PDA

View Full Version : Supported AT Speed Record Attempt - Jennifer Pharr - 2011

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ktaadn
07-31-2011, 11:45
Is anyone tweeting live updates other than the official @JenPharrDavis?

mudhead
07-31-2011, 12:44
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Unless you are digital.:)

Sly
07-31-2011, 12:49
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Unless you are digital.:)

Looks like Jen is wearing a Suunto, the NUMBER ONE sports watch for outdoor enthusiasts!

Marta
07-31-2011, 13:18
Should be finishing up any minute now...

Driver8
07-31-2011, 13:36
Jen passed us .5 miles north of Gooch Gap at 10:10am leaving her 17 miles to go to the finish line.

That sounds to me like a 3 pm finish, maybe 3:30, depending on if she has a significant running burst left in her for the finish. Brew posted something half hour ago saying she got in more than 60 yesterday, leaving her about 30 for today. That being the case, she probably slept from about 3 am to 6 am and was hiking about 4 hours by the time you saw her at Gooch. What stamina and endurance! That's all I can say.

FatMan
07-31-2011, 13:38
Being the last 8 miles are pretty easy and based upon when I saw her on the trail, barring a catastrophic event, let me be the first to congratulate Jen on her amazing accomplishment. The sun is shining bright so the big man upstairs is showing his approval as well.

Compliments of Howard Cosell reporting from a distance. :lol

If she is not a top springer she likely will be within minutes

Iceaxe
07-31-2011, 13:40
Congratulations Odyssa! To think that I saw her in the 100 mile wilderness on my 98th day, June 19th on the AT. I have scarcely had time to re-enter normal society and she is already finishing up!
For those that have hiked the AT you know what an amazing amount of effort this represents. For those that haven't yet.. you will discover what an amazing amount of effort this represents!
I wish I was there to see her walk up to the plaque on Springer.
Major Congratulations!!!

Sly
07-31-2011, 13:46
That sounds to me like a 3 pm finish, maybe 3:30, depending on if she has a significant running burst left in her for the finish. Brew posted something half hour ago saying she got in more than 60 yesterday, leaving her about 30 for today. That being the case, she probably slept from about 3 am to 6 am and was hiking about 4 hours by the time you saw her at Gooch. What stamina and endurance! That's all I can say.

Pirate saw her at Neel Gap at 5:15am and Fatman saw her 13 miles later at 10:10am. So... about 2.7 mph, she should get her to Springer around 4:30-:45pm

outsideinmi
07-31-2011, 14:10
should finish any minute here, within the hour i'd guess based on what others have said about her progress. I can't imagine the strength (mental) and endurance needed to complete what she's about to complete. absolutely incredible. By beating the record by more than a day she's done the equivalent of beating the world record in the marathon by TWO MINUTES. That sort of record breaking is like bob beamon's world record long jump in 1968... How long will a record like this stand? Is this the only endurance/sport record where a woman now holds the overall best?? Hat's off to Jenn Pharr Davis. wow. congratulations.

Driver8
07-31-2011, 14:35
Per the Weather Channel's radar map, there's a building thunderstorm headed toward Springer. Hope she beats it and everyone gets out of there safely.

Red Hat
07-31-2011, 14:52

Since Pirate saw her at Neel Gap around 5:15 am, I'll bet she was hiking shortly after 3am... (she probably only slept from 11pm to 3am or so) that means she had been hiking nearly 7 hours when Fatman saw her. I expect her to be done any time now. Stamina and endurance for sure! Plus the grace of God.

Sly
07-31-2011, 15:02
By beating the record by more than a day she's done the equivalent of beating the world record in the marathon by TWO MINUTES. That sort of record breaking is like bob beamon's world record long jump in 1968... How long will a record like this stand? Is this the only endurance/sport record where a woman now holds the overall best?? Hat's off to Jenn Pharr Davis. wow. congratulations.

She certainly raised the bar, but she also reminded us somewhat of the tortoise and the hare. I'd say the only way the record's going to be broken is by someone taking a similar approach. Most of us can walk a few miles easier than running one. It's the same approach.

Sly
07-31-2011, 15:07
Per the Weather Channel's radar map, there's a building thunderstorm headed toward Springer. Hope she beats it and everyone gets out of there safely.

Panic much? It's a passing storm. It will take more than that to "rain" on this parade.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USGA0185?from=hrly_graph_icon&page=hourlygraph&fcstHour=17#17

(http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USGA0185?from=hrly_graph_icon&page=hourlygraph&fcstHour=17#17)

Blissful
07-31-2011, 15:10
If anyone sees this and can get a pic up of the finish - I want to blog about this on my hiking blog, many thanks!
Standing anxiously by.

FatMan
07-31-2011, 15:14
Per the Weather Channel's radar map, there's a building thunderstorm headed toward Springer. Hope she beats it and everyone gets out of there safely.Honesty, some of the comments posted here are ridiculous. I do not know what the weather channel is reporting but there are no building thunderstorms near Springer. Any rain in the area is west or heading south of Springer. At worst, Springer may get a light sprinkle within the next couple of hours, but that is unlikely. I can tell you that as I look out the window 18 miles from Springer the skies are clear with plenty of sunshine.

FatMan
07-31-2011, 15:16
Sorry, regarding my post above I see Sly beat me to it.

Driver8
07-31-2011, 15:33
Of all things, there's a line of thunderstorms from near Cleveland across to Dahlonega, then a good-sized gap, then the small cell near Jasper, per updated weather.com radar map. Her good weather karma is holding nicely!

Sierra Echo
07-31-2011, 15:34
Comes with the territory. A star is born.

I would turn around and walk in the other direction! LOL

Red Hat
07-31-2011, 15:38
I would turn around and walk in the other direction! LOL

Nope, I don't see a yoyo in the future for her.... and I don't see one in your future either, dear SE....

matthew.d.kirk
07-31-2011, 15:49
approx. 20 minutes ago...

ChinMusic
07-31-2011, 15:49
This is killing me. Ain't anybody got Verizon?

HiKen2011
07-31-2011, 15:50
This is killing me. Ain't anybody got Verizon?

I was thinking the same thing!

matthew.d.kirk
07-31-2011, 15:51

so I'd put that at 3:30 PM (?)

Sly
07-31-2011, 15:51
Today 15:49

Done

That would be 3:30?

Red Hat
07-31-2011, 15:54
approx. 20 minutes ago... Thanks Matthew!! Congrats to Jenn! Well done!

Sly
07-31-2011, 15:54
so I'd put that at 3:30 PM (?)

Yup, torn it up the second half of today. Kludos to Jennifer Pharr Davis. Very well done!

ChinMusic
07-31-2011, 15:55
I think I need a nap.............

Driver8
07-31-2011, 15:56
Just saw a tweet from Chin_Music which said "early reports" have her finishing at 3:20 pm. If so, congrats, Jen!

FatMan
07-31-2011, 15:57
She might not be in the mood to be stalked by a bunch of people today. Especially people she doesn't know.

Comes with the territory. A star is born.

I would turn around and walk in the other direction! LOLSadly, her accomplishment is apparently not well followed or known outside of WB and other hiker sites. This morning on the trail we only saw two women backpacking from Springer to Woody and when I asked if they knew who just passed them they had no clue. When I told them it was a soon to be world record holder they were very impressed, but confessed that they had no idea who she was or what she was doing. I kind of expected there to be some folks following the support team but they were alone waiting her arrival at Gooch Gap as we walked by.

Maybe (I hope) Jen received a warmer reception the closer she got to Springer.

Congratulations on her wonderful accomplishment.

Sierra Echo
07-31-2011, 15:59
Nope, I don't see a yoyo in the future for her.... and I don't see one in your future either, dear SE....

Thats so cryptic!

Sierra Echo
07-31-2011, 16:04
Sadly, her accomplishment is apparently not well followed or known outside of WB and other hiker sites. This morning on the trail we only saw two women backpacking from Springer to Woody and when I asked if they knew who just passed them they had no clue. When I told them it was a soon to be world record holder they were very impressed, but confessed that they had no idea who she was or what she was doing. I kind of expected there to be some folks following the support team but they were alone waiting her arrival at Gooch Gap as we walked by.

Maybe (I hope) Jen received a warmer reception the closer she got to Springer.

Congratulations on her wonderful accomplishment.

No I'm saying that if there was a group of people waiting and cheering for me, I would turn around and walk off in another direction.

