PDA

View Full Version : Supported AT Speed Record Attempt - Jennifer Pharr - 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3

royalusa
04-13-2011, 18:20
http://www.adventureworldmagazine.com/news/content.aspx?id=130

"In June, Davis will hike from Mount Katahdin, Maine to Springer Mountain, Georgia. Her goal is to hike the entire 2,180-mile faster than the current overall speed record of 47 days, 13 hours and 31 minutes. To break the record, Davis will hike an average of 47 miles a day, camping along the trail. She will have trail support from legendary ultra-runner and former AT and Pacific Crest Trail speed record holder David Horton, as well as veteran AT expert Warren Doyle and Davis’ husband, Brew Davis."

Red Hat
04-13-2011, 18:22
I'd love to see her do it. I'm also pulling for Nature Boy to do his under 60 day unsupported. Awesome. I like hiking slowly, but cheer for those who do it differently.

mweinstone
04-13-2011, 18:31
another person i have vowed to hate. why is everyone haveing all this fun so close to me? jennifer? could you sckootch over a bit? im trying to die from not hiking here and all the freash air and good vibbs your letting in is not helping. really.

russa frussa jen gets to hike russa frussa married to not me frussa russa beautiful smily creature russa frussa......

Panzer1
04-13-2011, 19:47
good luck Jennifer.

Panzer

Spokes
04-13-2011, 20:12
Here's wishing Jennifer the very best. Hike strong girl!

Pedaling Fool
04-13-2011, 20:21
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/customavatars/avatar1953_16.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=1953)

John B
04-13-2011, 20:57
47 miles a day?! Nonstop?! Good grief, that would be incredible. Best of luck to you, JennPharr. I look forward to reading about your attempt!

map man
04-13-2011, 21:19
Her previous time was 57 days, 8 hours and change. I'm guessing she can beat that, but by almost ten days?

firestarter
04-13-2011, 21:20
so fabulous to hear about a female speed hiker, they seem to be few and far between.

last year when i was going southbound, all the fastest, early nobos were male. i didn't meet a female nobo thru until nh.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2011, 21:42
she has the talent, the experience, the knowledge of the AT, the best support team and mental toughness to do this.

Mountain Maiden
04-13-2011, 23:20
If anyone can do it--Jen can!

Jen-- see you soon in HS--- come and sign some more books! Good luck to you!

S :sun

mweinstone
04-13-2011, 23:35
to hike, where no man has hiked before. these are the voyages of....the starship jenpharr....que music.....

"THE SPEEDHIKER"
by gene roddenberry

mweinstone
04-13-2011, 23:38
mrs sulu? take her out. warp factor 9.9.
9.9 aye captian.

everyone who just whistled the theme song raise your hand.

fredmugs
04-22-2011, 11:40
Awesome! She'll be long gone before I start my Maine section hike July 1st. If she could crack 50 days that would be amazing.

Marta
04-22-2011, 17:58
Her previous time was 57 days, 8 hours and change. I'm guessing she can beat that, but by almost ten days?

The way she expressed it to me was that she was cautious on her earlier speed hike because she wasn't sure how much she needed to hold in reserve in order to make the whole distance. She said the 57-day hike took about 75% of what she had. This year she's planning to use it all.

Godspeed, Jennifer! You go, girl!

jersey joe
04-22-2011, 19:25
Very cool, excited to follow this record attempt. 47 miles per day is no joke!

Bearpaw
04-22-2011, 19:44
mrs sulu? take her out. warp factor 9.9.
9.9 aye captian.

everyone who just whistled the theme song raise your hand.

I hummed it. I just can't whistle for beans.

Good luck Jen!

Grits
04-22-2011, 21:18
Does anyone know if we can follow it on trail journals or her web site?

perrito
04-22-2011, 21:54
She's cool. I'm rooting for her. HYOH!

map man
04-22-2011, 22:03
One thing I should have mentioned in my earlier post: she averaged about 38 miles a day on her previous AT hike and will need to average 46 on this one (not 47 like the linked article says) -- she will be one of a very very small number of people who know just what kind of extended effort that extra 8 miles a day will entail, since she has so much speed hiking experience already. I'm rooting for her.

One Half
04-23-2011, 19:32
How much support would she be getting? How much will she be carrying on her back for all those miles? Will she be camping on the trail?

mweinstone
04-25-2011, 08:51
jen far is such a cool name.

the jen far have destroyed the planet
the jen far are our only hope
do you searve jen far?
im looking for something a bit more,...jen far.
dont make me jen far your ass!
what would jen far say?
jen far says, it is wise to be still while running.
do you have the new jen far movie in stock?
jen far is a powerful klingon warrior
does this come in jen far?
ill have the jen far, with tahini please
you know what they say! when in jen far, do as the jen farrians!
more jen far sightings in eastern oregon again today raising speckulation of of a bigfoot..
and finaly the markets closed with todays big board leader jen far up 22
from all of us here at abc news, diann sawer, have a good jen far. goodnite.

stranger
04-25-2011, 10:37
One thing I should have mentioned in my earlier post: she averaged about 38 miles a day on her previous AT hike and will need to average 46 on this one (not 47 like the linked article says) -- she will be one of a very very small number of people who know just what kind of extended effort that extra 8 miles a day will entail, since she has so much speed hiking experience already. I'm rooting for her.

Agreed, I can't speak to this 38 and 47 mile days but it makes sense to me, as an unsupported hiker...I believe there is a huge difference between something like 28-30 miles and 35-37...absolutely huge difference, and the higher the mileage the more drastic this becomes.

46 miles per day for 47 days...that's 3.1 miles per hour for 15 hours each day, 47 days straight! And it's not like you can throw in the odd 60 mile day and take a half day off! More power to her!

Marta
04-25-2011, 17:00
Stranger--Don't know if you are aware of this, but Jen had a >60-mile day during her previous speed hike.

One of the things that sets Jennifer apart from some other supported speed hikers and runners is that she does camp. Her support team packs in the gear, but that enables her to stop along the trail instead of being limited to stopping for the night at road crossings. A huge advantage, IMO.

It is interesting that gender differences diminish as the distances increase. The mph walking speed she's trying to achieve is not so huge that it requires male muscle. It's even possible that the lower caloric requirement women have is an advantage.

While it's never ever a slam dunk to set a record, you could hardly ask for more experience on a team--her own thousands of miles of both regular and speed hiking, plus Warren Doyle, David Horton, and Jennifer's athletic young husband, Brew. She's got brains and brawn backing up what she brings to the endeavor on her own.

mweinstone
04-25-2011, 18:14
she has a certain jen ne sai farr.........

Skidsteer
04-25-2011, 18:19
jen far is such a cool name.

the jen far have destroyed the planet
the jen far are our only hope
do you searve jen far?
im looking for something a bit more,...jen far.
dont make me jen far your ass!
what would jen far say?
jen far says, it is wise to be still while running.
do you have the new jen far movie in stock?
jen far is a powerful klingon warrior
does this come in jen far?
ill have the jen far, with tahini please
you know what they say! when in jen far, do as the jen farrians!
more jen far sightings in eastern oregon again today raising speckulation of of a bigfoot..
and finaly the markets closed with todays big board leader jen far up 22
from all of us here at abc news, diann sawer, have a good jen far. goodnite.

she has a certain jen ne sai farr.........

I wonder if you could fit all that on the back of a T-shirt.

stranger
04-26-2011, 03:47
Stranger--Don't know if you are aware of this, but Jen had a >60-mile day during her previous speed hike.

One of the things that sets Jennifer apart from some other supported speed hikers and runners is that she does camp. Her support team packs in the gear, but that enables her to stop along the trail instead of being limited to stopping for the night at road crossings. A huge advantage, IMO.

It is interesting that gender differences diminish as the distances increase. The mph walking speed she's trying to achieve is not so huge that it requires male muscle. It's even possible that the lower caloric requirement women have is an advantage.

While it's never ever a slam dunk to set a record, you could hardly ask for more experience on a team--her own thousands of miles of both regular and speed hiking, plus Warren Doyle, David Horton, and Jennifer's athletic young husband, Brew. She's got brains and brawn backing up what she brings to the endeavor on her own.

I didn't know that, are we talking 60 miles in 24 hours, or are we talking 60 miles of continuous walking...because 60 miles in one day means 3mph for 20 hours straight!

The most I've ever personally witnesses was a thru-hiker in 2001 who left Port Clinton at 6am one day, hiked all day and through the night, and arrived at Leroy Gap Shelter early the next morning saying he was glad to have only 20 miles left to town, I think that was 76 miles...with a pack on, amazing.

I wish her well, also good to hear about the camping aspect, I would imagine having to hit roads at night would prove problematic in the long run if you are attempting to maintain a certain distance.

Marta
04-26-2011, 20:10
I didn't know that, are we talking 60 miles in 24 hours, or are we talking 60 miles of continuous walking...because 60 miles in one day means 3mph for 20 hours straight!

We're talking 64 miles in about 20 hours. It was the second to last day of her 2008 hike. During that hike her average for the entire trail was 3.5 mph. She is an amazing athlete.

Jeremiah Greenjeans
05-04-2011, 09:36
Several weeks ago I randomly purchased a book off Amazon.com because it was a story about someone's hike along the AT. I read the entire book, and LOVED it. What amazed me that I could love a book so much that I just randomly chosen, mainly because it was the only hardcover AT book I found. Then with the help of Google, I found out more about the author and became an even bigger fan and admirer. The book was 'Becoming Odyssa' by Jennifer.

I was so stunned to find out she will be starting a SOBO journey around the same time I am.. Good luck to her, I hope to see her speeding past me!

The_Truth
05-04-2011, 09:47
http://www.adventureworldmagazine.com/news/content.aspx?id=130

"In June, Davis will hike from Mount Katahdin, Maine to Springer Mountain, Georgia. Her goal is to hike the entire 2,180-mile faster than the current overall speed record of 47 days, 13 hours and 31 minutes. To break the record, Davis will hike an average of 47 miles a day, camping along the trail. She will have trail support from legendary ultra-runner and former AT and Pacific Crest Trail speed record holder David Horton, as well as veteran AT expert Warren Doyle and Davis’ husband, Brew Davis."

Just curious, what's the definition of 'hike?'

mweinstone
05-04-2011, 10:13
the definition of hike in the way you mean it is the way you mean it.
it is a prime word and cannot be denied.
once used, terms such as dayhike, slackpack, blueblaze, yellowblaze and reverse blueblaze slacpack, fade away.
the term was first introduced by al gore and therefore is irrefutable.
a long form birth certificate is required to hike.

mweinstone
05-04-2011, 10:18
i gotta get somthing off my chests.
jester wrote "she has a certian jen na se far" or however its spelled and whatever it means....
he texted it to me and said i could use it.
but im locked in a lifetime battle with jester over whos more creative so i just cant allow his trojen horse to remaine in my court. its his. he wrote it.
one day i will take down jesters little bad hiker poetry syndacit.
with my boys....no one elses.lol.

mweinstone
05-04-2011, 10:24
jen, far.
how far?
far.
AT far?
almost.
thats far.
yup.
no, i mean there she goes.
oh.
look how far she is allready.
yup.
thats far.
where?
no. thats really far.
who else could it be?
jamie farr?
what?
what? i have no idea what your talking about wolf.
matthewski,..what the hell made you such a sweetheart?
you.
thats my boy.
far out.

ShoelessWanderer
05-06-2011, 21:30
Does anyone know if we can follow it on trail journals or her web site?

I don't know if she's posting or not, but just thought I'd throw it out there that she is on FB and can be contacted there.

