PDA

View Full Version : Anyone regret thru-hiking?

88BlueGT
04-14-2011, 13:32
I would LOVE to thru-hike and I'm HOPEFULLY shooting for next year if circumstances are right. One thing that I think about though is if I am going to regret hiking the entire trail when I have only seen about 10% prior to taking the plunge.

Does anyone feel that after they thru-hiked the trail they don't have as much of a desire to hike the AT because it turns into one of them, 'been there, done that' deals? Just looking for others perspectives ...

tat44too
04-14-2011, 13:38
No, Sir, I do not believe I will feel that way. I think I could thru hike it many times and get many different experiences. Nothing will ever go the same way twice. Plus, I'd get better (hopefully) at figuring out what I needed, where to stop and not stop, and so on. And, there are other trails to tackle, as well. I want to hike the "Big Three". Will I make it? I don't know, but I'm damn sure gonna find out. Have a great hike.

88BlueGT
04-14-2011, 13:40
That is very true, valid point!

BTW, I really shouldn't of used the word 'regret', not really what I meant. Just meant to ask if you see the trail in a different light now, less desire, etc.

Montana Mac
04-14-2011, 13:41
I grew up near the AT and as a "kid" we did a lot of day hikes. As an adult my brother and I have done a lot of sections hikes. I figure I hiked over 1100 miles in section hikes.

In 07 my brother did a thru - in 09 I attempted a thru and had to get of in NH due to an injury.

We are planing another section hike in June and I have been starting to look into doing a thru in 2012.

We both wish we had more time to be on the trail so for us the answer would be no.

tat44too
04-14-2011, 13:56
I know what you mean (88BlueGT) and I hope you "get-r-done". I'm sure that some feel that way (been there, done that) but I imagine that I will fall in love with the A.T. and want to try it NOBO and SOBO. Who knows? I'll prolly see you out there, next year, much luck to ya.

kayak karl
04-14-2011, 14:05
i know people that regret it, couldn't get work when they got back. lost good jobs too!

4shot
04-14-2011, 14:22
No regrets (actually grateful that I was able to try one) but no desire to do another long hike. I would take the time and money required to do a thru and travel to places I haven't been to yet. A thru hike was like an itch...I've scratched it and the itch is gone.

max patch
04-14-2011, 14:28
Married guys who pretended they were single on the hike and got laid regretted it when hiker babe called mama back home.

emerald
04-14-2011, 14:39
One thing that I think about though is if I am going to regret hiking the entire trail...

I suggest lifelong sectioning and never finishing the section N of Thoreau Spring or any other that has personal significance as a remedy.

88BlueGT
tat44too, that would be awesome! Good luck out there and like you said, hopefully we'll run into eachother one day!

Kayak Karl, I could imagine the complications that people have had with trying to get work once returned. That's something that I have been thinking about alot lately as well, wondering what people do to make this transition less difficult. Was thinking about possibly going on interviews looking for jobs for when I return. Not sure how many employers will be willing to offer someone employment 6 months in advance.

Lucky for me, my father has owned a construction co for the last 25yrs so I can possibly have that to come back to. BUUUUUT thats ONLY if he has work, with the way things have been the last 2 years its not very promising. Plus, its really not my cup of tea, the work is not the problem, but me and my father do not work all that well together. It is a last resort option though...

tat44too
(lmao @ max patch)

88BlueGT
04-14-2011, 14:41
Married guys who pretended they were single on the hike and got laid regretted it when hiker babe called mama back home.

OUCHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sucks for that guy, well after a thru-hike, atleast hes used to be being my himself :D

Montana Mac
04-14-2011, 14:48
OUCHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sucks for that guy, well after a thru-hike, atleast hes used to be being my himself :D
And after his divorce all of his belongings left will probably fit into his pack:D

88BlueGT
04-14-2011, 14:57
one could only be so fortunate :rolleyes:

kayak karl
04-14-2011, 15:15
all true and very sad.

Sickmont
04-14-2011, 15:33
One of my mottos is : Only regret the things you haven't done, not what you have done(unless, of course, you're a mass murderer. THEN definitely regret what ya have done.)

TheYoungOne
04-14-2011, 16:20
i know people that regret it, couldn't get work when they got back. lost good jobs too!

I can see that, and while Max Patch's story is very interesting, I can see situations where a spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend might decide not to wait around for you.

Also if you have kids you would miss benchmarks. A Thru hiker my miss their kids first steps, first baseball game, or even with older kids, you miss an engagement or something like that.

I'm married with kids so I'm not going to attemp a thru hike until the kids are out of the house, and even that I would still be nervous things happening to my wife and kids while I'm gone.

max patch
04-14-2011, 17:13
Also if you have kids you would miss benchmarks. A Thru hiker my miss their kids first steps, first baseball game, or even with older kids, you miss an engagement or something like that.

I'm in minority here whenever the subject comes up, but ones responsibilities as a parent trumps the fun of a 6 month hiking vacation. When the baby is born forget about a thru hike for the next 18 years or so.

Lilred
04-14-2011, 17:33
I've got the opposite problem. I've grown weary of section hiking. I've hiked around the first 1000 miles since 2003 and now I feel like I'd rather wait and save the rest until I can do a thru. It just got too disappointing to have to leave the trail every year just as I was starting to get into shape.

Trailbender
04-14-2011, 18:06
I can see that, and while Max Patch's story is very interesting, I can see situations where a spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend might decide not to wait around for you.