Red Hat
07-31-2011, 16:06
If I had been in GA, I'd have been up before dawn to see her at Neel Gap, then drive around to catch her at Woody, then at Gooch, and finally at Springer... but that's all "if", cause I'm sitting here in Texas cheering for her long distance.

Blissful
07-31-2011, 16:08
Congratulations to Jenn and also her hubby who really did it with her

ChinMusic
07-31-2011, 16:13
If I had been in GA, I'd have been up before dawn to see her at Neel Gap, then drive around to catch her at Woody, then at Gooch, and finally at Springer... but that's all "if", cause I'm sitting here in Texas cheering for her long distance.

Similar.

I hope some of us did just that.

Trillium
07-31-2011, 16:19
Congratulations to Jenn. A great Olympic athlete of which there will be no Olympic accolades. We should play the National Anthem for you anyway. :)I'm down with that. I'd even be willing to sing it.

FatMan
07-31-2011, 16:26
I'm down with that. I'd even be willing to sing it.I'm going to do one better. Right after the Braves lose in a few minutes I'm heading to the porch to have an ice cold brew, an Arturo Fuente Hemingway cigar, and I'll hum a few bars of the National Anthem all in her honor.:D

HiKen2011
07-31-2011, 16:30
I'm going to do one better. Right after the Braves lose in a few minutes I'm heading to the porch to have an ice cold brew, an Arturo Fuente Hemingway cigar, and I'll hum a few bars of the National Anthem all in her honor.:D

Youtube it!:)

jbwood5
07-31-2011, 16:31
This has been a very enjoyable and interesting thread and blog (Jen's). Thanks to everyone for the updates and congratualations to Jen and her crew.

DaveSail
07-31-2011, 16:38
Earlier , just before the finish , I sent E - Mails about her World Record to both the Sports and Normal ABC News .
I have no idea if anyone reads E - Mails on Sundays !! David V. Webber

Blissful
07-31-2011, 16:48
Hope they have a publicist, they'll need it.

Sly
07-31-2011, 16:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFKei3U_wu8&feature=related

OK, it's not Jimi Hendrix but it's till pretty good.

Red Hat
07-31-2011, 17:00
no, Sly, you can't even tell it's the Star Spangled Banner.... she would probably like something a little more conservative, maybe even country, like Reba or Alan Jackson singing it

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF2hj2kND68

Blissful
07-31-2011, 17:06
http://youtu.be/lX91X05Hy1o

Skidsteer
07-31-2011, 17:13
Jen finished this afternoon at 3:25.

Amazing athlete, very emotional finish.

Between 30 and 40 people were on Springer to watch and cheer.

Hutch
07-31-2011, 17:24
Congrats to Jenn and her crew !!!!!

Thanks to all those on WB for keeping the info and updates coming !!!!

Sly
07-31-2011, 17:26
no, Sly, you can't even tell it's the Star Spangled Banner.... she would probably like something a little more conservative, maybe even country, like Reba or Alan Jackson singing it

How about Rene Rancourt? Watch the Boston fans cheer Jennifer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGwNHomGjk

Sly
07-31-2011, 17:32
Hmmm... I prefer the two versions I picked. The other two were a little... um, tame.

DaveSail
07-31-2011, 17:37
Just now , ( about 5:30 PM , ) I phoned our local ABC New Hot - Line . [ Channel 6 , in the Philadelphia area . ]
The lady sounded quite interested . I told her to get details here , or AT Headquarters . David V. Webber

Chatter98
07-31-2011, 18:09
I got to the parking lot from Hawk Mountain this afternoon at 215 and all her friends and family were there. Very full parking lot. At 3:05 saw her pop out of the woods and walk to the final mile of the journey. Seemed like only friends and family were included in the celebration, but I was too pooped to walk another step. I was surprised when I got to Three Forks this morning to see a scraggly white bearded man sitting next to the bridge. He asked me if I saw anybody coming this way and I told him no. A short bit of discussion later, it was established that i\t was Pharr that he was waiting for and after a 60 mile hike yesterday was set to beat the record by at least a day.

Funny thing was, I did not realize who this was. I took my place on a log, pulled out tuna salad with crackers, snack wienies, a snickers, gorp and cheese crackers and commenced to eat my meal and leave the guy alone as he seemed like he really did not want to talk. Eventually some guys pulled in to drop off the gallon of water. One of them looks at the river and states it looks pretty clean, but he would still filter it anyways. The bearded man with the green shirt with a blaze on it looks at him and says, I never treated water and in any of my 36000 miles. I realized the number and I said to him, you have hiked the At a couple of times I assume, What was your trail name? He smirked a little and just said never needed or had one in 19 thru hikes, I am Doyle.

Trillium
07-31-2011, 18:18
I got to the parking lot from Hawk Mountain this afternoon at 215 and all her friends and family were there. Very full parking lot. At 3:05 saw her pop out of the woods and walk to the final mile of the journey. Seemed like only friends and family were included in the celebration, but I was too pooped to walk another step. I was surprised when I got to Three Forks this morning to see a scraggly white bearded man sitting next to the bridge. He asked me if I saw anybody coming this way and I told him no. A short bit of discussion later, it was established that i\t was Pharr that he was waiting for and after a 60 mile hike yesterday was set to beat the record by at least a day.

Funny thing was, I did not realize who this was. I took my place on a log, pulled out tuna salad with crackers, snack wienies, a snickers, gorp and cheese crackers and commenced to eat my meal and leave the guy alone as he seemed like he really did not want to talk. Eventually some guys pulled in to drop off the gallon of water. One of them looks at the river and states it looks pretty clean, but he would still filter it anyways. The bearded man with the green shirt with a blaze on it looks at him and says, I never treated water and in any of my 36000 miles. I realized the number and I said to him, you have hiked the At a couple of times I assume, What was your trail name? He smirked a little and just said never needed or had one in 19 thru hikes, I am Doyle.can't wait to read the comments on this post. :rolleyes: don't get me wrong Chatter 98, not your post but who you had run into.

Pilgrim67
07-31-2011, 18:31
I loved the thread on Warren. He played a key role in helping Jen train for this epic effort. I hiked with Warren last summer. He is a trail purist. He was very kind to me as I was way slower than Warren. But he would patiently wait until I caught up and so we covered 15 miles in the Maine woods (he was really there to manage his thru hike caravan. Anyway, along the way he shoed me his AT book which was a piece of note paper with very small writing covering most of both sides. He is very important to the Jen story. If you have not been following Brew's blogs, please take a look. They are excellent. There is a B&W picture of Jen that truly captures her intensity and purpose. Her web site is blueridgehikingco.com.

Skidsteer
07-31-2011, 19:12
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn Pharr-Davis Finish at Springer/th_IMG_1288.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn Pharr-Davis Finish at Springer/?action=view&current=IMG_1288.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn Pharr-Davis Finish at Springer/th_IMG_1290.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn Pharr-Davis Finish at Springer/?action=view&current=IMG_1290.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn Pharr-Davis Finish at Springer/th_IMG_1295.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn Pharr-Davis Finish at Springer/?action=view&current=IMG_1295.jpg)

atmilkman
07-31-2011, 19:13
13366the official time according to Jenn is 3:26

bobqzzi
07-31-2011, 19:21
Pharr out!!! Congratulations Jenn!

jersey joe
07-31-2011, 19:26
Great Job Jen! The record is yours!!!
I wonder what she does when she wakes up tomorrow...I wonder if the body requires a cool down process after such an endeavor. Like hiking 10 miles for the next week or so.
I'd imagine she will be doing a lot of press events in the coming weeks.

Red Hat
07-31-2011, 19:38
skids, great pics! you should post them on facebook. Also, Blissful was hoping for a pic to use on her blog.

Chatter98, sounds exactly like Warren. My first miles on the AT were with him back in 2003 when I took his ATI course. Jenn took the same course a year or so later. Glad to count them both as friends. By the way, Warren would have posted the updates for himself, but he was banned from this forum some time back... I was happy to copy and paste the info he placed on facebook.

Skidsteer
07-31-2011, 19:39
For what it's worth, she didn't even look close to the breaking point physicallly. She could use a sammich or two, sure, but she didn't look on the ragged edge by any stretch.

Amazing athlete.

Wombat Farm
07-31-2011, 19:43
Good for you Jenn! An amazing accomplishment.

Lone Wolf
07-31-2011, 19:45
For what it's worth, she didn't even look close to the breaking point physicallly. She could use a sammich or two, sure, but she didn't look on the ragged edge by any stretch.