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 06:43
question for miss farr....
mat weinstone.,appalachian times..

while on your hike, will someone take care of your fish? or will you use one of those time release feeder stones?

map man
06-07-2011, 00:57
I hope she avoids injury and does as well as she possibly can in her attempt. If she does, I expect she will finish somewhere between 52 and 55 days (this would be 10-15% slower than Thompson's record). From 100 meters through the marathon, the women's world record is 10-15% slower than the men's. In the Western States Ultramarathon, a better comparison (a lot of the really fast long distance hikers have come from the trail ultramarathoning world), the women's record is 16% slower than the men's (a little over 17.5 hours versus a little over 15 hours). The women's record for the AT is a little softer than this right now (around 20% slower), so I expect there is room for improvement and Pharr-Davis is a great candidate to be the one to do it, if things go well.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2011, 01:10
I hope she avoids injury and does as well as she possibly can in her attempt. If she does, I expect she will finish somewhere between 52 and 55 days (this would be 10-15% slower than Thompson's record). From 100 meters through the marathon, the women's world record is 10-15% slower than the men's. In the Western States Ultramarathon, a better comparison (a lot of the really fast long distance hikers have come from the trail ultramarathoning world), the women's record is 16% slower than the men's (a little over 17.5 hours versus a little over 15 hours). The women's record for the AT is a little softer than this right now (around 20% slower), so I expect there is room for improvement and Pharr-Davis is a great candidate to be the one to do it, if things go well.

ever hear of Ann Trason?

map man
06-07-2011, 01:26
Yes, I've heard of Ann Trason. It's her women's record in the Western States (17 hours, 37 minutes and change) I was referring to in my previous post. Yes, some of the course records she set in her prime were better than the men's records. It's not impossible Pharr-Davis could do the same but it's a pretty tall order.

One Half
06-07-2011, 08:21
I don't know if she's posting or not, but just thought I'd throw it out there that she is on FB and can be contacted there.

I was in contact with Jenn just before she left to start the AT and she is well aware of what happened to Nature Boy. I, and I am sure many others, advised her not to post her updates without a significant delay or some other way so people would not be able to figure out where she is and when she is there. I would not be surprised to hear no news of her until she has completed the trail or had to get off for some reason. Unfortunately that means those of us who thru hike vicariously through others at this point will not be treated to a day by day update from her. But I look forward to reading about it later!

d.o.c
06-07-2011, 09:31
I'd love to see her do it. I'm also pulling for Nature Boy to do his under 60 day unsupported. Awesome. I like hiking slowly, but cheer for those who do it differently.
well said... best of luck to her

10-K
06-07-2011, 10:17
Is it just me or does this hike have a better vibe than the latest crop of speed hike attempts.

For some reason, this one strikes me as "cleaner"... Not sure that is the right word but it just doesn't seem to have any sketchiness to it.

~Luna~
06-07-2011, 10:31
to hike, where no man has hiked before. these are the voyages of....the starship jenpharr....que music.....

"THE SPEEDHIKER"
by gene roddenberry

"fascinating" :D

jbwood5
06-07-2011, 10:53
Yes, I've heard of Ann Trason. It's her women's record in the Western States (17 hours, 37 minutes and change) I was referring to in my previous post. Yes, some of the course records she set in her prime were better than the men's records. It's not impossible Pharr-Davis could do the same but it's a pretty tall order.

In addition to the extreme physical conditioning required which Pharr-Davis has, there is a certain amount of a "luck" factor that must be considered. I recall one person going after Horton's original record and got delayed in the Whites for many hours due to severe lightning and rain storms. Sometimes you hit an area right after a bad storm has passed and encounter big trees blown across the trail. That can really slow progress.

The thing about an AT record attempt is that you are dealing with an uncontrolled environment which can vary quite a bit from one person's attempt to another person's attempt in a different year.

Trason was quite an amazing runner in her peak which spanned many years. I seriously doubt anyone will challenge her accomplishments, but then you have Monica Scholz who likes setting a record for the most 100 mile foot races completed in a calendar year. Not a super fast racer, but she can complete more sequential 100 mile foot races than anybody.

I was at the 2001 Western States run when Ann won the Womens division that year. I managed to finish that race twice (01 and 04) but in the last 1/3 of the pack both years. In is an incredible beautiful place, crossing the tops of the Sierra Range. My last attempt was last year with 30+ miles of running on snow and I missed the 70 mile cutoff (too old and too slow :mad:).

I'm looking forward to reading Jen's reports and it it is ashamed that there won't be live updates.

Blissful
06-07-2011, 13:02
Hope everything goes well for her!

Hoop Time
06-08-2011, 11:03

She is being almost "secretive" while on the trail.

I am working on an AT Journeys story about the whole concept of speedhiking and contacted her to try to arrange an interview while she passes through my area and she said she will not do any interviews while she is on the trail.

In fact she won't even cooperate photo wise. I told her I understood about the interviews (even though this story won't run until the winter, well after she is done ... but I can understand her desire to have a tight routine and stay focused), but I asked if there was a way to contact her support crew to get a heads up when she would be in certain areas that I thought would be good places to get photos of her for the story, and she even refused that.

Mind you, I was not asking for an "appointment" or for her to stop and pose. I just asked to be able to have a good idea what day she would reach certain areas in order to be able to be in position to shoot photos as she came through.

She is not the only speedhiker that will be in the story, and I already have good photos from Karl Meltzer's 2008 effort and Gobbler's current hike (he is running the trail, but not attempting to set a record). But it would be nice to have good images of her since A) she will be mentioned in the story and B) it would be good to have gender balance in the art.

Now mind you, it is not her responsibility to make my job easy for me. But I have never had someone be so uncooperative (aside from some criminals who tried to avoid the lens during perp walks).

I understand her desire to avoid a lot of hype and publicity while she is on the trail. And it is almost to be expected given her association with Warren Doyle and how he reacted to Karl's effort in 2008.

And it is especially wise for a woman who will be alone on the trail a lot of the time to be discreet.

I think not being willing to cooperate with a photographer for the ATC's own magazine is a little overboard, but I do understand her desire for some stealth.

Would be fun to be able to follow her hike the way we could Meltzer's. But at the same time, it is not up to her to hike vicariously for us while we sit at the computer.

Anyhow, I wish her well and hope she accomplishes what she is setting out to do.

And by the way, I hear Meltzer is planning another attempt, maybe as soon as next year.

Driver8
06-08-2011, 11:44
In fact she won't even cooperate photo wise. I told her I understood about the interviews (even though this story won't run until the winter, well after she is done ... but I can understand her desire to have a tight routine and stay focused), but I asked if there was a way to contact her support crew to get a heads up when she would be in certain areas that I thought would be good places to get photos of her for the story, and she even refused that.

That's too bad. I imagine word of her progress will get out here and in the A.T. community. I'd bet you'll get a day or two worth of notice when she'll be passing near you. I'd stand by if I were you and plan to take a day, maybe two waiting for her in a spot. It's public domain, and you're a journalist, so you can photograph her on her run as a newsworthy event. Once you get pics of her in one place, you can get others of her, with sufficient distance in your car and sufficient waiting, down trail.

Hoop Time
06-08-2011, 12:21
That's too bad. I imagine word of her progress will get out here and in the A.T. community. I'd bet you'll get a day or two worth of notice when she'll be passing near you. I'd stand by if I were you and plan to take a day, maybe two waiting for her in a spot. It's public domain, and you're a journalist, so you can photograph her on her run as a newsworthy event. Once you get pics of her in one place, you can get others of her, with sufficient distance in your car and sufficient waiting, down trail.

Yeah, that pretty much is my plan.

I should mention she has offered to send us photos taken by her crew. But as a freelance writer/photographer, that means less income for me since I get paid by the story for writing and by the photo for images used. (which I tried to explain to her .... this is how I pay my bills, my kids college tuition, etc.)

At this point, I am viewing it as a personal challenge to be sure I not only get the photos I need, but that they are better than any she submits so that mine are used.

First time I have ever felt like a paparazzi (and first time I have ever had a hiker balk at cooperating when I was working on a story about the trail).

The Solemates
06-08-2011, 13:06

I am working on an AT Journeys story about the whole concept of speedhiking and contacted her to try to arrange an interview while she passes through my area and she said she will not do any interviews while she is on the trail.

Mind you, I was not asking for an "appointment" or for her to stop and pose. I just asked to be able to have a good idea what day she would reach certain areas in order to be able to be in position to shoot photos as she came through.

She is not the only speedhiker that will be in the story, and I already have good photos from Karl Meltzer's 2008 effort and Gobbler's current hike (he is running the trail, but not attempting to set a record). But it would be nice to have good images of her since A) she will be mentioned in the story and B) it would be good to have gender balance in the art.

Now mind you, it is not her responsibility to make my job easy for me. But I have never had someone be so uncooperative (aside from some criminals who tried to avoid the lens during perp walks).

I understand her desire to avoid a lot of hype and publicity while she is on the trail. And it is almost to be expected given her association with Warren Doyle and how he reacted to Karl's effort in 2008.

And it is especially wise for a woman who will be alone on the trail a lot of the time to be discreet.

I think not being willing to cooperate with a photographer for the ATC's own magazine is a little overboard, but I do understand her desire for some stealth.

Would be fun to be able to follow her hike the way we could Meltzer's. But at the same time, it is not up to her to hike vicariously for us while we sit at the computer.

Anyhow, I wish her well and hope she accomplishes what she is setting out to do.

And by the way, I hear Meltzer is planning another attempt, maybe as soon as next year.

after what happened to Nature Boy I'd do the same thing. she is smart

WingedMonkey
06-08-2011, 13:17
I should mention she has offered to send us photos taken by her crew. But as a freelance writer/photographer, that means less income for me since I get paid by the story for writing and by the photo for images used.

You seem to think your pockets are more important than her desire for safety and privacy. I hope that the ATC will take that into consideration before publication.

emerald
06-08-2011, 13:43
Hiking was once a recreational activity in which one participates actively and from which one derives health benefits.

It seems to become more a spectator sport with every passing year. Am I the only one who thinks we would all be better off were this trend reversed?

Lone Wolf
06-08-2011, 13:45
Hiking was once a recreational activity in which one participates actively and from which one derives health benefits.

It seems to become more a spectator sport with every passing year. Am I the only one who thinks we would all be better off were this trend reversed?

the ATC promotes thru-hiking which in itself is a marathon

emerald
06-08-2011, 13:57
Maybe ATC shouldn't promote through hiking and we ought not focus so much attention upon it. The vast majority of A.T. hikers will never through hike it, but they can still participate in many other ways.

Wolf knows what I think about characterizing through hikes as marathons. Once we go there, it doesn't take much to get to where we now find ourselves and beyond.

Who knows where this will take us? I am hopeful it will come full-circle when people realize what it's done to the A.T. and their relationship with it.

Carl in FL
06-08-2011, 14:04
Doesn't "someone in charge" have to know where she is and spot check her progress, to
verify the record, or is this all on the honor system?

Forgive me if that's a silly question, but I seem to recall someone else who did this
years ago and could not get into the record book, because there was no independent
"audit" or some other ugly word.

jbwood5
06-08-2011, 14:37

There really isn't that much activity in this area (i.e. only a very small number of people looking to do a speed hike/run). I guess because these folks appear almost super human, it gets a lot of visibility, both in the press and on these social networking boards. In some cases there are self-promotions by the person attempting to accomplish their feat. I see nothing wrong with that as long as it is not overbearing. Almost anybody that has an exceptional talent will come to realize that other people like to hear about it and/or read about it. I doubt that most people even think about any financial benefit (if any is possible) when they start out, but sometimes a book deal or sponsorship aid comes about because of the huge interest and curiosity.

I also think that a lot of people get a lot more from hiking than "health benefits" What about spiritual benefits? What about the learning experience?... the social or even non social experience.. There really is so much more than the physical/health aspect, but everybody has their own reason for being out there.

Driver8
06-08-2011, 14:39
You seem to think your pockets are more important than her desire for safety and privacy. I hope that the ATC will take that into consideration before publication.

Sounds like she's taking the concerns to an extreme and that his requests are reasonable. I think that, as much as he wants the commission for a few photos, he moreso, as a photojournalist, wants to get good photos. Hard to fault him for that, and given that he's working with the A.T.C., it seems unreasonable not to cooperate. Bet she'd work with National Geographic.

Driver8
06-08-2011, 14:40

I prefer the recreational activity model, but I'm fine with others who wish to pursue it as sport. Not my gig, but I don't see it as objectionable in itself, within reason.

jbwood5
06-08-2011, 14:51
Doesn't "someone in charge" have to know where she is and spot check her progress, to
verify the record, or is this all on the honor system?

Forgive me if that's a silly question, but I seem to recall someone else who did this
years ago and could not get into the record book, because there was no independent
"audit" or some other ugly word.

Carl, I think there will be enough people (i.e. crews, friends, spouse) that will be able to verify this effort. For obvious reasons, the community web pages will not have the details real time.

As a side note, I tend to think of these efforts more as accomplishments, not records for a record book. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Nobody can have exactly the same trail conditions, weather and likely not the exact route from one effort to the next, so any record is tough to compare to the next, especially when we start measuring down to the hour and minute. It starts to get a bit ridiculous.

emerald
06-08-2011, 15:18
There really is so much more than the physical/health aspect ...

