PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Hike With Anyone.....

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2005, 23:16
I enjoyed the "book list" thread where people mentioned their favorite books to hike with. Along those lines.....if you could have ANYONE as a hiking partner, (i.e famous person, author, etc). who would it be? Oh, and let's limit it to two posibilities, one living and one dead.

This could get interesting.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 23:20
For me that's a no-brainer. The person I'd most like to hike with is my wife, BadAss Turtle. Second to that would be one of my two kids.

That takes care of the "living". As for the faithfully departed ...I'd most like to hike with my Dad.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tha Wookie
01-20-2005, 23:23
Yes, Jack, this could get quite interesting.

I would hike with Jesus and I would hike with Jesus.

Dances with Mice
01-20-2005, 23:27
I enjoyed the "book list" thread where people mentioned their favorite books to hike with. Along those lines.....if you could have ANYONE as a hiking partner, (i.e famous person, author, etc). who would it be? Oh, and let's limit it to two posibilities, one living and one dead.

This could get interesting.

Dead - Sam Houston.

Alive - Hmmm. There are places along the AT where one could bury a body and it'd never be found, right? That might influence my choice...

rocket04
01-20-2005, 23:30
For a living person, I'd choose my brother. For a deceased person, tougher choice. Probably Einstein to pick his brain or Bob Marley for entertainment!

grandview
01-20-2005, 23:34
Jesus either way.

Jack Kerouac dead: during his dharma bum days.

wacocelt
01-20-2005, 23:36
Alive - Tripp

Deceased - (As long as we could overcome the language barrier) The Roman Emperor Julian

BlackCloud
01-20-2005, 23:38
Dead: T.Roosevelt would make a GREAT hiking partner.
Alive: Jennifer Aniston IS the most beautiful woman in the world.

wacocelt
01-20-2005, 23:40
Almsot forgot... Jack, you didn't answer your own question, I call FOUL! :D

BlackCloud
01-20-2005, 23:43
Almsot forgot... Jack, you didn't answer your own question, I call FOUL! :DTHAT'S CLASSIC!

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2005, 00:12
All right, I was gonna wait awhile. But since you asked:

Dead: Sir Richard Francis Burton (the explorer/travel writer, not the actor).
He'd be great to talk to and he doesn't strike me as a whiner.

Alive: I dunno. Maybe Ann Coulter. She looks like she could do the miles,
we agree on a lot of things, and it's about time I started seeing some-
one approximately my own age.

TakeABreak
01-21-2005, 01:13
Well God, is always there whether we ralize it or not. He just lets us go ahead and do dumb things when they we not pleasing to him. So I am going to assume you mean someone else either than him.

Live, so far it would be the lady I hiked with in the southern part of the A.T. Rikki Tikki Tovi.

Dead, would be either the grandfather on my dads side died when is too young to remember him or my grandfather on my moms side who died when I was only about eight years and never got a chance to really get to know. Both of gradmother's lived long lives and also, so I would pick one of them next.

napster
01-21-2005, 01:23
OK THIS IS MY FIRST THREAD EVER,I'VE BEEN A SPECTATOR FOR MORE THEN I CAN STAND NOW BUT IM GONNA SEE HOW THIS THANG WORKS....DEAD..IT WOULD BE SOME GOOD SPIRITED SEASONED NATIVE AMERICAN TO SHOW ME ALL EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL PLANTS, THE ART OF FIRE MAKING AND TRACKING TO NAME A FEW THIS WOULD CUT OUT HICHING TRIPS TO TOWN AND WEIGHT ON MY BACK. DO NOT THINK IT WOULD IMPACT MY FIRST AID KIT AS DUCT TAPE AND SUPER GLUE AND BENADRIL DON'T ADD UP TO SO MUCH....ALIVE..WELL THATS A EASY ONE ..JESUS WOULD BE MY FIRST PICK THEN MY WIFE NEXT..AND MAYBE A BOOK TO HELP ON MY SPELLING AND GRAMMER :rolleyes: .