Yeah, I had a guy I was in basic training with had his girlfriend mail him a pic of her with another guy sexually. Kind of a crappy way to break up.

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 11:40
Yeah, I had a guy I was in basic training with had his girlfriend mail him a pic of her with another guy sexually. Kind of a crappy way to break up.

I would kill her, and him.

Joking? Not at all.

WingedMonkey
04-15-2011, 11:51
I notice no one that has actually thru hiked has said they regret it.

:p

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 12:39
^^ That is true.......... SO FAR! :D

Still looking for people to chime in on this

Datto
04-15-2011, 13:23
I don't know of a single person who's thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail that would have ever given up the time to have gone and done something else.

Possibly it's due to the enjoyment of the lifestyle of a thru-hiker revolving around peace, satisfaction, freedom, challenge, firsthand experiencing of nature and meeting some of the best people you'll ever meet in your life.

I can tell you from first hand experience there hasn't been a day in the last ten years where I haven't thought of the AT is some form or another.

Datto

sbhikes
04-15-2011, 14:45
Today I feel like I regret it. I got to experience happiness. Now I am back in the "real" world where there is almost no happiness 99% of the time. Maybe if I had never known happiness I won't feel so upset with its loss.

maybe clem
04-15-2011, 20:04
ones responsibilities as a parent trumps the fun of a 6 month hiking vacation. When the baby is born forget about a thru hike for the next 18 years or so.

QFT.

Having said that, I would guess far, far more people regret never attempting a thruhike than thruhiking. I have no regrets. I've gone back and hiked sections of the A.T. again and again and I've hiked other trails since, as well.

ScottP
04-19-2011, 12:20
no

(message needs to be 10 characters)

Montana Mac
04-19-2011, 12:27
I'm in minority here whenever the subject comes up, but ones responsibilities as a parent trumps the fun of a 6 month hiking vacation. When the baby is born forget about a thru hike for the next 18 years or so.

Why??

When I was a kid I grew up near the AT and have some great memories of hiking the trail on day hikes with the family or going off after school on Friday to spend a night on the trail.

Look at it as an opportunity to do a family outing. Instead of a backpack with a weeks worth of gear and food get a baby carrier and introduce the baby to the AT.

Montana Mac
04-19-2011, 12:28
addition to above--------------

There are families that have thru hiked together - it can be done

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 15:21
Today I feel like I regret it. I got to experience happiness. Now I am back in the "real" world where there is almost no happiness 99% of the time. Maybe if I had never known happiness I won't feel so upset with its loss.

Do what it takes to be happy. That matters more to me than anything else in this world. My friends think I am crazy for selling or giving away all my stuff, leaving college, and just getting on the AT. I can't explain to them, they would not understand. But you do. If you know what truly makes you happy, do what it takes to get there.

My friend told me to "grow up" and get a job. But I already am. It takes much more maturity to truly follow your dreams than to simply do what is "expected" and "normal".

Jeff
04-19-2011, 15:29
I can tell you from first hand experience there hasn't been a day in the last ten years where I haven't thought of the AT is some form or another.

So true....I'll bet alot of hikers feel this way !!

88BlueGT
04-19-2011, 15:31
Do what it takes to be happy. That matters more to me than anything else in this world. My friends think I am crazy for selling or giving away all my stuff, leaving college, and just getting on the AT. I can't explain to them, they would not understand. But you do. If you know what truly makes you happy, do what it takes to get there.

My friend told me to "grow up" and get a job. But I already am. It takes much more maturity to truly follow your dreams than to simply do what is "expected" and "normal".

I don't know if maturity is the proper word but I get what your trying to say. It takes alot more STRENGTH to go against the grain.

sbhikes
04-19-2011, 18:17

I'm 46. I'm near the end of my working life. If I walk away now, there's no going back. Nobody wants someone my age or older as it is, add a period of unemployment on top of it and it would be hopeless for me. I am reading a blog by a guy named Mark Boyle, though, and it is giving me ideas. I'm not ready to shut the door on whatever hopeless possibility of a secure future I might eek out in my remaining work years, though. I'd like to thru-hike forever, but if I'm honest with myself, those restaurant meals and hot showers were often the difference between continuing and failing.

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 18:25
I'm 46. I'm near the end of my working life. If I walk away now, there's no going back. Nobody wants someone my age or older as it is, add a period of unemployment on top of it and it would be hopeless for me. I am reading a blog by a guy named Mark Boyle, though, and it is giving me ideas. I'm not ready to shut the door on whatever hopeless possibility of a secure future I might eek out in my remaining work years, though. I'd like to thru-hike forever, but if I'm honest with myself, those restaurant meals and hot showers were often the difference between continuing and failing.

I haven't had a job since 2007. I will have to explain why to any future employers. I honestly think if you told them the truth, that you decided to just hike for a couple of years, they would be understanding or at least neutral. I wonder why, in our modern society, I would have to justify hiking for a long period, but not being a wage slave in some crappy factory somewhere? I am going to put my student loans on economic hardship forbearance until I can find a good job and make some plans.

I still plan on restaurant meals and a hot shower, but I'll trade a couple hours of washing dishes for that meal. I can do any crappy job for a short period of time, but it is not something I would want to do for years.