I'm well aware of the many benefits to man provided by Appalachian Trail. My 7000+ posts attest to it.

It's no secret America is becoming increasingly sedentary and our health is deteriorating because of it. Too many are living vicariously and need to get up off their couches.

Viewing words and images that paint a picture of someone immersed in a natural environment and actually taking a short hike are two very different activities with different consequences. While the former may result in actual beneficial changes to one's mood and chemistry, few would dispute the latter will result in greater benefit for most people.

Sly
06-08-2011, 15:49

In fact she won't even cooperate photo wise.

Did you ever consider she didn't want to take the time to do interviews or photo shoots while attempting a record, rather than just being secretive? Her husband and support crew will be seeing her several times a day.

If the article isn't going to be run until winter, it all can wait.

Sly
06-08-2011, 15:53
At this point, I am viewing it as a personal challenge to be sure I not only get the photos I need, but that they are better than any she submits so that mine are used.

First time I have ever felt like a paparazzi (and first time I have ever had a hiker balk at cooperating when I was working on a story about the trail).

Yeah, I wonder why? :rolleyes: If she doesn't want to be photographed or interviewed why don't you respect her wishes?

general
06-08-2011, 16:07

she probably doesn't know you from adam's house cat, and you come across as kinda wierd. be respectful and quit complaining.

general
06-08-2011, 16:09
7000+

hike much?

John B
06-08-2011, 20:33
she probably doesn't know you from adam's house cat, and you come across as kinda wierd. be respectful and quit complaining.
HA! Now that's just funny, I don't care who you are. :banana

Hoop Time
06-08-2011, 20:33
To answer a few of the questions/concerns expressed here:

General -- as for not knowing me from a house cat and being weird. I have written numerous articles about the hiking, trails and the AT, including two that have been published in AT Journeys, one that will be in the July/August issue and three others -- including the speedhiking story -- that are slated for fall and winter issues.

In my e-mails to her I clearly identified myself and my relationship with the magazine. If she doubted my credentials, she could google me or ask for clips. Also, I know that she has heard from the editor vouching for my authenticity.

I would also mention that she is affiliated in some way with Warren Doyle, who is going to be part of her support crew. I have interviewed Warren for previous stories, including just a week or so ago for the one in next month's issue and went out of my way at the Gathering in 2009 to introduce myself to Warren since we had spoken by phone before but never met in person.

I don't know what about that makes me weird (though my kids would agree with you).

As for relating this to what happened to Nature Boy, this story is to run in the winter, long after she is finished. Don't quite know how that might reveal her whereabouts to a potential attacker. And as I mentioned above, I think my credentials speak for themselves as to the legitimacy. Do you think I am looking to mug her?

Winged Monkey -- I do not think my pockets are more important than anyone's safety. There is no reason my professional duties would imperil her in any way.

Sly -- I am not looking to take any of her time, or to slow her down in any way. I already agreed that a phone interview after she finishes would be fine since I have room with the deadline to wait for that. But I can only take photos of her on the trail when she is on the trail. I am not looking for a posed photo shoot. I am a reasonably accomplished sports photographer quite capable of getting the photos I need without interfering in any way with her activity. What I want are real shots of her in action.

And as for "if she does not want to be photographed, why not respect her wishes" -- As a journalist it is my job to record events and tell stories. Whether she likes it or not, her effort is newsworthy, especially to the AT and hiking communities.

Let's not forget that we are talking about someone who wrote a book about her AT experiences and who has a business that is based on her hiking experience. It is not like this is some publicity shy recluse.

The fact that she is willing to provide photos is proof of that.

But understand, any journalist with integrity will not allow the subject of their reporting to dictate how they are portrayed. That includes photos. Photojournalists are tasked with telling their story with images.

Again, I have the utmost respect for Jen and her effort. And if she does not want to cooperate, she does not have to. But that does not change the fact that I have a job to do.

I will find a way to get the images I need and I will do so in a respectful, professional manner.

bfayer
06-08-2011, 21:50
... As a journalist it is my job to record events and tell stories. Whether she likes it or not, her effort is newsworthy, especially to the AT and hiking communities...

...I will find a way to get the images I need...

I can see why you feel like a paparazzi, because you sure sound like one.

If you are going to sit out on the trail and wait, at least take some snickers bars with you to hand out to those that are actually hiking :)

Lone Wolf
06-08-2011, 21:54
If you are going to sit out on the trail and wait, at least take some snickers bars with you to hand out to those that are actually hiking :)

"those that are actually hiking" don't need snickers bars. they got a pack full of chow

Driver8
06-08-2011, 22:48
To answer a few of the questions/concerns expressed here. ...

Remarkable how much immature sniping there is here. It's as if people don't understand journalism, properly done. You sound like a reasonable chap to me, Hoop.

It's unfortunate Ms. Pharr chooses not to cooperate - may just be she wants to save her story and photos of it for her own published vehicle, whether a book or video. As is her right. In the meantime, you're well within your rights to go forward as you are, and the paparazzo tag is inapposite. Best wishes to you in your project and to Ms. Pharr in hers.

bfayer
06-09-2011, 06:02
"those that are actually hiking" don't need snickers bars. they got a pack full of chow

I know, at least I always do.

But does anyone ever really need a snickers bar? Some things go beyond need :)

Hoop Time
06-09-2011, 08:52
I can see why you feel like a paparazzi, because you sure sound like one.

Hmmm, Snickers bars, eh? You think those would go over better than the cookies and cooler full of cold beverages I took along earlier this week when I met up with another speed hiker to shoot some photos out near the Scott Farm?

Look, I realize most folks on here do not know me, but I do hike some. I am not a through-hiker, and never will be. But I have done some hiking, a little trail maintenance (not nearly enough, but I hope to do a lot more) and enjoy doing a little trail magic from time to time (though no Snickers bars ... my daughter got her trail name from a hiker who enjoyed the home baked oatmeal raisin cookies she was handing out when we went on our first day hike on the AT. -- you can read that story in July's AT Journeys. And I find hikers I encounter at the Scott Farm on very hot days really enjoy those frozen soda slurpee type drinks).

stranger
06-09-2011, 09:25
If I was attempting a speed hike record attempt of the AT I wouldn't entertain a single idea or thought relating to anything other than achieving that record or goal. I would do exactly the same thing as her.

It's not like the hike is going to take 6 months, she'll be done in less than 50 days in all likelyhood, that's the latest. A good story is a good story, if she has advised you that this sort of thing is a distraction, dry your eyes and get the story after.

As for the safety thing, I don't think that's the point, I reckon it's more of a focus thing...the Nature Boy thing is either a freak thing that will never happen again, or more likely something is not being said or told, or whatever.

Let her hike the trail...she can talk to you later, you can write about someone else, I'm sure you can find plenty of wannabe's on here to help you out.

Driver8
06-09-2011, 12:55
If I was attempting a speed hike record attempt of the AT I wouldn't entertain a single idea or thought relating to anything other than achieving that record or goal. I would do exactly the same thing as her.

When they run the Boston Marathon, do the leaders get followed by video cameras? Do still photogs set up at memorable spots on the route, certainly at the finish line, and take pics? Do you have a problem with them doing their job (which does not involve obstructing the runners, to be clear, just recording video and photos of them as the run past)?

If you've no problem with the Boston Marathon photogs, can you explain to me the difference between them and our friend here, Hoop Time? He's going to a public place - the Appalachian Trail corridor is federal property - to take photos of someone engaged in a newsworthy event - an attempt to set a new speed-record for a woman hiking the Appalachian Trail. He's doubtless not going to set up in the middle of the trail, but rather alongside it in a way that won't obstruct Ms. Pharr, or other hikers for that matter.

Do you think the stories you read in National Geographic or Outside, or TV documentaries such as on PBS, Discovery or the BBC just magically happen and don't involve the hard work of journalists and photographers very much like what Hoop Dreams describes? You gonna start boycotting these shows and magazines because of how terrible and obstructive their production is? :rolleyes:

Hoop Time
06-09-2011, 13:07
My original post here was not to ask anybody here for their permission to do my job. And it was not to bitch about Jennifer. It was simply in response to posts in this thread that asked about whether there would be a journal or blog on which to follow her attempt.

My later posts were simply to clarify, or answer some of the posts that followed.

Please don't misinterpret my posts by twisting it into some sort of me vs. Jennifer thing. Sure I wish she would be more cooperative, but she has every right to not be and I respect that. I certainly don't want anybody thinking I feel she is obligated to make my job easier, or that I have any ill feeling towards her.

I look forward to talking with her after she is done and I hope the first thing I get to say to her in that interview is "Congratulations on your new record."

Rest assured that I have no intention of getting in her way or interfering with her hike in any way. When I go into the outdoors, I like to make as small a footprint as I can and to not interfere with anyone else' enjoyment of the outdoors, be it a trout stream or a hiking trail.

I take the same approach whether I am out there working on a story or out for my own personal enjoyment.

I have been writing about hiking/the trail since 2008, I have yet to have anybody complain about my actions (or my writing). I have met a lot of great people along the AT, heard a lot of amazing stories, and in short have had a blast learning more about hiking and the trail and sharing what I learn with other people.

I'll be sure to post a link on WB when the story is published. I hope folks will enjoy it as much as they have told me they have enjoyed previous things I have written about the trail.

Sly
06-09-2011, 14:03
When they run the Boston Marathon, do the leaders get followed by video cameras? Do still photogs set up at memorable spots on the route, certainly at the finish line, and take pics? Do you have a problem with them doing their job (which does not involve obstructing the runners, to be clear, just recording video and photos of them as the run past)?

You can try, but you really can't compare a historical race with tens of thousands of runners, and a hefty cash prize, to a solo journey. The only prize for setting a record on the AT is self satisfaction. If there's an end of the rainbow, it's going to come after she finishes.

stranger
06-10-2011, 08:19

If you've no problem with the Boston Marathon photogs, can you explain to me the difference between them and our friend here, Hoop Time? He's going to a public place - the Appalachian Trail corridor is federal property - to take photos of someone engaged in a newsworthy event - an attempt to set a new speed-record for a woman hiking the Appalachian Trail. He's doubtless not going to set up in the middle of the trail, but rather alongside it in a way that won't obstruct Ms. Pharr, or other hikers for that matter.

Do you think the stories you read in National Geographic or Outside, or TV documentaries such as on PBS, Discovery or the BBC just magically happen and don't involve the hard work of journalists and photographers very much like what Hoop Dreams describes? You gonna start boycotting these shows and magazines because of how terrible and obstructive their production is? :rolleyes:

What is wrong with you? I can't really take that post seriously.

First off, I read neither Outside or National Geographic, just to get that out of the way, I do read Wilderness and Outer Edge magazines. YES I ASSUMED ALL PICTURES IN MAGAZINES WERE MAGIC, ISN'T MAGIC WHAT MAKES WATER COME OUT OF THE TAP? Your post is a little magical in some ways!

Second, the Boston Marathon? How is that even remotely related to her hike? The Boston Marathon is a organized, famous race...she in hiking the Appalachian Trail. I don't know anything about the Boston Marathon, so I can answer your fairly irrelevant questions.

And for your last obscure and incorrect statement, No, I won't be boycotting anything that you mention.

Your post is amusing, can I follow you on Twitter?

jbwood5
06-10-2011, 09:12
Be aware that there is a Federal Law that may require you to get a permit (and pay Uncle Sam a fee) to film on Federal Lands which surely includes the AT. This could be enforced here, especially if you derive profits from any of your filming activities. Normally, this law is used out west, but could be applied to the AT, if the impact becomes significant (or if hikers complain of disruption to their experience).

I was reluctant to post this because I never really saw the AT (i.e. the Federal owned corridor) a place where a commercial enterprise would evolve.

See this link for more info:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_16_00000460---l006d.html

Driver8
06-10-2011, 10:04
Second, the Boston Marathon? How is that even remotely related to her hike? The Boston Marathon is a organized, famous race...she in hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Bullcrap. She's making an organized race run of the A.T., attempting to set a record, no mere. She has a sizeable support team which, in addition to supporting her on the run is also taking photo and video of her, evidently. Anyone who fails to see the newsworthiness - certainly the newsworthiness to the readers of the A.T.C.'s contituency - is ignorant, whether intentionally or no. That's the point as to both - Boston Marathon and Pharr attempted AT record, stranger - do you deny the newsworthiness?