Lugnut
01-21-2005, 01:25
Dead would be Thomas Jefferson Living would be Bill Irwin because even though I have talked to several people of high character who say they saw him during his hike I still have a hard time seeing (no pun intended) how he did it. Guess I'm a skeptic. Not trying to derail the thread - just answering the question.

Stuart
01-21-2005, 01:47
Deceased: Without jumping in too deep on this one, going with my first thought.... Karl Marx. Of course you'd give anything to take a few steps with a family member.

Living: Baltimore Jack - I hesitate to say this because I know it looks like I'm kissing ass (I don't kiss ass), but this was my first thought and after contemplating it Jack would be the one.

minnesotasmith
01-21-2005, 04:16
Someone else picked Ann Coulter and Thomas Jefferson, so they're out.

Lessee, live famous -- Rich Zubaty, Ron Paul or Leonard Peikoff.

Dead famous -- NB Forrest, Sun Tzu, Ayn Rand.

Live nonfamous -- either of a couple of girls I almost married (but didn't), or my best male friend (who would love to hike, but can't get away from his medical practice and large family for that long).

Dead nonfamous -- either my late financee (died suddenly of natural causes at age 23), or my great-grandfather who was in the Prussian Army and emigrated to America. He liked and often repeated the aphorism that "the time a man spends fishing is not subtracted from his allotted time here on Earth.". I suspect that it would be equally true if "hiking" were substituted for "fishing".

Ramble~On
01-21-2005, 05:23
Deceased : :sun Any Native American Indian who has a wealth of forest knowledge that called the Appalachians home long before the first European stepped foot in the New World.

Living: A down to earth, easy-going, long haired, younger than I, very into life, mellow, attractive physically(not overly beautiful) , very into nature, educated, fitness minded, fun, sense of humor having.........Female.:)

Ramble~On
01-21-2005, 05:30
Opps.. just was reading more of the above posts and read Napsters which I didn't read earlier cause I hate caps...

Oh well. Napster good call on the deceased. me too.

ToeJam
01-21-2005, 07:45
Cool thread hehe! :)

Well I'm not gonna waste one of my picks on my man cuz he is my ultimate hiking partner and always will be.

Dead: Mr. Rogers (hey, he could make ANYthing fun and interesting, couldn't he? And he'd always have a fresh sweater and dry shoes to share!)

Alive: Hmmm, John McCrea from the group CAKE? Seems like he would be mucho interestng to spend the time with and pick his brain, plus awesome campfire entertainment!

SGT Rock
01-21-2005, 08:18
Dead: Mark Twain, the younger version. That was actually an easy call. I bet a guy like that could have fun on the trail and be very entertaining. Probably would write a great journal too.

Alive:This one is a lot harder because there are so many folks I think it would be cool to hike with. But since we are talking famous people, I think I would like to drag Bill Brysons ass up the AT. That could be a hoot. I might need someone like LW to help with the logistics ;)

Blue Jay
01-21-2005, 08:45
Living: The next thru that comes down the trail. Rarely is the next thru I come across not a unique, wonderful and truly amazing creature. I would not want to limit my pick to be someone my limited brain would come up with.

Dead: John Muir as we'd always be sidetracked to the thousand of places no one else ever goes. Hiking dead must be great, the ultimate slack pack.

TJ aka Teej
01-21-2005, 09:33
Living - Barry Dana, Chief of the Penobscot Nation, defender of Native traditions at Katahdin.
Departed - Myron Avery, the man from Maine who built the Appalachian Trail, but only if he'd let me push the wheel that last bit up to Baxter Peak.

Uncle Wayne
01-21-2005, 09:34
Living hiking partner: has to be my wife, Tripper. I don't leave home without her. Besides she a registered nurse!

Dead hiking partner: John Hartford. Wish I could have met that guy.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2005, 10:05
I have no desire to hike with anyone dead or alive. I AM The Lone Wolf. I hike solo.

Bloodroot
01-21-2005, 10:57
Man this is tough...

Dead - Charles Darwin

Alive - Elvis ;), no probably Osama bin Laden so I could bring several more thousand troops home from Afgahistan. Don't ask me what I would do to him either!

c.coyle
01-21-2005, 11:04
This side - George Carlin. "Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy." Might as well laugh.