DapperD
04-19-2011, 19:46
I haven't had a job since 2007. I will have to explain why to any future employers. I honestly think if you told them the truth, that you decided to just hike for a couple of years, they would be understanding or at least neutral. This in my opinion depends on different factors, like one being if they would even believe that. They may feel you are lying and were really homeless and destitute for that period of unemployment and/or simply did not want to be responsible. If you were combing the classifieds for blue-collar labor type jobs, then probably this "hiking explanation" would be accepted. However, if you were applying to a large prestigious company, depending on what type or field of employment you are seeking, then maybe not. You are still young and that is a plus. They say once you hit 50 and have been long term unemployed, then it becomes harder and harder to explain away long term breaks in your employment history, and thus to find employment. With the economy sputtering and possibly becoming even worse, these companies have many applicants to choose from. Bringing some type of extra special skills that the company can use to the table will definately help, but otherwise you are just another long term unemployed "fish in the big sea", making finding quality employment harder and harder:-?.

Marta
04-19-2011, 19:50
No regrets here.

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 20:25
This in my opinion depends on different factors, like one being if they would even believe that. They may feel you are lying and were really homeless and destitute for that period of unemployment and/or simply did not want to be responsible. If you were combing the classifieds for blue-collar labor type jobs, then probably this "hiking explanation" would be accepted. However, if you were applying to a large prestigious company, depending on what type or field of employment you are seeking, then maybe not. You are still young and that is a plus. They say once you hit 50 and have been long term unemployed, then it becomes harder and harder to explain away long term breaks in your employment history, and thus to find employment. With the economy sputtering and possibly becoming even worse, these companies have many applicants to choose from. Bringing some type of extra special skills that the company can use to the table will definately help, but otherwise you are just another long term unemployed "fish in the big sea", making finding quality employment harder and harder:-?.

That makes sense, but I never want to be 50 and wish I had did this. I haven't had many jobs I enjoyed, and I don't want to do something I hate for 20 years just to make money. I'll probably never be rich, or even middle class, with how much money I make, but I want to enjoy my life. I will have to look into jobs I am interested in, like a ranger or ridgerunner, stuff like that.

So if you are over 50, and have long breaks in employment, what do you do? Menial labor, food stamps?

DapperD
04-19-2011, 20:35
That makes sense, but I never want to be 50 and wish I had did this. I haven't had many jobs I enjoyed, and I don't want to do something I hate for 20 years just to make money. I'll probably never be rich, or even middle class, with how much money I make, but I want to enjoy my life. I will have to look into jobs I am interested in, like a ranger or ridgerunner, stuff like that.

So if you are over 50, and have long breaks in employment, what do you do? Menial labor, food stamps?Well if you need to support yourself and/or your family you continue to attempt to find suitable employment. Unfortunately, in this economy many have had to accept less than satisfying employment coupled with less pay just in order to survive. And many also still have not found suitable work. And these are not just people over 50 but people of all ages and all walks of life.

Blue Jay
04-19-2011, 21:26
If I walk away now, there's no going back. Nobody wants someone my age or older as it is, add a period of unemployment on top of it and it would be hopeless for me.

You have no way of knowing if this is true or not. Things have changed in the job market, older employees actually show up and work. More and more employers are starting to realize this. Do not let fear keep you from living.

Bearpaw
04-19-2011, 21:33
I don't regret my thru-hike one bit. Best gift to myself of my life so far. Helped heal my head and my soul a bit after I got out of the Marine Corps.

I would regret it now if I had not done it.

I have a baby on the way now. With some luck, maybe the little one will enjoy some long section hikes with me in the future. But I'm glad I thru-hiked when I was young, single, debt-free, and the stars were aligned right.

sbhikes
04-19-2011, 22:14
So if you are over 50, and have long breaks in employment, what do you do? Menial labor, food stamps?

I think a lot of people end up in minimum wage jobs. Some end up homeless. I would probably end up living with my parents again unless my partner could put up with me not having a job. It would be stressful, though. He's already mad at me for throwing it all away to hike.

I make less than half what I did before my hike. Furthermore, I've fallen behind in the skills needed for my field. Partly that's because the job I had before my hike left me behind and partly because the two years I spent hiking put me behind and the two years since I haven't really been all that productive. I'm a has-been.

I'm still smart and reliable and able to learn, but I don't have the same willingness to give my all to some company as a 26-year-old. After hiking the trail, I really can't even pretend to care, you know? Long hours, trying to prove myself? Careerism is for you young folks. You'll understand when you are my age.

mirabela
04-19-2011, 22:24
I think you are wise to be asking this.

Personally, I've been completely glad I thru-hiked. Having said that, I think it's very prudent to consider what you might be missing by going. I was nineteen with no commitments, all family members in good health, college happy to hold a place for me until the next year, etc. My circumstances are different now, and I wouldn't go on any long trip my kids can't join me for.

I do sometimes think maybe I should have gone for something a little more exotic (to me) like maybe a PCT or PNT hike instead. I grew up here in northern New England right on the LT and two hours from the Whites, so it was pretty much a known quantity for me. The mid-Atlantic part, while I enjoyed it once, includes a great deal of fairly forgettable walking that I've never felt any urge to repeat. If I had it to do over, I might go somewhere else but I'd still spend half a year hiking. And don't get me wrong, either, I liked the AT very much. I just sometimes feel like I should have seen more of the West when I had the chance.