Amazing athlete.i'm not surprised at all. i've crewed folks like her. they're a different breed. especially women. they're tougher mentally and physically in the long haul. i would like to see more ladies go for the record. they just don't have testosterone and huge egos :sun karl will get the record next though. barring no injuries

you done damn good JPD!:cool:

atmilkman
07-31-2011, 19:54

Blissful
07-31-2011, 19:56
I used ATmilkman's pic. I blogged also how I met Jenn in 2006 before my 2007 NOBO hike and in the most interesting of places. She greatly encouraged me to go for it. Which I did - twice. Thanks, Jenn.

Carl in FL
07-31-2011, 19:59
Chatter98, sounds exactly like Warren. My first miles on the AT were with him back in 2003 when I took his ATI course. Jenn took the same course a year or so later. Glad to count them both as friends. By the way, Warren would have posted the updates for himself, but he was banned from this forum some time back... I was happy to copy and paste the info he placed on facebook.

I'm confused. Is this the same Warren Doyle that posted here as recently as the 25th?

WingedMonkey
07-31-2011, 20:00

Amazing athlete.

Great album Skids. Does look strange to see so many fat people on Springer next to her.

:sun

Skidsteer
07-31-2011, 20:14
Great album Skids. Does look strange to see so many fat people on Springer next to her.

Right?

Made me feel skinny. :D

Speer Carrier
07-31-2011, 20:44
I think atmilkman's photos tell a lot about Jennifer. As she approaches the Springer marker, she is holding hands with her husband (I guess it's her husband), in effect, sharing this moment with him. I think most guys would have strode in with an ego as big as the world saying look at me. She certainly is a different breed.

Lone Wolf
07-31-2011, 20:48
I think atmilkman's photos tell a lot about Jennifer. As she approaches the Springer marker, she is holding hands with her husband (I guess it's her husband), in effect, sharing this moment with him. I think most guys would have strode in with an ego as big as the world saying look at me. She certainly is a different breed.i hope this inspires more women to try a feat like this. gender means nothing when it comes to these long distance, multi-week endeavours.

atmilkman
07-31-2011, 21:05
Those were her exact words.

atmilkman
07-31-2011, 21:10
I was thinking the same thing! hope this works forgive me everyone those were her exact words

MuddyWaters
07-31-2011, 21:54
I dont know her, and never heard of her until 2 wks ago, when I read "Becoming Odyssa". I put that book off for a long time because it was a "chick book". But I found it to be excellent, better than most AT books. Jen doesnt just tell her tale in it, but lets you see inside her heart, and she is a beautiful person. Was surprised to stumble across her record attempt about 1.5 weeks ago, and read what she had accomplished since her first thru hike. Never had any doubt she would suceed, and couldnt be happier for her, even if I knew her. She rocks.

ChinMusic
07-31-2011, 22:10
Does look strange to see so many fat people on Springer next to her.

Good thing it wasn't a NOBO

J5man
07-31-2011, 22:11
Jen, congratulations on your awesome accomplishment!

Sly
07-31-2011, 22:14
Good thing it wasn't a NOBO

Good point, not many would have time to get down from the mountain. That is, if they could make it up.

NotYet
07-31-2011, 22:24
What a great day! It was very nice meeting so many wonderful people who gathered to celebrate this amazing accomplishment!!!

Driver8
07-31-2011, 22:49
Awesome pics, Milkman and Skidsteer. Thank you both for sharing them. :)

Driver8
07-31-2011, 23:01
i hope this inspires more women to try a feat like this. gender means nothing when it comes to these long distance, multi-week endeavours.

I wonder if being female might not even confer an advantage. It definitely has been shown to in long-distance swimming. Women carry less weight on their frame than men, certainly slim women like Jen do.

Jen would appear to be the prototype for a great long-distance hiker - slender and somewhat tall with relatively lonh legs. She's somewhat of a greyhound among humans.

Does anyone know if any of the Tarahumara have attempted a super-long-distance record such as this? They're legendary, in large part thanks to Chris McDougall's Born to Run, for their ability to run for days on end, covering 100+ miles. It would be interesting to see what one of them could do with the AT fully supported as was Jen. It might not be their bag - they might like what they do, 100-150 miles in a day or two, then rest, so much that they wouldn't enjoy 2200 in 40+. One would think they'd reckon well with the White Mountains, however, given how rugged the Copper Canyons are.

Red Hat
07-31-2011, 23:59
I'm confused. Is this the same Warren Doyle that posted here as recently as the 25th?

Yes, Carl, he can post on White Blaze but was banned from posting on the Speed Hiking Forum. But this thread isn't about Warren, although he played a vital part in her team, it is about Jenn.

Driver8
08-01-2011, 01:21
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/sports/hiker-breaks-record-on-appalachian-trail.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_AP_LI_LST_FB
(http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/sports/hiker-breaks-record-on-appalachian-trail.html?_r=1&src=ISMR_AP_LI_LST_FB)

Skidsteer
08-01-2011, 08:03
Jenn Pharr Davis and Husband Brew tag the plaque on Springer Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BplLojDwp0c&feature=player_profilepage

The Solemates
08-01-2011, 08:46
nice! now whats next? :)

sonic
08-01-2011, 09:14

I'ms sure Jen has lots to do now. The question is, what do WE do?:-?

Mountain Maiden
08-01-2011, 09:17

LOL-- This month she will be leading a 3.5 mile Hike around Hot Springs for an event from OUR STATE magazine. Kind of anti-climatic, don't you think? Jen's the BEST in so many ways! So proud to know her.

vamelungeon
08-01-2011, 09:52
They just mentioned her on Headline News, and showed some images of her on the trail and at the finish.

mudhead
08-01-2011, 10:07

And how long was the second shower?

I bet she puts on the feedbag hard.

The Solemates
08-01-2011, 10:23
and third, and fourth :)

i remember several times on our thru when i would stay in the shower upwards of an hour - well past when the hot water had stopped

Carl in FL
08-01-2011, 10:45
Congratulations Jennifer on setting a new Supported AT Speed Record.
I am confident someone will eventually post here to tell us what it is.

ChinMusic
08-01-2011, 10:48
I am confident someone will eventually post here to tell us what it is.
I thought it had been posted.

‎46 days, 11 hrs, 20 min

Carl in FL
08-01-2011, 11:39
Thanks!! Added length

ChinMusic
08-01-2011, 11:46
I wonder what she does when she wakes up tomorrow...I wonder if the body requires a cool down process after such an endeavor. Like hiking 10 miles for the next week or so.

Good question. I hope someone like Karl could chime in on this.

Is it healthy to stop cold turkey or would she need to wind down over a few days?

Sly
08-01-2011, 13:14
Has anyone added up the hours Jen hiked? It would be interesting to see how fast, per hour, she actually hiked.

Blissful
08-01-2011, 13:46

Is it healthy to stop cold turkey or would she need to wind down over a few days?

I'd think with that much endurance that leg cramps will be a huge issue in a few days. And she'll be riding high with interviews for a time but there will probably be a let-down period when things quiet down.

ChinMusic
08-01-2011, 14:16
Just saw the piece on CNN Headline News. I thought they did a good job of it. I especially liked the final quip, "I guess she really WAS on the Appalachian Trail........"

Sly
08-01-2011, 14:53
Just saw the piece on CNN Headline News. I thought they did a good job of it. I especially liked the final quip, "I guess she really WAS on the Appalachian Trail........"

LOL... sounds like a reference to Bryson.

John B
08-01-2011, 15:00
LOL... sounds like a reference to Bryson.

Well, I guess it could be, but my money would be that it was in reference to Governor Mark Sanford, who told his staff that he was hiking the AT when in actuality he was boinking his girlfriend. I'd expect far more CNN viewers to recall who Sanford was and what he did than to know about Bill Bryson.

Sly
08-01-2011, 15:09
Well, I guess it could be, but my money would be that it was in reference to Governor Mark Sanford, who told his staff that he was hiking the AT when in actuality he was boinking his girlfriend. I'd expect far more CNN viewers to recall who Sanford was and what he did than to know about Bill Bryson.

Right, forget, that makes more sense.

Carl in FL
08-01-2011, 15:19
Boinking? Sounds sorta like a Trail town.

Boinking, TN -- hostel, grocery, misc entertainment.

ChinMusic
08-01-2011, 16:04
Boinking? Sounds sorta like a Trail town.

Boinking, TN -- hostel, grocery, misc entertainment.

They are much more clinical in PA.........

WingedMonkey
08-01-2011, 16:11
About time to close this thread. It's rambling all over the place. Put away your pencils and put on your hiking shoes.