That side - Earl Shaffer on the first thru. He probably wouldn't want to hike with me.

grandview
01-21-2005, 11:06
Man this is tough...
probably Osama bin Laden so I could bring several more thousand troops home from Afgahistan. Don't ask me what I would do to him either!
You could stop over in DC with him and collect the 50million dollar reward on your way to Maine.

Bloodroot
01-21-2005, 11:09
You could stop over in DC with him and collect the 50million dollar reward on your way to Maine.
I would make a nation of people feel real good and get rich all at once!:banana

MOWGLI
01-21-2005, 11:33
Alive:

My first choice would be my wife Suzanne (aka Trail Widow). If she was not available and agreeable (yeah - right) my second choice would be Salma Hayek.

Dead:

William Bartram or John Belushi. I think I'd learn more with Bartram, but laugh more with Belushi. Something tells me Belushi wouldn't make it past Neels Gap though. Then again, I heard some folks say the same thing about me.

Alligator
01-21-2005, 12:12
Dead-Hiking with the Buddha would be interesting. Then again, I do hike with a little bit of the Buddha but I'm trying to lose it:D .

Living-Nelson Mandela.

max patch
01-21-2005, 12:23
Something tells me Belushi wouldn't make it past Neels Gap though.

I doubt Belushi is coming back. You'd probably get the same experience hiking with Easyhiker. Good luck.

Jaybird
01-21-2005, 12:33
i think there have been some VERY good selections....

i'm surprised it took soooooooooooo long before anyone mentioned THE MAN: Earl Shaffer....which is my DEAD pick too.

my alive pick would be: Baltimore Jack (no ass kissin'.. just fact) :D

MOWGLI
01-21-2005, 12:35
I doubt Belushi is coming back. You'd probably get the same experience hiking with Easyhiker. Good luck.

Yeah, you're right, I'd rather hike with William F. Buckley, William Saphire or George Will (yawn). Then again, I'd pay good money to be a fly on the wall with those 3 plus Baltimore Jack in a shelter. There would be some serious adjectives flyin' around! :D

wacocelt
01-21-2005, 12:39
I have no desire to hike with anyone dead or alive. I AM The Lone Wolf. I hike solo.

That's a cop out LW, you better give a real answer or I'll tell yer woomun!

BlackCloud
01-21-2005, 13:03
Deceased: Without jumping in too deep on this one, going with my first thought.... Karl Marx.

COMMUNISTS!

dje97001
01-21-2005, 13:40
Aisde from Family or Religious leaders/figures (which are really good answers, but I'm trying to be thoughtful here), I might walk with...
Dead: Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell (British War Hero and Founder of the Boy Scouts).Alive: Oliver North because I have no doubt that he would get me to finish and entertain with his war stories around the campfire (or possibly Dennis Miller).

Youngblood
01-21-2005, 19:24
...Something tells me Belushi wouldn't make it past Neels Gap though. Then again, I heard some folks say the same thing about me.They were talking about your pack.

The Old Fhart
01-21-2005, 20:09
Jaybird-"i'm surprised it took soooooooooooo long before anyone mentioned THE MAN: Earl Shaffer....which is my DEAD pick too.

my alive pick would be: Baltimore Jack (no ass kissin'.. just fact)"

There are so many good choices.

Dead, I'd hike with Ed Garvey instead of Earl Shaffer. Ed always had a mischievous twinkle in his eye and an upbeat attitude.

Live- I’ve already hiked with Jack which was fun but for variety I’d pick someone else. I like hiking with Model T ‘cause we can make fun of each other’s accents.

Stuart
01-21-2005, 20:23
COMMUNISTS!

Has nothing to do with COMMUNISTS. Has more to do with the ideologically impared acculturated to accept rather than think, to follow rather than question.

To put it in more popular terms:

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

Would it suit you better if I hiked with Morpheus? WHOA!!!!

Mr. Marx is Morpheus' daddy.

The association of Marx to Communism is understandable, but shortsighted.