DapperD
04-19-2011, 22:32
I'm still smart and reliable and able to learn, but I don't have the same willingness to give my all to some company as a 26-year-old. After hiking the trail, I really can't even pretend to care, you know? Long hours, trying to prove myself? Careerism is for you young folks. You'll understand when you are my age.Well I am your age and I do understand. I have been working for over 30 years doing many different jobs, including learning 2 careers well and I am also at the point to be ready to enjoy my life more and work a whole lot less. The problem with this is, as it is for most, still being able to earn enough money in order to survive. Otherwise I could easily see myself having fun hiking and camping all day long and doing all the things that I most enjoy and never having to work another day again unless I wanted to:D.

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 22:33
Well if you need to support yourself and/or your family you continue to attempt to find suitable employment. Unfortunately, in this economy many have had to accept less than satisfying employment coupled with less pay just in order to survive. And many also still have not found suitable work. And these are not just people over 50 but people of all ages and all walks of life.

That's understandable. I am single without kids still mostly by intention. I can live in some pretty crappy conditions, if I have to, but not if I had kids. I am fairly attractive, and had plenty of offers in college, but turned them all down because I wanted the freedom of being single. I am not against marriage or a family, but it is not for me.

I think a lot of people end up in minimum wage jobs. Some end up homeless. I would probably end up living with my parents again unless my partner could put up with me not having a job. It would be stressful, though. He's already mad at me for throwing it all away to hike.

I make less than half what I did before my hike. Furthermore, I've fallen behind in the skills needed for my field. Partly that's because the job I had before my hike left me behind and partly because the two years I spent hiking put me behind and the two years since I haven't really been all that productive. I'm a has-been.

I'm still smart and reliable and able to learn, but I don't have the same willingness to give my all to some company as a 26-year-old. After hiking the trail, I really can't even pretend to care, you know? Long hours, trying to prove myself? Careerism is for you young folks. You'll understand when you are my age.

If he is mad at you for "throwing it away to hike", that is pretty sad. I'd never put money above happiness, and I am glad that you understand that. For me, it is partly from realizing how little money I really need. I don't want to "prove" anything to a company, they use up employees and throw them away for the most part. I'll never define myself by what job I have, and when I get a job, I want it to be something I enjoy.

Turtle-on
04-20-2011, 06:17
Lots of people regret attempting a thru-hike, I imagine. Those are the ones who quit. I think the ones who finish are pretty certain they want to finish regardless of the cost.

Marta
04-20-2011, 07:12
I have yet to meet anyone who really regrets a thru-hike. I've met a number of people who regret not having finished a hike, and more people than I can count have expressed regret that they never even tried.

For a lot of thru-hikers, the hike is only one thing in a long list of interesting things they have done over the years--travel, long bike rides, start businesses, etc. That spark that gets you up out of your chair, working through all the obstacles, and doing it carries over into lots of other phases of life. Idea--logistics--execution. If you can do it for a hike, you can do it for many of your other dreams. If you can't do it for a hike...

4shot
04-20-2011, 09:21
I have yet to meet anyone who really regrets a thru-hike. I've met a number of people who regret not having finished a hike, and more people than I can count have expressed regret that they never even tried.

You hit the nail on the head. If I would have had to get off for some reason beyond my control, as happens to some, I would have been disappointed but not regretful. As you say, the only regret I would have is not even attempting one because I had thought about it for a long, long time before heading to Springer.

Many Walks
04-20-2011, 10:31
I would LOVE to thru-hike and I'm HOPEFULLY shooting for next year if circumstances are right. One thing that I think about though is if I am going to regret hiking the entire trail when I have only seen about 10% prior to taking the plunge.

Does anyone feel that after they thru-hiked the trail they don't have as much of a desire to hike the AT because it turns into one of them, 'been there, done that' deals? Just looking for others perspectives ...
If you have any sense of curiosity at all you always want to see what is around the next turn or over the next hill. You want to see that great view at the next summit with the wind in your face or experience the power of a waterfall in a misty valley. You'll be curious who is hiking ahead or behind you, being glad to see friends and making new ones. A thru hike is really just a snapshot of the trail and it's a mistake to assume it will be a “been there, done that” experience. Every trail changes with the seasons, weather, direction taken, people and critters you'll meet along the way. If anything a thru just increases the appetite for more hiking, IMO. We're presently exploring so many trails and lands in the West, but will definitely hike more of the AT with no regrets.

Regarding a thru in general, I'd much rather take a huge risk than opt for safety and never pursue a dream.

Hope you decide to hike!

Datto
04-20-2011, 12:06
I've observed in those who've had a glint of interest about long-distance hiking that the progression usually goes from, "Why?" to "How can you afford...?" to "Bears" to "I could never do that because __________". And that's the end of it beyond momentary envy before returning thoughts back to the daily grind.

That instantaneous glint happens for only a brief moment and then is returned back into the dark cabinet from which it came. If you let the glint out long enough it can become a thought and then a possible consideration, a dream followed by an obsession. A continuous unending circle of question-thought-question activity begins that many times doesn't have a definitive answer. It's fruitless and hopeless to let things go down that path when you can do nothing different and be safe and be what seems secure.

It's quite the challenge to explain the value of sustainable inner peace in the modern world. Or super-confidence in a world fraught with considerable uncertainty. Or consistent, daily beauty that is effortlessly appreciated. Or the value of figuring out what is truly important and what is simply fluff.