Sly
08-01-2011, 16:24
Generally when people are tired of a thread they leave it. What's with people asking to close a thread? If the mods do close a thread they tend to get a bad rap for censure.

Mags
08-01-2011, 17:00
About time to close this thread. It's rambling all over the place. Put away your pencils and put on your hiking shoes.

Why? It is not off-topic and the banter is civil. I only (personally) close a thread when it is really nasty and/or off-topic (cf. the snow cave dude. It was no longer a speed hike)

Remember, you are not being forced to read the thread. :)

Now that the attempt is over, the thread will peter out on its own.

And, may I also add, Excellent job Jenn! :)

Buffalo Skipper
08-01-2011, 17:08
Is there an online link to the HLN story? I have been searching for it but cannot find it on the HLN site.

The Walker
08-01-2011, 17:11
Sly,

Jennifer averaged almost exactly 3.0 miles per hour from her starting time to ending time each day. 15-16.5 hours to do 45-50 miles. If you figure in the short breaks she took after sections of trail, she probably hiked 3.2 miles per hour on a consistent basis. And she was CONSISTENT. I would assume that the dry weather was a factor in keeping her spirits real high, reducing greatly any blister issues, and not forcing her to endure slower hiking and longer hours to get in the desired mileage.

http://www.jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com has the start and end times each day.

Sierra Echo
08-01-2011, 17:23
I know this is a tad off topic. But with all the talk about mph and how many hours and many miles hiked, it made me think of the story by Stephen King called the Long Walk. Has anyone ever read that?

ChinMusic
08-01-2011, 17:51
Jennifer averaged almost exactly 3.0 miles per hour from her starting time to ending time each day. 15-16.5 hours to do 45-50 miles.
A great tortoise vs hare strategy. She chose time over speed and won.

Just a great story all around.

tdoczi
08-01-2011, 17:52
I know this is a tad off topic. But with all the talk about mph and how many hours and many miles hiked, it made me think of the story by Stephen King called the Long Walk. Has anyone ever read that?

one of my favorites! back when king could actually write... should have never stopped using cocaine. its amazing how chilling a line is that out of context seems so banal.. "They were forty miles from Boston."

Sierra Echo
08-01-2011, 17:55
one of my favorites! back when king could actually write... should have never stopped using cocaine. its amazing how chilling a line is that out of context seems so banal.. "They were forty miles from Boston."

Or the sign that said "Only 103 miles to New Hampshire, you can do it!"

Night Fox
08-01-2011, 18:50
Some questions were asked regarding things like is there any other long distance hiking records held by women. Off the top of my head I know Sue Johnston held the John Muir trail trail record for two years and has been only bested by one man and that trail has seen many numerous attempts of a long time period. Charlotte Vasarhelyi holds the supported record for the Bruce Trail (http://trailrunner.ca/home/?p=1163)in Eastern Canada which is nearly 900km long and not too long ago Sheryl Wheeler set a new best time for the NPT trail in the ADK of NY that covers 133 miles.

People have also made mention of how perfect Jenn's frame and body seems to be for this type of thing and how she is young and in "her Prime". Sue was 40+, Sheryl is almost 50 and Charlotte is hardly over 5' tall, but like Jenn seems to be mostly made of heart and legs. I actually remembered something Charlotte said while were running together in a race by one of the daily updates, Brew wrote. It was when he mentioned how, Jenn said to the guy don't worry if you're slow I'll drop you..we had done something like 50+ miles together and at one point I could see her struggling and I (doing the playful flirting guy thing) said, "hey, that isn't running!" and she replied, "hey, don't make fun or I'll drop your ass'! I think I wanted to get down on one knee right then..:) My kinda girl for sure.

These women put it out there about what they did but really it would be better if it had been promoted more afterward. If most on a board like this don't know about these kinds of things, well who would. So I hope that, Jenn gets all the press and coverage she can handle because I'm sure with the bright shining light she seems to be carrying that there will be more women and men who will remember to try and live and to never take our health and what we can do with it for granted.

Sly
08-01-2011, 20:14
Sly,

Jennifer averaged almost exactly 3.0 miles per hour from her starting time to ending time each day. 15-16.5 hours to do 45-50 miles. If you figure in the short breaks she took after sections of trail, she probably hiked 3.2 miles per hour on a consistent basis. And she was CONSISTENT. I would assume that the dry weather was a factor in keeping her spirits real high, reducing greatly any blister issues, and not forcing her to endure slower hiking and longer hours to get in the desired mileage.

http://www.jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com has the start and end times each day.

Thanks, I figured it was close to that.

I think it's kind of funny when people go, "it's not my style, I like to take my time and smell the roses". Many, if not most, can average 2 mph with a backpack on with a little conditioning. She only travels 1 mph faster, just over a longer period of time. Point being you can smell the roses just as well at 3 mpg, as one can 2mph. She just smells more in a day than any other.

Skidsteer
08-01-2011, 20:17
Thanks, I figured it was close to that.

I think it's kind of funny when people go, "it's not my style, I like to take my time and smell the roses". Many, if not most, can average 2 mph with a backpack on with a little conditioning. She only travels 1 mph faster, just over a longer period of time. Point being you can smell the roses just as well at 3 mpg, as one can 2mph. She just smells more in a day than any other.

And sees a lot of wildlife which makes sense. The animals are active at dusk and dawn when most hikers are in a shelter.

Mags
08-01-2011, 20:24
it's not my style, I like to take my time and smell the roses".

Usually code phrase for "Get out of camp at 9am, have a long lunch break, be in camp by 5pm and then spend a lot of time in towns"

:D

Meriadoc
08-01-2011, 20:28
Such a fantastic and inspiring journey. Kudos to Jennifer, her husband, and her crew!

Sly
08-01-2011, 22:13
And sees a lot of wildlife which makes sense. The animals are active at dusk and dawn when most hikers are in a shelter.

... sleeping. And if they're awake, it's not roses they're smelling!

fiddlehead
08-01-2011, 22:31
Congratulations to Jennifer and her crew.
Well done!
It's been a real pleasure following the whole hike.

Yes, most hikers tend to be in their tents or shelter when the light is best and animals are moving.
I much prefer the 4 am starts and 10 PM finishes (and now, sometimes a nap in the early afternoon)

Trailbender
08-02-2011, 10:22

My favorite is the Dark Tower series and The Stand. I honestly can't say that I read a book by him that wasn't good.

tdoczi
08-02-2011, 12:27
My favorite is the Dark Tower series and The Stand. I honestly can't say that I read a book by him that wasn't good.

have you read rose madder? or insomnia? even the man himself says those books were failures. he was flawless through misery, has been up and down but progressively spottier as the years have progressed since. and the way he keeps retreading ideas. no author needs 2 haunted car novels or several books and stories featuring artists who can impact the real world with their art. hes lost steam. and under the dome is just nonsense. that said, i thought lisey's story was great so he hasnt lost all capability.

Blue Jay
08-02-2011, 13:10
have you read rose madder? or insomnia? even the man himself says those books were failures. he was flawless through misery, has been up and down but progressively spottier as the years have progressed since. and the way he keeps retreading ideas. no author needs 2 haunted car novels or several books and stories featuring artists who can impact the real world with their art. hes lost steam. and under the dome is just nonsense. that said, i thought lisey's story was great so he hasnt lost all capability.

This is soooo White Blaze, she finishes an amazing race and a Stephen King review breaks out. I love this site.

hikerboy57
08-02-2011, 13:33
lets not forget the girl who loved tom gordon.nothing like fear in the maine woods.
Congrsts Jen.

Carl in FL
08-02-2011, 14:20
This is soooo White Blaze, she finishes an amazing race and a Stephen King review breaks out. I love this site.

It's one way to cope with the stress of such positive news.

WingedMonkey
08-02-2011, 14:30
Way to go Jen.

You hiked on the Appalachian Trail from Katahdin to Springer. You didn't quit when you were sore, you didn't quit when you were sick or injured. You didn't stop because it was too hot or too cold or too wet. You didn't yellow blaze or walk the Parkway. You didn't blue blaze on Mah-Har Trail, you stayed on the AT. You didn't skip the parts you didn't like.

Congratulations on your successful Thru-Hike.

Sierra Echo
08-02-2011, 14:48

Gerald's Game was horrible. I couldn't even finish it.

vamelungeon
08-02-2011, 15:08
I am completely in awe of Jennifer Pharr Davis. What an icredible accomplishment!

Buffalo Skipper
08-02-2011, 15:32
Check out her website-blog. They just did a final update of the last 2 days to explain how it all finished.