She's also setting up to profit tidily from her run of the A.T. - it's not as though she's some innocent in swaddling clothes versus Hoop as some evil parasite. As emerald points out, organized runs like Pharrs, which are becoming a fixture of the trail, can in themselves be disruptive for other hikers and could end up having a greater impact on the corridor than the activities of mere individual hikes. Maybe Hoops should cover this angle of the story, including taking photos of as many members of Pharr's team as possible to show the scope of the enterprise.

And the photographers and videographers who work for [insert name of your favorite outdoors and nature publications and programs here], like Hoop, get paid for their work, pretty well all of them. This should come as no surprise - not sure if that point got past you.

stranger
06-10-2011, 10:24
I never said he didn't have the right to do his job.

I never said he didn't have a right to earn a living.

Speculation, speculation...settle down, maybe need a timeout?

I disagree that this hike is comparable to something like the Boston Marathon, I have no interest in debating this point, agree to disagree.

What I said is that Pharr should focus on her hike, plain and simple. If someone wants to cover the hike, then they should get out there and cover the hike, however, just because someone chooses to be a journalist, that does not mean someone like Pharr owes this guy a photo opportunity.

Don't make the guy out to be working at Walmart, forced to bag groceries, having no choice, journalism is hardly something any person is forced into by social means, she even offered him pics, he said no cause he needs to be paid, c'mon. He's not about the story, he's about getting paid.

She is entitled to hike the trail any way she sees fit, including utilizing a support team, AND denying the opportunity to volunteer her location in order to have someone take pics of her for the purpose of their own profit.

Do I think this hike is newsworthy? For me, not really, I find nothing interesting about a supported hike, unsupported is another story...however I don't have a problem waiting a few months to read the story if they choose to publicise themselves, or allow someone else to. Just because someone finds something newsworthy, does not mean anyone else should be compromised as a result. Call me crazy...

Driver8
06-10-2011, 11:07
I disagree that this hike is comparable to something like the Boston Marathon, I have no interest in debating this point, agree to disagree. ...

Do I think this hike is newsworthy? For me, not really, I find nothing interesting about a supported hike, unsupported is another story...however I don't have a problem waiting a few months to read the story if they choose to publicise themselves, or allow someone else to. Just because someone finds something newsworthy, does not mean anyone else should be compromised as a result.

She is attempting to set a record, and trail running is a growing pastime, an increasing hot "fad" (witness the best-seller popularity of Chris MacDougall's book Born to Run. You may not see it as newsworthy, stranger, but the fact that you and I and numerous others have chimed in on threads like this about her and others' long distance record attempts speaks to the level of interest in the A.T. community.

She of course is free not to cooperate. Hoop merely noted that her choice not to do so was surprising to him as it was a first for such long-distance trail runners. I wouldn't be surprised if her unwillingness to cooperate has more to do with a desire to control and reap maximum profit from her story than with some concern about imposition on her in the effort or some worry about her safety. I will not at all be shocked if she ends up penning, for nice compensation, a cover story in Outside or a similar outlet about her run, accompanied by photos from her team. If so, it would explain her unwillingness to help someone preparing a competing story.

stranger
06-11-2011, 00:30
Pharr is setting the record, she is the one who trained for it, she is the one hiking the trail...if she chooses, she should have the choice of penning her own story. Does anyone give Skurka crap for his business sense? Skurka is as business minded as they come, why is this any different?

Skurka wouldn't talk openly about his Alaskan trip for 6 months when he finished, why? Cause he in all likelyhood an an exclusivity deal with National Geographic, and the aritcle didn't come out to March the next year. Personally that disappointed me cause I wanted to hear about the trip, but you know what...I sent him a few emails and then bought the magazine when it came out. Problem solved! I guess I could have come on Whiteblaze and bagged him instead, somehow that thought never entered my mind. :confused:

And the fact remains, Hoop put up a post in a well visited, public forum, essentially 'bagging' Pharr by saying he was disappointed in her approach. If you are going to call someone out, they better have the right to reply...which she didn't, she's not a part of this thread. That's cowardly, no other word for it.

I'm disappointed everyday of my life by others...I don't come online and talk smack about it. If I have a problem with someone and choose to address it, I confront that person, I don't make public posts online.

Driver8
06-11-2011, 07:08
Pharr is setting the record, she is the one who trained for it, she is the one hiking the trail...if she chooses, she should have the choice of penning her own story.

As I've made clear, we agree on this, stranger. You're arguing with someone who agrees with you, like a dog chasing its own tail. Hope you're enjoying yourself! :)

... that disappointed me cause I wanted to hear about the trip, but you know what...I sent him a few emails and then bought the magazine when it came out. Problem solved!

Of course, you weren't contracted to photograph SKurka and write an article about him for a mass circulation magazine or newsletter, so where mere patience solved your problem, it won't do much good for someone whose job it is to report on a news story.

I guess I could have come on Whiteblaze and bagged him instead, somehow that thought never entered my mind. :confused:

And the fact remains, Hoop put up a post in a well visited, public forum, essentially 'bagging' Pharr by saying he was disappointed in her approach. If you are going to call someone out, they better have the right to reply...which she didn't, she's not a part of this thread. That's cowardly, no other word for it.

Jennifer Pharr Davis doesn't have the right to read this forum and to reply? Now that's newsworthy news to me!

I'm disappointed everyday of my life by others...I don't come online and talk smack about it. If I have a problem with someone and choose to address it, I confront that person, I don't make public posts online.

Except here, where you just have, about Hoop. And the big ol' world just keeps on spinning around. Kind of like you, fruitlessly chasing your own tail, except far more interesting ... and newsworthy. ...

mweinstone
06-11-2011, 07:29
meh, i bare my heart to anyone or device or pet that will listen. thank god for the jenn farr. for now on i want everyone to refer to jen as the jenn farr.

how you likeing the jenn farr?eh?

so, the jenn farrr hikes well?

and so? where is the jenn farr today my friend?

ah yes, the jenn farr, she is fast the jenn farr. that she is.

jose? come see! its the jenn farr! she comes this way way!

ahh...the jenn farr. see way. the jenn far she is good.

Lostone
06-11-2011, 09:37
Her right to run the AT ends were my right to walk it begins.

At this point I wish her the best......but the second I hear either her or her support crew interfere with or use more than her share of the trail then my opinion might change.

Impact to other hikers should be near zero.......

SOBO she should out distance them with in a day......

NOBO she should blast past in nothing flat....

I imagine her support crew will be more of an issue. Depends on the amount that they interfere with others as they set up and tear down every night.

I would like to think that they would make an effort to minimize their impact on others enjoying the trail.......but you never know......I have met some of these people who can be very inconsiderate.

mweinstone
06-11-2011, 09:55
Her right to run the AT ends were my right to walk it begins.

At this point I wish her the best......but the second I hear either her or her support crew interfere with or use more than her share of the trail then my opinion might change.

Impact to other hikers should be near zero.......

SOBO she should out distance them with in a day......

NOBO she should blast past in nothing flat....

I imagine her support crew will be more of an issue. Depends on the amount that they interfere with others as they set up and tear down every night.

I would like to think that they would make an effort to minimize their impact on others enjoying the trail.......but you never know......I have met some of these people who can be very inconsiderate.

i heard they all have degrees in being polite and friendly. i heard they won awards for non iterfearence. i read in the sunday new york times that the support team for the jenn farr were instumental in pushing hiker rights and have actually testified before congress on stepping aside and letting hikers go first. her team wrote the hikers first not runnes bill of rights. what the heck did you hear?

Carl in FL
06-11-2011, 11:00
[stepping out into the opinion arena]

It is just me, or is there a smell of jealousy in the air?

[/stepping out]

stranger
06-11-2011, 12:29
Driver8 I'm glad we agree on some things.

Whether or not someone was contracted to cover a story on Pharr is irrelevant.

Yes, Pharr can respond in theory, but how would she even know about the content of this thread? I hope Hoop emailed her directly to notify her of his comments here on Whiteblaze, otherwise it's cowardly.

I'm comfortable disagreeing with Hoop as he initiated the topic in a public forum, he made a comment about her denying him a photo and/or her approx location. The comment has a negative vibe in my view, I was not making an isolated comment without his knowledge, it was completely in context with his comments. I never said I didn't disagree with people angel eyes ;)

I'm happy to keep discussing this comrade, so after your last word please send me a PM and we can stop boring everyone with our little conversation.

Hoop Time
06-11-2011, 13:05
Never wanted to make any negative comment. Simply was responding to those asking about following her effort on a blog, etc., letting them know that might not be easy to do.

Again let me make it clear, I am wholeheartedly supportive of her effort. My story is not about her, or her hike. It is about speedhiking. I plan to include her views in the story, and all indications from Jennifer have been that she will be happy to talk about it when she is done.

I want to get photos of her to include because I don't think it would be fair to women in general for men to be the only ones portrayed in the story.

Anyhow, don't know yet if this means a change in her thoughts on being more cooperative while she is hiking, but I got an e-mail that I am pretty certain was sent out to many who had inquired about her effort that said:

On the trail...
Be back in August!
In the meantime feel free to check out our hiking blog at www.blueridgehikingco.com
If you are a media representative, who is interested in finding out more about our time on the trail this summer, then please contact [email protected]
Thanks and happy trails!

For what it is worth, I have heard she is sponsored by Salomon, (was told that by an endurance runner). Salomon is also repped by outside media.

Now enough discussion about my photos/story. Go Jennifer! Good luck.

emerald
06-11-2011, 21:11
Is it just me or does this hike have a better vibe than the latest crop of speed hike attempts?

It's just another through hike attempt by a 2000 miler and nothing to make a big fuss about. How long she wants it to last is entirely up to her. I hope she enjoys herself.

Violent Green
06-17-2011, 23:14
Regardless of anyone taking photos, videos, or interviews - she finishes in 50-52 days barring injury. Which is excellent.

Ryan

fiddlehead
06-17-2011, 23:43
Regardless of anyone taking photos, videos, or interviews - she finishes in 50-52 days barring injury. Which is excellent.

Ryan

I thought she was aiming for the 47 1/2 day men's record?
Where does the 50-52 day goal come from?

Driver8
06-18-2011, 00:12
Apparently she is averaging 56 miles per day to start and departed in the last few days. Doubtless the Whites will slow that, but it sounds like she's setting a great pace so far. Exciting. I wish her well.

perrito
06-18-2011, 18:56
Is there a webpage you can share?
Thanx

Red Hat
06-18-2011, 19:49
no, I don't think she is keeping one... my figures come from Warren Doyle who is a facebook friend and on her support team. According to him, she did the Kennebec this morning and has been doing 50+ miles a day... that would mean more than 200 miles so far (4 days).

One Half
06-18-2011, 19:52
Hoop - in case you did not hear about what happened to Nature Boy on the trail you should check it out. There are reasons she is keeping a low profile - primarily her personal safety - while doing the hike. Letting anyone know where she will be on a given day could cause her a problem. I think she is just being wisely cautious.

k2basecamp
06-18-2011, 20:07
Heard the parapackers have been providing low-level trail illumination not to mention keeping Warren Doyle well fed with fondue

Sly
06-18-2011, 21:19
no, I don't think she is keeping one... my figures come from Warren Doyle who is a facebook friend and on her support team. According to him, she did the Kennebec this morning and has been doing 50+ miles a day... that would mean more than 200 miles so far (4 days).

Hmmm.. I'm supposed to take someone up to Gorham on Monday. Maybe we'll see her.

GlitterHiker
06-19-2011, 12:10
She has a twitter account; one tweet mentions that friends are posting here:
http://twitter.com/#!/JenPharrDavis

nitewalker
06-19-2011, 12:46
hoop has the right to ask jen for an interview and she has the right to deny his request. for someone to take hoops post and make a tropicana twister out of it is wrong. hoop was just giving his 2 cents on why she wasnt willing to help with his request[her rite] and from what i have read on here hoop was just answering someones question that was posted here on WB...cut the guy some slack....or did i miss something! i have been absent for some time.....

Driver8
06-19-2011, 16:06
hoop has the right to ask jen for an interview and she has the right to deny his request. for someone to take hoops post and make a tropicana twister out of it is wrong.

I'm with you 100%, nitewalker. Not sure what stirs up such stuff. Unfortunate.

