PDA

View Full Version : Be Gentle

mybackpackingblog
04-14-2011, 12:41
So, here is one I have had to deal with for some time now. My wife loves camping....car camping that is...where there is a built in fire place, restrooms, showers, etc. She is becoming a backpacker...HOWEVER! The dreaded bathroom issue is still lingering....

So, we went backpacking last week as a family. Myself, my lovely bride and my two sons (9 & 13).

Using the bathroom in the woods is very unsetteling to her for some reason.

So, here is what I did for her. You may think it to be overboard, but hey, atleast I was able to get her to backpack with me...5 months pregnant ha! She loved it and wanted to go, so shut up!....:banana

I pack a 6x8 tarp and some paracord....found two tree and literally made her an outhouse...I had a rope that went from the tent to her "outhouse". On the tent side of the rope I had a dry sack with all you would need in it....

What you all done to solve this problem? Any other suggestions? Heaven forbid...#2 arrives at camp....:confused:

P1nkPanther
04-14-2011, 13:26
How long has she been backpacking with you vs car camping? Could be she just needs more experience to feel comfortable.

You are a better man than I. (Besides the fact I'm a woman). I think I would just tell anyone in that situation to buck up. Or at least make them carry the tarp and rope.

One thing...I am comfortable using the great outdoors as my outhouse, but I drink A LOT of water so I purchased a pStyle - funnel of sorts that allows me to pee standing up with just my pants unzipped. This saves me time, and I don't have to look so hard for a concealed location since I'm not baring all. Might this sort of device help her?

Otherwise, go lurk in Female Hiking forum. Or better yet, send her there.

mybackpackingblog
04-14-2011, 13:54
How long has she been backpacking with you vs car camping? Could be she just needs more experience to feel comfortable.

You are a better man than I. (Besides the fact I'm a woman). I think I would just tell anyone in that situation to buck up. Or at least make them carry the tarp and rope.

One thing...I am comfortable using the great outdoors as my outhouse, but I drink A LOT of water so I purchased a pStyle - funnel of sorts that allows me to pee standing up with just my pants unzipped. This saves me time, and I don't have to look so hard for a concealed location since I'm not baring all. Might this sort of device help her?

Otherwise, go lurk in Female Hiking forum. Or better yet, send her there.

Ha....that's funny...I did make her carry all of it...She has only been doing this for about a year...just started backpacking a couple months ago...shes looked at the "SheWee"....same thing your talking about...peeing while standing is awesome!!!! LOL

Many Walks
04-14-2011, 15:45
Hey, you gotta go with whatever works. If it makes backpacking better for her, who cares what anyone else thinks. In time she'll decide it just isn't worth it, but she'll appreciate the fact that you helped her through it without making it a big deal.

On the bright side, you can use the paracord as a clothesline and put gear under the extra tarp at night so it's never bad to have dual purpose gear.

Some people are just more comfortable in the woods than others. She may come around in time.