PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1

Demillo
04-13-2011, 08:27
Just purchased a couple of weeks ago. Set it up very quickly to make sure that everything was there. I have not, however, used it yet. Planning on a 10 day hike in a couple of weeks. Anybody have one of these? What do you think of it? I am 5' 8", so I don't expect head room to be a problem. Considering my last tent was a Eureka Solitaire, I expect I will feel like I'm in a mansion :) Anyway--anybody's thoughts on the tent if you have and used one? Anything I should expect/prepared for when I use it?

Montana Mac
04-13-2011, 10:14
I have the SL2 and really like the thing. I went for the two just for the extra room and also once in a while may have a friend along.

IMHO it is a good tent - easy to set up - so far no problems

jbsbestfan
04-13-2011, 11:03
I have the seedhouse SL 2 also. I chose it because not much weight difference between it and the SL1. I had it from the approach trail to Neels Gap last fall and loved it. Make sure you do not ditch all of the stakes because you almost need them for the proper ventilation (and the vestibule for sure). I experienced no condensation even though I did not take a few stakes and took the guy lines off of the middle sides. My only complaint was closing the vestibule while in tent. I feel sure that your experience will be the same with the SL1. Enjoy.

Goldilocks&2bears
04-13-2011, 12:55
I originally purchased the SL1, but returned it for the SL2, because of opting for a little more space once I crawled inside the SL1. The SL2 fits me (I'm 5'7) + 2 huskies, their packs, and my pack. For more room it was worth the extra cost and weight. The tent has kept us totally dry in weather and is well ventilated, if you use the stakes. It's tough and has withheld a lot of wear and tear. There are some reflective strips on the outside of the tent that are handy for finding tent in the dark with your headlight. The stuff sacks/cinch cords could be more durable, but no biggie. Overall I've been really pleased with the tent.

Montana Mac
04-13-2011, 13:10
I originally purchased the SL1, but returned it for the SL2, because of opting for a little more space once I crawled inside the SL1. The SL2 fits me (I'm 5'7) + 2 huskies, their packs, and my pack. For more room it was worth the extra cost and weight. The tent has kept us totally dry in weather and is well ventilated, if you use the stakes. It's tough and has withheld a lot of wear and tear. There are some reflective strips on the outside of the tent that are handy for finding tent in the dark with your headlight. The stuff sacks/cinch cords could be more durable, but no biggie. Overall I've been really pleased with the tent.

If you do any real stealth camping you may want to change these out :D

RITBlake
04-13-2011, 14:34
Just purchased a couple of weeks ago. Set it up very quickly to make sure that everything was there. I have not, however, used it yet. Planning on a 10 day hike in a couple of weeks. Anybody have one of these? What do you think of it? I am 5' 8", so I don't expect head room to be a problem. Considering my last tent was a Eureka Solitaire, I expect I will feel like I'm in a mansion :) Anyway--anybody's thoughts on the tent if you have and used one? Anything I should expect/prepared for when I use it?

It's fantastic. You will love it. I'm 4 inches taller then you and never found it to be tight or small.

wornoutboots
04-13-2011, 18:35
I bought an SL2 recently and have only used it once. It does have a lot of space. Curious though, is there an easy way to put that pole with the bend in it through the sleeves? I bought it used & I don't have any directions? It just sememd a little cumbersome the put up? or was that just me??

RETCW4
04-13-2011, 19:50
I bought an SL2 recently and have only used it once. It does have a lot of space. Curious though, is there an easy way to put that pole with the bend in it through the sleeves? I bought it used & I don't have any directions? It just sememd a little cumbersome the put up? or was that just me??

You can go to the BA website and download the instructions.

Tumbleweed

Demillo
04-14-2011, 08:59
I bought mine "used", (new--but previously purchased) as well from Jonebner here on whiteblaze. He used nylon thread to attach clips to the sleeves. He purchased the same clips used for the other areas from Big Agnes, and attached them himself. You could ask him for info. It made the tent even more convenient and easy to set up.

wornoutboots
07-29-2011, 23:27
Thanks for the responses! I have had it out a handful of times & it gets easier & easier each time. I LOVE the way the front rainfly rolls 1/2 way back so you can sleep under the stars while in the tent, especially when it a little warm this time of year. I really reccomend this tent!