PDA

View Full Version : Shelter decorum

camper1121
04-13-2011, 13:24
What are your pet peeves about shelter mates?

mad4scrapping
04-13-2011, 13:34
Farting and snoring. Oh wait, I'm the one that does that, not my shelter mates. Hence the reason I hate sleeping in shelters. No one will talk to me in the morning.

Blissful
04-13-2011, 13:40
They like to eat the nosepads on my glasses. A real drag.

:) :)

chiefdaddy
04-13-2011, 13:49
I dont have a huge problem with me being pissed about being awake due to someone snoring.. My problem is when the sorer is pissed at anyone who say anything or wakes them up to stop it. Once in 2008 the snoring person made up for the noise by laying his down quilt over me while getting ready to hike out super early... this is all while standing over me nude lol in the shelter(thought someone and hung bear bags right over me)... never look out the breathing hole to see what's going on, you might not like the scene :)
My Boston Terrier Chief snores like an old man after a hard days hike and has been known to get me blamed for it. He also has been know to snuggle with pretty girls 4 people away from me in the lean-to.
Mice suck. They have and will jump on your face, or just party into the night and keep you awake.

mad4scrapping
04-13-2011, 13:51
I wouldn't mind someone naked standing over me if he was cute . . .

BobTheBuilder
04-13-2011, 14:10
I'll stay by a shelter, but not in one because my hammock insulation isn't enough padding to sleep on a shelter floor. Also, I tend to snore like a freight train. I do like to camp nearby in order to use the table and benches, make a fire, have a nearby water source, enjoy the company, etc.

My only beef is when people let their stuff spread out to fill the available space. Come on, people! If you have the entire table top covered with your crap and I'm standing there holding my stove and my food bag, tighten it up a little bit. If your clothes and gear are covering the entire shelter and there are only two of you, don't make me ask if you can move something so I can set my pack down. It just seems like good manners to me, I guess.

Northern Lights
04-13-2011, 14:32
I dont have a huge problem with me being pissed about being awake due to someone snoring.. My problem is when the sorer is pissed at anyone who say anything or wakes them up to stop it. Once in 2008 the snoring person made up for the noise by laying his down quilt over me while getting ready to hike out super early... this is all while standing over me nude lol in the shelter(thought someone and hung bear bags right over me)... never look out the breathing hole to see what's going on, you might not like the scene :)
My Boston Terrier Chief snores like an old man after a hard days hike and has been known to get me blamed for it. He also has been know to snuggle with pretty girls 4 people away from me in the lean-to.
Mice suck. They have and will jump on your face, or just party into the night and keep you awake.

My golden retriever snores, and I've often tried to blame him for my snoring:( Apparently he snores, but I snore louder.

4shot
04-13-2011, 14:48
One woman insisted on using the shelters even though she was sick and coughing/sneezing...I thought that was very disrepectful to other hikers and I know she was carrying a tent. if you are sick, stay in your own tent or hammock as a courtesy to others please. personally, i tried to avoid them for sleeping but would tent nearby often for the social aspect and availability of water and privy.

d.o.c
04-13-2011, 15:21
do not put your tent in the shelter.

Newb
04-13-2011, 15:23
Shelters are not for sex when there are others there. I don't care how "furtive" or sneaky you think you're being. We know what you're doing behind your makeshift curtain.

bulldog49
04-13-2011, 15:29
What are your pet peeves about shelter mates?

It peeves me to be asked what my peeves are. :rolleyes:

ChinMusic
04-13-2011, 15:57
Shelters are not for sex when there are others there.
Had to re-read that. Thought you had typed, "Shelters are not for having sex with others"

Spokes
04-13-2011, 16:09
Drippin' wet clothes all over my dry stuff.

Smile
04-13-2011, 17:56
Rude dog owners who think we all want their pooch on the foot of our bags. Barking....I won't even go there, not enough white space provided here to express my thoughts on that subject.

:)

Roots
04-13-2011, 17:59
shelters are my pet peeve...

mweinstone
04-13-2011, 18:02
me. im my own peev. hate myself. and i smell. and i make crappy smelling foods and drink water all night loudly and snor and fart and talk to much and make calls and use lights and go in and out peeing all night and get up at dark sizzeling really loud bacon and then i fall down all day hiking and cant get up and folks have to wait. i suck totaly to be in a shelter with.

