PDA

View Full Version : Clothes Suggestions for SOBO Thru?

doodoobaby
04-12-2011, 22:23
I am planning a thru-hike at the end of June/July 1st latest, and starting in Maine.

Does anyone have any experience hiking through here during these months?

What I planned:

1st Accent Rain Shell Jacket
MT Hardware Fleece Jacket
Under Armor Cold Gear Compression (Long Sleeve)
Under Armor Cold Gear Loose Fit (Long Sleeve)
Short Sleeve Shirt (synthetic)
Long Sleeve Shirt (synthetic)
Basketball Shorts
2 pair boxers (synthetic)
Long Johns (synthetic)
Columbia OmniTech Rain pants
Wool socks (maybe 3 pair)
Skull cap w/ face pull down (don't know what its called)
Ball cap
Head Net?

Thanks.

map man
04-13-2011, 20:49
Even in June and July it can be cold at higher elevations in Maine and New Hampshire so I would add a light pair of synthetic gloves.

Things you might drop: not counting your fleece and rain jacket you have three long sleeve tops. You only HAVE to have one so maybe you don't need the two Under Armor garments. And speaking of the fleece jacket -- if you have the money there are lighter options that will keep you warmer, like a synthetic-insulated or down jacket or sweater (I use a micropuff pullover, now replaced by the "nanopuff," but there are even lighter options out there that cost less).

Also, most folks don't like HIKING in a head net though some don't mind using it in camp -- you might be better served by DEET.

Everything else looks great to me. Good luck!

doodoobaby
04-20-2011, 12:27
I added the head net since I have read the black flies can be unbearable at times.

My main concern is the weather in late June/ early July. I would only bring the extra long sleeves for the cold weather. I've slept with this gear (minus an extra hoody) in 7* night in TN and was chilly but not too cold. (probably would have been fine if my sleeping bag fit me!)

The nano puff looks good, just don't have the money to spend now.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Migrating Bird
04-21-2011, 07:55
I agree with Map Man, ditch the other long sleeve shirts, only one is required. While hiking, shorts, socks, underwear (optional) and short sleeve shirt is all that is required - as long as you are moving you will be warm. The heavy fleece is overkill. I use a lighter fleece pullover in camp. The rain jacket will serve as wind shirt as well. Definetly 3 pairs of socks - one kept clean for sleeping and alternate the other two. I also use short OR stretch gaiters to keep my feet clean and stuff out of my shoes. Expect mud and wet feet. I also use Body Glide on my feet to prevent blisters. Bring some kind of Crocs to cross rivers and wear in camp. Take care of your feet and the rest will follow. Ben's in the bottle is the best Deet insect repellent and manditory. Great time hike ME, good luck.

doodoobaby
04-21-2011, 14:48
I agree with Map Man, ditch the other long sleeve shirts, only one is required. While hiking, shorts, socks, underwear (optional) and short sleeve shirt is all that is required - as long as you are moving you will be warm. The heavy fleece is overkill. I use a lighter fleece pullover in camp. The rain jacket will serve as wind shirt as well. Definetly 3 pairs of socks - one kept clean for sleeping and alternate the other two. I also use short OR stretch gaiters to keep my feet clean and stuff out of my shoes. Expect mud and wet feet. I also use Body Glide on my feet to prevent blisters. Bring some kind of Crocs to cross rivers and wear in camp. Take care of your feet and the rest will follow. Ben's in the bottle is the best Deet insect repellent and manditory. Great time hike ME, good luck.

You think the fleece is overkill? I'm expecting cold nights in ME, is that not the case in June/July?

I'll take notes on Ben's in the bottle, and will bring some gloves. I think I will either leave the extra long sleeves, or bring them and send home when I decide not needed.

Does anyone have experience weather wise in this area during these months?

Marta
04-21-2011, 16:54
I started SOBO July 3d. Clothing:
Synthetic T-shirt
Shirt for sleeping in
Light fleece jacket
Montane wind shirt
Silnylon rain jacket.

Bottom layers were similar, minus the fleece jacket.

I would definitely take the head net. DEET doesn't do much for the gnats that like to fly into your eyes.

Second the notion that you need gloves as well as knit cap and maybe a neck gaiter.

Part of your choice depends on whether you're "cold-natured" (as I am), or always warm and sweaty. Even for a hot-natured person, 40s and pelting rain all day can make you pretty chilly.

Snowleopard
04-21-2011, 17:31
I don't think the fleece is overkill for Maine and NH at any time of year, especially above treeline. Hypothermia is a real danger there, especially in a cold rain with high winds.

Safari
04-21-2011, 17:57
Footwear??

Chomp09
04-21-2011, 22:39
Keep in mind that anything you start south with you will have to carry for at least the first hundred plus miles until you get to Monson. It's worth bringing the fleece and a long sleeve shirt, but I'd think long and hard before bringing all of the options initially listed or anything else that could possibly be considered "extra."

Best of luck and happy hiking. A southbound thru-hike is an experience you will not soon forget!:sun

Migrating Bird
04-22-2011, 09:13
I did not carry a heavy fleece jacket (very bulky) only a light fleece pull over last year. I climbed Katahdin on May 29th and hiked south to Franconia Notch, NH arriving July 3rd. I hit all kinds of weather, Mt. Katahdin, White Cap and Mt. Washington (1/4" snow in the monring) were probally the coldest due to wind, fog, rain, sleet, etc. I did have a Packa, Marmot precip rain jacket and mid wieght poly pro long sleeve patigonia top (and bottom for camp and sleeping). Think layers and keeping your insulating layers dry. If I put the fleece pull over, longsleeve shirt and synthetic tee (not cotton) on with the Marmot rain jacket or Packa, I was always toasty. I think I only did this once. I always hiked in only a short sleeve shrit and shorts unless it was raining, then the Packa was pulled on, in the wind either the Packa or Marmot was used. Never hiked in a long sleeve except once, when I left Lake of the Clouds hut and took it off in less then 5 min. (windy temps in the high 30's & low 40's but no precip.) It is cold when you start, but in 5 min. your nice and warm. I hiked the first 9 days with my daughters fiance (who thru hiked in '09 SOBO) and he had similar clothing and we were never cold, even in torrential rains. We both had Packas. I also had an OR pull over hat and light gloves (used the gloves only in the Whites)

Bottom line, carry what your comfortable carrying but this is what I did.

The bugs didn't cause me any issues while hiking as long as I was moving but when you stop look out. Deet has always worked for me against blackflies.Furthur south, skeeters, deer flies and no see ums are a different issue.

I also spent 12 years as an alpine ski patroler with the NSP so I do understand how dangerous hypothermia is.