Well done, Jenn!

I guess if I could ask Jenn one question (in light of the most recent postes), it would be what is her favorite King novel?

SouthMark
08-02-2011, 17:34
I got my blood pressure up a little by a post over on BPL about her accomplishment. This is only a small excerpt from two of his posts attempting to belittle what she has done:

"But with the kind of support she received, a similar hike is within reach of a large number of people. Just need the time and money to pull it off."

Pedaling Fool
08-02-2011, 17:38
I got my blood pressure up a little by a post over on BPL about her accomplishment. This is only a small excerpt from two of his posts attempting to belittle what she has done:

"But with the kind of support she received, a similar hike is within reach of a large number of people. Just need the time and money to pull it off."
A telltale sign of either a clueless cyber-hiker or someone that feels threatened by her accomplishment.

Chatter98
08-02-2011, 17:39
I was at the Springer Mountain parking lot,drying off and getting ready to go home, just sitting there when her husband started to blare the music and they embraced and she cried. It was such a private moment I ended up averting my eyes to let them have it in private. I only turned back around when it got quit and she was looking for the continuation of the blazes. I pointed it out and watched he begin the climb up Springer, don't know if she heard my congratulations. She obviously was feeling the end in great spirits and it was her moment.

bobqzzi
08-02-2011, 17:50

That is hysterical.

SouthMark
08-02-2011, 18:01
Some people attempt to make their light shine brighter by dimming someone else's.

Sly
08-02-2011, 18:10

A telltale sign of either a clueless cyber-hiker or someone that feels threatened by her accomplishment.

I couldn't resist and had to reply.

Night Fox
08-02-2011, 19:04
Here is a perfect example of the kind of affect I hope this has:

First thing at work today I had a 26 year old African American male come up to me and started asking me if I heard abou this girl who set a record on the AT (he said in Georgia). Kid has lived in the city his whole life, was blown away by what he saw on the news and the things I told him. I already have him riding a bike to work (9 miles) a few times a week and now he asked if there were any trails nearby I knew of. Said he saw it he thinks on HLN.

Jenn, has the "if she can do it I should be atleast able to do x" thing about her for sure. That fact that we know how incredible she is doesn't matter. She with her look can inspire everyone at every level male or female. It seems less "superhuman" and more normal to the average onlooker so they think it is more conceivable that they could do atleast a fraction of such a thing. She couldn't look more wholesome unless she wore a sundress, had ruby slippers and carried a little dog.

On another note taking the obvious that many people at her finish were friends and family some here should think about there description of that scene maybe since it seems obvious that Jenn would eventually get around to reading this thread.

Skidsteer
08-02-2011, 19:14

Unbelievable.

I went over to reply and after reading the entire post I'm just unable to respond appropriately or with civility.

WingedMonkey
08-02-2011, 19:20
She couldn't look more wholesome unless she wore a sundress, had ruby slippers and carried a little dog.

I can't imagine her wearing that on the AT, maybe at Trail Days it would fit right in. Maybe walking in the parade with an 26 year old African American. Then all the fat people could squirt them with the water cannons.

:p

Bearpaw
08-02-2011, 19:23

Unbelievable.

I went over to reply and after reading the entire post I'm just unable to respond appropriately or with civility.

I gave up on BPL a few years ago. There can sometimes be some good info, but a lot of folks over there are clueless to the point that they can't begin to comprehend how clueless they are.

Carl in FL
08-02-2011, 19:28
OK, so it isn't the Boston Public Library. I found it anyway.

Basically, you have a bunch of gear heads at a loss to comment on her gear,
which was not the focus of her feat, so they are pretty much at a loss for
intelligent conversation. This reminds me of the music forum where there are
317 threads of Eric Clapton's guitars, and not even one on the talent of the
musician himself.

What. ever.

SouthMark
08-02-2011, 19:35
Yes I read your reply Sly. Thanks and very well done. I should have waited and thought about my reply instead of hurrying off a smarta$$ reply "Yeah, Nick and when is your start date?"

Sly
08-02-2011, 19:50
OK, so it isn't the Boston Public Library. I found it anyway.

I would have posted a link to the thread but it didn't look like the url was thread specific.

Yes I read your reply Sly. Thanks and very well done. I should have waited and thought about my reply instead of hurrying off a smarta$$ reply "Yeah, Nick and when is your start date?"

Nothing wrong with that. Half of my posts/replies are probably along a similar vein. ;)

Skidsteer
08-02-2011, 20:01

You did good. That was the only halfway civil thing I could think of to say and since you'd already said it, I didn't bother.

Sly
08-02-2011, 20:06
You did good. That was the only halfway civil thing I could think of to say and since you'd already said it, I didn't bother.

The guy was a big Andrew Srurka fan, which I am too, but it's two different things, each with there own level of skill and intensity. While Andrew can do 5000 mile treks with a pack in a short amount of time, he may not be suited to break established trail speed records. I suppose if any one has a chance to break Jen's record, it may be Andrew.

Skidsteer
08-02-2011, 20:18
The guy was a big Andrew Srurka fan, which I am too, but it's two different things, each with there own level of skill and intensity. While Andrew can do 5000 mile treks with a pack in a short amount of time, he may not be suited to break established trail speed records. I suppose if any one has a chance to break Jen's record, it may be Andrew.

Exactly.

Andrew may be able to do it or Karl may be able to do it or Squeaky may be able to do it or someone else may do it but right now Jennifer Pharr Davis is the man. :D

Sly
08-02-2011, 20:25
but right now jennifer pharr davis is the man.

LOL.....

argh. smilies suck. how do you make the big grin?

Blissful
08-02-2011, 20:40
What forum and thread is it under? I'm not a member but it looks like nonmembers can read it. You've got me curious.

Carl in FL
08-02-2011, 20:44
Try this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51425&skip_to_post=434841#434841

Skidsteer
08-02-2011, 20:54
LOL.....

argh. smilies suck. how do you make the big grin?

Gotta go advanced and even then it takes a while for the smiley to load.

Don't get me started about the upgrade.

tdoczi
08-02-2011, 22:56
Gerald's Game was horrible. I couldn't even finish it.

cause it was bad like literally bad or you just couldnt take it anymore? because the latter i would agree with, but thats what makes it good : ) ive talked to more than one person who just had to stop or really force themselves to finish.

Sierra Echo
08-02-2011, 23:05
cause it was bad like literally bad or you just couldnt take it anymore? because the latter i would agree with, but thats what makes it good : ) ive talked to more than one person who just had to stop or really force themselves to finish.

It was boring!!!! Maybe I never got to the good parts, I dunno!

tdoczi
08-02-2011, 23:28
It was boring!!!! Maybe I never got to the good parts, I dunno!

how she finally gets herself out is unbearably intense. it really is hard to read.

Trailbender
08-03-2011, 00:41
It's been awhile since I read it, but I thought it was pretty good. I have probably read thousands of books so far, love to read.

SouthMark
08-03-2011, 20:49
I gave up on BPL a few years ago. There can sometimes be some good info, but a lot of folks over there are clueless to the point that they can't begin to comprehend how clueless they are.

Bearpaw, I tried to stay out of the fray over on BPL but the attacks continue. I just had to borrow your quote "Some folks are clueless to the point that the can't begin to comprehend how clueless they are". Pretty much describes what is going on over there.

Sierra Echo
08-03-2011, 20:52
how she finally gets herself out is unbearably intense. it really is hard to read.

Mind you I started reading it when it first came out and that was many years ago. All I really remember is she was tied up and her husband dead and she was worried about some dogs and the fact that the door could be open. I *think*. Maybe I should try it again one day.

Sierra Echo
08-03-2011, 20:52
It's been awhile since I read it, but I thought it was pretty good. I have probably read thousands of books so far, love to read.

Same here. I own hundreds of books. All horror and westerns.

Lone Wolf
08-03-2011, 20:58
Bearpaw, I tried to stay out of the fray over on BPL but the attacks continue. I just had to borrow your quote "Some folks are clueless to the point that the can't begin to comprehend how clueless they are". Pretty much describes what is going on over there.what is BPL? buncha weenie go-liters or somethin'?

Carl in FL
08-03-2011, 21:09
I Googled BPL and it's a lot of things.
I am pretty sure I posted a link here though.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51425

Bearpaw
08-03-2011, 21:10
what is BPL? buncha weenie go-liters or somethin'?

An ultralight site that has good info on the lightest gear available, endlessly discussed by folks who rarely use it. And lots of information passed on from Sierras hikers that works well there, but could get you killed on the AT in March.