Sorry to turn the thread down this road for the moment.

skeeterfeeder
01-21-2005, 20:59
Great question!...

Dead: One that I would pick is Kahlil Gibran. His writing has always struck a special chord with me. (And everyone is familiar with one of his most famous quotes, though you may not know it.)

Alive: Probably my mother, if she were younger and physically able. She is a wonderful blend of native american and european imigrants, born in the mountains af Arkansas; with a strong love for god, nature, and children that is awe inspiring.

Peaks
01-21-2005, 21:20
Well, I don't know any one dead well enough.

Alive, I'd pick Paseo in a heatbeat. We hiked together all the way through Virginia. It was great to have a companion who shared by goals for the AT. He is a great trail buddy.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-21-2005, 21:36
Janis Joplin and Max Cleland.

Just to hear Janis sing Bobby McGee one more time live-
Just to see Max be able to walk again, he did so much for veterans, I'd like to do something for him

squirrel bait
01-21-2005, 21:55
Alive- any of my brothers/sisters or all of them.
Dead- Izzak Walton

weary
01-21-2005, 22:11
Alive- any of my brothers/sisters or all of them.
Dead- Izzak Walton
Ply Izzak with a bit of scotch and he might even tell you who wrote that fishin book he gets credit for writing.

ed bell
01-21-2005, 22:19
Alive- (wife Gutsy is first, but for topic sake I'll choose a well known person.) Colin Fletcher. We could enjoy our heavy packs together. I know he is a little old for a thru considering the accident he had recently, but one of my favorite backpackers.
Dead- Martin Luther, a great man who changed the course of Christianity.

Papa Razzi
01-21-2005, 22:38
Dead: Warren Zevon. He always had something interesting to say.

Alive: Shatner. I'd hike with William Shatner.

Bolo
01-21-2005, 23:05
I'd hike with Robin Williams...only if he wore a kilt.

And dead, John Lennon, hands down.

Pencil Pusher
01-22-2005, 00:44
Alive: Veronica Zemanova

Dead: Someone that's been dead a really long time or was cremated so I don't have to carry too much.

Mountain Dew
01-22-2005, 04:13
Dead: Either the Disciple Paul/Saul, who was the founder of the early Christian Church. The man went through being stoned, shiprwrecked, and hiking thousands of miles for the soul purpose of spreading the Gospel. He eventually gave his life persuing this cause. OR.... My father who got brain cancer a week after my return home from my 2003 thru-hike and passed away July 7 2004. It wasn't till after his death that I found a picture of him hiking in his younger days with his uncle who was a hermit near Silver City, N.M.

Alive: My mother in her younger days. Athletic, sweet, AND loves adventure.

rocket04
01-22-2005, 11:19
Dead: One that I would pick is Kahlil Gibran. His writing has always struck a special chord with me. (And everyone is familiar with one of his most famous quotes, though you may not know it.) What's the quote?

The Old Fhart
01-22-2005, 12:16
Kahlil Gibran-"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don't, they never were..."

Lone Wolf
01-22-2005, 13:06
How corny is that? :D

The Old Fhart
01-22-2005, 13:27
LW-"How corny is that?" I saw a take-off on that quote in either SOF magazine or the Shotgun News that might be more to your liking. It goes: "If you love something, let it go, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it." :D

Lone Wolf
01-22-2005, 13:29
Sound like my buddy Ted Nugent.

DMA, 2000
01-22-2005, 15:49
Living: Gotta be safe and say that I'd want the wife along. Actually, a good choice, as she's game for anything and is a Physical Therapist as well. On the other hand, she doesn't like it when I start to stink.

Dead: Crash 1960. That way he could finish his thru.

Icicle
01-22-2005, 17:48
Dead: my Dad...even though he was never into hiking and was not very healthy in his last 20 years...definitely my Daddy...:)

Alive: B.K.S. Iyengar....after all at 86 years old and the founder of my method of yoga....he would be the obvious choice! Still does headstand for an hour a day!

