PDA

View Full Version : Exped Mini Pump Review...

Limeman
04-12-2011, 18:42
Hey guys and gals,

After watching Exped's video of their ingenious and lightweight backpacking air-mattress pump, and reading that is was compatible with other pads, such as Big Agnes, etc, I decided to order it up. Arrived in one day (I absolutely love Amazon Prime!!) and was hopeful it would also work with my ThermaRest NeoAir mattress.

With stuff sack, patch kit and all accessories (including the adapter for pads other than Exped) the pump weighed in at just 2.6 oz. and packs very small - about the size of a small avocado. Once I pulled it out, it took about a few minutes for the foam in the pump to fully expand. Exped says to let it expand a full 24-hours before first use. Not sure why, but I didn't have the patience for that. The included adapter is nothing more than a short section of thick, somewhat flexible/stretchable tubing. It was a complete pain to attach to the nozzle of the pump, but once there, is very secure. The other end fit snugly but much more easily over the nozzle of my Neo Air and I proceeded to give it a go by placing the pump on the floor and using my hands.

The design is really intelligent: the Foam inside expands, pulling air into the chamber via the large opening in the center. Once you press down on the chamber, your hand covers the opening, allowing the air to be pumped into your air-mattress. Lift your hand, more air enters the chamber, press down, etc.. It is quick, fast and totally effective. Serious amounts of air can be fed into a mattress quickly and all I can say is WOW! It only took about a minute to inflate a size Large NeoAir (77 x 25 x 2.5). Seriously, folks. The NeoAir Large is a huge pad that I absolutely love, but always dread inflating at the end of a long day on the trail. The Exped pump's performance was stunning to me and makes me say shame to ThermaRest and Big Agnes for not being able (or even caring to, in ThermaRest's case) to come up with such a slick, effective and light-weight solution to pumping up their air-mattresses.

Bottom line: No more endless blowing, feeling light-headed and dreading pumping up my NeoAir at camp. I have not had it in the field yet, so cannot comment on durability, but it does not look fragile in the least and with basic common-sense treatment and care, should last quite a while. All in all, I can highly recommend this excellent accessory. A++++ in my book.

risingsun
04-12-2011, 20:04
NeoAir large for me, as well. Furthermore, my wife just bought one too after falling in love with mine on the living room floor. I am pleased to hear you are so happy with it.

Limeman
04-13-2011, 20:32
Agreed. The size L NeoAir is supreme for sure, and now that I can easily inflate it with the Exped Mini Pump faster than I can by just using my lungs, I'm thrilled.

FYI: the Mini Pump with adapter and stuff sack (the config I will be carrying) weighs in at just 2 oz. I don't need the Exped patch kit as I already carry Tenacious Tape. Again, I can highly recommend this light-weight and highly-useful accessory.

Cheers!