It's on to working like a dog and chasing coin because the rent is due and there's little money to pay it and that is what society says should be done. Society just doesn't appreciate you doing things differently, thinking differently than the masses. It's not in society's best interests for you to start thinking independently on what it is you want. Society will tell you what it is you want and you will take that as gospel. If you start thinking independently and God-forbid, moving on those thoughts, you will be unsafe. Bad things will start happening to you. Society will have no way to protect you. So don't do it!

Only when an event occurs requiring a re-think of circumstances does a person come back to considering options and direction. Most other days it's a matter of getting up out of bed and doing the same thing that was done yesterday and learning to like it and learning to live with it desperately.

Knowing what I know now, it's hard for me to imagine we as humans continuing to fritter away so much of our time on things that don't matter while not even knowing what it is that matters most.

Well, beyond what society tells us should matter most.

Datto

sbhikes
04-20-2011, 12:56
You are right, Datto. I'm in a place where I did what society doesn't want you to do and now I'm in a difficult place of feeling the disapproval of society, the loss of what used to give me security (I was once a minor superstar in my field), a draw toward something confusing and scary and in general I'm at a loss for what to actually do next. Because I do not like being in this place, it is easy to regret having taken the step that brought me here.

88BlueGT
04-20-2011, 12:59
So your situation is regretting it because now your back to 'reality' and it sucks lol Kind of like 'no I won't drive your Ferrari for 6 months because when I have to go back to my Accord, I'll be pissed' lol

sbhikes
04-20-2011, 13:40
More like driving your ferrari but when you are done you don't have an accord anymore, you have to take the bus and you can't afford the bus pass.

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 14:07
I have a baby on the way now. With some luck, maybe the little one will enjoy some long section hikes with me in the future. But I'm glad I thru-hiked when I was young, single, debt-free, and the stars were aligned right.

Congrats.

more characters

88BlueGT
04-20-2011, 14:24

That's where I'm at. I'm young, not single (but that doesn't matter), almost debt free (few k left), but I don't know about my stars. I think your stars are aligned if you SAY they are. If it feels right in your heart, go for it right?

The biggest thing w/ leaving for the trail is the fact that I have been waiting on this position for a long time, and I'm about to get it in a few months (hopefully sooner). It would be sooooo ashame to get the position I've been waiting for, and turn around and leave 6 months later. That and school. I'm in school, never full time, just doing what I can when I can do it... so taking off sucks but its believe me, it certainly will not be the first time I took a semester off.

Duff
04-20-2011, 15:03
I found it life-changing. After years in a structured office environment, I've found it difficult to see such as anything other than confining. Even "authority" that used to feed the ego's need for "power" no longer satisfies. The stereotypical vision of sucess, drive and ambition no longer works for me. It all fades next to the granduer of the woods, sunset from somewhere like McAfee's Knob or sunrise from Max Patch. The comeraderie of the trail is much more ""real" than office politics. I've tried some other long distance trails since my '09 thru and nothing comes close to the AT: it's where I feel I "belong".

4shot
04-20-2011, 16:30
You are right, Datto. I'm in a place where I did what society doesn't want you to do and now I'm in a difficult place of feeling the disapproval of society, the loss of what used to give me security (I was once a minor superstar in my field), a draw toward something confusing and scary and in general I'm at a loss for what to actually do next. Because I do not like being in this place, it is easy to regret having taken the step that brought me here.

do you consider the fact if you were still a "minor superstar" (?!) in your cubicle you would be regretting NOT trying your thruhike? Such is life...filled with difficult decisions because for most of us you can't have it all...you can have lightweight, comfortable or cheap but in most cases you don't get all three.

as far as society's disapproval, I get alot more positive vibes from people who want to discuss the trail (especially moreso from the non-hiking community) than I ever did as a corporate level executive. In my community I have discussed my hike and answered unsolicited questions with strangers or casual acquaintences many, many times. When I had a "big job" nobody outside of my wife ever asked about "what happened at work last quarter...did you meet your objectives"?.People have laughed and said i was crazy but I certainly haven't felt any signs of disapproval.It's been the exact opposite.

blackbird04217
04-20-2011, 17:14
I came wandering into the thread in the off chance someone actually regretted their thru-hike... I wasn't surprised when I did not find it. I'm back in the daily grind, and I will unfortunately remain here, at least until I am out of debt. Once I reach that point (I guess optimistically 5-6 years, realistically; 10-12), my life _will change_. I am not sure how my life will change, but I know it will. I will either start my own business and work for myself, as I won't have any major debts at that point. Or I will take to the trails and explore our beautiful world. The next 5-10 years will push me one way or another, I'm just going to go back and grind these loans away...

Trailbender
04-20-2011, 19:32
I came wandering into the thread in the off chance someone actually regretted their thru-hike... I wasn't surprised when I did not find it. I'm back in the daily grind, and I will unfortunately remain here, at least until I am out of debt. Once I reach that point (I guess optimistically 5-6 years, realistically; 10-12), my life _will change_. I am not sure how my life will change, but I know it will. I will either start my own business and work for myself, as I won't have any major debts at that point. Or I will take to the trails and explore our beautiful world. The next 5-10 years will push me one way or another, I'm just going to go back and grind these loans away...

I have student loans, but I am gonna put them on hardship forbearance until I find a good job. I can live with debt. If I get really sick or something, I am gonna have a ton in hospital bills as well. I decided a long time ago to not let debt rule my life, and that comes not from not having debt, but in not worrying about it.

