PDA

View Full Version : Mtn Empire section hike questions

Swiss Roll
04-12-2011, 19:39
Couple buddies and I are going to fly into Mtn Empire Airport and hike from the runway southbound. I need some advice on our itenerary as none of our party has done this section. First, the three of us are only middling hikers, but I was thinking we could do between 7-10 miles/day. Is this too conservative given the terrain?

Day one we will be arriving at Mtn Empire mid afternoon. I plan to hike from there the 5.5-6 miles to Chatfield Shelter. Are there any tent options at Chatfield or nearby?

Day two I thought we would do the 7-ish miles to Partnership. I am a little concerned though about the party atmosphere at Partnership, but on the Data book, I don't see any camp/water options until Trimpi, some 10 miles further.

Day three, the data book lists Racoon Branch Campground 13 miles from Parntership, but it looks like it is way off trail.

Day four we have to shuttle back to Mtn Empire and then fly home, so I was wanting to do a shorter day. Unfortunately, the nearest road crossing looks to be Va 603, some 10 miles from Racoon Branch.

Any help in tweaking this plan would be appreciated. Also, I'm going to need a shuttle from Va 603 back to Mtn Empire. Any suggestions?

moldy
04-13-2011, 10:09
Sounds like a nice trip. You might get a better response with a title different than Mt Empire, small aircraft people know it but hikers...maybe not so much. Plenty of campsites near Chatfield Shelter. Parterneship can be a party type place after the headquarters building closes this time of year because of car campers and it being a busy time of year. While I had no water at Trempi shelter last fall you will find plenty in the spring, plenty. I don't know anything about raccoon campground. My opinion, if I were you. I would start with a shuttle from your aircraft to Grayson Highlands and hike back to the plane, it's downhill most of the way and you can make better mileage. A good guy for the shuttle works at the Red barn at the I-81 crossing.

Swiss Roll
04-13-2011, 10:27
Excellent suggestion about the reverse shuttle. That way we wouldn't be dependent on meeting the shuttle at any certain time on the trail. Thanks for the downhill suggestion too.

Thanks for the info.

Mr. Bumpy
04-15-2011, 17:28
I think you would be making a mistake if you missed Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers area, so another vote there.

I'll even drive up from Asheville and give you a shuttle myself if you left the key to the aircraft. You wouldn't mind that it has been 15 years since I have been checked out in anything, would ya?:-?

In seriousness, Grayson Highlands to the airport would be an awesome hike and worth the trouble if you could get the ride.