(thus my self given trail name of YogaMad!)

chris
01-23-2005, 13:43
Dead: Probably Buddha, but technically Buddha isn't dead. So Ed Abbey instead.

Alive: This depends on the trip but, under various scenarious, I'd like to hike with everyone's favorite Top at some point. I'd also like to get together with Blue Jay, Weary, R&R, SmokyMountainSteve, and TJ for a big group hike. At least conversation won't lag. For a long thruhike, I'd like to hike with Birdie again. She really is the best hiking partner I've ever been around, but one of the reasons is that we don't do much hiking (during most of the day) together.

Lilred
01-23-2005, 15:51
I saw a take-off on that quote in either SOF magazine or the Shotgun News that might be more to your liking. It goes: "If you love something, let it go, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it." :D

Another take off on that quote "If you love something, let it go. If it refuses to leave, sits on your couch eating all your food and controlling the remote, you either married it or gave birth to it."

SavageLlama
01-23-2005, 17:53
Good thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
The best two answers I've seen so far have been Earl Shaffer and John Muir. However, I see this from a slightly different perspective..

Alive: Halle Berry

Dead: Halle Berry again (you see, we'd both be dead after my girlfriend found out I took her on that first thru-hike)

walkin' wally
01-23-2005, 18:52
Alive; My Wife

In Spirit; My Father

PecosBackpacker
01-23-2005, 19:08
I'd hike with Robin Williams...only if he wore a kilt.

You took my selectionhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Living: Jimmy Page. I'm sure he would provide endless entertainment
Deceased: Voltaire. I would like to pick his brain a little bit.

Panama Red
01-24-2005, 19:13
an old friend from years ago who stubbornly declined an offen which would be in the best interest just to spend the timewith again and probalby brawny

whitedove
01-24-2005, 21:01
Good thread and some great choices!

Dead- Crazy Horse, Sacajawea, Tecumseh..many more I would love to know and learn from during a hike.

Alive- My kids are awesome hiking partners and there is a friend or two whom I would like to hike with. Famous though hard choice...lets see next to Johnny Depp :cool: maybe Jackie Chan or even Steve Erwin for the laughs.

Tractor
01-24-2005, 21:16
Edward Abbey

Bob Peoples, but he'd never do it would he, so, Jimmy Buffett

mdionne
01-24-2005, 22:36
hikers: alive - nean
dead - papa squat

nonhikers: alive - my dad
dead - my grandfather

Lilred
01-24-2005, 22:36
Ok, I'll throw in my hat.

Dead: Daniel Boone, since he was one of the first white men to cross the appalachians, figure he could teach me a thing or two. (no surprise, he's one of my hero's, hence the signature.)

Alive: my best friend, Mike. He's a great conversationalist and I rarely ever get to spend time with him since he's on the other side of the continent.

UCONNMike
01-24-2005, 23:08
Alive: Mr. RITBlake, my hiking partner for the past few years, and general adventure companion for many years before that. We are on the same wave length and he has an uncany ability to get my going (ie laughing uncontrolably) I can't wait to hit the full AT with Blake this summer.

Dead (animal): My dog Whiskey, who left this earth far to early. (Blake will atest to how awesome Whiskey was) If there was one thing i was looking foward to, was her poking her nose into my Hammock to wake me up when my parents would come to visit me at various locations on the AT.

Dead (person): Hmm...this is a tough one, I guess it would be Ted Williams. He was the greatest hitter of all time, and from what I've read a really cool guy that could talk baseball for hours on end. I thought i would have a cooler guy, but all the people i was thinking of were still alive, whihc i guess is a good thing

skeeterfeeder
01-25-2005, 21:18
To rocket04:
Kahlil Gibran wrote (long before John Kennedy's speechwriter pledgerized it)
to his fellow Lebanese countrymen, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country."
He also wrote, 'The Prophet, Broken Wings, Mirrors of the Soul,' to name a few of my favortie books.

Groucho
01-25-2005, 21:52
[QUOTE=skeeterfeeder]"Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country."
QUOTE]

I was wondering just a few days ago who said that first; couldn't remember and couldn't find it in reference. Do you know who originated "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"?