I believe healthcare and college should be covered in this country, anyways. There is no reason for anyone to stay sick when they can be treated just because they don't have any money. College loans are a huge scam, most universities are there to just make money and could care less how well you do or what degree you get.

I would rather get a job I love and barely make it than make a ton of money and hate it. I have tried factory work, the pay is great, but it is mind numbingly repetitive and incredibly boring.

4shot
04-20-2011, 19:37
I have student loans, but I am gonna put them on hardship forbearance until I find a good job. I can live with debt. If I get really sick or something, I am gonna have a ton in hospital bills as well. I decided a long time ago to not let debt rule my life, and that comes not from not having debt, but in not worrying about it.

I believe healthcare and college should be covered in this country, anyways. There is no reason for anyone to stay sick when they can be treated just because they don't have any money. College loans are a huge scam, most universities are there to just make money and could care less how well you do or what degree you get.

Pay what you owe to others. Healthcare and education are not a birthright..prior to the last two generations, people only got the healthcare and education that they could afford out of pocket.

Debt is the modern form of slavery...only difference is one is entered into voluntarily.

WingedMonkey
04-20-2011, 19:37

Sounds like liberal BS cooked up to scare people.

DavidNH
04-20-2011, 20:00
This is one of the more thought provoking and important questions I've seen on Whiteblaze.

I'll just answer from my own perspective and experience.

On the one hand, I am glad I thru hiked and succeeded in reaching Katahdin (took me six months and a week). It was an experience one doesn't forget. So much beautiful scenery. I really got to experience the seasons. At the end of the day, memories are all on has anyway.

On the other hand, life might have been easier if I hadn't thru hiked. I would have not quit my job (that I hated anyway) for one, so I'd have more money now. More importantly, I feel that since I thru hiked folks don't understand me much any more. Everyone seems to be in the rat race. The race to make money to send the kids to college, pay off debts etc, gain status. Professional advancement is all many people relate to. Many just don't understand why one would take a year.. in my case a few years... out from life to try and figure out what I want and where I want to go. Many folks in my extended family (brothers cousins etc) barely even take vacations and when they do it's just to relax. There's no adventure.

Life is all materialism for most. It just has to be about more than that.

Many in my family recognize the feat of thru hiking for the physical challenge that it is. But they are clueless as to why I did it, what it meant, what I got out of it, why i didn't just throw myself back into "life" afterwards.

The one big disappointment of my thru hike: I expected to be mostly amongst a crowd of nature lovers and people who sought fellowship with the wilderness. What I often found was a moving frat party atmosphere, folks mostly there to drink and party. That aspect sucked. But I stuck it out, and the experience improved as I got more to the northern states.

DavidNH

Trailbender
04-20-2011, 20:34
Pay what you owe to others. Healthcare and education are not a birthright..prior to the last two generations, people only got the healthcare and education that they could afford out of pocket.

Debt is the modern form of slavery...only difference is one is entered into voluntarily.

What I meant with the healthcare thing was there is no reason to suffer when a trained doctor is nearby. If I have cancer or some other disease, and it can be treated, should I die just because I can't pay for it?

I agree debt is slavery, but with huge greedy corporations running everything, grinding people to dust, it is inevitable somewhat.

4shot
04-20-2011, 22:50
What I meant with the healthcare thing was there is no reason to suffer when a trained doctor is nearby. If I have cancer or some other disease, and it can be treated, should I die just because I can't pay for it?

I agree debt is slavery, but with huge greedy corporations running everything, grinding people to dust, it is inevitable somewhat.

why is anyone entitled to anything they can't pay for? this i believe is a fairly modern concept. I don't understand that nor do I buy into the notion that debt is inevitable. it is a choice. despite the greedy corporations. yes they try to sell you stuff you think you want or need but that doesn't mean you have to buy it.

DapperD
04-21-2011, 01:01
College loans are a huge scam, most universities are there to just make money and could care less how well you do or what degree you get.I believe there is truth in this. Colleges and Universities are big business. And not only that, there simply are not enough jobs to go around. Many previousely well paying and available jobs are now non-existent here.

Trailbender
04-21-2011, 01:10
why is anyone entitled to anything they can't pay for?

Even medical care that will save your life? Why are the rich entitled to better food, better housing, great medical care just because they have money? Are they better than us? If I had a kid, and he needed very expensive treatment, and there was no way I could afford it, do you think I would say to myself "Oh well, I haven't earned his treatment, I guess he can just die." I have watched a family member suffer because she could not afford expensive medications that she needed. Too many poor people have to choose between meds and food. This is a reality, and entitlements have nothing to do with it.

4shot
04-21-2011, 07:57
Why are the rich entitled to better food, better housing, great medical care just because they have money? Are they better than us? ... Too many poor people have to choose between meds and food. This is a reality, and entitlements have nothing to do with it.

The rich are not entitled to anymore than us, they can afford things that we can't...entitlement is where people want and feel like they are "owed" things that they didn't work for or can't afford.whether they got rich by honest hard work, crime or sheer dumb luck is beside the point. There will always be poor amongst us as was noted by Jesus a long time ago.The beautiful thing about our society is that one can be rich if they choose to be...one doesn't have to be born into as in other places/cultures. Don't want to get political but the "equal division of wealth" model has been tried and failed. In a utopia it would be great.I am sorry for your relative btw.

