PDA

View Full Version : transportation from canada

jlore
04-12-2011, 21:17
LT E2Ers how did you get your transportation from Canada. I know there are a couple options, taxi, hitchhike, ect. How did you get home or in may case back to williamstown mass.

Spokes
04-12-2011, 21:32
I'll be interested in watching this thread. Transportation for the Long Trail is dismal unless of course you want to spend all day hopping buses. You could call the GMC and get a list of their "volunteers and taxi" services.

A friend of mine who did a NOBO in 2010 swore he would never do the bus thing again. Instead he would fly up, grab an an Enterprise rental and drop it at the trailhead with the keys locked in the trunk. Enterprise claims they'll pick it up "anywhere" on a one way rental........

Papa D
04-12-2011, 21:39
I end to ended last year and used a cab service called Thomas Transportation out of Keene, NH - picked us right up on Journey's End Road and brought us to my car parked at the Greylock Community Club in N. Adams, MA. Their phone number is (603) 352-5550. They are not particularly cheap, so meet some other end to enders with the same problem and co-op the costs. P/M me with other LT questions if you like.

Papa D
04-12-2011, 21:41
By the way, you will see Border Patrol up and down Journey's End Road - they know about the LT and hikers and such, but they are not playing around - don't joke around with them about anything or take their picture.

WingedMonkey
04-12-2011, 21:41
I've always wanted to check this out:

One option to consider is to fly to Montreal and then take a bus to Mansonville, Quebec. From there it's about a 5 mile walk on quiet country roads to Journey's End (but it does require a passport to cross the border). I actually did this last summer heading northbound. You can easily get by in English in Montreal and in Mansonville.

The Montreal-Mansonville bus costs about $25 and details can be found here:

http://www.destinationknowlton.com/knowlton-bus-schedule.html

Spokes
04-12-2011, 21:44
I end to ended last year and used a cab service called Thomas Transportation out of Keene, NH - picked us right up on Journey's End Road and brought us to my car parked at the Greylock Community Club in N. Adams, MA. Their phone number is (603) 352-5550. They are not particularly cheap, so meet some other end to enders with the same problem and co-op the costs. P/M me with other LT questions if you like.

Papa D,
Did you make arrangements prior with the Greylock folks to park your car there? Also, how much lead time did Thomas Transportation need in order to coordinate your pick-up?

Cheers!

Papa D
04-12-2011, 21:48
Hey Spokes - to park at the Greylock Community Club you first have to find it - the guide calls it the Greylock Country Club which it is surely NOT - ha - it's about 250' from where the AT crosses the Hgy below Mt. Greylock before the bridge in N. Adams - just pull your car around the front into the grassy spot - leave a note in their mailbox and tell them thanks - the cops even watch this lot. As for Thomas Transportation, yes, i called them in advance, but I called them back from Johnson, VT just to make sure that they hadn't forgot about me - I'm sure you could just call them a couple of days out.

Dogwood
04-12-2011, 22:48
I hitched to Journey's End Rd(at the border but not actually in Canada, I also was questioned by Border Patrol, they DO patrol J E Rd.) and hiked SOBO. Started from Mt Pelier around 9 A.M., took two short bus rides which took me further north, started hitchhiking from there, took a short 15 min break to eat at a grocery store, and by 1 P.M. was at J E Rd/northern LT TH(the northern terminus of the LT is actually down J E Rd a bit, I guess about 2 - 2 1/2 miles). To me, hitching in VT is rather easy compared to some other places as there are many helpful ex-hippie and outdoor types in VT. Besides, even though I had not yet communicated what I was hiking, nearly everyone who lived in VT who saw me with my pack, knew about the LT and assumed that was what I was hiking and THEY OFFERED RIDES WITHOUT ME EVER HAVING TO ASK OR HOLD MY THUMB OUT ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD FOR LONG. It's harder to start that way(going SOBO) as I think the northern 1/2 of the LT is harder than the southern 1/2 but it makes for an easier to get back home ending. If you go SOBO I would advise you start out SLOWLY working your way into your hike or, better yet, hit the trail IN SHAPE.

stranger
04-13-2011, 02:35
Agreed Dogwood, hitching in Vermont with a pack is very easy...especially northern Vermont.

There are numerous people who offer shuttles from Burlington, keeping in mind it's nearly 80 miles (160 total) miles to Journeys End, and about 50 miles from St. Albans...so a shuttle isn't going to be all that cheap.

The end to end guide has shuttles listed, as does the GMC if you contact them. There are also threads on the subject on this LT forum.

In addition, you could post a ad for a shuttle on Craigslist and see if anyone bites...

There used to be bus service to Newport, but that was discontinued a while back now.

Papa D
04-13-2011, 07:46
I also agree that hitching in Vermont is pretty easy - I did have to wait about 1/2 hour to get a hitch out of AP GAP to Waitsfield for some reason - wearing your pack, smiling and not wearing a hat or sunglasses makes you seem less threatening to drivers - an easier way to get a ride (and I hitch a fair amount) is just talking to day hikers at the trail head whatever state you are in - VT or anywhere on any trail really - they always have a car close and are especially "curious" about folks doing long distance hikes.

NorthCountryWoods
04-13-2011, 08:17
Drug and human trafficking has increase recently and the LT has started to get noticed. There was a group of immigrants from asia that were caught at Rt. 242 last year. They walked thru in North troy and hiked the LT. Nothing on the news about it, heard about it from a border agent.

DHS has increased patrols of the area around the LT and will stop and question you. I don't think I've ever driven Rt 105 and Journeys End/North Jay roads within the last decade without seeing at least one patrol. Be respectful and you won't have a problem.

