PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have problems with North Face boots?

88BlueGT
04-14-2011, 13:27
Ok well about 2yrs ago I purchased a pair of North Face hiking boots (don't know specific name off the top of my head). After 20-30 miles half of the 'prongs' (little grips that come off bottom, about 15 per boot) came off. That was just the beginning. After 100 miles, 90% of the 'prongs' were gone (just broke off) and certain parts of the boot showed extreme wear. Now, after approx. 250 miles, they are DONE. Last hike I did, a short 5-6 mile hike, half the bottom of the boot literally ripped off and the soles are falling right off the bottom of the boot, along with the front peeling forward. I went super glue crazy once on them for a temp repair but now they're done. I WISH I could return these but I realize that its been too long, still no reason for boots to be completely shot after 250 miles, thats just crazy. Just wondering if anyone else had experience like this with North Face boots? Its really unacceptable for a pair of $140 boots to be shot with under 250 miles on them. Is it just my luck??? :(

Sickmont
04-14-2011, 15:37
Jeez, dude i get WAY more mileage out of my offshore made copycat jungle boots
(the ones for $20). That definitely doesnt seem right IMHO for a pair that cost $140.

Reid
04-14-2011, 16:07
Yea I've had a pair of NF cross trainer type shoes that fell apart in similar fashion.

88BlueGT
04-14-2011, 17:53
Yea I know its not right at all. Plus they have never seen anything but the trail, not like I'm out bushwhacking in them or something. It's just ashame that I bought then so long ago or I would be giving northface a huge piece of my mind.... Or I still may, itll probably make me feel better atleast even if nothing comes out of it. Just sucks... Back to the gear store..... AGAIN.

Trailbender
04-14-2011, 18:11
North Face gear is mainly made for people that want to look like hikers, not actually hike.

Amanita
04-14-2011, 22:10
North Face gear is mainly made for people that want to look like hikers, not actually hike.

North Face has definitely become more of a "style statement." Reminds me of how Abercrombie & Fitch used to sell sporting goods until it got sucked into caring more about "style" than function.

Gone are they days when you could walk into an Abercrombie for some elephant shot and a pith helmet. Such a shame, so difficult to find a good pith helmet these days.

Sickmont
04-15-2011, 07:44
Such a shame, so difficult to find a good pith helmet these days.

What about Banana Republic? :D

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 10:57
Yea I have always knows that about northface (thats the reason why I don't buy ANY of their other stuff, especially their clothing). For some reason, I thought these boots were an exception, I mean, they did LOOK like nice boots or I wouldn't of spent the money I did. Damn NorthFace!

John B
04-15-2011, 12:15
I don't know why I feel compeled to defend NorthFace, but on the company's behalf and to their credit, and based on the two pairs of NF boots that I've had, I haven't had a single problem with them.

On Monday, I'll post a pic of my current pair and I look forward to someone explaining to me why I picked them for reasons of "style" and "wanting to look like a hiker." They're just plain tan colored, there is no visible logo. They're not excessively heavy, either.

My current pair has about 400 miles on them. I got rid of my first pair because my dog chewed them up.

In point of fact, I picked them because NF and La Sportiva are the only two brands locally available that consistently offer hiking boots for narrow, low-volume feet, and I picked NF because they were only about $100, which was $40 less than LS. I wear a 12.5 B, low volume. I've used Vasque and some others before, but they're too wide. After a thorough search and from reading scores of reviews, NF indeed does offer B-width boots that are cut narrow. My boots fit me perfectly, which of course the entire point. Personally I don't give a s--- what the brand is, what color, etc., only that they fit well and are reasonably priced.

I don't use NF for trail or road running. I use Brooks Adrenaline for that and for the same reasons -- B-width, low volume.

Come back Monday for a pic of my "stylish" boots.

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 12:33
I forgot that I took a picture of the boots when the bottom starting to just fall off the boot. Heres a quick pic I snapped. I'm scared to use them again, probably just going to get alot worse, fast.

Sorry its not letting me post a picture for some reason, heres the link to the pic.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/88bluegt22/?action=view&current=NFboot.jpg

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/88bluegt22/NFboot.jpg

general
04-15-2011, 13:26
new north face gear sucks, not just the shoes and boots. they are a royal pain to deal with too. havn't traded with them for over 10 years.

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 13:38
new north face gear sucks, not just the shoes and boots. they are a royal pain to deal with too. havn't traded with them for over 10 years.

So I guess they're not worth taking my problems too.... :rolleyes:

general
04-15-2011, 14:30
So I guess they're not worth taking my problems too.... :rolleyes:

who knows. they may know that they have a problem with de-laminating soles with some models, so they may be well versed in the situation. in that case they may just roll over and make it right if enough people have had the same problem. i had no luck dealing with them about a tent that had an obvious problem with the fly. they made me maaaaaddddd.