Blissful
06-20-2011, 19:17
I'll be in VT in 2 weeks but she'll be long gone by then. Oh well

triggerracing
06-21-2011, 01:31
She has a twitter account; one tweet mentions that friends are posting here:
http://twitter.com/#!/JenPharrDavis (http://twitter.com/#%21/JenPharrDavis)

Good luck with following the twitter account. One post when she got started. Her business and I see the reason for not posting real time updates, but I wish she had built in a better system of updating her progress. Guess we will just have to wait for the book.

triggerracing
06-21-2011, 19:54
http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/

Updated a few ago on her website

jbwood5
06-21-2011, 20:39

Updated a few ago on her website

Thanks for posting that.... very interesting.

triggerracing
06-21-2011, 21:28
Thanks for posting that.... very interesting.

You're most welcome, hope we get updates every few days. Looks like she's making good time.

map man
06-21-2011, 21:42
I like the way her group is doing the updates. A few days lag time and no specific dates mentioned -- just day 2, day 3 etc. Since there are no dates mentioned and I'm in no danger of revealing her present or projected location, here is an approximate reconstruction of her daily progress, based on her updates:

Day 1: Katahdin to Jo Mary Road -- 56 miles (56 total)
Day 2: Jo Mary Road to location near Long Pond Stream ford -- 44 miles (100 total)
Day 3: Long Pond Stream ford to Boise Cascade Logging Road -- 46 miles (146 total)
Day 4: Boise Cascade Logging Road to ME 27 (Stratton) -- 42 miles (188 total)
Day 5: ME27 (Stratton) to Sabbath Day Pond -- 41 miles (229 total)
Day 6: Sabbath Day Pond to Grafton Notch -- 38 miles (267 total)
Day 7: Grafton Notch to Gorham NH -- 31 miles (298 total)
Day 8: Gorham to Mt. Washington -- 34 miles (332 total)
Day 9: Mt. Washington to Gale River Trail Junction -- 30 miles (362 total)
Day 10: Gale River Trail Junction to Glencliff -- 38 miles (400 total)
Day 11: Glencliff to Hanover -- 43 miles (443 total)
Day 12: Hanover to dirt road near Stony Brook Shelter -- 36 miles (479 total)

(future updates of her progress will be at post #184 in this thread)

Very good progress so far! On day 4 she is due to cross East Flagstaff Road and that point marks the start point for the toughest 227 mile stretch on the AT (East Flagstaff Road, ME to Glencliff, NH). If she covers that stretch in six days (38 miles/day) or less she will be doing very well indeed and definitely on a good pace to reach her goal. If she covers that stretch in eight days (while phenomenal for us mortals) or more that might be a sign that she's behind where she wants to be.

In any case, keep on truckin'!

Trailbender
06-22-2011, 07:19
She shouldn't have an issue with that, I did high teens and low 20's through the whites, and I'm not even a phenomenal hiker. If she is already doing miles like that, they shouldn't be a problem.

fredmugs
06-23-2011, 07:18
She went past me on one of those days and I got to speak with her for about 30 seconds before she took off down the trail.

map man
06-24-2011, 00:21
I'm going to keep posting her daily progress by continually editing post #104 in this thread. They have now posted updates through Day 5. She has entered the toughest part of the AT and has still done 42 and 41 miles the last two days. Very impressive.

Her team said ahead of time that they thought it would be an advantage to not be tied down to road crossings as end-of-day destinations. It appears that at the end of Day 5 they employed this strategy for the first time, with at least some of her support team hiking in from Houghton Fire Road on a side trail to set up camp for her near Sabbath Day Pond (although it's possible that the extension of Houghton Fire Road that the maps mark as a trail might actually be something like a fire road). Otherwise her choices for stopping this day would have been ME4 (Rangeley, 32 miles, maybe too short?) and ME17 (45 miles, maybe too long?).

Slo-go'en
06-24-2011, 10:13
Cold, rainy and windy today. If she's in the Mahoosuc's or just getting into NH, it will be rough going. It should be starting to clear tomorrow and Sunday looks good.

Sly
06-24-2011, 10:30
Cold, rainy and windy today. If she's in the Mahoosuc's or just getting into NH, it will be rough going. It should be starting to clear tomorrow and Sunday looks good.

That's one problem with posting a speed record being a few days behind. I estimated her reaching Gorham last Monday or Tuesday, which would put her in Vermont about now. How's the weather there?

Slo-go'en
06-24-2011, 11:09
That's one problem with posting a speed record being a few days behind. I estimated her reaching Gorham last Monday or Tuesday, which would put her in Vermont about now. How's the weather there?

About the same, but at least she wouldn't be above tree line. If she was through NH earlier this week, the weather was great. Sunny, but cool and low humidity, which keeps the Black fly numbers down to acceptable levels.

Red Hat
06-24-2011, 19:29
Warren mentioned that it was cold and drizzly on Mt Washington earlier this week, so I suppose she is headed to VT soon, if she's not already there.

weary
06-24-2011, 20:13
I'm with you 100%, nitewalker. Not sure what stirs up such stuff. Unfortunate.
Well, I used to be able to reply to folks who post interesting information or questions. How I got to this particular nitewalker post reply is beyond me. But whatever. Perhaps White Blaze, if it's interested, can figure out such matters, or at least figure out how to avoid them.

Driver8
06-25-2011, 00:45
Warren mentioned that it was cold and drizzly on Mt Washington earlier this week, so I suppose she is headed to VT soon, if she's not already there.

I figure her to be among the Greens and below 4K until Virginia, unless she decides to summit the Killer big ski resort mtn along the way.

campingfever
06-25-2011, 01:04
Will there be updates during her hike? I would love to be at the trail to cheer her on as she passes.

Red Hat
06-25-2011, 09:32
Will there be updates during her hike? I would love to be at the trail to cheer her on as she passes.

already asked and answered.... her updates on twitter are behind a few days so folks won't know exactly where she is at any given time, for her own safety....

Sly
06-25-2011, 13:46
The sun just came out in Gorham, but the mountains are still socked in.

royalusa
06-25-2011, 14:08
Just read “outfitters in Caratunk have provided a canoe ferry twice a day so that hikers can avoid it, but Jen had her heart set on walking across. The water level was too high when we arrived at 6am (they raise and lower it at different times for the rafters upstream) so we went to an outfitter/lodge to soak in the hot tub, shower, and eat a big breakfast before heading back out at 7:45. The water level had gone down a foot or two to the point where Warren- who’s forded the river two or three dozen times- felt comfortable about the two of them crossing it.”

Wow. Is this really all true? I thought the water could rise and surge at any time depending on the dam upstream that uses it for power generation. It seems odd to hear that it is raised/lowered for rafters and seems odd that they would ford it, not knowing if a surge was about to happen. (See http://matc.org/Ferry.htm). Yes, I know others have forded it many times, but there’s also been at least 1 drowning too. How did they know a surge was not going to happen when they crossed?

max patch
06-25-2011, 14:30
Jen drank a big ol glass of Kool-Aid.

emerald
06-25-2011, 14:43
Only Warren could answer your question. Maybe they wanted to ford and took a chance there wouldn't be another.

I found especially interesting their encountering high water in the early morning hours in contrast to what certain individuals have preached here consistently.

Many threads on the topic of fording to which Warren contributed may be found here. Anyone interested in his thoughts on the subject may wish to refer to them.

Sly
06-25-2011, 14:50
Jen drank a big ol glass of Kool-Aid.

Looks like a fairly formidable ford. I's be reluctant to try it.

Trailbender
06-26-2011, 04:12
Looks like a fairly formidable ford. I's be reluctant to try it.

Yeah, considering it only takes 6 inches of fast moving water to knock you off your feet. Water that deep, no way I would ford. You have no control. They got lucky as hell.

weary
06-26-2011, 10:49
....How did they know a surge was not going to happen when they crossed?[/FONT]
They didn't. They trusted in luck -- or ignorance. The power surges tend not to happen until late morning, when the air conditioners come on during warm days. I hadn't heard about water releases for rafters, they and the dam owners may have worked out a compromise. Federal law requires that hydrelectric dams provide for recreational uses. Some hikers urged that a bridge be built as a condition of the dam relicensing a few years ago, but walkers don't have much influence in the halls regulators. But rafting businesses tend to be listened to.

weary
06-26-2011, 10:57
Rafting on the Kennebec tends to be an all day affair, starting early. So an early morning release seems logical. It would give the rafting businesses a slug of exciting water to follow downstream.

k2basecamp
06-26-2011, 16:06
Shin splints are tough to recover from without rest. Perhaps too many tough miles early vs a more gradual buildup. Lot of soft boggy miles the first couple of days probably different then what she had been training on.My unsolicited advice would be to stop rest heal and start again but south to north aug 1st
Her body is telling her something not the time to "woman up" to quote her husband in her blog update

Dave severanceCross country coach2000 miler2:18 marathon age 20 2:49 marathon age 50

Addy
06-26-2011, 16:28
thats GREAT... i am sooo routing or you!!!!! be careful!!!!!! maybe i will see you run thru Lincoln.....

map man
06-26-2011, 16:43
I've updated post #104 with her daily progress through day seven. She's done 298 miles in her first week!

jbwood5
06-26-2011, 19:34
Shin splints are tough to recover from without rest. Perhaps too many tough miles early vs a more gradual buildup. Lot of soft boggy miles the first couple of days probably different then what she had been training on.My unsolicited advice would be to stop rest heal and start again but south to north aug 1st
Her body is telling her something not the time to "woman up" to quote her husband in her blog update

Dave severanceCross country coach2000 miler2:18 marathon age 20 2:49 marathon age 50

The bad thing about shin splints is that if you don't rest, the end result will likely be a stress fracture. This is not good.

ChinMusic
06-26-2011, 21:25
mark......

Sly
06-26-2011, 21:27
I've updated post #104 with her daily progress through day seven. She's done 298 miles in her first week!

Reading a speed record attempt that is a few days behind is extremely frustrating. I could see if she were hiking alone but she's really not, and someone apart from the team that was determined to see her on the trail, or a crossing, could if they really wanted to.

BabySue
06-26-2011, 22:37
I suspect the husband's posts are intentionally a bit off from real time. This summer's other record seeker got his a** kicked, in part because he made it known where he was. I think the Davis's gleaned wisdom from that.

jersey joe
06-26-2011, 22:46
Thanks map man, Your cumulative post is very helpful for me in following Jenn's progress.

Red Hat
06-27-2011, 12:25
Here is a recent FB post from Warren Doyle who is on her team:
"Finishing up my Odyssa support duties this evening in the Green Mountains of Vermont. After 12 days she has flowed 488 miles through the rugged northern Appalachians at a average of 40.6 miles per day, Now the question is: will she be able to flow the remaining 1,693 miles in 35.5 days (an average of 47.7 miles per day)? Only time will tell." Jen also mentioned doing a 34 mile day in tough terrain, I suspect in the Whites.

Sly
06-27-2011, 13:12
I suspect the husband's posts are intentionally a bit off from real time. This summer's other record seeker got his a** kicked, in part because he made it known where he was. I think the Davis's gleaned wisdom from that.

Got his ass kick by what, or whom, the trail or the posters on Whiteblaze? Both are part of attempting such a feat and announcing your intentions. <<< I was thinking of the guy that attempted the North Country Trail

Of you mean, NatureBoy. IMO, there's more to that story than we've heard, (it was probably a local encounter, not one from over the 'net) and Jen is hardly hiking alone.

Sly
06-27-2011, 13:27
Anyway, according to Warren, near Killington is her last known whereabouts. Even is she only hiked her present average she'd knock a few days off her women's record. Without injury, chances are she's going come real close to the overall record.

Carl in FL
06-27-2011, 13:50
Now the question is: will she be able to flow the remaining 1,693 miles in 35.5 days (an average of 47.7 miles per day)?

That's 12 hours a day at 4 miles per hour continuous walking,
not including potty or meal breaks, nor time to just catch your
breath and take in a view. And for 35 to 36 days in a row.

It does not sound probable to me. However, I still hope she
can and does accomplish this.

Buffalo Skipper
06-27-2011, 13:56
Carl, not to dispute you, but remember she is trail running, and had been in hard training for months. That and she is carrying little gear. She averaged over 40 a day while going throught what is arguably the toughest 400 miles of the AT. From there it gets much easier.

I could never attempt what she is doing, but she is prepared for what she is attemping. Keep up with her progress as it is posted and you will see her daily progress steadily increase through the upcoming sections.

I would really like to see her break the record!

Carl in FL
06-27-2011, 14:30
Well I much prefer you to be correct than me.
Just would not bet money on it.

