-2011, 11:27
prayers for comfort for your family. i know it's hard. i'm glad he was where he wanted to be when he passed.

royalusa
04-12-2011, 11:31
So very sad. I'm sorry for your loss. He went the way many of us hikers would like to go.

Spiffy
04-12-2011, 11:36
I'm sorry for your loss. May you and your family find peace and comfort in this difficult time.

Creek Dancer
04-12-2011, 11:37
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Rockhound
04-12-2011, 11:37
Sorry for your loss. I hope being able to die doing what he loved offers some consolation. Seems to be a rough year. This is the 3rd death I'm aware of on the AT since Feb.

Buffalo Skipper
04-12-2011, 11:39
My family's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Red Wolf
04-12-2011, 11:39
Sincere condolences to you and your family.
He was doing what he enjoyed. My old friend, Nimblewill Nomad wrote in one of his poems:

"I'll roam these hills and mountain sides, until that bye and bye,
That perfect day, when packs take wing,
And the treadway climbs the sky" !

All us hikers can ask for not another better passing.

Rest Eternal grant unto him Good Lord,
and may Light Perpetual shine upon him.

Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

Mr. Carter
04-12-2011, 11:41
Sorry to hear about your loss, my regards to the family. I am assuming it was natural causes?

royalusa
04-12-2011, 12:06
Loved his TJ... (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=335459)

His humor: "Plan to UPS my gear to Amicalola in advance, then perhaps fly naked to ATL to avoid the TSA patdown. (I'm still thinking that one through a bit, however.) "

His honesty and great way with words: "I stand, however, to set a new standard for spontaneity if I don't wrap up the AT prep phase... I am amazed but shamed by the meticulous planning of many of my prospective trailmates -- down to the measured and recorded daily intake of sodium chloride. Unfortunately my left hemisphere is not quite that facile, but I WILL be ready!"

As your daughter says, Model T, keep on trekking!

Tipi Walter
04-12-2011, 12:17
I am so sorry to hear of his passing.

paistes5
04-12-2011, 12:18
Very sorry for your loss.

RETCW4
04-12-2011, 12:18
Sorry to here about your loss. It sounded like he was doing what he loved.

Tenderheart
04-12-2011, 12:23
I am truly sorry. My pa-in-law dropped dead looking for his bull in the pasture. He was doing what he loved most, as was Model-T.

litefoot 2000

CrumbSnatcher
04-12-2011, 12:38
God speed Model-T
i also lost my mother last night(04-11-11), i hope she no longer feels the pain and i hope she's with my dad. i love you mom

tiptoe
04-12-2011, 12:41
I, too, want to offer my condolences to you and your family.

nate481
04-12-2011, 12:42
My deepest condolences to you and all of Model T's friends and family. I had the pleasure to meet and stay in some of the same shelters with him through the Smokies. He truly loved being on the trail.

I stayed in the shelter with him on the night of his passing. In the morning everyone had left the shelter except for me and 2 other people. We were surprised Model-T was still in bed because he was hiking 15 + mile days in the Smokies. We decided to try to wake him when we discovered he had passed away. He went peacefully in his sleep.
The night before he was joking around and having a good time. So it came as quite a shock to us.

While I don't have any personally, some people have pictures of Model-T enjoying the trail. If you would like copies of any of these you could email me your address or email at [email protected] and I could pass it along.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

RITBlake
04-12-2011, 12:45
The last line of his last journal entry is a fitting one: "Doing great...rested, clean, fed, watered and ready to hike!"

Many of us would consider him lucky to go in the way he did. RIP.

royalusa
04-12-2011, 13:01
And a very nice comment about your Dad on Snake Hip's Journal dated 4/11/11 (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11900 ):

"Thanks to Doodah Man, Model T, Art, Elizabeth, Lois, and everyone else for their support and kind thoughts. .... Model T, we look forward to seeing you again soon but your lively step is hard to match."

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 14:12
Peacefully in his sleep. On a thru-hike. At 70.

If not inconsiderate to his family, I'd just like to say ... awesome.

RIP, Model T, and condolences to his loving family. He sounds like a great guy with a grand sense of humor and spirit.

Rain Man

inspectorgene
04-12-2011, 16:08
WOW!

I know you guys are greiving, but what a peaceful and noble way to pass on into the next life.

I hope I am as lucky when my time comes.

hikingshoes
04-12-2011, 16:16
Prayers for comfort for your family.HS

tjforrester
04-12-2011, 16:21
This is very sad. I'm so sorry for your loss.

JAK
04-12-2011, 16:23
My dad, Tom Buckley, aka Model-T, passed away early morning yesterday (4am 4/11/11) 235 miles into his NOBO thru hike. He died in his sleep in his tent at Davenport Gap. He was 70 years young. This was his first thru hike.
My dad loved to hike but the number one thing he spoke of about his journey on the AT was the camaraderie. I want to thank you all that had the chance to share your kindness and stories with him on the trail. Hiking AT was a lifelong dream of his and I know he was having the time of his life.
He is survived by his loving wife Mary Ann (Silver City, NM), daughters Susan(Austin, Tx), Ellie (San Mateo, CA), Kay (San Antonio Tx), Bonnie (Austin, Tx) and brother David (Tampa Bay, FL).
Keep on trekking Dad.
Very sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us all know, and your thoughtful words. I will get out an hike this weekend with my daughter, and think of him.

gumball
04-12-2011, 16:25
I'm so very sorry.