88BlueGT
04-21-2011, 09:52
It sounds really harsh to say it in the sense as, well its not my problem, but honestly..... its not my problem. You can't sit on your ass and than expect to have it all, or get top notch treatment when you get sick, you just don't have it like that and YOU choose to have it that way. If you wanted to go to college and get a degree and come out and make tons of money that's a chance that you could have taken, but you didn't, so now you suffer. But don't expect the guy who DOES make 150k, but who sat through 6yrs of school, 150k in student debt, etc. to kick out... no no no. Like 4shot said, the equal division of wealth model has been tried, and no, it does not work. If it keeps getting worse and people in the higher tax brackets keep getting hit having to dish out and dish out, whats the motive for these people to get into them tax brackets anymore? Why him and not me? not fair not fair not fair. bla bla bla.

Anyway, I'm hijacking my own thread, back to topic.

88BlueGT
04-21-2011, 09:55
Seriously though, this is not the place for this conversation (even though I would enjoy covering this for days). DON'T HIJACK MY DAMN THREAD! :D

Trailbender
04-21-2011, 10:46
Seriously though, this is not the place for this conversation (even though I would enjoy covering this for days). DON'T HIJACK MY DAMN THREAD! :D

I have VA healthcare, so it wasn't specifically for me. Don't expect the poor to continuously get screwed and just accept it though, while watching the rich take everything. The top 1% of wealthy people in this country own 85% of assets. I don't think anyone could say that is not screwed up, and inequalities like that are how revolutions get started. I don't really care if someone has a billion dollars or whatever, I don't own much or care for stuff.

Back to the topic though, with my experience on a thru, I don't think that you will find anyone that is going to say they regretted it. There will be people that always wonder if they should do it, and keep finding reasons not to.

Colter
04-21-2011, 13:32
Take a look at the completion rates. Most people make significant sacrifices to thru-hike the trail. Many find out that it's not the experience they hoped it would be.

For myself and many others an AT thru-hike was well worth the effort and sacrifices and was a priceless experience.

As in many pursuits, in thru-hiking there is a strong "survivorship bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias)."

If someone attempts a thru-hjke and enjoys themselves, chances are the sacrifice will be well worth it. If they don't complete the hike and didn't have fun, they will likely regret the sacrifices. Others might not complete the hike for some reason and find that the effort was well worth it. Realistically evaluating which group you are likely to be a part of is one of the first and most critical parts of planning a hike.

It seems to be an automatic response by many on these forums to respond to someone considering a hike to "go for it, you'll never regret it!" That advice may or may not be sound. A stranger on the internet is likely not in the best position to give advice on the appropriateness of a thru-hike for an individual.

4shot
04-21-2011, 15:06
Take a look at the completion rates. Most people make significant sacrifices to thru-hike the trail. Many find out that it's not the experience they hoped it would be.

For myself and many others an AT thru-hike was well worth the effort and sacrifices and was a priceless experience.

As in many pursuits, in thru-hiking there is a strong "survivorship bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias)."

It seems to be an automatic response by many on these forums to respond to someone considering a hike to "go for it, you'll never regret it!" That advice may or may not be sound. A stranger on the internet is likely not in the best position to give advice on the appropriateness of a thru-hike for an individual.

this post has over 2000 views and 69 replies...yet not one person has regretted their thru-hike. I found the same thing when reading here and other places when researching my thru...over 75% do not finish but you can not nor will not hear from the "silent majority" usually. it was perplexing to me as I wanted to hear a more balanced discussion and the post above explains that somewhat. meanwhile the thruhikers and AT enthusiasts will consistently tell all potential thru-hikers to "go for it" as suggested above. To the OP, do bear in mind Colter's advice and remember you asked to hear from former thru-hikers (with the survivor bias as mentioned). It is far less likely that the 75% are going to post about the negative aspects of a thruhike (not that they all would have negative thoughts towards their hikes in all cases)...as this title of this board suggests, it is a place for "enthusiasts" so all advice is going to be biased towards positive. That's OK but bear that in mind when looking to this site for advice. I don't like cats but wouldn't post that on a board designated for kitten enthusiasts. (Might look for a cat hater's message board though ;)).

sbhikes
04-21-2011, 16:32
Regret and completion rates are not the same thing. I think a person could have more regrets never attempting it than they would attempting and not finishing.

As for whether paying for heathcare or being entitled to it for whatever reason is concerned, it's a modern thing to look at it either way. It is human nature to help each other. We left human nature long ago when we created a system of debit/credit and money.

You, DavidNH, are experiencing exactly the kinds of things I have experienced. I really do think there is more to life than comfort, security and status. I am on a quest to find it. I've found some very interesting things along the way.

This is one of the more thought provoking and important questions I've seen on Whiteblaze.

I'll just answer from my own perspective and experience.

On the one hand, I am glad I thru hiked and succeeded in reaching Katahdin (took me six months and a week). It was an experience one doesn't forget. So much beautiful scenery. I really got to experience the seasons. At the end of the day, memories are all on has anyway.

On the other hand, life might have been easier if I hadn't thru hiked. I would have not quit my job (that I hated anyway) for one, so I'd have more money now. More importantly, I feel that since I thru hiked folks don't understand me much any more. Everyone seems to be in the rat race. The race to make money to send the kids to college, pay off debts etc, gain status. Professional advancement is all many people relate to. Many just don't understand why one would take a year.. in my case a few years... out from life to try and figure out what I want and where I want to go. Many folks in my extended family (brothers cousins etc) barely even take vacations and when they do it's just to relax. There's no adventure.

