PDA

View Full Version : Current Trail Conditions in New England

A-Train
01-20-2005, 21:59
A friend and I are headed somewhere this weekend (Greens, Whites or Mahoosucs) and I was wondering if the snow is very deep on the trails and at higher elevations?
I known its january and all but it's hard to tell since Burlington hasn't got too much snow so far.

If so, I'm open to suggestions on routes, non-AT places/trails etc..

My buddy is trying to get me to do an overnight saturday, but I'm thinking its a little too cold for my 20 degree bag. Tonight is supposed to be -10 not counting windchill (in Burlington, not the mountains). Yikes.

java
01-20-2005, 22:05
All I can tell you is that in Portland (not exactly at elevation:)) there is so much snow they banned parking on the street tonight. Oh, and my dog was trying to walk on only two paws because the ground is so cold!

On tonight's news they said the windchill in western Maine (near the AT) was going to be around -30 to -40. brrrrrr.

You could stay at my apartment and look at the snow, I'd even let you sleep on my deck.:jump
I've been camping in -20 windchill and I wouldn't do it again, and I grew up in Minnesota!!!

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2005, 22:21
A-Train:

I think it's a good weekend to stay home.

If you wanna see something scary, go to www.intellicast.com and look up the forecast/present weather for Gorham, NH!

Be careful whatever you do....

rocket04
01-20-2005, 23:33
Whatever you do, don't come to Canada. It's bloody cold up here...

The Old Fhart
01-20-2005, 23:37
If you want to know the weather in the Whites at elevation, check the higher summits forecast from the Mount Washington Weather Observatory on the summit here. (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/mountains.html)The weather is posted about 5am every morning. Actually, today's (1-20) weather is rather mild for the summits:

WEATHER: Summits obscured in clouds with scattered snow showers this morning. Then summits in and out of the clouds this afternoon.
HIGHS: Falling to -10 to -20 °F
WINDS: Northwest 40 to 60 mph

TJ aka Teej
01-21-2005, 09:51
A friend and I are headed somewhere this weekend (Greens, Whites or Mahoosucs) and I was wondering if the snow is very deep on the trails and at higher elevations?
As pointed out, we're in a wicked cold snap. And you have the right gear, don'tcha?That being said, it's a good time to practice cold hiking and camping without adding the risk of steep climbs or extended hikes. Pick something nearby without much climbing, a campsite not too far from your vehicle, maybe on a x-country ski or snowshoe trail. Maybe Abbey Pond or Snake Mountain? I'm certain Deb W would have some good input, A-Train.

poison_ivy
01-21-2005, 10:15
A-Train, if you're looking for info on specific trails, definitely check out the trail conditions reports on www.viewsfromthetop.com -- I've always found them to be extremely helpful.

- Ivy

DebW
01-21-2005, 11:45
It's been a fairly low snow year so far in the Whites. Trails have been hard packed snow and ice mostly. There may be isolated spots at high altitudes where snowshoes are useful, but crampons are a necessity. I'd definitely bring both, but plan on the snowshoes staying on the pack and the crampons going on near the road.

Mr. Clean
01-21-2005, 13:18
It was -33 in Berlin just West of the Mahoosucs this morning, and is supposed to be colder this weekend. Yikes, I don't even want to dayhike in these temps.

MoBeach42
01-21-2005, 13:51
It's been a fairly low snow year so far in the Whites. Trails have been hard packed snow and ice mostly. There may be isolated spots at high altitudes where snowshoes are useful, but crampons are a necessity. I'd definitely bring both, but plan on the snowshoes staying on the pack and the crampons going on near the road.

Agreed! I did a couple day hikes last weekend: one up Cannon Mtn (west side of Franconia Notch) and one most of the way up Moosilake. There isn't a lot of snow, but crampons will probably be necessary. Most of the trails are well broken, so snowshoes weren't necessary, though I used them for some sections going up Cannon where I was breaking trail.

Good luck with those balmy temps.

Youngblood
01-21-2005, 19:29
I just got back from trying to hike the highest peak in Georgia (they had the last 1/2 mile closed because they are repairing the buildings)... you folks in the NE don't want to know what the weather was like.

Youngblood

TJ aka Teej
01-21-2005, 19:33
I just watched the weather forecast on WMUR (a New Hampshire TV station).
STAY HOME A-TRAIN!!!

WalkinHome
01-21-2005, 19:49
Hi A-Train,

Did Carlo Col trail last weekend and the first third of the trail (.8 - 1mile) we did without snowshoes. As we reached the shelter the snow was getting 12-18 inches with great variations throughout but we were on snowshoes by then. Got on the AT southbound to tag the state line and have lunch and the snow was closer to 18 inches, possibly more. As other posters mentioned, there has been much rain and melting so there is a fair amount of ice out there, some of it quite challenging (read crampons). I am snowshoeing my section in Monson tomorrow and checking for blowdowns (new axe and haven;t seen my section in winter). Day hike only with Potatoman. Stay out of the hot sun!!LOL