They thought Coup Couponas (one founder of GoLite) starting at Springer with over 100 pounds of food to see how far he could go without resupply was an awesome idea. He took close to a week to get to Neel Gap, then got off the trail.

Marta
08-03-2011, 21:13
I got my blood pressure up a little by a post over on BPL about her accomplishment. This is only a small excerpt from two of his posts attempting to belittle what she has done:"But with the kind of support she received, a similar hike is within reach of a large number of people. Just need the time and money to pull it off."Thanks for posting this. I needed a good laugh. I would love to know what the writer's definition of "a large number of people" is? Three? Has the writer ever hiked one 50-mile day?

Lone Wolf
08-03-2011, 21:17
An ultralight site that has good info on the lightest gear available, endlessly discussed by folks who rarely use it. And lots of information passed on from Sierras hikers that works well there, but could get you killed on the AT in March.

They thought Coup Couponas (one founder of GoLite) starting at Springer with over 100 pounds of food to see how far he could go without resupply was an awesome idea. He took close to a week to get to Neel Gap, then got off the trail.kinda what i thought. clueless geek wannabe backpackers. i'm over 50 with half a heart that works and can hump 40lbs at 3mph still. BPL this!

SouthMark
08-03-2011, 21:38
An ultralight site that has good info on the lightest gear available, endlessly discussed by folks who rarely use it.

Probably why there is always good deals on new and almost new gear there. The main reason I visit it and for info on the JMT.

Sly
08-03-2011, 23:43
They thought Coup Couponas (one founder of GoLite) starting at Springer with over 100 pounds of food to see how far he could go without resupply was an awesome idea. He took close to a week to get to Neel Gap, then got off the trail.

I fairness to Coup he did hike the JMT, the CT and the LT aka Triple Gem "alpine style" carrying all his food without needing resupply. IMO, it kind of silly to pass a perfectly good resupply, especially when it's directly on trail, but it was still a cool feat, that I don't think has been repeated.

Bearpaw
08-03-2011, 23:49
I fairness to Coup he did hike the JMT, the CT and the LT aka Triple Gem "alpine style" carrying all his food without needing resupply. IMO, it kind of silly to pass a perfectly good resupply, especially when it that's directly on trail, but it was still a cool feat.

No argument there. His Colorado Trail thru-hike with no resupply was extremely impressive. I read about it a fair bit before I thru-hiked the CT in '06.

But he took Ryan Jordan's strategy in use for relatively level Alaskan Tundra to see if he could match miles (over 500 IIRC). Except that Jordan and his peers started with about 60 pounds. Coup used one the many engineer inspired programs they love on BPL and applied it to calorie consumption and nearly double the amount of food he was carrying.

Which just happened to be up and down those "little" Georgia mountains. Compared to Maine and NH and NC, yes, they are short. But they are a lot steeper than most trails out west. BPL abounds with western disdain for the "little" mountains here in the east. Makes me wonder if Wild Cowboy was a BPL member.

jersey joe
08-05-2011, 11:45
From what I have found, these are the fastest times for thru hiking the AT supported.(updated)

1. Jennifer Pharr Davis: 46 days 11 hrs 20 min (2011)

2. Andrew Thompson: 47 days 13 hours 31 minutes (2005)

3. Pete Palmer: 48 days 20 hours 11 minutes (1999)

4. David Horton: 52 days 9 hours (1991)

5. Karl Meltzer: 54 days 21 hours 12 minutes (2008)

6. Scott Grierson: 55 days 20 hours 34 minutes (1991)

7. Jennifer Pharr Davis: 57 days 8 hours 35 minutes (2008) [women's record in 2008]

Red Hat
08-05-2011, 12:57
From what I have found, these are the fastest times for thru hiking the AT supported.(updated)

7. Jennifer Pharr Davis: 57 days 8 hours 35 minutes (2008) [women's record in 2008]

Thanks to Jersey Joe, for getting us back on topic!

Skidsteer
08-05-2011, 15:44

I wonder which Stephen King novel is their favorite? :p

ChinMusic
08-06-2011, 10:35
Expect to see Jennifer on the CBS Early Show Monday (or early in the week).

Sly
08-06-2011, 10:43

Is that a IMO? :D

ChinMusic
08-06-2011, 10:44
Is that a IMO? :D

No, it is based on the words of Brew Davis.

Red Hat
08-06-2011, 12:04

TIVO is set!

Karl Meltzer
08-06-2011, 13:59
She could become so fatigued that she tripped, slipped, or otherwise injured herself.

trust me, once she's gone that far, she is/was already fatigued, the autopilot was on.

Karl Meltzer
08-06-2011, 14:01
My record is simply my own 54 days, 21 hours, 12 minutes, so 5th fastest, not even close to all the others...hopefully next time though.

Sierra Echo
08-06-2011, 14:07
I wonder which Stephen King novel is their favorite? :p

They can borrow mine and find out, Bentley Little is now my favorite author!

Karl Meltzer
08-06-2011, 14:08
Yep... I'm free ballin' as I post this... How much more "unsupported" can you get???... BTW... Don't EVER include a Military reference to hiking... My son is a jumper with the USAF and is imbedded with 20 of the finest USMC in Iraq... Do you honestly think he gets his food/water/ F'N AMMO from some Iraq DB standing on the side of the road??? You need to get out of ur mums basement more... FYI... Internet hiking doesn't really count as hiking...

I guess Toli you win the award for being the Naysayer, there always is one, that's how the ball bounces. Jen ran/hiked, whatever you want to call it, 2181 miles very fast, whether she carried her own bottle or food is her own choice, because it was a "supported hike", that's what supported means.

Iraq is a bit different guy! c'mon think about it. Everyone who goes to Iraq to fight, protect or whatever is a hero, and wouldn't it be kinda dumb if they had a support crew to carry their guns. Dumb comparison, try again.

Karl Meltzer
08-06-2011, 14:18
Great Job Jen! The record is yours!!!
I'd imagine she will be doing a lot of press events in the coming weeks.

I met Jenn Friday at the Outdoor Retailer show here in Salt Lake City, we chatted a bit. She is a star. I couldn't get that big grin off her face, it was awesome.

Karl Meltzer
08-06-2011, 14:20

I didnt' run for 2 weeks, it felt good, as long as she moves around some, she'll be fine. I did eat alot!

Driver8
08-06-2011, 14:42
I met Jenn Friday at the Outdoor Retailer show here in Salt Lake City, we chatted a bit. She is a star. I couldn't get that big grin off her face, it was awesome.

I didnt' run for 2 weeks, it felt good, as long as she moves around some, she'll be fine. I did eat alot!

Thanks for checking in, Karl. I'm sure you went to school on how Jen and her crew planned and executed her hike. To my untrained eyes it looked pretty much like near ideal - I can only think of one time, in NY near the CT border, where a mistake by the crew cost Jen any time or significant inconvenience. That's superb.

It's awesome to hear Jen has that huge smile locked in. Well deserved. She is a star, for sure.

SouthMark
08-06-2011, 19:55
Seriously??? Tearing it up??? She's not even wearing a backpack, you know that thingy a hiker would wear on their back, prob one of the iconic things that sez you are a "Hiker"... And she has to be "handed" a water bottle??? She can't/doesn't even carry her own water??? She's "Hiking" the AT??? BS... Fake hike Jen, Fake hike... Oops, go Jen, go... I hate to say it, but even LW could do this with all her help...

Are you the one that stole Christmas?

sonic
08-07-2011, 20:17
Jen's Mom just posted an update on Facebook. The show will tape tomorrow and air on Tuesday morning.

bflorac
08-08-2011, 00:09
Supported/unsupported does not really matter. I don't know if any hiker who has not take some sort of help such as using a shelter vs carrying a tent, or staying at a hostel and getting a real meal or, even taking trail magic. I've see thru hikers with 18 lbs. packs (fully loaded) but I carry 40 lbs. does that make them less of a hiker than me? I don't think so. She set out with a goal and achieved it as she planned. She did not say she was doing it one way and actually do it another. So I give her all the credit she deserves for doing what she did and am happily amazed :)

DaveSail
08-08-2011, 09:15
I didn't see Jennifer this morning on CBS . Will she be on tomorrow ? David

Pedaling Fool
08-08-2011, 09:50
All I saw a story on was about glamorcamping http://goglamourcamping.com/ Typical npr-type enviornmental elitists:rolleyes:

Sly
08-08-2011, 09:59
I didn't see Jennifer this morning on CBS . Will she be on tomorrow ? David

From a post by Brew on Facebook (under Jen's name) they tape today and it will be shown tomorrow between 7-9am. He's going to post gain if they find the time. I'll pass it on if I see it.