Life is all materialism for most. It just has to be about more than that.

Many in my family recognize the feat of thru hiking for the physical challenge that it is. But they are clueless as to why I did it, what it meant, what I got out of it, why i didn't just throw myself back into "life" afterwards.

The one big disappointment of my thru hike: I expected to be mostly amongst a crowd of nature lovers and people who sought fellowship with the wilderness. What I often found was a moving frat party atmosphere, folks mostly there to drink and party. That aspect sucked. But I stuck it out, and the experience improved as I got more to the northern states.

DavidNH

DapperD
04-21-2011, 18:53
If someone attempts a thru-hjke and enjoys themselves, chances are the sacrifice will be well worth it. If they don't complete the hike and didn't have fun, they will likely regret the sacrifices. Others might not complete the hike for some reason and find that the effort was well worth it. Realistically evaluating which group you are likely to be a part of is one of the first and most critical parts of planning a hike.

It seems to be an automatic response by many on these forums to respond to someone considering a hike to "go for it, you'll never regret it!" That advice may or may not be sound. A stranger on the internet is likely not in the best position to give advice on the appropriateness of a thru-hike for an individual.This is sound advice you offer. I have read many people here saying they were going to begin a thru-hike, and that they would be selling their vehicle and all possessions. They then were also leaving/selling their apartment or home. Then they would be basically homeless, with no tangible property. Well what happens if and when they throw their ankle or get sick or something else and they have to cut their hike short. I bet a whole host of regrets will appear then. To me this is not wise, and if followed by example, bad advice. There is no way to predict what will happen out there. It is a risk to do a long distance hike. There is no guarantee of success or completion. I don't think abandoning everything prior to thru-hiking is necessarily the best course of action, at least for the majority, in my opinion. And as you state, blindly following the advice of a stranger on the internet or wherever is for the most part inherently risky at best.

Bearpaw
04-22-2011, 10:31

this post has over 2000 views and 69 replies...yet not one person has regretted their thru-hike. I found the same thing when reading here and other places when researching my thru...over 75% do not finish but you can not nor will not hear from the "silent majority" usually. it was perplexing to me as I wanted to hear a more balanced discussion and the post above explains that somewhat. meanwhile the thruhikers and AT enthusiasts will consistently tell all potential thru-hikers to "go for it" as suggested above. To the OP, do bear in mind Colter's advice and remember you asked to hear from former thru-hikers (with the survivor bias as mentioned). It is far less likely that the 75% are going to post about the negative aspects of a thruhike (not that they all would have negative thoughts towards their hikes in all cases)...as this title of this board suggests, it is a place for "enthusiasts" so all advice is going to be biased towards positive. That's OK but bear that in mind when looking to this site for advice. I don't like cats but wouldn't post that on a board designated for kitten enthusiasts. (Might look for a cat hater's message board though ;)).

88BlueGT asked if people regretted their thru-hike. This implies the hiker has completed the trail. Or at the very least is still in the process of attempting it. The verbage tends to exclude those who attempted, but did not complete, a thru-hike.

If the above discussion were your interest, you might want to post a companion thread asking, "Anyone regret their thru-hike attempt?" I agree it would interesting to read the responses.

Blue Jay
04-22-2011, 11:22
Let me see, do I regret spending months in beautiful splendor surrounded by strong happy people doing EXACTLY what I wanted to do every single day, instead of running the rat race treadmill for almost worthless dollars surrounded by miserable fear filled slaves.

Ahhhhhhh, NO

By the way Trailbender (Hollywood) you rocked when I met you near the James River, and you still do.

4shot
04-22-2011, 11:48
If the above discussion were your interest, you might want to post a companion thread asking, "Anyone regret their thru-hike attempt?" I agree it would interesting to read the responses.

don't know if you are directing this to me or the OP. My days of researching a thru are over and I'm glad I went. as are 100% of the other thruhikers who responded to the question.

However I agree with you in that the data is skewed by the way the question is asked. To the OP - Bearpaw's suggested question may give you a different perspective assuming you can get honest feedback. (I'm doubtful that the ones who did not enjoy their hike are posting on WB).

Bearpaw
04-22-2011, 11:53
don't know if you are directing this to me or the OP. My days of researching a thru are over and I'm glad I went. as are 100% of the other thruhikers who responded to the question.

However I agree with you in that the data is skewed by the way the question is asked. To the OP - Bearpaw's suggested question may give you a different perspective assuming you can get honest feedback. (I'm doubtful that the ones who did not enjoy their hike are posting on WB).

I was posting to both of you. I agree with your point, and I kind of wonder if there would be any one on here who would post about their attempt. I know plenty who still had a positive experience. It would be interesting to hear how not making it to Katahdin might color someone's hike.

88BlueGT
04-22-2011, 11:54
^^ All Very true, I would just change the title of the thread but I do not think thats possible after its made :/

Its OK, I have a pretty good understanding and after putting some serious thought into it, I know I wouldn't feel that way. Especially considering there are many hikes that I have done 3-4 times (which is definitely enough lol) and still enjoy them. Busting out 20 miles a day, you'll never catch everything, there will always be new people, scenery changes, seasons change, etc. So, I answered my own question.

You guys certainly are right though, asking about 'regretting a thru-hike ATTEMPT' would of yielded better answers. Its ok though, no worries.