PDA

View Full Version : Bus Stops near southern AT

A-Train
01-20-2005, 22:40
I know Abingdon bus station is closing down soon, or has just closed, but I was wondering what other greyhound/Amtrak stops are relatively close to the AT anywhere from the Natahalas to Damascus. I have a week off in late march and was throwing around the idea of a section hike.

The idea is to take transportation from the north somewhere, get on the trail and hike and take transportation home. I'm trying to avoid expensive shuttles if possible. Anyway, if anyones got any bright ideas/input, I'd love it.

Plenty of hiking closer to me, but in March, still gonna be pretty cold and snow-filled and people-less.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 23:14
I know Abingdon bus station is closing down soon, or has just closed, but I was wondering what other greyhound/Amtrak stops are relatively close to the AT anywhere from the Natahalas to Damascus. I have a week off in late march and was throwing around the idea of a section hike.
===============================
A-Train ...there's a station in Asheville, NC

'Slogger

wacocelt
01-20-2005, 23:39
There is a bus station in Johnson City Tn. Ms.Janet will usually pick up folks in J.City, or make arrangements at least. Enjoy your hiking time, hope this helps!

Tim Rich
01-21-2005, 00:18
If you're looking to hike north Georgia, fly. Sale fares on Delta, usually in response to an Airtran sale, can be cheaper than bus fare even with a shuttle from Atlanta thrown in. A mid-March Airtran round trip ATL/NY currently runs $186.90, but sometimes dips into the 140s. Think of your time as well - hammering down on a 24 hour bus trip versus a two hour flight will beat you up and cut into the quality and quantity of your hike.

Profile at Hikerhostel.com has a $55 special that includes a ride from the airport or train station, a night's stay and a shuttle to Springer or Amicalola Falls State Park.

Perhaps Profile would agree to give you a shuttle back to the airport if you got a ride up to their place to begin. Perhaps a Whiteblaze member from GA could get you up there or back. If you give me enough notice, fly up on a weekday, and take a $2 subway ride to from the airport to Midtown Atlanta, I might be able to get you the rest of the way. Although I've helped a few folks with shuttles over the years, members of AT-L, Whiteblaze and others in the AT community have helped me far more during my last 16 years of section hiking. I'm due.

You don't have to go south to hike the AT in March, though. Several years back, we started our Delaware Water Gap to Bear Mountain section on March 24th, had some snow but pretty good weather overall.

Whatever you decide, I give you the same welcome I give all our northern friends: Enjoy the South, then go home. :D

Take Care,

Tim

TakeABreak
01-21-2005, 01:00
The only suggestion I have hear is to take the greyhound into Waynesville, NC. or Asheville NC. From there you can you can either hitch to the trail or, talk to the bus driver (depending on which place you choose) and see if the driver going to Knoxville (from Aheville or waynesville) will stop and let you out at waterville road exit (the first exit in TN, where the A.T. crosses under I-40) or if the driver going to Johnson City from Asheville will let you out at Sams Gap, (where the A.T. crosses I-23, at the NC TN state lines). I would definitely talk to the driver before I boarded the bus to make that they would be cool with and that you have you pack on board so all they would have to do is off for a second.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2005, 01:52
Wytheville, Va. 50+ miles north of Damascus on I-81