Red Hat
08-08-2011, 11:48
Thanks, I thought Houston cut it out.

Sly
08-08-2011, 13:32
All I saw a story on was about glamorcamping http://goglamourcamping.com/ Typical npr-type enviornmental elitists:rolleyes:

There's a useless post worthy of deletion. This one too I guess.

Carl in FL
08-08-2011, 15:02

Hmmm ..... what happened to HYOH?

Pedaling Fool
08-08-2011, 16:50

But Sly...If you ever reach my porch severly fatigued and hurting I'd let you stay in the foyer without any concern for the fragile environment (which is in perfect balance) that I've painstakingy created here. Maybe I should rethink that policy:D

Sly
08-08-2011, 16:57
Hmmm ..... what happened to HYOH?

Nothing happened to HYOH. That post has nothing to do with Jen's hike or her appearance on the CBS Early Show. Plus, I'm not sure if I've ever met, or know what, a NPR listening environmental elitist is. Is the blonde in the link one?

Sly
08-08-2011, 17:04
But Sly...If you ever reach my porch severly fatigued and hurting I'd let you stay in the foyer without any concern for the fragile environment (which is in perfect balance) that I've painstakingy created here. Maybe I should rethink that policy:D

Yeah, appreciated it. I suppose it's better than glamping through the whites.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2011, 08:24
Expect to see Jennifer on the CBS Early Show Monday (or early in the week).coming on in about 10 minutes

Sly
08-09-2011, 09:23
Forgot all about it, I'll look online. In the meantime, can someone that may have taped it, upload it to Yotube, or Facebook?

Lone Wolf
08-09-2011, 09:26
coming on in about 10 minuteswas an OK interview

sonic
08-09-2011, 10:10
Here is a link to the CBS Early Show. Only about 3 1/2 minutes long. http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_early_show/video/?pid=191GZtM4NeG6Bp9FA6g_mW_nVAEH5Hn4&vs=Default&play=true

jersey joe
08-11-2011, 17:30
Here is a link to the CBS Early Show. Only about 3 1/2 minutes long. http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_early_show/video/?pid=191GZtM4NeG6Bp9FA6g_mW_nVAEH5Hn4&vs=Default&play=true
Thanks for the link Sonic!
I thought it was a decent interview. I doubt that the average viewer has much clue how awesome Jen's accomplishment really is.

greenmtnboy
08-15-2011, 11:49
I would like to know what diet she followed, how spartan her regimin was or whether she slept on a feather bed every night with periodic massages etc..

Those who broke unassisted records are much more impressive, many never received any recognition or awards, such as Ward Leonard.

Her photogenic good looks with the record will probably be parlayed into a six or seven figure contract.

Lone Wolf
08-15-2011, 12:13
Her photogenic good looks with the record will probably be parlayed into a six or seven figure contract.contract for what?

greenmtnboy
08-15-2011, 14:44
An endorsement. She has what it takes. A few more media stories and then...she gets offered a contract to endorse a product or a product line. Stay tuned.

BabySue
08-15-2011, 14:51
I'm gonna go atomic ape s*** on the next person who insinuates that Jennifer Pharr Davis some how wussed out because she didn't carry a full pack, or that she didn't sleep in the woods, or that she got lucky, etc. etc. There's not one person in ten million who could do half of what she did with a backpack full of helium--and that's not an exaggeration. If she makes money, good for her, and big hairy deal. All of us make money, and make it in much easier ways than hiking 47 miles a day for 6+ weeks. I'm just doing what good ole' Cicero suggested in the previous post's tagline--protecting someone from injury; that is, trying to protect Jenn Davis from the injury of her amazing achievement being questioned and even maligned.

ChinMusic
08-15-2011, 14:54
I'm gonna go atomic ape s*** on the next person who insinuates that Jennifer Pharr Davis some how wussed out because she didn't carry a full pack, or that she didn't sleep in the woods, or that she got lucky, etc. etc. There's not one person in ten million who could do half of what she did with a backpack full of helium--and that's not an exaggeration. If she makes money, good for her, and big hairy deal. All of us make money, and make it in much easier ways than hiking 47 miles a day for 6+ weeks. I'm just doing what good ole' Cicero suggested in the previous post's tagline--protecting someone from injury; that is, trying to protect Jenn Davis from the injury of her amazing achievement being questioned and even maligned.

Agree except for the part about luck. Nobody accomplishes something like this without a good portion of luck. One twisted ankle in those 5M steps and the record chase is over.

BabySue
08-15-2011, 14:59
Yes, but after 2200 miles statistics suggest that every person will experience a similar level of good and bad luck. Plus, part of the deal is pressing on through bad luck. Thus, for example, bad weather was bad luck, and she pressed on. Shin splints were bad luck, and she pressed on. Diarrhea was bad luck, yet she pressed on. In an earlier through hike she was hit by lightning; I'd call that bad luck, yet she pressed on.

greenmtnboy
08-15-2011, 15:05
Many people could pull this off. I salute her, though, and she needs no one to "protect" her! Stop trying to brow beat people with varying opinions! It isn't about sex, race, or any other external; it is about a successful support team--that will make a world of difference, in whatever sport you are competing. Without the support, the task in 10X harder.

Spogatz
08-15-2011, 15:24
I know there is no way that I could do that. More power to her.

I'll just walk slow and do short mileage days.....It's my style....

Driver8
08-15-2011, 15:33
Many people could pull this off.

No one has, though, have they? Hence she owns the record, not one of those "many" people. You do come off as someone trying to demean or belittle her accomplishment. You're entitled to your varied opinion, and others are entitled to form opinions of you and your opinion accordingly.

It isn't about sex, race, or any other external; it is about a successful support team--that will make a world of difference, in whatever sport you are competing. Without the support, the task in 10X harder.

To the extent that it's about support team - unquestionably important - that's a credit to her that she's attracted a good group of people as core support and, as her hike progressed, so many friends and family liked and loved her so much as to join in assisting her effort and her team.

She earned this accomplishment by dint of hard work and perseverance, a lot of well-earned good will, excellent planning and execution on her part and on that of her team and a boat load of talent, innate and finely honed. I think the weather gods did shine on her a bit - she was mostly free of eventful weather on her trip. But mostly it was the human qualities of her and her team which won her this well-deserved title.

PS: As to her diet and regimen, howsabout you read the excellent journal blog kept by her husband? I did, and it appeared that most nights she slept in an RV or camper near the AT and maybe 7-10 of her 46 nights she slept in a motel. Feathered beds - not so much. Massages and other PT, yes, not unlike tennis stars mid-match, NFL, NBA and MLB players mid-game when needed - what of it? Are you suggesting unsupported thru-hikers forego such care of their bodies?

Finally, you say it's not about gender, your objection, Greenmtnboy, but the imagery you invoke, feathered mattress in particular, suggests you view her as some pampered princess. I doubt you could keep within a mile of her, on her 20th day, for as much of a morning. Which is not to castigate or to judge you, so much - I'd be lucky to keep up with her for the duration of the Housatonic road walk - as just to encourage humility and respect on your part.

BabySue
08-15-2011, 15:43
Driver8 rules.

greenmtnboy
08-15-2011, 16:38
Horsefeathers!<br><br>Just wait until the Kenyan marathoners start trying to break the record.

weary
08-15-2011, 16:48
Many people could pull this off. .....
Not many people have even tried, and some of those that have tried have failed to even finish.

Of course it's 10 times harder without support. That's why she used support. But regardless of the support, no one else has come close to her accomplishment. Not many people can hike 45-50 miles a day for even a week -- or for even two consecutive days a week.

Sly
08-15-2011, 16:55
contract for what?

As a sales rep, a shoe or clothing endorsement, a column in a magazine, sports announcing, another book.

Sly
08-15-2011, 16:56
Horsefeathers!<br><br>Just wait until the Kenyan marathoners start trying to break the record.

Calm down, marathoners run fast for 26 miles, not two marathons a day for 45 days at a time.

Driver8
08-15-2011, 17:00

Not sure who put the feathers up your bum - hope you enjoy that. ... Let's see you do the CT section in a day - a run of the mill day in Jenn's effort. Take all the support you can put together, however much that its. Good luck!

BabySue
08-15-2011, 17:23
Driver8 for president! Sly for Veep! Jenn Davis for Secretary of Health & Forward Motion!
Insert tongue in cheek: From now on I'm going to ask all marathoners that I meet if they wore back packs and if they refused the Dixie cups of Gatorade. If they say "no," I will then commence with denigrating their accomplishment.