SGT Rock
01-25-2005, 21:55
Wasn't that Roosevelt?

grandview
01-25-2005, 22:03
Wasn't that Roosevelt?yeah FDR..................

Groucho
01-25-2005, 22:05
Wasn't that Roosevelt?

Nope, he got it from someone else.

grandview
01-25-2005, 22:17
Nope, he got it from someone else.
are you trying to play trivial pursuit

rocket04
01-25-2005, 23:59
To rocket04:
Kahlil Gibran wrote (long before John Kennedy's speechwriter pledgerized it)
to his fellow Lebanese countrymen, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country."
He also wrote, 'The Prophet, Broken Wings, Mirrors of the Soul,' to name a few of my favortie books. Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I am familiar with Gibran, I read The Prophet when I was 14 and to this day it remains the best book I've ever read (and I read a lot).

greenman
03-28-2005, 20:23
alive:probably mt.dew,but he would be to scared to hike the pct,so thats no good!

dead:papasquat!nuff said!
mairnt!!!!!!!!!!1

Mags
03-28-2005, 20:32
ALIVE: My buddy Tim has done the last week on both the AT and the PCT w/ me. We went to the same Catholic elementary school and worked in the same hospital during highschool and college years. He also was there for my first backpacking trip.

DECEASED: Two choices. My late grandfather. I did not really know him too well as "Domenic". Would love to have heard stories and such that only seem to come out well in the relaxed environment of the woods.

My grandfther's uncle: He was a ranger in the Appenine mountains that surround the village where my family came from. Saw a picture of him in his uniform. He passed away in the late 1960s. Lesse..somewhat short, broad shouldered, stocky build, loves to be in the mountains. Last name is Magnanti. I think Ughetto (Ugo) and I may have something in common. :-?

One Leg
03-28-2005, 21:10
Alive: My son, Tyler (best hiking partner ever); Bill Irwin; Lane Milliken; Model T; Jaybird; Sgt.Rock; Baltimore Jack; Lone Wolf

Dead: Rich Mullins; My brother Barry; Best Friend Franklin; Grandfather

SGT Rock
03-28-2005, 21:12
Hey One Leg, you have got to hike with some of those people ;)

Happypappy
03-28-2005, 21:16
Very interesting thread, but a tough choice as I always solo.
However, I would love the chance to hike and spend time with my great-grandfather, an Iriquois man. I have heard many stories of him, and really wish I could have known him.

As for alive, who knows, perhaps hit the trail and wait for someone to come along.

One Leg
03-28-2005, 21:18
Hey One Leg, you have got to hike with some of those people ;)

That's right, Rock, and I'd still go with any of them again in a heartbeat.

FFTorched
03-28-2005, 21:19
Dead: Cactus Ed of course, he's a freakin' genius but I don't think I could talk him into leaving the desert.

Alive: Miranda Lambert: She hot, she blonde, and she's into outdoors. (Man they grow 'em good in Texas)

Stoker53
03-28-2005, 21:36
Dead - Merriweather Lewis or William Clark...makes no difference which

Alive - My dad

a pitts
03-29-2005, 11:23
OK THIS IS MY FIRST THREAD EVER,I'VE BEEN A SPECTATOR FOR MORE THEN I CAN STAND NOW BUT IM GONNA SEE HOW THIS THANG WORKS....DEAD..IT WOULD BE SOME GOOD SPIRITED SEASONED NATIVE AMERICAN TO SHOW ME ALL EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL PLANTS, THE ART OF FIRE MAKING AND TRACKING TO NAME A FEW THIS WOULD CUT OUT HICHING TRIPS TO TOWN AND WEIGHT ON MY BACK. DO NOT THINK IT WOULD IMPACT MY FIRST AID KIT AS DUCT TAPE AND SUPER GLUE AND BENADRIL DON'T ADD UP TO SO MUCH....ALIVE..WELL THATS A EASY ONE ..JESUS WOULD BE MY FIRST PICK THEN MY WIFE NEXT..AND MAYBE A BOOK TO HELP ON MY SPELLING AND GRAMMER :rolleyes: .

grammar, not grammer:mad:

foodbag
03-29-2005, 11:44
Dead: Abraham Lincoln.

