PDA

View Full Version : Bug repellent

Montana Mac
04-14-2011, 14:06
I had this emailed to me and I have not tried it yet. Has anybody else heard of it?

I know from experience that this REALLY WORKS. I used the gold colored Listerine after the mosquitoes were landing all over me last time I visted my cousin in Sandpoint. I used it on my face, neck, arms and legs and NOT ONE MOSQUITO lit on me. Also it doesn't have anything in it that's bad for you, so give it a try.

Barb

How to Kill Mosquitoes - NOT A JOKE
http://email01.secureserver.net/download.php?rand=946273&folder=INBOX&uid=5197&part=2&tnef_part=-1&aEmlPart=0&orig=cid%3A9861C418276B4F229D366E7224DC9EC7%40tosh ibauser&inline=1&filename=Image1.jpg&type=image%2Fjpeg&encoding=base64&
"I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it....Pass it on."
http://email01.secureserver.net/download.php?rand=396733&folder=INBOX&uid=5197&part=3&tnef_part=-1&aEmlPart=0&orig=cid%3AACFAB6BC6B3E4227B968FE341890F5D9%40tosh ibauser&inline=1&filename=Image2.jpg&type=image%2Fjpeg&encoding=base64&
OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: "I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes."
"So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house."
http://email01.secureserver.net/download.php?rand=523551&folder=INBOX&uid=5197&part=4&tnef_part=-1&aEmlPart=0&orig=cid%3A518AC3083A71485FB9649FBFFBF9F9F0%40tosh ibauser&inline=1&filename=Image3.jpg&type=image%2Fjpeg&encoding=base64&

Majortrauma
04-14-2011, 14:11
I am an alumni from the University of Parris Island circa 1981 and although I can't vouch for the above remedy I can tell you that Avon Skin So Soft mixed with isopropyl alcohol is an amazing insect repellent. Sand fleas do not like that stuff.

WingedMonkey
04-14-2011, 14:27
My father tried it for doing yard work. I didn't do any thing.

WingedMonkey
04-14-2011, 14:28
My father tried it for doing yard work. I didn't do any thing.
IT didn't do anything

hikerboy57
04-14-2011, 14:31
Avon skin so soft was actually tested in a lab againast other common repellants against mosquitoes, and skin so soft was no different than if you had worn nothing at all.Deet was the only repellant that showed a significant reduction in bites.citronella was shown to be somewhat effective, but nowhere near as good a s DEET.

hikerboy57
04-14-2011, 14:32
IT didn't do anything
If you're like me, you had it right the first time.

WingedMonkey
04-14-2011, 14:39
In one episode of Man vs. Wild Bear Grylls rubbed Alligator fat on his face claiming it keep mosquitoes away. I was around a lot of dead gators in my youth and never noticed they cared one way or the other.
(the mosquitoes that is)

:D

ChinMusic
04-14-2011, 15:10
In one episode of Man vs. Wild Bear Grylls rubbed Alligator fat on his face claiming it keep mosquitoes away.
At least he didn't rub a fat alligator on his face...........or maybe he did.....:-?

The Counselor
04-14-2011, 23:21
Don't ever, ever spend another dime on any kind of "short cut", sassafrass, extra-virgin mosquito repellant. Ever. This includes electric zappers, funky lights, candles, oils, sound emitters, propane dispensers, citronella scented leisure suits, incense, bracelets, backslappers or bug baubles. Trust the Counselor, the bacon-wrapped filet mignon with a side of shrooms and loaded baked potato of the mosquito world. Chemicals, people. Spray chemicals (from an aerosol can) on your skin. All over your body. Not mango fragranced, new-fangled Avon lotion posing as bug spray and, for gracious' sake, not skin so soft (strong enough for a woman and made for a woman). Chemicals. Your choices are Off and Deep Wood Off. Head to toe.

Catchy slogan to help you remember this tip? Deep Woods Off: It Works.

No extra charge.

weary
04-14-2011, 23:31
Avon skin so soft was actually tested in a lab againast other common repellants against mosquitoes, and skin so soft was no different than if you had worn nothing at all.Deet was the only repellant that showed a significant reduction in bites.citronella was shown to be somewhat effective, but nowhere near as good a s DEET.
Thats been my experience. So there seems to be little room for disagreement.

cavediver256
04-15-2011, 00:03
I have had pretty good luck with this stuff...... http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

It even seems to keep away those mosquitoes that can stand flat footed and make love to a turkey!!!!!

hikerboy57
04-15-2011, 07:31
Believe it or not, I had tried Vitamin b1 that I had read about somewhere, and it actually worked pretty well against mosquitoes, although I doubt it has any effect on ticks. Apparently B1 changes your body chemistry that gives off an odor they dont like. I was hiking alone, so Im not sure of its effects on humans.But I still bring Bens when I know bugs are going to be an issue.