ChinMusic
06-27-2011, 14:49
Well I much prefer you to be correct than me.
Just would not bet money on it.

The odds are def against it. It is HARD work and you have to be lucky to boot. Lots of uncontrollable variables but she def has the tools to succeed.

I'm a rooting fan.........and "12 hours" would be a NERO......;)

Sly
06-27-2011, 15:40
I'm a rooting fan.........and "12 hours" would be a NERO......;)

Really, after all she'll have 14-15 hours of daylight over the course of her attempt.

k2basecamp
06-27-2011, 15:51
No news on her shins?

Red Hat
06-27-2011, 17:02
I think she is doing more like 15-17 hrs days

Sly
06-27-2011, 18:02
I think she is doing more like 15-17 hrs days

I haven't heard about him lately but Cave Dog who set all sorts of trail endurance records, only used to sleep 2-3 hours a day.

emerald
06-27-2011, 18:37
Endurance- or enduro-hiking is a much more apt term than speed-hiking.

ChinMusic
06-27-2011, 19:10
Endurance- or enduro-hiking is a much more apt term than speed-hiking.

Kinda agree. Lots of folks can do the requisite speed for a day or so. To do it day in and day out is a different thing.

Maybe Maso-hiking..........:D

map man
06-27-2011, 22:07
I've updated post #104 through day 8 now with her daily progress. Sounds like Redhat has Facebook info that she is through US 4 (Killington VT), 488 miles from the start, after day 12, but daily info for days 9 through 12 have not been posted on the web site yet.

Yukon
06-28-2011, 06:53
I haven't heard about him lately but Cave Dog who set all sorts of trail endurance records, only used to sleep 2-3 hours a day.

Yeah I wondered what happened to him as well. Didn't he do the LT in like 4 days or something?

map man
06-28-2011, 21:45
I've got post #104 updated again through day 10. She's done about 400 miles in ten days and has finished the toughest part of the AT. And it appears her shins are feeling better and that's good news.

Red Hat
06-29-2011, 11:43
thanks, Mapman, since Warren is not with her now, I am also relying on her posts which are about 5 days behind where she actually is.... While he was on her support team, he posted about a day behind where she was...

The Solemates
06-30-2011, 11:55
from another hiker's journal:

At 1 am, the AMC radio went off and woke us all up. They said some thru-hikers were missing and didn't show up at the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds. One of the hikers left Pinkham at 3:30---the only hiker who could make that distance that late in the day is Odyssa. I seriously hope she's all right. She's an inspiration, a hero where they are so few women role models. I am so proud of what she is trying to do...I hope the storm didn't get in her way,

is odyssa ok?

Driver8
06-30-2011, 13:06
from another hiker's journal:

At 1 am, the AMC radio went off and woke us all up. They said some thru-hikers were missing and didn't show up at the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds. One of the hikers left Pinkham at 3:30---the only hiker who could make that distance that late in the day is Odyssa. I seriously hope she's all right. She's an inspiration, a hero where they are so few women role models. I am so proud of what she is trying to do...I hope the storm didn't get in her way,

is odyssa ok?

Read the thread. She's accounted for, in her journal, as to Glencliff, NH. Based on pace, unless her shin is bothering her, she's likely in Mass or CT right now. If she were unwell, I imagine we'd've heard about that by now. I don't mean to be snide in saying read the thread - look at post #104, which Map Man is updating when Jen's team releases new journals.

The Solemates
06-30-2011, 13:39
right on.......

Sly
06-30-2011, 13:53
Read the thread. She's accounted for

Not only that.... "Apparently Jen Snores Now!" I think Brew will be paying for that one.

k2basecamp
06-30-2011, 14:10
Here's the link to the journal again

k2basecamp
06-30-2011, 14:22
Here's the link to the journal againhttp://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/

Blissful
06-30-2011, 14:48
Her journal also confirmed what I had said on a thread a while back, that the AT in the Whites SOBO is NOT well marked. Like one blaze on the Franconia Ridge.
(!)

Sly
06-30-2011, 15:06
Her journal also confirmed what I had said on a thread a while back, that the AT in the Whites SOBO is NOT well marked. Like one blaze on the Franconia Ridge.
(!)

One blaze one way, two on the other. The trails in the Whites (and the AMC ) are old school local, which means there are lot of smaller connecting trails which predate the Appalachian Trail, and you either need to know where you're going or at least have a good map.

Karl Meltzer
07-01-2011, 14:54
Well said Lone Wolf! :-) Next year I want a bigger steak!

Lone Wolf
07-01-2011, 15:56
Well said Lone Wolf! :-) Next year I want a bigger steak!so you're goin' for it next year? cool!

Jeff
07-01-2011, 16:15
According to NOBO reports, she is well south of Bennington, VT as of June 30th.

Driver8
07-01-2011, 16:44
According to NOBO reports, she is well south of Bennington, VT as of June 30th.

Unless she's ailing, I'd expect her to be in Conn. or past it today. Had hoped I might pass her out on trail and take a quick snap or two for keepsake, but it's not gonna happen. Headed to Greylockland Sunday for a waterfalls hike, which s/b fun. Hope she's doing well, feeling well and making good progress. If her ankles, knees, etc. are holding up ok at this point, I like her chances. Exciting!

weary
07-01-2011, 17:05
Except here, where you just have, about Hoop. And the big ol' world just keeps on spinning around. Kind of like you, fruitlessly chasing your own tail, except far more interesting ... and newsworthy. ...
The issue here is not about chasing "tails', but about reporting a "tale."

Karl Meltzer
07-01-2011, 18:07
Yah, I might, same type of format as Jenn with camping away from roads when I can. I'll have one mule for that, and two others, but we'll be scumbagging it all the way. No RV this time. It's still in the works, once I finish off my 8th 100 miler this year in late September, I'll be working on the perfect stealth crew, (which is already lining up). I'll certainly keep you informed on what's going on.

Jenn is doing great, she is handling the sleep deprivation well, amongst the many other obstacles out there. I'm rooting for her to chick me, so I can try and get her back next year. The AT rocks!

jbwood5
07-01-2011, 18:08
Well said Lone Wolf! :-) Next year I want a bigger steak!

Welcome to the board!!!!
Congrats on your Massanutten victory.

Lone Wolf
07-01-2011, 20:18
Yah, I might, same type of format as Jenn with camping away from roads when I can. I'll have one mule for that, and two others, but we'll be scumbagging it all the way. No RV this time. It's still in the works, once I finish off my 8th 100 miler this year in late September, I'll be working on the perfect stealth crew, (which is already lining up). I'll certainly keep you informed on what's going on.

would love to be part of the crew in some capacity. i know the trail and road crossings better than anyone from damascus to springer

Marta
07-01-2011, 20:24
Jen's most recent posting was pretty tough to read. She was sick and hurting badly.Experienced some trail magic in the right place at the right time.

Driver8
07-01-2011, 21:22
Jen's most recent posting was pretty tough to read. She was sick and hurting badly.Experienced some trail magic in the right place at the right time.

Serious trail magic, indeed. I feel like it would help her a lot to take a zero or a nero. She could probably get through to Harper's Ferry on that. But I'm just guessing.

Don't you love the photos they post in her journal, Marta (and others)? Really nice stuff. She's got a lot of heart, lot of soul, and I'm rooting for her, bigtime. Sounds like she might be in CT tomorrow, running slower than I'd credited her due to the G.I. trouble and the shin splints. I'll be on the other side of the state, so no sneaking out that way and hoping to snap a pic, much as I'd like to. :)

Lone Wolf
07-01-2011, 21:45
she can't afford a day off. game over

map man
07-01-2011, 21:58
I've updated her progress through day 12 in post #104. She's averaging just a hair under 40 miles per day through the first 12 days. On her website updates she's about to make the turn to the south in Vermont and that point marks the end of a long stretch (since East Flagstaff Road in Maine) that has had more elevation gain per mile than is average for the AT. From this point all the way to Waynesboro, Virginia is a stretch with less gain than average and she probably needs to average close to 50 miles a day in that stretch to be on pace.

Sly
07-01-2011, 21:59
she can't afford a day off. game over

They're talking about three or four days ago. Who knows what's happening now, but I would think we'd know if she quit.

Lone Wolf
07-01-2011, 23:12
They're talking about three or four days ago. Who knows what's happening now, but I would think we'd know if she quit.i'm saying if she takes a day off the game/record is over. i know she hasn't quit.

Carl in FL
07-02-2011, 12:21
Loss of a full day would be nearly insurmountable.
But then, what she is attempting is in the same class for most of us mere mortals.
No margin for error must be incredibly stressful, not beneficial in any way.

Karl Meltzer
07-02-2011, 14:21
Just like my attempt, each day gets tougher and tougher to catch up. If I were her, I would take one day off, and see how the shins feel. It may be a big difference. We must remember that she is trying to break the mens record. The womens record is still very doable.....very doable I repeat. She should keep going, and at least if things get better, she can put her old time to rest.

The elevation gain from southern VT all the way to Virginia, is quite a bit lower than Maine and NH, but I'll still say, it's all up and down and technical. My average speed was pretty much the same through these areas as they were in NH and VT. It really doesn't become smooth till Front Royal, VA where we can really add up miles.

It would be horrible to see Jenn get hurt and create damage that can't be fixed. LW, remember Ann Trason? :-(

LW, you are the man from Damascus-Springer, Bring that MS! :-)

Driver8
07-02-2011, 16:19
Just like my attempt, each day gets tougher and tougher to catch up. If I were her, I would take one day off, and see how the shins feel. It may be a big difference. We must remember that she is trying to break the mens record. The womens record is still very doable.....very doable I repeat. She should keep going, and at least if things get better, she can put her old time to rest. ...

It would be horrible to see Jenn get hurt and create damage that can't be fixed.

I'm in the same frame of mind as you, Karl. Better same than sorry - a stitch in time might just save nine here.

Driver8
07-02-2011, 16:19
Better SAFE than sorry. Clumsy fingers! :/

Karl Meltzer
07-04-2011, 14:27
Any ideas if Jenn is still moving?

Sly
07-04-2011, 14:50

The last update seems like it was more than a few days ago. I admire her attempt, but the way they're doing the updates it is ludicrous.

Red Hat
07-04-2011, 14:55

thanks to Warren doyle's facebook "Odyssa Update: Past: 19 days 805 miles 42.4 mpd Future: 28.5 days 1,376 miles 48.6 mpd. Goodbye New York. Hello New Jersey."

jersey joe
07-04-2011, 15:38
Wow, Jenn is in NJ already. Fantastic!

Driver8
07-04-2011, 16:55
When did he post that, Red Hat? I reckoned her through CT Friday, NY yest. So sounds about right. Progress - Jen'll be rocking on the rocks soon! :)

Red Hat
07-04-2011, 17:38
When did he post that, Red Hat? I reckoned her through CT Friday, NY yest. So sounds about right. Progress - Jen'll be rocking on the rocks soon! :) that was his facebook status for today, along with some pics of him and terry contradancing this weekend... I suspect he may be posting a day or so behind where she really is...

Karl Meltzer
07-04-2011, 23:57
The last update seems like it was more than a few days ago. I admire her attempt, but the way they're doing the updates it is ludicrous.

Definately tough for the public to pay attention to, but in reality, it's probably good for her, and the whole safety factor.

She's killing it.

jersey joe
07-05-2011, 14:42
I'm rooting for her to chick me, so I can try and get her back next year. The AT rocks!
HAHAHA, great post Karl! It is great to see you on here following Jenn's attempt.

map man
07-05-2011, 20:18
Day 2: Jo Mary Road to location near Long Pond Stream ford -- 44 miles (100 total)
Day 3: Long Pond Stream ford to Boise Cascade Logging Road -- 46 miles (146 total)
Day 13: Near Stony Brook Shelter to Danby-Landgrove Road -- 42 miles (521 total)
Day 14: Danby-Landgrove Road to near Kid Gore Shelter -- 43 miles (564 total)
Day 15: Near Kid Gore to Cheshire MA -- 47 miles (611 total)
Day 16: Cheshire to Great Barrington (MA 23) -- 49 miles (660 total)
Day 17: MA 23 to West Cornwall Road -- 48 miles (708 total)
Day 18: West Cornwall Road to NY 52 (Stormville) -- 49 miles (757 total)
Day 19: NY 52 to Arden Valley Road -- 49 miles (806 total)
Day 20: Arden Valley Road to County 519 (NJ) -- 45 miles (851 total)
Day 21: County 519 (NJ) to Fox Gap (PA 191) -- 52 miles (903 total)

I'm moving my update post to here now because I won't be able to edit post #104 after today (you can only edit posts for two weeks after the original post).