BTW, thanks to the patriot act you don't have the same rights you do elsewhere and can be held and questioned without cause within 50 miles of the border. If you've got your passport in order and aren't carrying anything illegal, you shouldn't have a problem crossing the border.

on_the_GOEZ
04-13-2011, 11:25
My final night, I stayed at Journey's End Camp (Beautiful new shelter!), got up early the next morning and got a hitch from the first car I saw on N Jay rd. I didnt really have a plan after I finished but after 6 different hitches, I made it to Waterbury, and then took a bus to Burlington. All hitches were incredibly friendly, welcoming, and willing. I fell in love with Vermont - Maybe it was the trail, maybe it was the people. Either way, go for the hitch - its fun to talk to strangers!

sharky
04-13-2011, 16:31
I have a few questions as someone considering a nobo starting early September.

Even if I don't plan on crossing the border should I carry a passport?

Right now I'm considering leaving my car at the Inn @ LT because I figure the expense would even itself out of leaving a car for them to watch ($2/day). Having to only get one shuttle down to the south then hopefully only have to pay for one shuttle to get down to Killington. I know I'm missing something in this equation so someone please explain the error of my thinking here.

NorthCountryWoods
04-13-2011, 16:59
If you're not crossing the border, you don't need a passport. Just carry ID.

Public transportation is pretty horrible around the trail, but from the Inn, you can hitch to Rutland and catch a bus to Williamstown.

From Jouneys End you can hitch (long) to St. Albans (or possibly Swanton not sure on bus service there), take a bus down to Rutland and hitch up to the Inn.

You used to be able to get a bus from Newport to White River Jct, but they don't run anymore.

StubbleJumper
04-13-2011, 18:30
Public transportation is pretty horrible around the trail, but from the Inn, you can hitch to Rutland and catch a bus to Williamstown.

Actually, you can just catch the public bus that stops right in front of the Inn, and for $2, it'll take you right into Rutland. There's no hassle about hitching.

Papa D
04-13-2011, 18:45
No Sharky, you will not need your passport - you essentially just touch the Canadian Border at a cement post at the end of the trail. You can take a few steps into Canada if you wish, but you will essentially always be in the US - DO NOT kid around with the Border Patrol - they patrol Journey's End Road - they know the LT and are cool with hikers but are also very serious - don't kid around with them - just a smile and a waive.

Kernel
04-13-2011, 19:03
You could make it to Sutton, Quebec, and take the bus to Montreal (90 mins). From there you can fly.

http://www.sutton.ca/f_direction.html

Papa D
04-13-2011, 19:18
by the time you pay for all of that biz, you can call Thomas Transportation and get taken back to MA - see my earlier post with their #

Kernel
04-13-2011, 19:32
Papa D, you posted as I was typing... your idea is even better.

Papa D
04-13-2011, 20:05
ha ha - I end to ended last year with 4 other people - we split the cost of Thomas Transportation - I think it was $300 - so it ended up being about $60 per person back to N Adams - obviously it would cost a premium for one person, but I imagine that (in season) you could co-op the ride with at least 2 other people - when we end to ended in July, we were in step with at least 5 other end to enders (a half to full day ahead or behind us).

Dogwood
04-14-2011, 01:50
Drug and human trafficking has increase recently and the LT has started to get noticed. North Country Woods

Damn, that puts my supplemental hiking income in jeopardy.

StubbleJumper
04-14-2011, 19:45
You could make it to Sutton, Quebec, and take the bus to Montreal (90 mins). From there you can fly.

http://www.sutton.ca/f_direction.html

Why bother with Sutton? Just walk to Mansonville, which is about 5-ish miles from Journey's End, and you can catch a bus to Montreal. I can tell you from personal experience that the border guards are a little suspicious and a little curious when you cross the border on foot! It might have something to do with smelling bad and looking dirty and homeless....but with a passport and a little chat it goes just fine.

The other thing that should be noted is that Mansonville is a mixture of English and French people and nearly everybody can speak both languages, so there's no trouble at all with communications....and same goes with Montreal.

The Mansonville-Montreal bus schedule can be viewed at:

http://www.destinationknowlton.com/knowlton-bus-schedule.html

wvgrinder
04-17-2011, 14:27
I stayed at the Inn in North Troy after my e2e last year. One of the owners works in Burlington Monday thru Friday. I caught a ride w/ him to Burlington in exchande for a little gas money. I then hitched back to my car which was parked at the Greylock C.C. I was in North Adams around 1:00 p.m. :D

wvgrinder
04-17-2011, 14:31
By the way, you will see Border Patrol up and down Journey's End Road - they know about the LT and hikers and such, but they are not playing around - don't joke around with them about anything or take their picture.

And be prepared to be met by a helicopter at the border!

sharky
04-17-2011, 20:37
How far is the hitch from Burlington to the Greylock CC? I'm also considering leaving a car roughly halfway at the Inn @ LT and hitching back to there.

Dogwood
04-17-2011, 22:03
I also agree that hitching in Vermont is pretty easy - I did have to wait about 1/2 hour to get a hitch out of AP GAP to Waitsfield for some reason - wearing your pack, smiling and not wearing a hat or sunglasses makes you seem less threatening to drivers - an easier way to get a ride (and I hitch a fair amount) is just talking to day hikers at the trail head whatever state you are in - VT or anywhere on any trail really - they always have a car close and are especially "curious" about folks doing long distance hikes.

Some savvy hitching advice from another hitcher "in the know!"

stranger
04-18-2011, 09:22
I would add collapse your hiking poles and take off those silly gaiters! Personally speaking, a sign works wonders

AndyB
04-18-2011, 11:17
when my wife joined my thru hike at port clinton, my hitching improved 10 fold,lol.