PDA

View Full Version : Yak Tracs

Graywolf
04-13-2011, 15:14
I have been reading Trail Journals and even though I heard them mentioned, I havnt seen them used very much. Do you think Yak Tracs are nessaccery on an early July start?

Graywolf

Ox97GaMe
04-13-2011, 17:56
Mags would be able to better state as a general rule of thumb. I started my thruhike of the CT the first of July, headed West, and didnt really have a need for them.

There were a couple of side trips that I took to summit some 14ers that I could have utilized a pair.

Mags
04-13-2011, 20:11
Overkill for the most part on a CT hike. Assuming a Durango bound hike, it will be towards the end of July for a typical CDT hiker when you hit the really higher elevations in the San Juans (you lucky dog! :) )

Yak Traxx is general are best for picking up the mail on an icy sidewalk in any case. :)

Graywolf
04-14-2011, 23:18
Overkill for the most part on a CT hike. Assuming a Durango bound hike, it will be towards the end of July for a typical CDT hiker when you hit the really higher elevations in the San Juans (you lucky dog! :) )

Yak Traxx is general are best for picking up the mail on an icy sidewalk in any case. :)

Thanks. Im taking Yak tracs up Pikes Peak on the Barr Trail, but am considering leaving them with my friend when I head to the CT...Just wantedto know how to plan it.. If it looks I may need them, I can always have him bring me to a resupply point.. Its good to have friends close to the trail...

Bearpaw
04-15-2011, 07:21
I started June 7 five years ago. I expected plenty of snow by Georgia Pass and beyond. I even sent some snowshoes to myself with my first maildrop.

But I never had more snow than a half a mile at a time, once the trail dropped back down below tree line. I sent the snowshoes home in Breckenridge.

YakTrax are mostly just useful on packed trail that has become icy from packing, melting, then refreezing. Your biggest worry will be the snow becoming too soft as you posthole up to your knees or groin. YakTrax won't help you with that.