Newb
04-15-2011, 08:21
Don't ever, ever spend another dime on any kind of "short cut", sassafrass, extra-virgin mosquito repellant. Ever. This includes electric zappers, funky lights, candles, oils, sound emitters, propane dispensers, citronella scented leisure suits, incense, bracelets, backslappers or bug baubles. Trust the Counselor, the bacon-wrapped filet mignon with a side of shrooms and loaded baked potato of the mosquito world. Chemicals, people. Spray chemicals (from an aerosol can) on your skin. All over your body. Not mango fragranced, new-fangled Avon lotion posing as bug spray and, for gracious' sake, not skin so soft (strong enough for a woman and made for a woman). Chemicals. Your choices are Off and Deep Wood Off. Head to toe.

Catchy slogan to help you remember this tip? Deep Woods Off: It Works.

No extra charge.

Wait a minute. Sassafrass leaves woven into your hat keeps flies away from your nugget. Sure, you look like the wild man of the forest...

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2011, 08:32
Bunch of hippy types in the hiking community that talk a lot about all the bad chemicals in modern society, yet they're very quick to recommend Deet:confused: I've never heard or seen one do the natural mosquito repellent thing -- apply copious amounts of mud. That's what animals do.

hikerboy57
04-15-2011, 09:10
Bunch of hippy types in the hiking community that talk a lot about all the bad chemicals in modern society, yet they're very quick to recommend Deet:confused: I've never heard or seen one do the natural mosquito repellent thing -- apply copious amounts of mud. That's what animals do.
Jerry Rubin, one of the founders of the Yippie movement, went on to host "networking parties" in NYC in the 80s.
Things change.
Maybe because they recovered from the "bad chemicals" they were taking in the 60s.

max patch
04-15-2011, 10:00
Urban legend

chrisoc
04-15-2011, 10:10
I prefer Cutter

TallShark
04-15-2011, 11:51
how well do the exofficio bug bandanas work? thinking about just going with one of those.

Newb
04-15-2011, 14:08
how well do the exofficio bug bandanas work? thinking about just going with one of those.

All the Ex-Officio clothing is simply pre-treatred with Permethrin. It wears out after a few washings...so it's really a sales gimmick.

If you want to achieve the same effect just pick up some permethrin at Wally Mart and follow the instructions. It's really good stuff for keeping ticks off you.

Do not apply to skin. Also, I once witnessed this stuff take the enamel paint off my Lieutenant bar...do not ingest.

erichkopp
04-15-2011, 14:26
I hardly ever wear bug repellent, and won't touch anything with DEET in it. I have some repellent made of natural oils and beeswax that works somewhat. A head net can make a tremendous difference in making mosquitoes more bearable.

ChinMusic
04-15-2011, 14:31
Ultrathon gives me a full-days protection. Gotta thank Yogisan for that tip.

weary
04-15-2011, 22:36
I hardly ever wear bug repellent, and won't touch anything with DEET in it. I have some repellent made of natural oils and beeswax that works somewhat. A head net can make a tremendous difference in making mosquitoes more bearable.
I've used 100 percent liquid DEET since it came out decades ago. I'm still alive and reasonably healthy. It works and as near as I can tell, is pretty harmless. I use the liquid because it's cheaper, weighs less than aerosols, and fits easily in my pocket. Also I don't like to breathe the stuff into my lungs.

Tinker
04-15-2011, 23:02
Anything with Deet will work if applied to your skin. Lower concentrations are recommended for children. Do not rub your eyes if you have it on your hands. It stings and makes it impossible to see.
Apply any of the repellants with permethrin in them to clothing in a well-ventilated area (outdoors ;)). Do not let wind blow it into your face and do not inhale it (I hold my breath and step away when the wind changes - and no, I don't apply it on windy days unless I do it in the garage). Once dry (2-4 hours, more if it's humid) it won't be absorbed into your skin (or so they say - but I wonder what happens if you sweat or it rains, because they say not to bathe in streams with permethrin treated clothing as it can kill aquatic life - use sparingly. A similar chemical, pyrethrin, is used in tick treatments for animals (applied to the skin at the base of the neck), though I've heard that it can be deadly to cats.

Montana Mac
04-16-2011, 10:19
I've used 100 percent liquid DEET since it came out decades ago. I'm still alive and reasonably healthy. It works and as near as I can tell, is pretty harmless. I use the liquid because it's cheaper, weighs less than aerosols, and fits easily in my pocket. Also I don't like to breathe the stuff into my lungs.

Unless you are allergic to it, as my son is :(

njordan2
04-16-2011, 10:41
No doubt DEET works the best. You can overdo it, though.

I was hiking in a mosquito and tick infested area and using deet. I was sweating enough such that it kept washing off, so I kept aplying it. That night was even worse, so I doused myself with deet before hitting the sack. The next morning I woke up with an unbelievable headache. It felt like my eyes were going to explode. I think maybe it was a deet overdose.

Panzer1
04-16-2011, 12:22
its a joke

Panzer

Chop
04-17-2011, 01:53
Every time I see my doctor, he repeats his mantra to use deet. His main concern is lymes.