HiKen2011
07-05-2011, 20:21

Thank You Mapman, I hope she stays healthy and acheives her goal!

Carl in FL
07-05-2011, 20:38
Thanks for the update, map man.
It actually seems easier to find the update if it keeps moving.

Hoop Time
07-05-2011, 20:56
Interesting Odyssa post from the other day. She had an encounter with "Gobbler" (Adam Cassidy), who is running the trail NOBO. He will be included in the speed hiking story I am writing for AT Journeys. He is not trying for a record. He is just running because he is a runner, not a hiker. He has a limited window that he can take time off from work for an AT effort and figures if he ran he could get it done.
http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/tagged/Adam_Cassidy

Lone Wolf
07-05-2011, 21:42
hope she picks up the pace soon

Firefighter503
07-06-2011, 00:58
Awesome adventure she is on. Just makes me want to be back on the trail again. I think I just decided that I'm going to shoot for another thru attempt in 2013.

Sly
07-06-2011, 07:32

She did the 441.8 miles in the first 11 days at 40.09 mpd, and 363 miles the next 8 days at 45.4 mpd

Lone Wolf
07-06-2011, 07:45
She did the 441.8 miles in the first 11 days at 40.09 mpd, and 363 miles the next 8 days at 45.4 mpdlike i said...

Sly
07-06-2011, 07:48
Definately tough for the public to pay attention to, but in reality, it's probably good for her, and the whole safety factor.

She's killing it.

I know it's easy for me to say behind the comfort of a keyboard but how often is someone reading an internet journal stocking a hiker? It seems to me any type of violence on the trail has been random, and local.

Sly
07-06-2011, 07:52
like i said...

Yeah, she needs to average something like 49 mpd for the next 28 days in order to break the overall record.

Jack Tarlin
07-06-2011, 07:56
Sly:

Following a woman's hiking journal of course doesn't make you a stalker. But there are indeed people out there who follow journals who develop unhealthy or uncomfortable interests in some hikers; there absolutely are people who've been bothered or surprised on the Trail by Internet admirers. For this reason, there are plenty of women hikers who want to keep a public journal but who don't necessarily want the world at large to know their exact whereabouts every minute of their trip. And there's nothing remotely wrong with this wish, either. It's probably a smart decision to make, and one that should be respected.

jersey joe
07-06-2011, 13:16
We know the Northern section is much harder than the middle section and it makes sense that the mileage would be lower. I wonder how Jenn's hike compares to Andrew Thompson's record hike. Where was Andrew at the same point on his hike? (actually, did Andrew even hike SOBO?) I can't find anything for Andrew's hike that gives daily mileage.

BabySue
07-06-2011, 21:35
Sly:
In addition to the safety & comfort level factors that Jack T. so ably elucidated above, I will mention two other realities that affect Odyssa's blog updates. 1) Her husband has posted 14 days worth of progress, all with pictures, commentary, etc. Rather than lazy or "pathetic" (a word I think you used earlier), I consider that admirable. He's driving all over the place in mountains and small towns, sleeping in the woods, etc. etc. He doesn't have automatic Internet access. Simply put, I'm impressed and appreciative that he's posted as much as he has. 2) His first priority is being her support, not keeping us informed. He's under no obligation to us. Every pixel he's posted is more than he had to. Saying that you wish he'd do more for your ease of enjoyment is kinda like me asking you to bring me a cheeseburger in Tennessee. Sure, it's a lot of work and we're strangers, but it would be convenient for me.

map man
07-06-2011, 21:55
I've updated post #183 with her progress through day 15. It sure looks like she's bounced back from the low she experienced on day 12. She's one tough hiker!

map man
07-06-2011, 22:15
About Andrew Thompson. He made record attempts NOBO on multiple occasions and didn't make it. He got it done on his first SOBO attempt in 2005, if I'm not mistaken. I have found daily progress accounts for a couple of the failed attempts -- notably 2001 (NOBO) when he stopped after 43 days at Pinkham Notch when he saw he wasn't going to break the record. Google has failed me though in my search for a detailed account of his 2005 record hike. It would be fun to compare to this year's attempt. Here's a link to an account of that 2001 NOBO attempt:

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/at_at_2001/index.htm

Lone Wolf
07-06-2011, 22:20
i was with andy on his first attempt when he stopped at VT 11/30. he was ahead of record pace

map man
07-06-2011, 22:26
Here's an account of that 1998 hike by Andrew Thompson that Lone Wolf is talking about:

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/thompson.htm

Captain Blue
07-06-2011, 22:35
To me it looks like Day 15 is June 29. If this is correct there is quite a lag in the reporting of her progress. I wonder if her desire to stay out of the limelight will continue if/when she sets the record. (Usually authors and business owners seek publicity.) If she reaches Springer Mountain in record time will we hear about it a week later or when it happens? I do wish her the best of luck but the delayed reporting is a bit strange for someone attempting to break a world record.

k2basecamp
07-06-2011, 23:55
Very interesting reading Thompson's 2 unsuccesful attempts. I have a rare copy of Horton's Quest for Adventure and was unaware that Thompson had used it as his plan for his first attempt.. I wonder if Pharr Davis will continue to Springer and lower her women's record if it becomes clear that the overall record is out of reach.Perhaps Warren the keeper of records Doyle should keep separate sobo and nobo marks for supported and unsupported thrus. Finally what is the record for the most thrus ? is it Warren ?

Red Hat
07-07-2011, 10:00
Another report from Warren's facebook and apparently he is reading this thread because he mentions a comparison to Andrew...

Odyssa update: 21 days 902.7 miles 43.0 mpd +52.7 physical miles ahead (+ 29.7 time/clock miles ahead) of Andrew Thompson. Goodbye NJ. Hello PA.
(Future: 26.5 more days 1,278.3 miles 48.3 mpd) If all goes smoothly/strategically, Odyssa will shorten the endurance record by 5-7 hours.

I think Warren has nine thrus, and eight complete section hikes... not sure if anyone else has done more. Not going to debate the whole "it's not a thru, cause he didn't carry a pack" thing

Red Hat
07-07-2011, 10:15
His facebook says 34000 miles and 16 hikes so I must be wrong about one section hike. He started and ended with thrus... so it must be seven complete sections instead of 8.

BabySue
07-07-2011, 15:15
Yet another reason for Mrs. & Mr. Odyssa to lag their blog reports: I've been thinking, "Wouldn't it be neat to head out NOBO while she's coming through my area? Perhaps I could even get her book and have her sign it!" If a measly day hiker like me is entertaining such thoughts, then so are hundreds of other people. Odyssa can't afford to have hundreds of people on the trail for the purpose of meeting her. It's hard to sign autographs, be pleasant, climb a mountain, and have the squirts all at the same time.

WingedMonkey
07-07-2011, 15:22
Yet another reason for Mrs. & Mr. Odyssa to lag their blog reports: I've been thinking, "Wouldn't it be neat to head out NOBO while she's coming through my area? Perhaps I could even get her book and have her sign it!" If a measly day hiker like me is entertaining such thoughts, then so are hundreds of other people. Odyssa can't afford to have hundreds of people on the trail for the purpose of meeting her. It's hard to sign autographs, be pleasant, climb a mountain, and have the squirts all at the same time.

She's a wonderful woman and athlete and I respect her choice to report any way she chooses but....100's of people wanting to meet her? I don't know any hiker rock star with that kind of following.

:sun

Bilko
07-07-2011, 18:56
I was hiking the AT in NH a couple of weeks ago and came across Brew Davis at a road crossing. He told me that he was slack packing his wife. I had no idea about anyone trying to set any hiking record. I continue hiking north for a few minutes and then saw this girl flying down the trail. We talked briefly about the road crossing and her husband waiting for her. Not until now did I know her name. Good Luck Jennifer. I will take her less than 60 days to hike what has taken me 17 years.

Sly
07-07-2011, 19:23
Yet another reason for Mrs. & Mr. Odyssa to lag their blog reports: I've been thinking, "Wouldn't it be neat to head out NOBO while she's coming through my area? Perhaps I could even get her book and have her sign it!"

She signed the copy she gifted me at the Southern Ruck last year.

I consider Jen a friend, was encouraging of her present endeavor and offered to help in anyway I could with her crew, so you can stop lecturing me and speaking for Brew. My made my opinion known that I think they could do a better job of letting us know of her progress. After all they are the ones going for a record and announced it on the internet. I don't need all the bells and whistles, Tumblr, photos and videos. I just want to know how's she doing in regards of the record today, not a week ago.

If you have anything else to say to me, please do it privately.

Yukon
07-07-2011, 22:07
I think Warren has nine thrus, and eight complete section hikes... not sure if anyone else has done more. Not going to debate the whole "it's not a thru, cause he didn't carry a pack" thing

Trek completed his ninth this year, and I don't see that guy stopping any time soon. He could care less about a record though, dude's bad ass...

Lone Wolf
07-07-2011, 22:20
Trek completed his ninth this year, and I don't see that guy stopping any time soon. He could care less about a record though, dude's bad ass...hardly bad ass. just a guy with a lot of time and money and a touch of mental illness more than likely. it's just walkin' really

Yukon
07-07-2011, 22:33
hardly bad ass. just a guy with a lot of time and money and a touch of mental illness more than likely. it's just walkin' really

I met the guy, he was damn cool. I'd be willing to bet he has no mental illness, just loves hiking :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
07-07-2011, 22:35
I met the guy, he was damn cool. I'd be willing to bet he has no mental illness, just loves hiking :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksame trail over and over. mental illness. i can relate. i did it for years too. i'm cured

10-K
07-07-2011, 23:11
I think you'd have to be crazy to hike the AT 9 times.... :)

Lone Wolf
07-07-2011, 23:13
I think you'd have to be crazy to hike the AT 9 times.... :)OCD for sure

Mags
07-08-2011, 00:14

So many other trails to choose from. I loved my time on the AT..but there are other mountains to climbs, vistas to see and experiences to be had. I don't think I could hike the AT twice in five years..never mind back-to-back for nine.

Red Hat
07-08-2011, 00:20
hmm I find it interesting that folks haven't commented on the fact that Jen is ahead of Andrew's hike and still has a great chance at the record....

Yukon
07-08-2011, 06:43

Some people find comfort in familiarity. I asked him why he keeps hiking the same trail and his answer was that he's gotten to know the people along the trail and it's like visiting family each hike...nothing mentally wrong about that. Whatever happened to HYOH around here?

Yukon
07-08-2011, 06:44
hmm I find it interesting that folks haven't commented on the fact that Jen is ahead of Andrew's hike and still has a great chance at the record....

Agreed, thread sway for sure. Sorry bout that...back to the topic. It would be cool to see her beat the record!

Marta
07-08-2011, 07:04
Now I'm going to chime on with a cranky comment: Stop already with the harping on how women need to be cagey about their location because they might be stalked. The most recent report of stalking and attack had a male victim. Personally I think of physical attacks as unlikely freak occurrences which aren't worth worrying about, but if you are going to worry about it, you need to look at the facts and notice that attackers on the AT prey on men as well as women.

Marta
07-08-2011, 07:07
Back to the main topic... I think Jennifer has a really good chance of doing it. She's strong physically, even stronger mentally and spiritually, and is determined. That said, if it were easy everyone would be doing it. It's never in the bag until you're all the way there.

Driver8
07-08-2011, 07:54
Now I'm going to chime on with a cranky comment: Stop already with the harping on how women need to be cagey about their location because they might be stalked. The most recent report of stalking and attack had a male victim. Personally I think of physical attacks as unlikely freak occurrences which aren't worth worrying about, but if you are going to worry about it, you need to look at the facts and notice that attackers on the AT prey on men as well as women.

I think the delays in reporting are less about security - she's got a posse nearby always and is accompanied much of the time - than it is about their desire to maintain control of the depiction of her hike. She wants to be the one to tell the story, to provide the photos, video and accounts thereof. Think Major League Baseball announcement: "this broadcast is the sole property of JPD Productions, Inc., and any rebroadcast or retransmission without the express written consent of JPD is prohibited."

They want to maximize the extent to which they can monetize this effort and and the telling of the story. They don't want to make it easy for others to photograph or to video the story - it dilutes her product, her brand. The less precise is the public knowledge of her whereabouts, the more difficult and time-consuming it is for an "outsider" to take photo or video of her on trail.