JAK
04-12-2011, 16:26
God speed Model-T
i also lost my mother last night(04-11-11), i hope she no longer feels the pain and i hope she's with my dad. i love you mom
We will be thinking of you and yours also.

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 16:27
condolences

Manwich
04-12-2011, 16:36
Lucky Guy.

My condolences to his survivors.

hopalong2
04-12-2011, 16:47
Thank you for all the kind works and thoughts. It helps so much knowing he was surrounded by such wonderful people and beautiful scenery.

If any of you have pictures of Model-T on the trail, I’d love it if you could please email them to me at my profile email address.

CrumbSnatcher, I’m so sorry about the loss of your mother. I’m thinking of you.

I wish all of you on the Trail a joyous and successful hike.

Phreak
04-12-2011, 17:18
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. But I can't imagine a better way to go than being on the trail.

Lilred
04-12-2011, 17:37
I am so sorry for your loss.

N9ZSY
04-12-2011, 18:02
We are sorry for your loss...

jerseydave
04-12-2011, 18:07
Too many people are forced to suffer in pain while withering away at the ends of their lives.

It sounds like your Dad was in some way fortunate to not have to pass in that manner, but instead enjoying life to its conclusion.

I'm sorry for your loss

Dave

Jim Adams
04-12-2011, 18:15
prayers are with you and Model T.

geek

Chubbs4U
04-12-2011, 18:17
Thoughts and prayers...

Rainman said it right
"Peacefully in his sleep. On a thru-hike. At 70.

If not inconsiderate to his family, I'd just like to say ... awesome."

Hoop
04-12-2011, 18:38
Solon told Croesus you have to wait until a man's life is over before you can tell if he attained happiness - hopalong2, it sounds like your Dad found it. Condolences.

TFOS
04-12-2011, 19:04
I'm so sorry for your loss.

double d
04-12-2011, 19:50
I'm sorry for your loss, your dad is very special to you and your family. Keep him close to your thoughts.

Daughter #2
04-12-2011, 19:52
Hey Mr. Model T, my pack is packed as light as I could
And finally got the all the straps down pretty good.
Seams are sealed, boots broke in,
I am ready to meet you out there in Hot Springs.

But have you gone too far, too fast, too soon?
We are all left so far behind it seems.

I am happy for you--this hiker midnight on the trail,
But back in town we'll miss you more than we could ever tell.

Have you gone too far, too fast, too soon?

--with a heavy heart, Daughter #2

--

ScrapIron
04-12-2011, 19:52
Very sorry to hear this news. My condolences.

mweinstone
04-12-2011, 20:08
hes with the class now. 2011 will be his home till maine. then he can go to heaven. its a good class. made better by model-t.

-SEEKER-
04-12-2011, 20:15
So very sorry for your loss. May peace find it's way to your heart(s).

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 20:16
Very sorry for your loss. Your father seemed like a great individual with alot of character. My prayers go out to you and your family.

johnnybgood
04-12-2011, 20:23
Sorry for the sudden loss of your father , the lord must of needed a thru hiker in heaven.
May thoughts and prayers be with you.

doritotex
04-12-2011, 20:27
Hey Mr. Model T, my pack is packed as light as I could
And finally got the all the straps down pretty good.
Seams are sealed, boots broke in,
I am ready to meet you out there in Hot Springs.

But have you gone too far, too fast, too soon?

I am happy for you--this hiker midnight on the trail,
But back in town we'll miss you more than we could ever tell.

Have you gone too far, too fast, too soon?

--with a heavy heart, Daughter #2

--
My thoughts are with the entire Buckley family. I was so looking forward to meeting your dad and hiking along with him and you for a few days. From his trail journals he seemed like a man full of life, so many people his age are content to be sitting on the couch, he lived life to the fullest until the final days. I will be hiking out of Hot Springs this weekend thinking of him. I am so sorry for your loss.

Bonjour
04-12-2011, 21:08
My condolences to you and your family. During difficult times this poem always gives me comfort.
The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

Hikerhead
04-12-2011, 21:22
That's too bad. He was really a nice guy that I spoke to whenever I saw him at the Gatherings or Trail Days. I bought his last book. My best to you and your family.

Skidsteer
04-12-2011, 21:31
Rest in Peace Model-T.

Blissful
04-12-2011, 21:32
I am so sorry.

Hikerhead
04-12-2011, 21:46
I just found out that I was mistaken by which Model-T has passed on. It wasn't the one I knew but my deepest sympathy still goes out to you. It's never a good thing when it happens even though he was out there doing something he enjoyed. Peace goes out to you and your family.

