PDA

View Full Version : grayson highlands loop

Doc Mike
04-12-2011, 14:32
Can anybody give me an idea for a loop to include grayson highlands. either a 3 day 2 night trip or 4 day 3 night trip

Thanks in advance
Doc Mike

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 15:13
Not a loop but I did Troutville to Damascus in 2009 and it was 50 miles done in an easy 3.5 days/3 nights.

Here is my original thread asking for advice:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52603

TexasEd
04-12-2011, 15:14
err, should be Troutdale.

bigcranky
04-12-2011, 15:49
There are several pretty obvious loops on the map, using the AT, the Mt Rogers Trail, the Pine Mountain Trail, and/or the Iron Mountain Trail in various combinations. Anywhere from 12 miles to 25 or 30.

hikersc1
04-12-2011, 16:31
I go there every 2 years with my brothers.We have done all the loops you could imagine and they are all great. You can get a map at the gate for the Mt Rogers High country. Best place we've ever been. Good safe parking for a small fee.

booney_1
04-12-2011, 17:27
Here's a 3 day 2 night trip:

From Mt.Rogers State Park parking lot-take one of the access trails (there are two now) to the AT. If you head north you'll come to the Wise Shelter. There is a nice meadow just past it as well as good stream. Good place for 1st night. (it's not very far, but sometimes you spend half the day traveling on the first day before you hit the trail. Next day continue north on to Scales (I would not camp here but there is water)
Now get on the pine mountain trail and hike to Rhododendron Gap. Camp there -feed the ponies, enjoy the view. (camping is best in big meadow just past the gap-there is a spring there also). Next day get on AT and head north to Massie Gap, where side trail takes you back to parking lot.

You can make this loop longer by heading to Old Orchard Shelter from Scales and continuing on a couple of other trails (Lewis fork-Mr. Rogers Trail) back to Rhododendroon Gap. It all depends on how far you want to hike and how much time you have.

Dress warm, this time of year it can still get quite cold up there.

have fun!!

schnikel
04-12-2011, 17:32
There are probally a dozen loop options for you to do in that time frame and miles. I would buy the Trails illustrated map and look at all the options and come up with one you like.
My wife and I just got back from a loop headed north on the AT to the Old Orchard Shelter. Then down through the little wilson wilderness to the edge of the state park. We then took the Virginia highlands horse trail to Elk Garden to catch the AT again and back to the car. Amazing views and an awesome time!
This was a 3 night 4 day trip around 38 miles.
Schnikel

Hikerhead
04-12-2011, 17:38
There are probally a dozen loop options for you to do in that time frame and miles. I would buy the Trails illustrated map and look at all the options and come up with one you like.
My wife and I just got back from a loop headed north on the AT to the Old Orchard Shelter. Then down through the little wilson wilderness to the edge of the state park. We then took the Virginia highlands horse trail to Elk Garden to catch the AT again and back to the car. Amazing views and an awesome time!
This was a 3 night 4 day trip around 38 miles.
Schnikel

Yes, that's the map to get. Another trail not menioned is the Three Ridge trail, I know that's proablably not the right name but it runs along the eastern edge of the park and drops down to Scales.

Rocket Jones
04-12-2011, 19:10
I would buy the Trails illustrated map and look at all the options and come up with one you like.

Which map number was this? It's not readily apparent from their website.

acox28
04-12-2011, 20:33
Map Number 786 covers Mount Rogers NRA and includes the Grayson Highlands.

Rocket Jones
04-13-2011, 06:13
Map Number 786 covers Mount Rogers NRA and includes the Grayson Highlands.
Thanks! :sun

sherrill
04-13-2011, 07:57
-feed the ponies, enjoy the view.

Please don't feed the ponies. Please enjoy the view though.

Doc Mike
04-13-2011, 08:07
Thanks so much I just ordered the map.
btw amazon has it with free shipping if you have amazon prime.

Hope to see some of you on the trail. I'm thinking of hiking there the last weekend of the month.

Doc Mike

Arius
04-13-2011, 10:14
On my attempt 2006 thru-hike: Canon 10D - #4 photo gear. Lost #25 of my body weight til reached NH. Not bad - minus #21. Isn't very convenient way to take the pictures on the long hike. But in some cases it was worth of it. I had no choice, because I was no willing to spend more money for additional small camera in my household :). Now I'm carrying Canon S95. And I'm much happier hiker :). Actually... just try. With best wishes.

Arius
04-13-2011, 10:16
Oops......

wokedown
04-29-2011, 13:31
re: north carolina mountain real estate (http://www.fallcreekland.com/)

Posted by earnharster - any local guys from deep gap n.c.

I live in Alexis and hope to make the next event