PDA

View Full Version : Amazing people

LordoftheWings
04-14-2011, 17:56
I've had a great time so far in my first 100 miles. I've met some great folks. Im so impressed with two that I have to mention it. While strolling the streets of Franklin NC I stopped at the outdoor 76 outfitter. I walked in and was greeting by two of the coolest dogs ever. There was a footwear inservice going on upon entering. I was so impressed with the passion and enthusiasm of the provider I asked if I could set in. My feet have been my biggest problem. I was politely asked to join. I sat for what must have been an hour. In 5 years in the physical therapy field and 15+ in the medical field I've never learned so much about shoes proper fit and individual attention. After the inservice the man helped me with my new boots I had shipped here. I didn't buy from them mind you. He helped with understanding my gait as well as socks to fit my 14W feet. It was spot on. I continued to shop for my needed supplies. I asked where the best bbq joint was. They said 4 miles out of town. The gentleman offered me a ride. I gladly accepted. It was all uphill btw. I ate a glorious dinner and started walking back. I got 3/4 of the way back and 500 or so cars later a suv pulled in behind me. It was the wife of the gentleman in the store she recognized me and stopped what she was doing to offer me a ride. Overwhelmed I accepted. As it turns out they were both running errands for a Hiker appreciation cookout. These folks were Corey and Bethany. They are very deserving of thanks and whatever business we can give them. LOTW
:D

LordoftheWings
04-14-2011, 18:05
Btw. Special thanks to the first baptist church for their free pick up, breakfast and return. They had a great pancake bacon and juice/coffee breakfast for hikers. They sent their van to all of the local hotels and picked up all of us dirty footed bottomless pits. They will receive a donation and card from me. Awesome fellowship.

Amanita
04-14-2011, 18:48
I'm glad to see your thru hike is going well. Many of us have been anxiously awaiting updates from you on trailjournals. Best of luck with your quest, and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Second Half
04-14-2011, 18:50
Dude, glad to hear you're having such a good time. And congrats on the weight loss so far!

ScrapIron
04-14-2011, 20:01
Very glad to have heard about you. We were talking about you on the trail the other day. Looking forward to more good updates.

bus
04-15-2011, 11:43
I dig these types of post-the kind that convey the kindness and coolness ofthe greater hiking community.

Very Cool.. Enjoy your hike...and I hope you get to kiss that sign on that mountain in Maine

Driver8
04-15-2011, 12:31
I'm glad to see your thru hike is going well. Many of us have been anxiously awaiting updates from you on trailjournals. Best of luck with your quest, and I hope to hear from you again soon.

FYI, LordoftheWings' journal is here: http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=4b0af43a5e84a0f572a2a4e4336c63 3f&event_id=941

He's writing notes on the way, then mailing them to his sister when he reaches towns. She then transcribes them. He was in Hiawassee Sunday or so, so she probably will get some up for us this weekend.

Sickmont
04-15-2011, 15:05
Good to hear from ya, buddy! So glad your enjoying your hike. Cheers!

LordoftheWings
04-18-2011, 18:03
Thanks driver. It nice to have support from everyone. My two partners had to quit but im trying hard not to be discouraged. Www.postholer.com/LordoftheWings

double d
04-18-2011, 19:54
That is a great story so far of your hike! Keep up the hike, you're doing great, I'm happy that you have met alot of good people out on the AT. As you get more miles in, the stronger your body/mind will become. Good luck and enjoy each step!

Mr. Carter
04-19-2011, 11:36
Thanks driver. It nice to have support from everyone. My two partners had to quit but im trying hard not to be discouraged. Www.postholer.com/LordoftheWings (http://Www.postholer.com/LordoftheWings)

Sorry to hear about that, but keep your head up! I have been following your trail journals, keep them coming, and keep up the hard work! Just know that you are inspiring people with your journey!

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 12:04
I dig these types of post-the kind that convey the kindness and coolness of the greater hiking community.

I'll "second" those remarks! The kindness and coolness of the greater hiking community is something to behold. And it's great of LordoftheWings to share his experience with us.

Rain:sunMan

ScrapIron
04-25-2011, 12:54
Just wondering how the Big Guy is doing? Anybody heard from him?

chelko
04-25-2011, 14:13
He hasn't posted on his journal since the 11th but the SPOT locator put him at Derrick Knob Shelter in the Smokies this past weekend.

Second Half
04-25-2011, 14:31
He has kept his facebook page updated a bit better than his journal. He was enjoying beers and wings in Gatlinburg a couple nights ago. He also sounds more determined/dedicated to finishing than ever before. Sounds like he's having the experience of a lifetime.

Edited to add: He's having trouble with his SPOT device so that may not be the best indicator of his location.

Edited again to add: I'm jealous.

ScrapIron
04-25-2011, 16:19
Thanks for the info guys. Glad to hear that he is still moving along.

conmcb25
04-30-2011, 06:59
Could someone that has it post his Facebook Page linky?

Thanks!

Driver8
04-30-2011, 10:56
He's taken time away from the trail, having gotten to G'burg, to sell his truck. He wants plenty of cash to have a comfortable experience on his thru, he's said. He also posted that, as an emergnecy responder, EMT I believe, he may deploy for a while to the tornado-affected areas, I'm guessing in Alabama. So he's on a break from trail right now. Hoping to get back soon, says his determination to finish is as strong as ever.

One Half
04-30-2011, 11:11
LOTW - I really felt for you when your hiking partners had to bail. I hope you get back on the trail soon. I enjoy reading your journal.

Firefighter503
04-30-2011, 15:03
LOTW - Great to see you are knocking out the miles. I've been off the trail for 2 weeks now to help with my brother while he recovers from an accident (lucky to be alive), but am planning on getting back on in Erwin, TN next Sunday. Reading journals while I am home makes it really hard to stay.

LordoftheWings
04-30-2011, 16:56
Thanks again for the support. Im off the trail for as short as possible. Im waiting for word on my next move. Either way I will continue. A flip flop or other strategy will probably be needed but I will make it happen

Lybarger
05-01-2011, 14:26
Plenty of fine folks up north too.

Tom Levardi and Rob Bird in Dalton, MA
Chris and Arla in Bennington, VT
Jeff at Green Mountain House
Chet in Lincoln, NH

LordoftheWings
05-08-2011, 14:39
Just as an update appropriate for this topic. A large group of us was taken into Gatlinburg by an amazing couple. They have a son with an incredible story of hiking, cancer survival and a thru-hike. Their story was very moving and inspirational. I was also helped by a security guard at the Knoxville airport to secure my gear while I was getting a car rental. I hope my experiences continue to be as memorable and touching.
I have sold my truck/tow trailer and will be heading back within a week or so. I can't wait to get back.

Driver8
05-08-2011, 20:20
Trail magic is just mostly good people. Thank goodness there are a lot of them out there. Look forward to your continued journey, Wings. I know you do all the more. :)