Bearpaw
04-13-2011, 19:01
Having shelter mates is my pet peeve.

So I avoid shelters and enjoy my hammock. ;)

Panzer1
04-13-2011, 19:37
I always wondered why people don't just fart quietly. Am I the only one who knows how to do that?

Panzer

mateozzz
04-13-2011, 20:31
I had that experience at Sassafras Gap shelter north of NOC last year. I got woken up after being bumped by a leg and leaned up to see what it was, when I laid back down I heard a quiet "Don't stop!" from the female student sleeping next to me to her "friend". Put earplugs back in...go to sleep!

BadAndy
04-13-2011, 21:08
I always wondered why people don't just fart quietly. Am I the only one who knows how to do that?

Panzer

Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it's quiet

-SEEKER-
04-13-2011, 21:15

Panzer
I always thought that the quiet ones were the ones that smelled bad:D

flemdawg1
04-13-2011, 22:40

Panzer

I think of it as a warning siren. Look out here it comes! :eek:

Joker4ink
04-13-2011, 22:41
People cooking in shelters...Thanks for leaving your alcohol stove rings on the floor and helping attract animals with your food.

FarmRookie 2015
04-13-2011, 23:01
I always thought that the quiet ones were the ones that smelled bad:D

People having sex?

SassyWindsor
04-13-2011, 23:11
Children should not be subjected to shelter life. You'll find some of the lowest form of humanity in shelters.

Dogwood
04-14-2011, 01:37
Is this in the humor section?

Roots
04-14-2011, 08:44
People cooking in shelters...Thanks for leaving your alcohol stove rings on the floor and helping attract animals with your food.

the alcohol stove rings burnt into the floor don't attract animals. People eating and dropping food, hanging those nice food odored bags, and the nice food scented clothing you wear, attract animals.

sbhikes
04-14-2011, 10:14
Shelters sound awful. I will bring my tent and fart and snore to my heart's content.

BobTheBuilder
04-14-2011, 11:32
When it's pouring down rain and you've been in it all day, that dry shelter can seem like the Four Seasons.

ScrapIron
04-14-2011, 13:31
I've never been one to gripe too much. I don't think that the world revolves around me. I'm a big boy and can handle most types of people.

However, I am not nearly as magnanimous when children are around.

harryfred
04-14-2011, 17:32
Not putting your damn fire out. Way too many times I have come on a shelter with HOT embers still in the fire pit. Through hikers are the worse (I read the logs). While I am on the subject You do Not need a fire every night and there is a difference between a camp fire and a bonfire.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-14-2011, 20:18
people that dont know when to shut up and go to sleep and people that throw their crap all over the place thats why i stay out of shelters and sleep in a hammock

Deadeye
04-14-2011, 20:20
peeved people peeve me

TallShark
04-14-2011, 21:44
Shelters really do suck, i say they get rid of them.

ChinMusic
04-14-2011, 21:55
Guys that put their mousetraps near where I set my headlamp.

Papa D
04-14-2011, 22:14
"Know it alls" - I already know it all. LOL
and "thumpers"

Northern Lights
04-15-2011, 00:15
I would never dream of stayin in a shelter, I snore too loud :(

aaronthebugbuffet
04-15-2011, 00:47
People sleeping in shelters. Shelters are just places to have lunch on a rainy day.

Newb
04-15-2011, 08:25
I had that experience at Sassafras Gap shelter north of NOC last year. I got woken up after being bumped by a leg and leaned up to see what it was, when I laid back down I heard a quiet "Don't stop!" from the female student sleeping next to me to her "friend". Put earplugs back in...go to sleep!
\
Too funny! My note about sex in shelters was referring to the Sassafras Gap shelter, too.

Jay_NJ
04-16-2011, 14:54
Only one thing comes to mind as I usually avoid shelters and tend to camp. Aside from the obvious farts, snoring, etc.

1) Boyscouts. The idea of sharing a shelter with 10 tweens and teens who often are carrying two person tents drives me up the wall. I will camp in pouring rain under this scenario or just keep hiking.

Pedaling Fool
04-16-2011, 17:22
I love shelters, nice flat stable area to place my stove and cook my meals and they all seem to have those things...what are they:-?...any way, they always come around and clean up after you.

Handschin
04-18-2011, 08:08
Thank the hiking gods for my hammock and tarp. I shall study these "shelters" from afar.