PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks for small waists

Slugsworth
04-14-2011, 00:30
I've been backpacking for over a decade and have had a hard time finding a backpack with a small enough waist - I'm about a 29" maybe 30" waist and always have the belt at it's tightest possible setting.

I'm about 5'7 and have had the best luck with using a medium torso backpack and a small sized belt - but I'm trying to convert to a lighter weight style of backapcking with a sub-3lb pack, ideally with some sort of frame for wieghts as high as ~35lb (sometimes I get out for a week). Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm considering a woman's backpack because of the tendancy for smaller waist sizes, does anyone know of any drawbacks to this? I am also considering trying to make my own pack, but since I have never sown anything this is a little daunting.

Thanks!

RevLee
04-14-2011, 05:59
Take a look at the ULA packs (http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp). They can be ordered with a smaller waist belt and can handle your maximum weight.

Trailbender
04-14-2011, 08:53
Actually, the belt goes around your hips, not your waist.

skinewmexico
04-14-2011, 09:17
Swappable belts on some of the Gossamer Gear packs too.

Slugsworth
04-14-2011, 11:51

Yes, it does. . .correction I have a 29" - 30" hip line, not waist.

I've had such bad luck fitting packs I've been a little hesitant ordering a custom back from the garage manufactures since I can't try them on in advance. Maybe a semi-custom pack is the solution though. . .

Wags
04-14-2011, 21:47
www.zpacks.com (http://www.zpacks.com)

he'll make anything custom you want...

fredmugs
04-14-2011, 22:08

REALLY? The belt goes around your waist so your hips can bear the load.

Slugsworth
04-19-2011, 15:57
Any other suggestions on packs? I was hoping to find something from a large enough company that I could try out a pack locally before purchasing it. . . and hopefully a little cheaper than ULA.

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 16:49

No, the belt goes around the iliac crest, the "bony" part of your hip you can feel. This is a load bearing structure, and makes most of the pack weight go to your hips instead of the spinal column. Not trying to be nitpicky here, but there is an important distinction. I clip the belt where half is above and half is below the bony part of my hip, with the belt tight enough to hold the weight, but not tight enough to inhibit movement or be painful.

Bear Cables
04-19-2011, 19:04

That's the way I wear it as well.

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 20:15
That's the way I wear it as well.

If that works for you, keep it up. I was just stating the best way to wear a hip belt for load distribution. If it is on your waist, your lower back takes most of the strain when you move, and your lower back is the weakest part.

bflorac
04-19-2011, 23:43
My 13 year old daughter with a 24" waist and 28" hips, who section hike with me uses a Gregory Jade 50, XSM. She seems to like it very much but it really is the only pack she has hiked long distance with. The hips are very adjustable along the back (more than via the clip belt) so be sure to get it fitted.

Doc Mike
04-20-2011, 07:32
My son wears a deuter pack. They are a large company so finding one locally should not be an issue. He is 12 and 108 pounds and plenty of adjustment in the waist belt.

HeartFire
04-20-2011, 09:55
If that works for you, keep it up. I was just stating the best way to wear a hip belt for load distribution. If it is on your waist, your lower back takes most of the strain when you move, and your lower back is the weakest part.

This is not necessarily true. I too wear the belt on my waist so it sits on the hip bones, I never ever feel any strain on my lower back. (and I've had lots of low back issues). When the weight is distributed properly in the pack to balance out your center of gravity (and I've found this to be different for men and women) , and the load lifter are keeping the weight of the pack off the top of your shoulders, the pack should ride very comfortably and not cause any strain on your body.

q-tip
04-21-2011, 14:23
Granite Gear Vapor Trail with small hip belt--only 2.8 with lid...worked best for me even at 30 lbs....

Trailbender
04-21-2011, 14:45
This is not necessarily true. I too wear the belt on my waist so it sits on the hip bones, I never ever feel any strain on my lower back. (and I've had lots of low back issues). When the weight is distributed properly in the pack to balance out your center of gravity (and I've found this to be different for men and women) , and the load lifter are keeping the weight of the pack off the top of your shoulders, the pack should ride very comfortably and not cause any strain on your body.

i was speaking from medical experience, and human physiology, as well as what I have been taught about carrying packs in the military. The hip belt needs to be around your iliac crest to be worn properly. I didn't say you couldn't wear it any way you wanted to.

Slugsworth
04-26-2011, 23:00
SO - I think I'm settling on a ULA catalyst but wanted to confirm that it was not overkill for weekend and long weekend trips when I would otehrwise be using a 45L pack - which I think is the same size as the actual main bag. Any thoughts? I've got a ~20lb base weight.

Slugsworth
04-27-2011, 18:10
SO - I think I'm settling on a ULA catalyst but wanted to confirm that it was not overkill for weekend and long weekend trips when I would otehrwise be using a 45L pack - which I think is the same size as the actual main bag. Any thoughts? I've got a ~20lb base weight.

This can be ignored - I ended up calling ULA and after talking with them and reading some other posts ordered the Circuit.