I guarantee that if she's on record pace coming down the stretch into Springer, journalists will be alerted, because the hoped-for attendant rush of publicity will help her sell books, video, accounts in Outside magazine and the like.

And as I've said here before, she's within her rights as to the above, but in my opinion (which is within my rights to hold), they're taking it to an extreme. As rock and pop musicians are learning, the more publicity, the better, within reason - let the public in and spread your story further and wider, increase your prominence and celebrity. So long as she's not being impeded by a horde of shutterbugs and interviewers on trail (unlikely - this ain't the Olympics), I think she and her team should relax a little.

Oh, and of course I'm rooting for her to break the overall record and not just her own women's record. I think it's amazing. I don't like the idea of the A.T. becoming a heavily used racecourse, but I don't think that's a big worry, not yet.

weary
07-08-2011, 08:22
I think the delays in reporting are less about security - she's got a posse nearby always and is accompanied much of the time - than it is about their desire to maintain control of the depiction of her hike. .....I don't like the idea of the A.T. becoming a heavily used racecourse, but I don't think that's a big worry, not yet.
I suspect another reason is she doesn't want to be bothered by well wishers, and autograph seekers. BTW, the AT may become heavily used. IN some ways I wish it would be. Americans need to appreciate the outdoors more. But it will never be a "heavily" used racecourse. The physical demands are just too great.

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2011, 08:24
So many other trails to choose from. I loved my time on the AT..but there are other mountains to climbs, vistas to see and experiences to be had. I don't think I could hike the AT twice in five years..never mind back-to-back for nine.
So many women...:)

Hoop Time
07-08-2011, 09:00
taken at an undisclosed location. Behind her is former VP Dick Cheney

Hoop Time
07-08-2011, 09:10

Driver8
07-08-2011, 12:16
I suspect another reason is she doesn't want to be bothered by well wishers, and autograph seekers. BTW, the AT may become heavily used. IN some ways I wish it would be. Americans need to appreciate the outdoors more. But it will never be a "heavily" used racecourse. The physical demands are just too great.

I agree across the board. The more people out hiking, be it the A.T. or the local nature path, the better. Doubtless she wants to minimize hassle in all forms while on trail, and that makes sense. Doubtless the Trail is too formidable and overbearing to be just any old body's race course. I think the increasing popularity of trail running and speed hiking is a very good thing, in the first instance. It's important, though, to keep the well-being of the trails and their corridors top-most in mind and, so to speak, to tread as lightly as possible. I reckon we're probably in agreement there, weary.

Driver8
07-08-2011, 12:20
She doesn't look thrilled to see you, Hoop. :) Man, has ol' Cheney let himself go. Good for him - and his heart - that he's getting out and staying active. :sun

pafarmboy
07-08-2011, 12:47

Dang, those legs are ripped!

jersey joe
07-08-2011, 14:51
[QUOTE=k2basecamp;1178594]Very interesting reading Thompson's 2 unsuccesful attempts. QUOTE] I also found reading the accounts of Thompson's failed attempts very interesting. The frist time I read his attempt that ended in the whites I thought it was his record attempt and felt so bad for him when I read that he stopped.

jersey joe
07-08-2011, 15:21
I think the delays in reporting are less about security
Snorkel(going for the unsupported record this year) ran into Odyssa's trail crew and they were telling her about natureboy's attack and said they weren't posting live updates. It certainly seems that the delays in reporting are about security.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=352837

k2basecamp
07-08-2011, 16:28
And. . . Did snorkel get the record for women's unsupported?

Marta
07-08-2011, 17:37
If Warren is posting up-to-date info on his Facebook page, they can't be too paranoid about letting Jen's actual location out. I think the whole hike effort is a lot lower-budget and less supported than many people are assuming.

I'm more complaining about a general attitude that I often see on WB where people get all worried about women hiking around by themselves. There are a few prior posts on this thread which take that attitude, but it crops up whenever the subject of safety on the trail is brought up. My point is that hiking is just not that dangerous for anyone, and that it is not more dangerous for women than for men. To state it even more strongly: one of the safest places a person, male or female, can be is hiking alone on the AT.

That said, given the weird events surrounding Nature Boy earlier this summer, I would not be too critical of Jen's group if they decided to be a little evasive around her exact location.

Driver8
07-08-2011, 17:59
I generally agree with you, Marta. They're engaged, all of them and especially Jen, of course, in an intensive endeavor, and it's nice that they are posting informative notes along the way, so I shouldn't complain so much about tardiness or evasiveness. A good trail journal is always fun to read, and this one is especially good and fun, the moreso now that her shins seem to be cooperating.

I agree with you, too, that sometime the fear factor of getting out on trail is overemphasized. I admit a few years ago, when I first started to hike a bit more than a bit, I felt vulnerable at times out on the woodsy, semi-wild side of my well-settled suburban home town. Now, having logged a couple hundred plus miles in wilder territory, I feel less fearful and more confident all the time. Similar to my feelings of acrophobia on cliff-walks: with experience, strength, know-how - generally with increasing competence - confidence replaces fear.

Just looked at a rock climb yesterday with increased comfort which, on March 20, I appraised as daunting if not quite overwhelming. Boundaries expand and dissolve. And I prattle on. ...

Mags
07-08-2011, 18:38
So many women...:)

In between trails there were womEn. Now-a-days I'm strictly a one womAn guy. :)

Sly
07-08-2011, 21:38
Snorkel(going for the unsupported record this year) ran into Odyssa's trail crew and they were telling her about natureboy's attack and said they weren't posting live updates. It certainly seems that the delays in reporting are about security.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=352837

Nothing like a little hearsay to spice up a conversation. Did the "crew" know any of the facts behind NatureBoy's assault, that it was an internet stalker? By the sounds of it, NatureBoy doesn't even know.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2011, 21:51
Nothing like a little hearsay to spice up a conversation. Did the "crew" know any of the facts behind NatureBoy's assault, that it was an internet stalker? By the sounds of it, NatureBoy doesn't even know.i still contend it didn't happen

Mags
07-08-2011, 22:01
Just for the record, I did not post anything political. I just asked the political talk to stop..or as I said "Ixnay on the Political talk. :) Danke..."

With all due respect to our esteemed host, at least edit the posts so I don't look like a bigger jerk than I already am! :D

map man
07-08-2011, 22:38
I've edited post #183 (page 10) through day 16 now. I'm admiring her fortitude more with each journal entry. To hike through shin splints for days and then to keep at it through a day of miserable GI distress -- she's as tough as nails. I'm leaning right now toward believing she's going to pull it off (which I wasn't before she started). It appears she is averaging around 16.25 hours on the trail every day (according to Brew's updates), which is astounding to me. From reading about some of the other previous record setters, I think what's really setting her apart right now is not hiking speed but the amount of time she is hiking each day. I hope sleep deprivation doesn't derail her.

This may be too early to think about this but I'm already thinking about her final push. I'm guessing that if she stays on pace the sleep she gets the night after day 46 will be her last. If she is even as far as Winding Stair Gap (Franklin, around 107 miles from the finish), or closer, after day 46 she is likely that next day to hike all day, all night, and part of the next day to finish things off. If surmises on this thread are correct about the day she started (June 15, 4:06 AM) then she needs to get to Springer before 5:37 PM on August 1 to break the record. Warren Doyle apparently thinks (according to Red Hat) that she is on pace to finish around noon on August 1.

I feel kind of bad that I won't be near a computer on August 1 to see how it comes out, but not too bad since I will be hiking out in Wyoming!

Driver8
07-09-2011, 00:35
... I'm leaning right now toward believing she's going to pull it off (which I wasn't before she started). It appears she is averaging around 16.25 hours on the trail every day (according to Brew's updates), which is astounding to me. From reading about some of the other previous record setters, I think what's really setting her apart right now is not hiking speed but the amount of time she is hiking each day. I hope sleep deprivation doesn't derail her.

This may be too early to think about this but I'm already thinking about her final push. I'm guessing that if she stays on pace the sleep she gets the night after day 46 will be her last. If she is even as far as Winding Stair Gap (Franklin, around 107 miles from the finish), or closer, after day 46 she is likely that next day to hike all day, all night, and part of the next day to finish things off. If surmises on this thread are correct about the day she started (June 15, 4:06 AM) then she needs to get to Springer before 5:37 PM on August 1 to break the record. Warren Doyle apparently thinks (according to Red Hat) that she is on pace to finish around noon on August 1.

I'd like to see her near a day ahead of "pace" by Pearisburg. Grayson and the Smokies are not Maine and the Whites, but they are formidable, the weather surely will be hot and humid, and thunderstorms and other weather issues, aside from hazy, hot and humid can always present obstacles. Would love to see her have that cushion. She seems to be coming into strong form - I'd not be surprised to see her blow through to Harper's Ferry by Sunday late, if not sooner. That would stand her in good stead to climb to the Blue Ridge and SNP, crusing along nicely.

If she's down south in late July and it's hotter than heck, I'm sure she'll night hike as much as possible. This thing is unfolding slowly, but it is fascinating to watch.

Kerosene
07-09-2011, 09:13
With all due respect to our esteemed host, at least edit the posts so I don't look like a bigger jerk than I already am! :DToo late, Mags. You've now been stereotyped and will have to carry this stigma with you for the rest of your days. In fact, you're probably on a government watchlist now (or I am, just by typing this :eek:).

It's amazing to see the difference between Jenn's upper and lower body. If anything her upper torso is thinner than she appeared in her book, while her legs are now incredibly strong. Amazing how the human body adjusts to stressors.

Go Jenn!

Sly
07-09-2011, 10:10
And. . . Did snorkel get the record for women's unsupported?

I'm assuming she's finished, or just about finished since she had 214 miles to go, no more than eight days ago. I'd still like to know what the record is and who holds it?

map man
07-09-2011, 10:55
Sly, here is a link to Snorkel's final day entry. It was a very interesting final day! She finished in 80 days.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=354020

Sly
07-09-2011, 12:51
Sly, here is a link to Snorkel's final day entry. It was a very interesting final day! She finished in 80 days.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=354020

Yeah, that either got posted sometime today after my post or her journal page was cached on my computer. Kudos to Snorkel. Now if I find out whose record she broke I'll be happy.

Squeaky 2
07-09-2011, 14:16
my hat is off to Jenn. she is as tough as they come, thats for sure. she has done the hard part of breaking her body in in the earlier miles. if what warren is saying is true that she is a day ahead of andrew at this stage then that is awesome!

andrew did do the second half of the trail in about 21 days though. its going to be close.

come on Jenn:banana:banana:banana

map man
07-10-2011, 20:25
I've updated her progress through day 19 now at post #183 (page 10). She's really cranking out consistent 47 to 49 mile days in these recent updates.

Red Hat
07-11-2011, 10:06
Kudos to Snorkel. Now if I find out whose record she broke I'll be happy. Finally heard for the record keeper himself... Warren says it was Jenny Jardine.

Driver8
07-11-2011, 10:38
I've updated her progress through day 19 now at post #183 (page 10). She's really cranking out consistent 47 to 49 mile days in these recent updates.

Hope she's been able to get some mid-50s days in from NY to WV - since she needs to average high 40s henceforward, it's nice to have some miles in the bank.

Hoop Time
07-11-2011, 10:55
Now that she if further along, seems safe to update the location of the photo I posted was about a half mile north of the Route 183 road crossing (south of Port Clinton). If my calculations are correct, that would have been on day 23. Based on my best guess of where she likely ended that day, I'm guessing she needs to average just over 49 miles per day to make it, which, if she stays relatively healthy, seems doable.

WMR
07-12-2011, 12:07
If she was at Port Clinton end of last week, she should have made Harpers Ferry Sunday or yesterday - any word of her passing through?

Driver8
07-12-2011, 13:41
To Delaware Water Gap by last Tuesday, per the most recent update. She's probably well into VA by now.

map man
07-12-2011, 22:17
I've updated her daily progress through day 21 now at post #183. Since we haven't gotten any of Warren Doyle's Facebook updates via Red Hat for a while, this week-behind info is all we've got right now. Since her low point on day 12 (and her transition into easier terrain when she turned south in Vermont), she has been averaging 47.1 miles a day for the last nine days of web-site entries. If she keeps that up for her second block of 21 days she will put herself in good position for a final push. I'd sure love to know how her last week has gone.