PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with DSLR...

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 16:41
I have a Canon T1i and I would LOVE to start bringing it out with me when I hike. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to carry it. I'm looking for some suggestion on how to carry without strapping it to my neck and bouncing all over the place while I'm hiking. Keeping it in the bag is an option as I will not stop to take a picture (unless its something great). Looking to make it easily accessible without being on my neck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, please do not comment on carrying a smaller point/shoot camera. If I wanted to bring my point and shoot I would, and yes I am aware that my DSLR is 'HEAVY', please no weight comments :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

pdcollins6092
04-12-2011, 17:02
I have the same camera that I am going to be taking with me and I plan on getting one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowepro-Outback-100-DSLR-Waist-Belt-Pack-Camera-Case-/300546122086?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item45f9f1e166

Spokes
04-12-2011, 17:06
Hire a sherpa.

canoehead
04-12-2011, 17:08
Binocular strap would work maybe some modifications depending on the strap you buy
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HN5GS0/ref=asc_df_B001HN5GS01496959?smid=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y&tag=nextagusmp418674-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001HN5GS0

Buffalo Skipper
04-12-2011, 17:14
Hire a sherpa.

Have you priced airline tickets to get a sherpa from Nepal to the US? Not worth the trouble, if you ask me. ;)

The Old Boot
04-12-2011, 17:25
Here's a link to a MYOG that might give you some ideas.

http://www.mylifeoutdoors.com/2011/01/myog-camera-sternum-strap-clip-with.html

I saw a professional sternum strap attachment for a dslr camera somewhere and now I can't find where I saw it....sigh, thought I had it bookmarked because I'm going to want one soon than later!

The other thing that is available is a harness like strap that stops the camera from all the swaying around - you carry the camera on it's usual neckstrap but it also has a fastener strap that goes around the chest and has quick releases on it...OpTech has one.

ChinMusic
04-12-2011, 17:47
Here's a link to a MYOG that might give you some ideas.

http://www.mylifeoutdoors.com/2011/01/myog-camera-sternum-strap-clip-with.html

I saw a professional sternum strap attachment for a dslr camera somewhere and now I can't find where I saw it....sigh, thought I had it bookmarked because I'm going to want one soon than later!

The other thing that is available is a harness like strap that stops the camera from all the swaying around - you carry the camera on it's usual neckstrap but it also has a fastener strap that goes around the chest and has quick releases on it...OpTech has one.

That link is sweet. I gotta make one to see if it works without beating you up. I don't care about the lack of weather protection. In bad weather the camera goes in the pack anyway.

I've tried all kinds of products and they all have their problems.

The Old Boot
04-12-2011, 17:50
Ha knew if I searched hard enough I'd find what I'd seen before..this time it's being bookmarked..:D

Take a look at these puppies!!

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

The Old Boot
04-12-2011, 18:01
That link is sweet. I gotta make one to see if it works without beating you up. I don't care about the lack of weather protection. In bad weather the camera goes in the pack anyway.

I've tried all kinds of products and they all have their problems.

OpTech makes a sweet rain jacket for DSLR's...comes in 2 packs.

It's on my shopping list too!!

Spokes
04-12-2011, 18:02
Have you priced airline tickets to get a sherpa from Nepal to the US? Not worth the trouble, if you ask me. ;)

You could always ask Lone Wolf then.

Painted Turtle
04-12-2011, 18:31
Ok here is another option. I shot RAW so I have always carried a camera that does. I use the G9 and the T2i. Camera is always at the ready. Only problem I found with it was the straps. I have a friend that does sewing so she made them a little longer and that made it easier to adjust.

http://www.backcountrysolutions.com/

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 18:41
Thanks for the links! The single camera 'Carry-Lite' system looks really nice. I emailed them to get more specifics on weight, etc. When they get back to me I'll post with some details. I looks great, now lets just see how much that things going to weigh when I have to put it in my bag :rolleyes:

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 19:02
Theoldboot & painted turtle, both of them suggestions are great as well.

backcountrysolutions seems to have the 'lightest' system, I am going to have to check out that OpTech as well considering I already have a OpTech neck strap, mind as well put em together!