Grits
04-12-2011, 21:58
Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the mountains
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore. "Model T and all the Buckley Family"

Woods
04-12-2011, 22:03
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Ron Haven
04-12-2011, 22:09
Keep on trekking Dad.

So Sorry, I had a good talk with him as he stayed at Budget Inn of Franklin.

Turtle2
04-12-2011, 22:20
My thoughts are with you.

BigHodag
04-12-2011, 22:30
Wow...bummer. I've been reading Model-T's TrailJournal long before he hit the trail. Was anticipating some great stories as I really enjoyed his writing. Being older, he was an inspiration to this young 50-something.

Eternal rest grant unto him Lord and may perpetual light shine upon him. Amen.

wornoutboots
04-12-2011, 22:43
R.I.P. Modle T Prayers Out to all the Loved Ones!!

Trailweaver
04-13-2011, 00:51
Obviously this is a man who was loved by many people. The hiking community and his family and friends have lost someone who was great. We are all lessened by a loss such as this. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

JimSproul
04-13-2011, 11:23
I am sorry for your loss.

It would be hard to explain to my daughters but if I have a choice, that is how I'll go.

He will walk with all of us for a while to come.

I hope comfort comes to you soon with more smiles each time you think of him.

Ewker
04-13-2011, 13:16
RIP Model-T, prayers go out to his family and friends

middle to middle
04-13-2011, 17:10
I will pray for his soul and pray that I go that way.

t

Roots
04-13-2011, 17:55
SO sorry for your loss. What an amazing man he must have been to be out and hiking the trail he loved at such a 'young' age. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Red Hat
04-13-2011, 18:25
I think I met him this year in GA. I remember commenting on his name, as I know the other "Model T". Sorry to hear of his passing.

HeartWalker
04-14-2011, 09:37
My thoughts and prayers are with your family. He was amazing to be thru hiking at 70!

roy_hiking
04-14-2011, 15:57
I hiked with and stayed at a few shelters with Model-T, I even tryed calling him Model-T Jr., but it did not stick. I know he was enjoying the trail and loved hiking it. He was also looking forward to hiking and seeing a few of his children.

God, and my children know that I love the AT as did your Dad and would have no problem going to be with God right from the trail!

You Dad touched my life with only the limited time we knew each other.

God be with you and your Family!

Bayou

SawnieRobertson
04-14-2011, 17:19
Model Ts were special. It is fitting that he chose that trail name. You are fortunate, daughters, to have had such a man for your father. He was charming and witty and went the way each of us would prefer to go. Ooogah, ooogah, Model T!--Kinnickinic

WILLIAM HAYES
04-14-2011, 20:35
There is a road
no simple highway
between the dawn
and the dark of night
and if you go
no one may follow
that path is for
your steps alone

I have often thought of this lyric from a Grateful Dead song when one of my friends passes- I think it would be descriptive of Model T
passing
my condolences

Hillbilly

owl
04-15-2011, 08:20
He was the man He was respected and loved by many of the trail community my deepest sympathy for your loss, his memories in my mind will always be joyful.

Boomer1ny
04-15-2011, 17:12
My condolences to you and your family. I stayed the night at the Cold Spring shelter with your father. It was cold and very rainy. Everyone went to bed early, and I'm now sorry that I didn't get more of a chance to talk with him. He will be in my thoughts and prayers.

KAW
04-15-2011, 20:01
I was on the AT and was at Silers Bald Shelter with your dad on Wed April 6 . He stopped and ate Lunch and didnt speak allot. The weather had been tough and the trail Muddy! He checked his maps and moved on! On Friday April 8 My son and Checked into the Grand Prix in Gatlinburg. I spoke with Model T and shook his hand, he was headed up town last I saw him. I am proud to have met him! My deepest sympathy to you and your familly

Tinker
04-15-2011, 23:30
Safe in the Harbour - Eric Bogle.
I recently heard this song at a men's meeting for my church. It categorizes three types of men: Sailors, dreamers, and schemers. I believe Model T was at the helm of his own ship when it entered the still waters of the safe harbour.

http://www.ildb.info/Eric+Bogle-Safe+In+the+Harbour,lid169249-a5261.html

TomaHawk2011
04-19-2011, 11:50
I was very sad to learn of Model T's Passing yesterday while on the trail. He and I hiked together from Carter Gap to the NOC. If there is anything i can do while out here on the trail please do not hesitate to let me know

FORTIS
04-24-2011, 13:17
My most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Model-T. I feel very fortunate for the time I got to spend with him on the trail, in and around shelters as well as in towns. He was positive, upbeat and always seemed to wear a smile. We shared many Stories over meals at NOC as well as Fontana Lodge. I will truly miss Model-T.

I have many photos of Model-T enjoying his hike on the AT. If any family members would like a copy please let me know.

Brett (Fortis M80)

Firefighter503
04-25-2011, 19:15
Sorry for your loss. I hope being able to die doing what he loved offers some consolation. Seems to be a rough year. This is the 3rd death I'm aware of on the AT since Feb.

My condolences. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him. He was just a couple of days behind me it seems. Not to thread jack, but Rockhound, care to share who the others were? PM is fine or a new thread.