PDA

View Full Version : Alps Mountaineering

Graywolf
04-13-2011, 22:13
I havnt seen many folks here use any Alps Mountaineering equipment and was curious just who does.. I have there Cascade 5200 pack, and even though its on the heavy side, I love it.. rides on the back well and my back breathes.. Very compartmentalized for those who like to be organized. I like that the lid can come off to be used as a fanny pack for short walks or left off all together to cut back weight...

What is you experiance with Alps??

TexasEd
04-14-2011, 00:32
I have an Alps Zephyr 3 tent and I love it.

Their customer service really won me over recently when one of the tent pole "feet" broke when my nephews took it down. I called them and a nice woman answered, no touch tone menu. I described what I needed, she said she would make sure I got the right size, took my name and address and said have a great day before I could ask how much it would cost. 4 days later it was in my mail box.

tickspit
04-14-2011, 05:29
My Denali Alps pack fit like a glove and was very well designed, However after 2 months on the AT it slowly came apart starting with the shoulder straps. I returned it for a refund.

mister krabs
04-14-2011, 07:41
Love my zephyr 3 for canoe and car camping. It's a bit heavy for backpacking, but not too bad when split with my son during skeeter season. It compares well to the Mutha Hubba and most any tent of it's size. I also have a taurus 5 outfitter model that is bombproof and a great basecamp family tent. I've had my eye on their externals, and will probably jump on one of them one of these days. None of their other backpacks appeal to me.

Deadeye
04-14-2011, 09:15
I've had a number of ALPS products. They're generally of very good quality, well-built, and durable. Tend to be on the heavy side.

rpenczek
04-14-2011, 09:28
Lot of Alps gear is used by Boy Scouts (they get a really nice discount). Our Troop has 6 of the Merimac tents (4 person tents I beleive). We would never use them for backpacking, but they are great basecamp tents.

Key thought here, these tents are used monthly by boys (read abuse gear) and they have held up well.

At Philmont last year, I had one boy with an Alps pack, he didn't complain about it and it appeared to serve him well.

JaxHiker
04-14-2011, 09:33
I've got a nice self-inflating pad from them that I use for car camping. I'm in a hammock if I'm on the trail.

Buffalo Skipper
04-14-2011, 09:41
Our troop uses Alps tents as well. We are mostly pleased with them, except that the poles seem to break frequently. We usually have one break every other campout with 10 tents. That's a 5% failure/usage rate, which is poor. But we purchased spares, and there it has been a good exercise in how to repair. I can replace a broken pole in under 5 minutes, and several of our scouts can do it in less than 10. These are the fiber glass poles. I wanted to order aluminum, but it was more cost than some were willing to pay.

Several of our scout have Alps backpacks. For our smallest of scouts, the "Red Rock" external frame is great. This is for boys who are 80ish pounds or less. It is small and well supported. The Zion is comperable to a Kelty Yukon, but 20% larger. Very good pack.

For internals, we have several scouts with a now discontinued model. They seem to be holding up well. They take them car camping once a month and backpacking 2-3 weekends a year.

TexasEd
04-14-2011, 17:24
Love my zephyr 3 for canoe and car camping. It's a bit heavy for backpacking, but not too bad when split with my son during skeeter season. It compares well to the Mutha Hubba and most any tent of it's size. I also have a taurus 5 outfitter model that is bombproof and a great basecamp family tent. I've had my eye on their externals, and will probably jump on one of them one of these days. None of their other backpacks appeal to me.

We use my Zephyr 3 as a 2-person tent and split the weight between 2 packs which brings it down to about 1.25Kg/2.75Lbs each.

BadAndy
04-14-2011, 19:20
I recently replaced a ALPS self inflating pad. Worked great and was fairly comfortable, but at 4 lbs was just way to over the top.

Franco
04-14-2011, 21:48
There is another thread discussing the Zephyr 3, so I am just curious to know what the actual weight (inner/fly/pegs/poles) is. (I know the manufactures given weight...)
Franco

swash
04-14-2011, 22:57
I have the zephyr 2. For only a hundred bucks, and 8 oz heavier (if I'm looking at the correct weight specs), it's a pretty good starting tent. I've used it as a true 2 person tent for 5 nights and there is certainly enough room in it. Construction is nice too.