Shutterbug
04-12-2011, 19:03
I have a Canon T1i and I would LOVE to start bringing it out with me when I hike. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to carry it. I'm looking for some suggestion on how to carry without strapping it to my neck and bouncing all over the place while I'm hiking. Keeping it in the bag is an option as I will not stop to take a picture (unless its something great). Looking to make it easily accessible without being on my neck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, please do not comment on carrying a smaller point/shoot camera. If I wanted to bring my point and shoot I would, and yes I am aware that my DSLR is 'HEAVY', please no weight comments :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

I have learned to hike with my Nikon D300 without having it "bouncing all over the place." I stabilize the camera with one hand and use a single hiking pole in the other.

I prefer using two poles, but consider having my camera readily available important enough to compromise.
http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/DisplayStyle/745686?source=gpla&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-745686&mr:trackingCode=86AB15C2-B849-E011-AFD7-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA

My hiking pole converts to a monopod. Here is a link:

88BlueGT
04-12-2011, 19:13
The trekking pole for tripod is a cool idea, don't think I would get much use of it though. Thanks for the suggestion Shutterbug.

Garlic Fingers
04-12-2011, 19:47
I have been using these camera straps for few years

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/camera-support-straps-v2.aspx

Very easy to use and lightweight. You can ether attach it directly to the camera or a weatherproof bag.

I use http://products.lowepro.com/product/Apex-120-AW,1902,20.htm which has its own rain cover built in so no need to fear bad weather!

Painted Turtle
04-12-2011, 20:03
I have been using these camera straps for few years

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/camera-support-straps-v2.aspx

Very easy to use and lightweight. You can ether attach it directly to the camera or a weatherproof bag.

I use http://products.lowepro.com/product/Apex-120-AW,1902,20.htm which has its own rain cover built in so no need to fear bad weather!

Looks interesting and for only $15.00 I am tempted to try it. But first one question The add says, "Connects the Think Tank Camera Strap to any Think Tank backpack or harness. Does not say any Backpack only the "Think Tank one. What backpack are you using it with and how well does it work?

Garlic Fingers
04-12-2011, 20:10
Just a marketing ploy.

I use it on my osprey talon 44 and aether 70. Both fit like a glove, it appears to be the standard size for a backpack strap (measured to be a inch wide).

It works quite there is only bounce if my chest is leaning very forward. If my back is straight it doesn't bounce.

bigcranky
04-12-2011, 20:15
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-20-v2.aspx

Something like this should work pretty well, and you can get straps to attach it to your backpack harness.

Painted Turtle
04-12-2011, 21:02
Just a marketing ploy.

I use it on my osprey talon 44 and aether 70. Both fit like a glove, it appears to be the standard size for a backpack strap (measured to be a inch wide).

It works quite there is only bounce if my chest is leaning very forward. If my back is straight it doesn't bounce.

Thanks. I am happy with the one I am using, but always up to trying new stuff and for only $15.00 I could bring both on my next 4 day trip and try them both. . I get no bounce with mine.

shwn354
04-13-2011, 07:50
maybe try a lighter camera? that would be awful heavy

jhunt87
04-13-2011, 09:21
maybe try a lighter camera? that would be awful heavy

::stab:: :):)

brian039
04-13-2011, 10:02
Honestly I wouldn't want to hike with a good camera. It's just a matter of time before you break it or it gets wet.

88BlueGT
04-13-2011, 10:15
Honestly I wouldn't want to hike with a good camera. It's just a matter of time before you break it or it gets wet.

There is certainly a risk with bringing a 'nicer' camera hiking with you. I plan on using 'body & lens armor' on my camera as well to help with weather, dirt, etc. etc. etc. (http://www.cameraarmor.com/product/Canon-Rebel-XTI400D,26,2.htm)
The camera that I am carrying is one of the lightest for DSLR's so its actually not THAT bad. I would like to try and limit all my camera equipment to 3-4lbs if possible. The problem isn't even weight but where to put it when I'm not using it. I typically fill my bag to the brim everytime I go out. Looks like I need some smaller gear!

