PDA

View Full Version : Section: Burkes Garden to Pearisburg, VA

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 13:37
My brothers and I are planning our 3rd annual section hike for August and I'd like some advice on this section.

We prefer to tent instead of shelters. Since we are going in August we also prefer to stay at higher elevations overnight for the breeze and to avoid the muggy rhododendrons full of mosquitoes.

We are interested in points of interest, blue blazes to waterfalls or overlooks, best places for campsites and must see/do things along the trail.

Are the falls of Dismal Creek on the trail or off it?

If there is any info you can share that you prefer not to post in the thread please send me a private message. I can keep a secret.

Thanks!

Kerosene
04-12-2011, 13:56
Are the falls of Dismal Creek on the trail or off it?Perhaps a tenth of a mile off the AT, accessed by a blue-blaze and a few unmarked trails.

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 14:00
The Falls are off of the AT by about two-tenths of a mile. On the AT, there is a sign with a blue blazed trail down to the Falls and creek. In August, there may not be much water going over the falls.

At Burke's Garden, based on my reading, there is a very fine campsite about half-way along, down off the trail a ways. Can't remember the name of it just now. But it's up high, has a great view, and I've read nice things about it. We did not stop there, so missed the experience.

Woods Hole Hostel is a "must see" place in my book. And just south of it and also north of it, are some very, very fine overlooks.

Rain:sunMan

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 14:40
Thanks for the info so far.

We will be starting at Va 623 so we should be getting 15-20 miles North of there before we stop. Looks like the vicenity of Helveys Mill Shelter for the first night and somewhere between Dismal Falls and Wapiti Shelter the second night.

Sounds like Dismal Falls is a must see for this stretch, any others?

This stretch seems like it could be a fast pace stretch at least up to Wapiti. Is that correct?

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 14:53
Rain Man,

I found your post on this section here:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65551

Where is Wood's Hole?

peakbagger
04-12-2011, 15:09
When I northbound sectioned this section along Burkes Garden several years ago there were lots of comments in the trail register at the shelter just north of Burke's Garden complaining about the condition of the trail and the maintenance. Its been several years but it was the section from the nice stone hut just south of Burkes to the next shelter. It didnt bother me a bit as I hike in the whites and the mahoosucs frequently, but the major complaint was that the trail crossed a lot of tilted rock slabs which require a bit more care than most of the trail south of there. I suspect that the reason for the complaints is that this was the first major section of the trail beyond limited sections on Mt Rogers where the trails didnt resemble a sidewalk. Barring some pretty major blasting and trail relos, I expect it still is that way. Once we cleared this section, the trail to Pearisburg went back to a well graded woods walk with long sections of wide sidehill.

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 15:30
peakbagger,

We've already done half of the section you are talking about and yes, there are some huge rocks you have to walk on but nothing worth complaining about.

JEBjr
04-12-2011, 18:18
That time of year water might be hard to come by on the ridge from Helvey's Mill to past Jenny's Knob.

At Burke's Garden, based on my reading, there is a very fine campsite about half-way along, down off the trail a ways. Can't remember the name of it just now. Davis Farm Campsite. But if you are starting at 623, that will be only a mile into your hike, but likely the only good view of Burke's Garden.

Hitting Trent's Store and then hiking up the mile or so to Dismal Falls on a hot summer day is a must. Wood's Hole is about 10 miles up the trail. And a wonderful place to spend an evening and what would probably be the last night out of your trip because it's only 10 miles or so into Pburg.

Beautiful area to hike. Enjoy.

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 18:48
I'm curious about the terrain. Is 18-20 miles a day realistic for this section? If so I need to plan for the possibility that we'll end beyond Pearisburg because we hake as far as we can in 4 days.

I see a problem in that we could end up with only 3-5 miles on the last day at that rate.

Is hiking from Pearis Mtn. to Va 635 near Pine Swamp Branch Shelter in one day feasible?

earlyriser26
04-12-2011, 20:02
I'm curious about the terrain. Is 18-20 miles a day realistic for this section? If so I need to plan for the possibility that we'll end beyond Pearisburg because we hake as far as we can in 4 days.

I see a problem in that we could end up with only 3-5 miles on the last day at that rate.

Is hiking from Pearis Mtn. to Va 635 near Pine Swamp Branch Shelter in one day feasible?
If you are in good shape. That is about a 24 mile hike and you have that nice, about 1,800 ft climb out of Pearisburg. Two years ago, I went from 635 to Pearisburg, but that was under 20. Not too bad.

ratfaceraines
04-12-2011, 20:27
i would like to take this time to offer my shuttle services(if the need arises)..i live in pearisburg and am familiar with the section you plan to hike. if i can be of any help contact don, 540-921-7433(RIDE)

TexasEd
04-13-2011, 11:07
Thanks, Don. I have a brother that lives in Radford and I think he is arranging the ride. I'm just trying to figure out a reasonable route and backup plans if we travel faster or slower than planned.

Ed

ratfaceraines
04-13-2011, 14:28
i'm there---if you need me

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 21:55
Rain Man,

I found your post on this section here:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65551

Where is Wood's Hole?

Woods Hole Hostel (http://www.woodsholehostel.com/)

Sugar Run Gap Road VA Rt. 663

Check out post #9. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1978)

Hope this helps. GREAT place.

Rain:sunMan