PDA

View Full Version : Places with micro, but good, resupply

chris
01-20-2005, 19:12
As with a previous thread, I'm putting this here because resupply is very important for thruhikers. Unlike the previous thread, this one is for small places that you might not have considered buying in.

1. Neels Gap. Plenty of basics, the trail almost goes through the store.

2. NOC. Limited choices, but I had no problem getting enough food for the short run to Fontana.

3. Fontana. I've only been here out of prime hiker season (in May and September), but both times there has been plenty of food. I've been told, and it has been written (see Jack Tarlin's resupply article), that buying here during hikertime is a bad idea.

4. Atkins. The mini mart in the Shell station was perfectly adequate. The trail dumps you out right in front of it.

5. Troutville. The store in Troutville has more than enough, but I can't see much of a reason for going into Troutville (I did). It is past the PO.

6. Road at Four Pines Hostel. After coming off the Dragon's Tooth, you hit a road. To the left, about 10 minutes down, is a store that has hot subs and is surpsingly good for resupply, including HEET.

7. Harpers Ferry. Between the 7-11 (which is next to a nice pub), the Outfitters, and the hostel (which is down the trail a bit) can be combined for a reasonable resupply.

8. Boiling Springs. The main gas station in town was surpisingly good, but I wouldn't count on it if you are in the least picky. It was fine for me and I even sent out a maildrop from here. You are not far from Duncannon at this point, so a big meal at Anile's and then a big dessert at Theo's should more or less get you to the Doyle with only a few snacks.

9. Delaware Water Gap. Ok, this is pretty sketchy, but the gas station next to the main motel in town had just enough supplies to get me to Unionville, which isn't far down the road. If it doesn't work for you, you can always hitch down the way to Stroudsburg. Also, the Outfitters in town has denatured by the ounce and was letting hikers camp out behind the shop.

10. Unionville. Accessed from the NJ trail. About a mile down the road to the left (and then another left). Friendly PO people. The store is really rather good (for me), but they don't take credit cards. They do have an ATM, though. I'm surprised more people don't go in. I think A-Train suggested this to me, and it worked out well. I met a couple of people who stayed in the "hostel", but didn't like it much. They ended up leaving and staying in the park (someone did give them permission).

11. Honey Hill Farms. Can't remember the exact road, but it is in NJ and described in Wingfoot. If you are a fan of baked goods, you can resupply here with quality snacks and breakfast things.

12. Some place on a road crossing in New York. I don't have Wingfoot around and my journal is worthless here, but there is a road crossing about 10-15 miles after Greymoor in NY. A mile to the right is a small mini-mall with a pizza place and a store next to it. The store is good for resupply if you are not picky (i.e, it has all the basics like Mac and Cheese, ramen, etc). Hopefully someone will come up with the right road.

Sorry about the sketchy details at times. Hopefully people can fill some in.

MOWGLI
01-20-2005, 19:50
There is a CVS in Greenwood Lake, NY. That's down the hill to the right at RTE 17A. To the left on 17A - about 1.5 miles is the Bellvale General Store. You can get cold drinks, great sandwiches and snacks there.

orangebug
01-20-2005, 21:46
Hampton, TN (Dennis Cove and Kinkora) has a small grocers or two for decent resupply. Big grocers are a bit further in Elizabethtown.

There used to be a small deli (Bentley's if I recall correctly) in NY south of Bear Mountain. I understand it has closed.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 22:18
Can't list em all off the top of my head. I think we may be re-inventing the wheel here. Suggest reading Baltimore Jack's re-supply/maildrop list which is listed on WhiteBlaze.

'Slogger

chris
01-21-2005, 11:05
Can't list em all off the top of my head. I think we may be re-inventing the wheel here. Suggest reading Baltimore Jack's re-supply/maildrop list which is listed on WhiteBlaze.

'Slogger

I referenced it in my above post, but should have drawn more attention to it. I wanted to see if whiteblaze could come together and put together something useful in short order. That is, if collectively people here would be able to throw down an almost useable resupply list for future thruhikers, and to do so in as short a time as possible. I couldn't think of anything more original than resupply.

Footslogger
01-21-2005, 11:27
Just thought of another one ...

Montebello, VA. If you get off the trail at Fish Hatchery Road and catch the ride into the "Dutch Haus" hostel (free lunch, by the way) the owners will drive you into the town where there is a little convenient store/market and a post office.

'Slogger
AT 2003