Hipneck
04-13-2011, 10:16

Thanks guys!

I carry my Nikon in a Lowe Pro TLZ Pro AW chest pack. It holds my D-200 with up to a 80-200 2.8 attached. It also comes with a rain cover for the pack built in. Extra lens goes in my backpack or daypack.

Arius
04-13-2011, 10:17
On my attempt 2006 thru-hike: Canon 10D - #4 photo gear. Lost #25 of my body weight til reached NH. Not bad - minus #21. Isn't very convenient way to take the pictures on the long hike. But in some cases it was worth of it. I had no choice, because I was no willing to spend more money for additional small camera in my household . Now I'm carrying Canon S95. And I'm much happier hiker . Actually... just try. With best wishes.

88BlueGT
04-13-2011, 10:41
Thats sort of how I feel about it now. I typically bring my point and shoot but I really haven't been all that happy with it (Sony Cybershot) and than it recently broke. Soooo I can either go out and spend another $200 dollars for another point and shoot OR I can use the camera that I really want to bring and save the money, but add a few lbs to the bag. I have never used my DSLR on a hiking trip before so I will buy a carrying system, take it out and if I don't like it or don't want the hassle of the weight and maintenance on the trail than I won't bring it again. Pretty simple concept :rolleyes:

I have a feeling it'll be worth it though! I brought it hiking in Argentina and it worked out pretty well even just dangling from a strap!

88BlueGT
04-13-2011, 10:43
I carry my Nikon in a Lowe Pro TLZ Pro AW chest pack. It holds my D-200 with up to a 80-200 2.8 attached. It also comes with a rain cover for the pack built in. Extra lens goes in my backpack or daypack.

I like that system as it provides protection for the camera while on your chest, nice setup.

jbsbestfan
04-13-2011, 11:42
Thanks for the great ideas folks. I have been carrying my Canon 60D with the 18-135 lens on day hikes and what a pain. I want some quality pics but the hand holding method has been cumbersome. I had gotten to where I just left it in my pack until I got to the good stuff. That cotton carrier system looks sweet. Before buying that, however, I might just get 2 of those rubberized s-binder clips and click it to my day pack like the straps that were suggested. One to each side. Glad I checked this page. Sorry I didn't have a solution.

Shutterbug
04-13-2011, 12:34

You are right that hiking with an expensive camera will eventually result in getting it wet. You will also get grit in the lense. Still, my biggest regrets aren't the cameras I have had to replace. They are the photographic opportunities I have missed. I have decided that live is too short to worry about wear and tear on cameras. Mine goes where I go.

DuctTape
04-13-2011, 20:44
I just wear mine around my neck - I loop it through my left arm to help keep it snug and prevent bouncing. I've been thru the JMT and CT carrying like it this, in addition to a whole lot of hiking in Grand Canyon.

beerdavis
04-15-2011, 23:06
I use a mountainsmith camera bag. It has a shoulder strap and a belt loop to attach it to your pack. It also comes with a rain fly which is nice when you get caught in the rain. I have the quickfire medium which is large enough to carry an 18-200 zoom lens with my D5000.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673867-REG/Mountainsmith_10_81066R_01_Zoom_Bag_Medium.html

Librarygeek
05-19-2011, 01:05
I have an inland marine rider on my apartment renter's insurance - it covers my camera if it's lost, stolen, dropped, sat on, submerged, etc, whether home or away. I haven't specifically checked to see if hiking is covered, but I'll be looking into some of the straps mentioned here. I bought this camera, and I intend to use it. Like Shutterbug said, "I have decided that live is too short to worry about wear and tear on cameras. Mine goes where I go."

gumball
05-19-2011, 05:08
I use a small Lowepro camera bag with a built in rain cover and thread it through my hip belt on the front of my pack. I thought it would bother me, but it did not at all. I carry my Canon Xsi this way sometimes.