PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Pole Care/Maintenance

Driver8
04-13-2011, 01:17
So Santa REI just helped get me the pair of Black Diamond Trail Shock TPs I'd been lusting after. Replacing some REI twist-end tps which were slipping too much on me. These are my fanciest gear yet and I want to treat them well. Any advice?

Franco
04-13-2011, 02:36
Since you have the double flick lock they are very easy to take apart.
So every so often do take them apart and wipe down the tubes to get rid of sand and other matter that may get stuck in there.
Do not oil or lubricate, just a dry wipe.
Franco

JaxHiker
04-13-2011, 09:24
I have the same poles and like them a lot. What Franco said, btw.

Deadeye
04-13-2011, 09:41
I use rubbing alcohol to clean my poles - gets more grime off than dry wipe, and dries w/o causing corrosion.

garlic08
04-13-2011, 09:47
Store the poles with the flick locks locked. I once left one unlocked in a vehicle, and the screw somehow vibrated out during the ride. Loosing that little screw can ruin your whole day.

Driver8
04-13-2011, 11:08
Store the poles with the flick locks locked. I once left one unlocked in a vehicle, and the screw somehow vibrated out during the ride. Loosing that little screw can ruin your whole day.

No one wants to hike around with a screw loose. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Can't wait to get out!

Driver8
04-13-2011, 12:00
PS: Any suggestions re: attachments for the tips? I've read some older threads and it sounds like most frown on rubber tips - I tend to agree. Any other thoughts?

Driver8
04-13-2011, 21:44
Returned the spikes to REI w/o incident. They are out of my size for the season at the store and online, alas. Guess I'll have to check elsewhere if I want to do anything snowy up north and west @ higher elevations.

Cosmo
04-15-2011, 17:50
Maintaining clubs prefer hikers use rubber tips on the poles, particularly on popular areas of the trail. Multiple passes with sharp tipped poles does loosen soil along the margins of the footpath and can speed erosion--especially since the heaviest pole use is on the steeper sections of trail.

I thought this was mostly BS, until I saw some of the AT in NY/Harriman Park area. I've since gone to rubber tips and have found little difference in how the poles "set" on most surfaces (except ice). Once the pole reaches a certain angle with the surface, the tip will slide--you get a few extra degrees with metal tips on some rock (but not always). I did not find the difference compelling enough to add to the wear and tear (and unsightly scratches) on the Trail. I do go with the metal tips once we get snow and ice.

Cosmo

tigerpaw
04-15-2011, 17:57
GA is already looking like a heavily used soccer pitch. Seems like the rubber tip idea is a good one. I used them, b/c I have experienced getting the metal tips stuck, but then again, I am a newb!

Elder
04-15-2011, 19:06
Leki does not recommend the use of rubber tips for anywhere but roads.
Under all angles and situations, the carbide tips are more secure.
Using them in the woods means more falls...1 rescue does more damage than all the hikers.
P.S. The aeration along the edges is where the spring green shows first.
rock scratches?..the rocks do not care..

and Yes, I am the Leki guy.

Driver8
04-15-2011, 21:50
Returned the spikes to REI w/o incident. They are out of my size for the season at the store and online, alas. Guess I'll have to check elsewhere if I want to do anything snowy up north and west @ higher elevations.

Argh. Posted in the wrong gear thread - this was meant for my spikes thread.

Leki does not recommend the use of rubber tips for anywhere but roads.
Under all angles and situations, the carbide tips are more secure.
Using them in the woods means more falls...1 rescue does more damage than all the hikers.
P.S. The aeration along the edges is where the spring green shows first.
rock scratches?..the rocks do not care..

and Yes, I am the Leki guy.

I tend not to use poles on relatively level stretches and try to lever against rocks with them on the steeper pitches where I do use them. It is good to be mindful, I think, of trail erosion and to work to minimize one's inevitable contribution to it. Rubber tips, in my limited experience, are more likely to stick to something and thus to cause someone to fall than are the hard pointy, uncovered tips.

Hi Leki Guy! Sorry to pose this question to you as a Black Diamond user, feel free to ignore if you like - what is your thought, and anyone else's for that matter, about hand strap usage? I see the argument for it and am starting to use them more. Like the leverage and reduced pressure on grip. My concern is with falling, getting one's hand or wrist caught in the strap/grip apparatus and doing big damage to the hand or wrist. What say y'all?

Elder
04-15-2011, 22:11
The straps are part of your support, and used correctly, minimize the effort of using them.
You are not 'caught' if you use them right.
Leki's Aergon grip has a release mechanism, the strap slips...
good poles have good straps...crap has.....
No straps makes as much sense as no shoestrings.

Driver8
04-16-2011, 00:32
Thanks for the favor of your reply, Elder. As I said, I use straps more often now, getting into the habit. Happy trails!