PDA

View Full Version : Don't make me get my belt.

The Counselor
04-14-2011, 23:15
Some convertible pants have a built in belt thingie. Some don't but still have belt loops. Stop arguing about such inane topics like LNT and how fast a lady hikes. Inquiring minds want to know. Do you wear a belt when you hike?

WingedMonkey
04-14-2011, 23:24
Not while hiking, sometimes in town if I tuck in a shirt. Like to carry the "belt" as an extra quick click web strap, in case I need to add something to the pack. I'm a 32 inch waste so sometimes I replace it with one that fit's my needs if longer is needed.

cavediver256
04-14-2011, 23:55
Hardly ever leave home without my belt, I use one of the "last resort belts" that can be used for rappelling if necessary, used as a tourniquet, a sling or about a hundred other things.....

Like this: http://www.spectergear.com/lrb.htm

Two Tents
04-14-2011, 23:56
Yep I gotta wear one to keep my pants up or I'll leave a big trace and the ladies will hike faster( or slower if behind my behind)

sbhikes
04-15-2011, 00:32
Yes, I wear a belt. On a long distance hike, anyway. I lose a lot of weight and something has to keep my pants up.

leaftye
04-15-2011, 00:34
I'm a fatty, so I need the belt to keep my pants up as I rapidly lose weight on the trail.

map man
04-15-2011, 00:52
The manufacturer of the pack I use, made by LuxuryLite, recommends not wearing a belt under the pack's hip belt, so I don't. I make sure to wear shirts that are plenty long and I tuck them in, because I'm not an exhibitionist.

tat44too
04-15-2011, 01:17
Like cavediver256, I use a "last resort belt". Tough as nails with a bazillion uses. Good luck...

JackRyan
04-15-2011, 01:30
Like cavediver256, I use a "last resort belt". Tough as nails with a bazillion uses. Good luck...

I bought some paracord and made myself a paracord belt. The last few inches can easily be rewoven to change the length.
It is the MOST comfortable belt I have ever worn. And if the desperate need ever arises, I have around 75 feet of 550 paracord on me.

(at that point I can just run one strand around my waist if I really do need a belt for belt purposes)

JackRyan
04-15-2011, 01:32
^ forgot the link

http://chubbysurvivalist.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/braided-survival-belt-with-550-mil-spec-paracord/

Toolshed
04-15-2011, 02:20
I bought some paracord and made myself a paracord belt. The last few inches can easily be rewoven to change the length.
It is the MOST comfortable belt I have ever worn. And if the desperate need ever arises, I have around 75 feet of 550 paracord on me.

(at that point I can just run one strand around my waist if I really do need a belt for belt purposes)
LOL 75 Feet??? I forget now - do you multiply by 6 or divide by 6? Either way, that's a biiiig waist...... :banana

mweinstone
04-15-2011, 06:34
sober these days. gonna go beltless a while. drinkin and walkin with god just kinda make me feel weird. skinneyer too. need a belt more now. but,.....god and all. you know. feel me? i love you guys way too much.

Trailbender
04-15-2011, 07:07
Hardly ever leave home without my belt, I use one of the "last resort belts" that can be used for rappelling if necessary, used as a tourniquet, a sling or about a hundred other things.....

Seems like the buckle would get in the way of the hip belt.

Yes, I wear a belt. On a long distance hike, anyway. I lose a lot of weight and something has to keep my pants up.

You can run a piece of 550 cord between two belt loops and tie them together.

NYKh
04-15-2011, 08:47

Ditto....:D

general
04-15-2011, 09:20
drawstring, much more comfortable under a pack that a belt.

sizemj
04-15-2011, 09:34
Yes my pack always seems to push my pants down. I wear http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___05550

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 10:52
I wear the belt that is part of my convertible pants. My pants DO have loops but I'm not sure if the belt thats in there is removable or not? never tried to remove it, never had to. So yes, I do wear a belt.

fredmugs
04-15-2011, 10:55
No belts. I typically only wear running shorts.

sliderule
04-15-2011, 11:01
Hardly ever leave home without my belt, I use one of the "last resort belts" that can be used for rappelling if necessary...

Be sure to carry plenty of rope and pitons, too. You never know when you might need get off a cliff in a hurry!!!

88BlueGT
04-15-2011, 11:11
It would be way more efficient to just carry a collapsible hang-glider. You guys are so dumb.

cavediver256
04-15-2011, 11:23
Be sure to carry plenty of rope and pitons, too. You never know when you might need get off a cliff in a hurry!!!

I have done my fair share of climbing and rappelling, and I will be the first to admit, I hope like hell I never actually have to use the belt for that purpose, but I do carry 200' of 11.5mm rope just in case !!!!!! :rolleyes::p:D

Trailbender, I have never had a problem with the buckle getting in the way or being uncomfortable under the pack's hip belt, of course YMMV.

Buffalo Skipper
04-15-2011, 11:29
I try to wear the belt thingie that comes with my hiking pants. The buckle is usually low enough profile that it does not cause problems with the backpack hipbelt.

The best one I own came with my Mountain Hardware kilt.

SMSP
04-15-2011, 12:44
I toss the belts that come with the pants and use my own along with some HSGI Suspenders. I cant stand my pants riding down throughout the day. It works for me.SMSP

JackRyan
04-15-2011, 14:48
LOL 75 Feet??? I forget now - do you multiply by 6 or divide by 6? Either way, that's a biiiig waist...... :banana

haha it's actually on a 33" belt, 1 inch wide. If you make the knots tight enough and overlap them you can fit quite a lot of paracord on here.

It's amazing how I start with a 100' strand and can weave it down to around 35 inches.

Trailbender
04-15-2011, 18:30
Trailbender, I have never had a problem with the buckle getting in the way or being uncomfortable under the pack's hip belt, of course YMMV.

I wore that same belt in Iraq, but it is a bit heavy and overkill for hiking.

Dogwood
04-15-2011, 18:36
Do you wear a belt when you hike? - The Counselor

Overkill, when hiking, IMO.

Just get shorts with a tiny built in cord that is tied inside your waistband not unlike the running shorts with pockets made by GoLite. Lite and simple!

Or, just get shorts with at least a partial elastic stretchable waistband.

kayak karl
04-15-2011, 19:07
my belt is a tree hugger, the other is my dogs leash (which she does not use)

enurdat1
04-15-2011, 20:42
I used to wear one, but I quit wearing pants and that improved alot of things. Lost 3 lbs on my overall loaded weight between pants, xtra pr of pants and belt. Much cooler in the summer, save money when I stop in towns, and I hike faster in the winter! Can't seem find any hiking partners though?!?!?!?! :D

TexasEd
04-16-2011, 00:51
Yes, my pack's hip belt pushes down my shorts otherwise.

Harrison Bergeron
04-16-2011, 09:12
I've given up on belts when hiking. They just can't compete with the weight of the pack belt pushing down all the time, and I wind up looking like a rap star with my butt hanging out. Suspenders work much better.

The Snowman
04-16-2011, 13:00
yes I do on most hikes