Driver8
08-15-2011, 17:25
Driver8 for president! Sly for Veep! Jenn Davis for Secretary of Health & Forward Motion!
Insert tongue in cheek: From now on I'm going to ask all marathoners that I meet if they wore back packs and if they refused the Dixie cups of Gatorade. If they say "no," I will then commence with denigrating their accomplishment.

Exactly. We're probably just throwing good energy after bad in this case, Baby Sue.

PS: You'd make a fine attorney general. :)

BabySue
08-15-2011, 17:29
PS: I'm wearing tiny ankle weights on my fingers as I type, to ensure that this is an unsupported post. Don't want to be a hypocrite.

max patch
08-15-2011, 17:46
I'm gonna go atomic ape s*** on the next person who insinuates that Jennifer Pharr Davis some how wussed out because she didn't carry a full pack, or that she didn't sleep in the woods, or that she got lucky, etc. etc.

Now *thats* the impressive part...walking 2 marathons a day every day and still had enough energy to get lucky? :)

By the way..threatening to go "atomic ape s***" doesn't mean much when you're talking words on a forum.

BabySue
08-15-2011, 19:17
Yes, Max Patch, you are correct. I'm all talk. I'm not a violent person, and I'm smaller than most other posters. So my threats are completely idle. I depend wholly on the power of the pixel.

Driver8
08-15-2011, 19:40
PS: I'm wearing tiny ankle weights on my fingers as I type, to ensure that this is an unsupported post. Don't want to be a hypocrite.

It appears some fingers post here without the support of a brain, so they've got yours there. :)

Blissful
08-15-2011, 22:29
As a sales rep, a shoe or clothing endorsement, a column in a magazine, sports announcing, another book.

She already is with Salomon and Blue Ridge Outdoors. Probably her book will get picked up by a NY publisher and she will add details to it about this hike, maybe a new cover. That's what I would do. I assume she has a publicist and agent - both of which she needs

map man
08-15-2011, 22:53
Daily log for Jennifer Pharr-Davis 2011 AT record hike (supported):

Day 1 (June 15): Katahdin to Jo Mary Road -- 56 miles (56 total) (started 4:06 AM)
Day 2 (June 16): Jo Mary Road to location near Long Pond Stream ford -- 44 miles (100 total)
Day 3 (June 17): Long Pond Stream ford to Boise Cascade Logging Road -- 46 miles (146 total)
Day 4 (June 18): Boise Cascade Logging Road to ME 27 (Stratton) -- 42 miles (188 total)
Day 5 (June 19): ME27 (Stratton) to Sabbath Day Pond -- 41 miles (229 total)
Day 6 (June 20): Sabbath Day Pond to Grafton Notch -- 38 miles (267 total)
Day 7 (June 21): Grafton Notch to Gorham NH -- 31 miles (298 total)
Day 8 (June 22): Gorham to Mt. Washington -- 34 miles (332 total)
Day 9 (June 23): Mt. Washington to Gale River Trail Junction -- 30 miles (362 total)
Day 10 (June 24): Gale River Trail Junction to Glencliff -- 38 miles (400 total)
Day 11 (June 25): Glencliff to Hanover -- 43 miles (443 total)
Day 12 (June 26): Hanover to dirt road near Stony Brook Shelter -- 36 miles (479 total)
Day 13 (June 27): Near Stony Brook Shelter to Danby-Landgrove Road -- 42 miles (521 total)
Day 14 (June 28): Danby-Landgrove Road to near Kid Gore Shelter -- 43 miles (564 total)
Day 15 (June 29): Near Kid Gore to Cheshire MA -- 47 miles (611 total)
Day 16 (June 30): Cheshire to Great Barrington (MA 23) -- 49 miles (660 total)
Day 17 (July 1): MA 23 to West Cornwall Road -- 48 miles (708 total)
Day 18 (July 2): West Cornwall Road to NY 52 (Stormville) -- 49 miles (757 total)
Day 19 (July 3): NY 52 to Arden Valley Road -- 49 miles (806 total)
Day 20 (July 4): Arden Valley Road to County 519 (NJ) -- 45 miles (851 total)
Day 21 (July 5): County 519 (NJ) to Fox Gap (PA 191) -- 52 miles (903 total)
Day 22 (July 6): Fox Gap to Fort Franklin Road -- 45 miles (948 total)
Day 23 (July 7): Fort Franklin Road to PA 645 (Pine Grove) -- 48 miles (996 total)
Day 24 (July 8): PA 645 to PA 850 -- 54 miles (1050 total)
Day 25 (July 9): PA 850 to Sandy Sod Junction -- 52 miles (1102 total)
Day 26 (July 10): Sandy Sod Junction to Crampton Gap (MD) -- 53 miles (1155 total)
Day 27 (July 11): Crampton Gap to near Dicks Dome Shelter -- 50 miles (1205 total)
Day 28 (July 12): Dicks Dome Shelter to Skyland Lodge -- 52 miles (1257 total)
Day 29 (July 13): Skyland Lodge to Browns Gap (SNP) -- 47 miles (1304 total)
Day 30 (July 14): Browns Gap to VA 56 -- 53 miles (1357 total)
Day 31 (July 15): VA 56 to Matts Creek Shelter -- 50 miles (1407 total)
Day 32 (July 16): Matts Creek Shelter to VA 652 -- 52 miles (1459 total)
Day 33 (July 17): VA 652 to Sinking Creek Mountain -- 47 miles (1506 total)
Day 34 (July 18): Sinking Creek Mtn. to Pearisburg -- 47 miles (1553 total)
Day 35 (July 19): Pearisburg to VA 615 -- 50 miles (1603 total)
Day 36 (July 20): VA 615 to VA 16 -- 49 miles (1652 total)
Day 37 (July 21): VA 16 to US 58 (Summit Cut, VA) -- 47 miles (1699 total)
Day 38 (July 22): US 58 to Vandeventer Shelter (TN) -- 50 miles (1749 total)
Day 39 (July 23): Vandeventer Shelter to Doll Flats -- 46 miles (1795 total)
Day 40 (July 24): Doll Flats to Erwin TN -- 46 miles (1841 total)
Day 41 (July 25): Erwin to Camp Creek Bald -- 47 miles (1888 total)
Day 42 (July 26): Camp Creek Bald to Snowbird Mountain -- 51 miles (1939 total)
Day 43 (July 27): Snowbird Mountain to near Clingmans Dome -- 46 miles (1985 total)
Day 44 (July 28): Clingmans Dome to Stecoah Gap -- 48 miles (2033 total)
Day 45 (July 29): Stecoah Gap to Mooney Gap -- 52 miles (2085 total)
Day 46 (July 30): Mooney Gap to Tesnatee Gap -- 60 miles (2145 total)
Day 47 (July 31): Tesnatee Gap to Springer -- 36 miles (2181 total) (finished 3:26 PM)

Total time: 46 days, 11 hours, 20 minutes. (46.9 miles per day)

I wanted to post her complete day by day log for this 2011 record so people will have an easy place to find it when comparing future record attempts to hers.

jersey joe
08-16-2011, 16:06
Nice job documenting the record attempt Map Man!

Carl in FL
08-16-2011, 19:05
My last post on this site.
Congratulations to Jenn, I wish her the absolute best for the future and much success.
If she ever comes here, I hope they don't lock the topic while she's typing. Again.

Sly
08-16-2011, 19:31
My last post on this site.
Congratulations to Jenn, I wish her the absolute best for the future and much success.
If she ever comes here, I hope they don't lock the topic while she's typing. Again.

Must have missed that one....

Marta
08-17-2011, 12:06
It's fine to have an opinion, but if you state that, in your opinion, the earth is flat, better-informed people will not hesitate to tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. Jenifer is an awesome athlete, but she is also physically and mentally tough, and smart enough to have come up with a winning strategy for accomplishing an incredibly difficult feat. We will be seeing other people adopt her tactics when they try to lower the record in future years.

Marta
08-17-2011, 12:07
PS--in case you hadn't noticed, Jennifer also has quite a few
personal friends who frequent Whiteblaze.

Sly
08-17-2011, 13:34
Nice job documenting the record attempt Map Man!

"record attempt"? I believe she smashed it!

trippclark
11-14-2011, 21:38
It is great to see Jennifer as a nominee for National Geographic's Adventurer of the Year
http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/adventurers-of-the-year/2012/vote/