PDA

View Full Version : Light Hiker...A Pictorial

JaxHiker
04-14-2011, 22:54
Just finished a little mini-review of my new Light Hiker (from Tree To Trail Gear) in case anyone's interested. Check it out at my blog right here (http://www.idratherbehiking.com/light-hiker-hammock/).

When I started looking at the Switchback line I didn't find much to show me the real detail of the hammocks. I hope I've bridged that gap with the Light Hiker at least. Hope it helps someone that might be on the fence.

hikemikehike
04-17-2011, 10:20
wow! that thing has a bug net and everything. is that standard for hammocks? that thing looks pretty legit. c

JaxHiker
04-17-2011, 19:44
Many hammocks come with bug nets. Some that don't are Speer and ENO. Some manufacturers like Warbonnet and Claytor makes both styles.

JaxHiker
05-12-2011, 09:38
Why advertise your stuff in my thread about another product?

Pete Moss
05-12-2011, 09:43
Why advertise your stuff in my thread about another product?
1) why not? Just letting people know there are other options smiilar to a product you are talking about, happens on here all the time.

2)Didnt realize this was YOUR thread

JaxHiker
05-12-2011, 10:11
1) why not? Just letting people know there are other options smiilar to a product you are talking about, happens on here all the time.

Seems kind of rude in this type of thread. I see two different approaches.

1) Someone asks, "Hey, I'm looking for a new top quilt, what do you guys recommend?" In response we all chip in about this brand and that brand.

2) Someone says, "Hey, let me tell you about product x, I really like it." In response people start posting competing products.

I don't see any problem with #1. In scenario #2 I don't think it's right to basically say, "Well, that's all well and good but you should really look at this instead." I wasn't soliciting feedback on anything. I was focusing specifically on one single product and manufacturer. If you want to tout your goods then start your own thread.

2)Didnt realize this was YOUR thread
Well, let's see, I started the thread so yes, it's MY thread.

Buffalo Skipper
05-12-2011, 10:20
JaxHiker, I really like the look of your Light Hiker (especially the zippers on both sides), but I was a little surprised by the weight. By comparison, my (Grand Trunk) Skeeter Beeter Pro weighs in at 30.1 with suspension (and admitedly, my suspension is excessive: it includes 2 10' whoopies and 2 12' tree straps and toggles--I have 2x the suspension length I have ever needed).

I am not shorting the Light Hiker, in fact I am looking to replace my SBpro, just surprised at the weight. I had always considered my SBpro to be on the heavy side....

JaxHiker
05-12-2011, 10:32
It seems like the SBP is heavy for what it is. Looking at Amazon it's 27 oz (I assume that's just the hammock). The LH is close to that but it's also a double layer instead of a single layer which gives you some added flexibility. I've also reduced the weight of rigging by replacing the biners (even though they were already lightweight) with toggles.

I'm heading out of town tonight but I can try to re-weigh everything if you'd like. The more I use the LH the more I like it. I really do wish I would've switched a long time ago.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if you want to try and compare it with your SBP.

Buffalo Skipper
05-12-2011, 11:03
It seems like the SBP is heavy for what it is. Looking at Amazon it's 27 oz (I assume that's just the hammock). The LH is close to that but it's also a double layer instead of a single layer which gives you some added flexibility. I've also reduced the weight of rigging by replacing the biners (even though they were already lightweight) with toggles.

I'm heading out of town tonight but I can try to re-weigh everything if you'd like. The more I use the LH the more I like it. I really do wish I would've switched a long time ago.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if you want to try and compare it with your SBP.

No need to reweigh everything. :) I never doubted you data.
I did not realize the LH is a double layer. In fact, that is great information for me, as a double is one of the criteria for my new hammock. Do you have dimensions for length and width? The SBP is 6" longer than many similar hammocks (one of the longest made!), but it is 6" narrower. I am 6' 1" and like the longer and wider hammocks.

Thanks again for the good information on the LH. I may add that to my very small short list.

JaxHiker
05-12-2011, 11:22
Here are the specs on the Switchback. The LH is the same only 8" shorter.

General Specs are as follows:
1. Dimensions: 120" x 52"
2. Weight: 1 lb 15 oz (w/o suspension)
3. Two full length zippers w/ dbl tab pulls
4. Single or double layer (double only for the LH)
5. Two interior loops (located in the ends to secure pillow, small bag, etc)
6. Two interior net loops
7. Two exterior tie outs (four on the LH-only two have d-rings)
8. Two interior pockets
9. Channel end design

I'm also 6'1" and I'm very comfortable. I was worried about the 8" but it fits me fine. In fact I can't imagine it being longer. The width is fine for me. Some have complained about shoulder squeeze but I just use the side tie-outs and it's plenty wide.

GrandCanyonWildflowr
06-06-2011, 00:40
Thanks for the pictorial. It's not always easy to find a flat place to pitch a tent.

JaxHiker
06-06-2011, 10:00
Exactly why I love the flexibility the hammock gives you. I took the Light Hiker out with my all last week while hiking from Deep Gap to NOC and it rocked! I absolutely love it.

pixelgrunt
06-10-2011, 08:02
I've been using a Hennessey for two years now, and I like it. But there are a few things that I'd like to improve with my next hammock:

- I like the idea of a dual layer bottom. Keeping the sleeping pad or quilt in place should be significantly easier.
- Of course I want something lighter. 41 oz. for the Hennessey vs. 24 oz. (using published specs, I'm at work and can't weight mine with suspension right now). That weight difference is significant.
- And I am kinda tired of giving birth to myself upon every egress- I want a normal zippered entry.

However, I do have a question. Does the Light Hiker allow for the more flat, off-center sleeping? Or are you laying along the axis of the suspension? I may be willing to give that benefit up, regardless of the answer, but I'm curious.

JaxHiker
06-12-2011, 15:32
I think I lay flatter in the Light Hiker than in my Hennessy. I'm still asymmetric. My feet make a little pocket to the left and my head to the right. Then again sometimes I'm on my side so my head is to the left and I'm in a fetal position with knees bent and feet to the right. I sleep very well either way.

I think I'm going to send my Hennessy to 2Q for the zipper mod. I figure that might overcome some of the things I thought were good when I bought it but now I've come to be not too fond of...like rebirth. ;)