Graywolf
04-14-2011, 23:12
I am presently awaiting the arrival of the Mystique 1.5.. Looks to be just over 3 pounds.. Im not buying it. They are sending it to me to test and review.. So Im looking at what others say, and what my initial remarks will be.

As I posted I do have the 5200 pack and even though a little on the heavy side, (my Deutrer weighs in at just under 3 pounds), I like the way it fits and rides on the back. It is very comfortable.... And that is with a heavy (5 pound) tent..

Cant wait to get this out on the trail. One thing I do see that I already like is it is a side entry tent and not a front entry.. But we will see when it comes in...Im looking forward to this...

Graywolf

Graywolf
04-14-2011, 23:13
I am presently awaiting the arrival of the Mystique 1.5.. Looks to be just over 3 pounds.. Im not buying it. They are sending it to me to test and review.. So Im looking at what others say, and what my initial remarks will be.

As I posted I do have the 5200 pack and even though a little on the heavy side, (my Deutrer weighs in at just under 3 pounds), I like the way it fits and rides on the back. It is very comfortable.... And that is with a heavy (5 pound) tent..

Cant wait to get this out on the trail. One thing I do see that I already like is it is a side entry tent and not a front entry.. But we will see when it comes in...Im looking forward to this...

Graywolf

No, I am not making my remarks with what others say. Just thought I should clearify that up...

wcgornto
04-15-2011, 00:01
My Denali Alps pack fit like a glove and was very well designed, However after 2 months on the AT it slowly came apart starting with the shoulder straps. I returned it for a refund.

Yours lasted two months longer than mine did. Mine lasted three days before it started to come apart.

TexasEd
04-16-2011, 00:16
There is another thread discussing the Zephyr 3, so I am just curious to know what the actual weight (inner/fly/pegs/poles) is. (I know the manufactures given weight...)
Franco

I just weighed mine with a digital fish scale for you.

poles (in bag) 1lb 4 oz
tent and fly in bag 3lb 14 oz
footprint 10 oz
stakes and tie out 3 oz

I then weighed the fly in bag 1lb 15 oz
tent in bag 2lb 2 oz
bag 3 oz

Franco
04-16-2011, 01:06
Thank you very much.
Franco

Rangerman40
04-17-2011, 00:28
I love Alps stuff. For the money it's hard to beat. I have the Denali 5500 which is very comfortable on my back, the Zephyr 1 for when I'm by myself, and the Chaos 3 for when my wife and I go hiking together. Also have 2 of the lightweight (lol) series pads.

Graywolf
04-18-2011, 10:40
Just received the Mystique`1.5 for reveiw. Once I can get it out on the Trail I will geta reveiw up.

Rangerman40
04-19-2011, 01:14
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose non freestanding over say the Zephyr series?.... I'm guessing side entry and dual vestibules.

Toolshed
04-19-2011, 07:22
Back around 5-6 years ago, I was in their testing program and tested a few tents for them the 1.5 Mystique was one of them. I was quite pleased with their offerings, construction and material. I knew not to expect MSR quality, but I was surprised to see how nice their gear was (Material, P/U coatings, stitching/stitches per inch, design, pole material, hot taped seams, zipper selection, buckles and a few other things.)..
Yes, their gear is a little heavier and not ultralight. However, (IMMHO) the market that they are focused on is scouts and outdoorsmen and their families. I think of outsdoorsmen, not primarily of backpackers, but hunters & fishermen. Based on this market, the gear is made a little heavier/beefier to stand up to abuse (especially scouts).
But if you were on a budget, looking for a nice tent and didn't mind the extra pound or so, I wouldn't hesitate to look at Alps. Plus they offer many more selections now than Camptrails/Eureka does (One of the more original boy scout outfitters) and they offer their scout discount program.

Graywolf
04-19-2011, 23:02
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose non freestanding over say the Zephyr series?.... I'm guessing side entry and dual vestibules.

I didnt, they did for me. You cant complain when a company sends you free gear...

Graywolf
04-19-2011, 23:08

Also I dont see the Zephyr on Alps site.. The lightest on their site, is the Mystique...

Sierra Echo
04-19-2011, 23:21
I have a ALPS Mountaineering external frame pack that I got at the REI scratch and dent sale for $20. I got it for decorational purposes as I like to hang packs and other backpacking/camping themed stuff in my bedroom. I doubt I will ever use it but my dad and uncle were arguing over who was gonna get to use it when they go on their elk hunting trip to Colorado. My pack aint going on any hunting trip! *snort*

Rangerman40
04-21-2011, 00:54
Also I dont see the Zephyr on Alps site.. The lightest on their site, is the Mystique...