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 16:55
Well, maybe I will call them this weekend. It certainly cannot hurt.

protargol
04-16-2011, 22:57
I forgot that I took a picture of the boots when the bottom starting to just fall off the boot. Heres a quick pic I snapped. I'm scared to use them again, probably just going to get alot worse, fast.

Sorry its not letting me post a picture for some reason, heres the link to the pic.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/88bluegt22/?action=view&current=NFboot.jpg

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/88bluegt22/NFboot.jpg

So I just noticed you had Vibram soles and was wondering if this problem is more broadly attributed to that? I'm in the market for shoes so I'm really curious if it's more of a problem with the "Vibram" brand than NF.

88BlueGT
04-17-2011, 19:42
Possibly, never considered that. Overall, its still a quality issue.

4Bears
04-17-2011, 20:14
Sounds like I'm glad I can't get my toes into a pair of them.

Trailbender
04-18-2011, 13:23
So I just noticed you had Vibram soles and was wondering if this problem is more broadly attributed to that? I'm in the market for shoes so I'm really curious if it's more of a problem with the "Vibram" brand than NF.

I have Vibram soles on my merrells, and they have 1600 miles on them and are still in great shape. The front of shoes tears open though, so you gotta reattach the upper to the sole with paracord.

SassyWindsor
04-18-2011, 19:40
You can still get quality leather goods made in Italy and Marmot seems to still have quite a good line of goods also. The NF stuff I own was purchased years ago, but it's of a high quality and I hate hearing their decline, if in fact it's so. I do know the footwear made in China for former reputable company's, have resulted in disappointment for those who have bought the stuff. I was told the USA workers unions have caused company's moving offshore or south of the border. Maybe, this is not so and the company's are just getting greedy. I'm not sure.

88BlueGT
04-22-2011, 08:45
You can still get quality leather goods made in Italy and Marmot seems to still have quite a good line of goods also. The NF stuff I own was purchased years ago, but it's of a high quality and I hate hearing their decline, if in fact it's so. I do know the footwear made in China for former reputable company's, have resulted in disappointment for those who have bought the stuff. I was told the USA workers unions have caused company's moving offshore or south of the border. Maybe, this is not so and the company's are just getting greedy. I'm not sure.
^^ TRUTH

Yea, its always ashame to see a good company go downhill. I'm not here saying that NF boots are the worst boots ever made (even though MINE were the worst I've ever owned) but they're obviously having (or were having) quality issues. One thing I will admit, they are very comfortable boots. I love the way they feel, just sucks theres no sole left on them to hike! :rolleyes:

Any opinions on Merrell Moab GTX XCR's (low cut)? I'm just worried about my feet getting really hot in them during the summer months...

general
04-22-2011, 08:48
i really like the moab, both the gore tex and the vented ones. i get plenty of miles out of either. super comfortable too.

88BlueGT
04-22-2011, 08:55
i really like the moab, both the gore tex and the vented ones. i get plenty of miles out of either. super comfortable too.

I did not realize there were 2 different versions. Do you know the models of both?

general
04-22-2011, 09:05
moab gore tex xcr and moab ventilator

general
04-22-2011, 09:08
the moab ventilators don't last quite as long. they loose support in the sides for some reason, but still get plenty of miles out of them.

Bearpaw
04-22-2011, 11:16

Not likely. Vibram is a rubber company that makes soles to order from many companies, then ships the soles to the individual shoe-makers factories. Delamination is a problem from the bonding process at the factory, usually improper or uneven heating of the adhesive. The problem would be the worker on the line.

If this is a standard problem for most of that make of shoe, it is probably a design/process flaw in which the shape of the shoe, type of adhesive used, etc could be a problem. Then it would be an issue with the process engineers.

But Vibram is too reliable on too many other brands and makes for me to believe they are the problem.

Bearpaw
04-22-2011, 11:20
In point of fact, I picked them because NF and La Sportiva are the only two brands locally available that consistently offer hiking boots for narrow, low-volume feet, ...

Look into Oboz (http://www.rei.com/search?query=oboz&button.x=24&button.y=26). They are designed by the folks who created Montrails before Columbia bought them out. Their specialty is footwear built on a narrow last.

Marta
04-22-2011, 18:01
I bought a pair of NF light hikers in 2008. 14 days of hiking later, the cloth inside both heels had worn through, exposing the foam underneath. Fortunately I had bought the shoes at REI so I took them back. Yeah, I agree that $10/day is too much to pay for hiking boots or shoes.