PDA

View Full Version : Towns with large supermarkets

chris
01-20-2005, 18:29
I'm putting this here because food and resupplying is one of the most (the only) important pre-trip planning exercises for thruhikers. For those who want/need only large grocery stores for in-town resupply, here is a list of the ones that I know about. You can use these places for buying food and mailing it up the trail.

1. Damascus - Small store in town was closed in May, mega store outside town.

2. Pearisburg. In the main shopping mall area.

3. Daleville. I think I saw a Food Lion here, but I went into Troutville, where there is a small-medium store.

4. Waynesboro. Lots of options, but spread out. Super Walmart was good.

5. Duncannon. The Doyle had arranged for a supermarket employee to come out with a van and shuttle hikers to and fro.

6. Kent. Near the PO.

7. Great Barrington. Way outside town, but close to a motel where I stayed.

8. Williamstown. Big store to the right on the roadway. Next to a terrible AYCE Chinese place. I understand there is another big store if you go left.

9. Manchester Center. Big store right in the middle of town, next to an outfitter of sorts.

I haven't been north of Manchester, so can't really comment on that. Also, there are a lot of places I didn't go in to. So, if you did and found a big store, pass the info along for others.

c.coyle
01-20-2005, 18:33
Port Clinton, PA. - Nothing right there, but a chain supermarket (Weis) in Hamburg, 3 miles away.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 18:37
Starting from the South you can include Blairsville, GA, Hiawassee, GA and Franklin, NC ...just to add a few.

'Slogger
AT 2003

TJ aka Teej
01-20-2005, 19:04
Millinocket, ME Near the BSPHQ, a Hannaford's chain store with extended hours, takes debit cards, gives cash back, deli, generic selection. Across the street, a family owned IGA, opens later, same info re debits, better prices, premade sandwiches, eclectic selection, local products.

Gorham, NH Just up the highway from Hiker's Paradise, a huge Shaw's chain store, excellent deli, you need a 'Shaws Card' from the customer service desk to get the advertised sale prices, debit w/cash back.

Hanover NH is the next town down the trail with larger markets, I think.

MOWGLI
01-20-2005, 19:46
Vernon, NJ.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-20-2005, 20:34
I liked the store in Hanover. They had some really good granola.

Boo Boo
01-20-2005, 20:59
Front Royal, Virginia has a Martin's grocery store right next to a laundromat. Martin's offers many a buffet (wings, salad, bbq, Chinese, Meditteranean...to name a few).

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2005, 21:34
Since Chris' list stopped at Manchester, here are a few good Northern options:

*The Co-op Food Store in Hanover is one of the best supermarkets on the
Trail; you will literally walk by it on your way out of town.

*The great folks who run the hostel in Glencliff will shuttle you to a good
small market in Warren

*There's a good market in the center of North Woodstock; people needing
more can hitch (a tough one, too) or walk a mile or so to bigger markets in
nearby Lincoln

*Very light (repeat VERY) re-supply is available at the store in the AMC
lodge in Pinkham Notch, but do NOT consider this a market; use it only if
you're flat out of food as you head down the trail towards Gorham.

*Excellent supermarket re-supply in Gorham

*Two small markets in Andover, Maine

*Fine market in Stratton, Maine

*New large supermarket just outside (but within walking distance) of
downtown Rangeley, Maine (There's a small market/convenience store
in Oquossuc, before you get to the Rangeley road crossing, but only go
there if you have to; the hitch to Rangeley is much easier).

*Light re-supply is available at Steve Longley's store, .9 up the road from the
Caratunk, ME road crossing. He has everything you'll need to get you the
33-odd miles to Monson

*In Monson, re-supply at either the general store or the convenience store/
pizza place at the pther end of town; if you need a reral supermarket, you
can get a reasonably priced shuttle from Keith Shaw Jr. to nearby Dover

A-Train
01-20-2005, 21:42
Together, seems like everyone pieced together almost the whole trail. Only missing (that i can remember) are Erwin and at Kincorra, Bob will drive you into a town with a large supermarket (maybe Elizabethton?)

orangebug
01-20-2005, 21:49
Yup, Erwin has a couple of decent groceries and large convenience stores.

Of course, we have ignored Dawsonville and Ellijay, GA with large chain grocers. I like Ingle's for their broad selection of dried meat and fish.

Skyline
01-20-2005, 22:25
Front Royal (off A.T. at US522) has a brand new Martin's Super Supermarket, in the same shopping center as Weasel Creek Outfitters; also FR has a Food Lion.

For anyone needing to resupply between Waynesboro and Front Royal, Luray (off A.T. at US211/Thornton Gap) has three supermarkets--in the center of town, Farmer's Foods. To the west of town, both a Food Lion and a Wal-Mart Supercenter (has a supermarket within the store). All three stores have decent delis.

Singletrack
02-05-2005, 00:36
Glasgow, Virginia. Long hitch. Has 2 markets. One has a deli with burgers etc. You can find what you need in both stores. The red brick one is the best, imo.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2005, 06:04
Helen,Ga.
Blairsville,Ga.
Hiawassee,Ga.
Franklin,N.C.
Bryson City, N.C.
Gatlinburg, Tn.

All < 15 miles from the trail and all fairly easy hitches.

weary
07-14-2005, 22:20
Front Royal, Virginia has a Martin's grocery store right next to a laundromat. Martin's offers many a buffet (wings, salad, bbq, Chinese, Meditteranean...to name a few).
Plus the best book store on the trail.

Weary

honu
07-15-2005, 00:25
As part of planning for my thru next year, I pieced together a chart of food resupply sources within five miles of the trail from various (older) sources. It may help someone. And if anyone has updates and corrections, I would appreciate them. You can see the chart at http://www.100megsfree3.com/wordsmith/backpacking/atfoodresupply.html .

saimyoji
07-15-2005, 00:40
Seems like a pretty good list. You've combined NJ with PA without warning though....

Ridge
07-15-2005, 00:54
Gatlinburg, already mentioned by L.Wolf, has always been an important resupply town. Also, Erwin and Hanover and probably others.

honu
07-15-2005, 01:09
Seems like a pretty good list. You've combined NJ with PA without warning though....Thanks saimyoji. Can't believe I missed that. My mistake has been corrected.