Mystique 1.5
Base Size: 4' x 8'
Center Height: 3'
Vestibule Depth: 20"
Tent Area: 25 sq. ft.
Vestibule Area: 13 sq. ft.
Tent and Fly Weight: 3 lb. 14 oz.
Total Weight: 4 lb. 3 oz.
Packed Size: 5.5 " x 18"

Zephyr 1
Base Size: 3'8 x 7'2
Vestibule Depth: 23"
Tent Area: 23 sq. ft.
Vestibule Area: 5.5 sq. ft.
Tent and Fly Weight: 3 lb. 10 oz.
Total Weight: 3 lb. 14 oz.
Packed Size: 6" x 18"

Fairly similar tents overall except for the vestibule space and the freestanding/non freestanding difference. The lightest tent they make, the Mystique 1.0 weighs in at 3lb 11oz. For 3oz more I'll take freestanding any day. I do agree with your earlier comment though. You can't argue with free gear!!! :D Enjoy your Alps stuff!!

SMSP
04-21-2011, 10:16
I tested their Mystique 1 AL and was pleased with it overall. I prefer a free-standing tent, but wanted to try a non free-standing. Attached, are the reviews I did. I am considering obtaining and reviewing their Zephyr 2.

SMSP

Graywolf
04-21-2011, 12:51
Mystique 1.5
Base Size: 4' x 8'
Vestibule Depth: 20"
Tent Area: 25 sq. ft.
Vestibule Area: 13 sq. ft.
Tent and Fly Weight: 3 lb. 14 oz.
Total Weight: 4 lb. 3 oz.
Packed Size: 5.5 " x 18"

Zephyr 1
Base Size: 3'8 x 7'2
Vestibule Depth: 23"
Tent Area: 23 sq. ft.
Vestibule Area: 5.5 sq. ft.
Tent and Fly Weight: 3 lb. 10 oz.
Total Weight: 3 lb. 14 oz.
Packed Size: 6" x 18"

Fairly similar tents overall except for the vestibule space and the freestanding/non freestanding difference. The lightest tent they make, the Mystique 1.0 weighs in at 3lb 11oz. For 3oz more I'll take freestanding any day. I do agree with your earlier comment though. You can't argue with free gear!!! :D Enjoy your Alps stuff!!

Ok, you still havnt answered myquestion, where is the Zephyr? It isnt listed on there site. Is it discontinued? I myself prefer freestanding tents, but then I prefer free gear more. Thans for the comment..

Buffalo Skipper
04-21-2011, 12:54
Check this out:
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/tents/lightweight-tents
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/tents/lightweight-tents/zephyr-1
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/tents/lightweight-tents/zephyr-2
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/tents/lightweight-tents/zephyr-3

Graywolf
04-21-2011, 12:56
Ok, Im a dumbass.. I found it. Looks like the reson why the Zephyr is lighter is because it is completely mesh, which I have never really liked. But overall, looks like a good tent, may egt ont to compare... Thanks everyone..

Buffalo Skipper
04-21-2011, 13:18
Before came off the ground into a hammock, I had seriously considered the Zephyr as a lighterweight alternative to my Mountain Hardware Viperine2. I then considered a Zephyr for my son, but he inherited my Viperine and loves it.

Old Hiker
04-21-2011, 14:14
Mystique-1 has been on Steep and Cheap a few times for about $75 delivered . I bought one, but haven't set it up yet. My wife likes the Zephyr I bought her a while back. Seem to be good tents. She stayed dry in a heavy downpour in NC last summer.

Graywolf
04-21-2011, 14:55
I really do appreciate everyones comtents. This is the first time a company has asked me to do a test and a review so everyones comments are helpful. I think Im gonna love this project as it gets me away from these four walls....

arthur.uscg
04-28-2011, 11:28
Alps renames their tents every time there is a design change I have the Comet 2.0 which is the previous version of the Mystique series tents.

It works great as a 2 person tent. Is long enough for tall people not to have their bags resting against the side of the tent, wide enough to have some items next to your sleeping bags and the vestibules are big enough to have the pack in them and still allow you to get out.

It is a great tent for the price and the weight it not to bad. You will need to pack all of the stakes.