Alive: Sir Edmund Hillary.

MOWGLI
03-29-2005, 11:52
grammar, not grammer:mad:

Look at the first time posters dukeing it out! :banana

One Leg
03-29-2005, 11:56
Look at the first time posters dukeing it out! :banana

Is it "dukeing" or "duking"? (Sorry, I couldn't resist, LOL-!!!)

MOWGLI
03-29-2005, 12:02
Is it "dukeing" or "duking"? (Sorry, I couldn't resist, LOL-!!!)

Thems fightin' words. :D

smokymtnsteve
03-29-2005, 12:03
shame on U jeffery wanting to hit a poor ole one-legged man ;)

One Leg
03-29-2005, 12:13
Thems fightin' words. :D
"Thems" or "Them's" or "Those"? Ok, I'm through, I just couldn't resist the cheap shot :banana

smokymtnsteve
03-29-2005, 12:20
"Thems" or "Them's" or "Those"? Ok, I'm through, I just couldn't resist the cheap shot :banana

actually the southern vernacular and the correct statement is

dem dar's B fightin wards son!

One Leg
03-29-2005, 12:35
actually the southern vernacular and the correct statement is

dem dar's B fightin wards son!

;) Stop eggin' me on, Steve, I said I was through. ;)

Mags
03-29-2005, 12:39
Dead: Cactus Ed of course, he's a freakin' genius but I don't think I could talk him into leaving the desert.

)

Don't think so? Read this book. Even AT related! :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0884860124/104-3778624-2079951

Great pics, wonderful text

Has a wondeful quote from that book too basically saying how going slower increases distance. Alas, the book is at home, and I can't remember the q uote verbatim. Steve, what is the quote? I can't find it via google! I figure you may know it. :)

Mala
03-29-2005, 15:46
I Would Hike With Pirate. He Knows More About The At Than Anybody. He Also Has More Miles Hiking The Trail Than Anybody Alive. A True Blue Blazer. Nobody Could Ask For A Better Hiking Partner...

Lone Wolf
03-29-2005, 15:49
That's the funniest BS I've heard in a long time. :D

Jester2000
03-29-2005, 21:17
Living: Gotta be safe and say that I'd want the wife along. Actually, a good choice, as she's game for anything and is a Physical Therapist as well. On the other hand, she doesn't like it when I start to stink.

Dead: Crash 1960. That way he could finish his thru.

DMA -- just so you know, I hiked with Crash after he died, and he did finish.

Jester2000
03-29-2005, 21:28
But to answer the question --

alive: Jack and Funkee. oooh, wait -- Emma, just to piss off Jack. No, Jack and Funkee. I'll stick with that.

dead: the Big Fella, Michael Collins.

Jack -- if you can manage to get Coulter on the trail, please do. That way I won't have to see or hear her for a couple of months.

bobtomaskovic
03-30-2005, 02:26
alive:George W Bush anything to get him out of the Whitehouse before he screws something else up.

Mountain Dew
03-30-2005, 02:36
Al Gore....afterall he did invent the A.T. and hiking.

Bill Clinton, anything to keep him from having another Vince Foster killed or from making important decisions while fooling around with an intern. :clap

Alls fair love and WB :sun

Teatime
03-30-2005, 07:47
Family Alive: Skyblue (my 5 year old son's trailname), my wife
Friends Alive: Dave Wagner, an old Air Force buddy I haven't seen since 1989 and hope he is still alive. One of my closest friends ever.
Religious: Jesus, St. Francis of Assisi, The Blessed Virgin Mary, Pope John Paul II (a devout hiker in his younger days)

"ME & U"
03-30-2005, 16:41
I recently had the pleasure of making the aquaintence of Baltimore Jack and Scott Rogers during Scott' thru hike attempt last season on the Bigelow range. A couple of real jokesters, especially around the area of being handicapped if there is such a thing after meeting Scott. He's pictured in the June issue of Backpacker mag for a bio.

This cat dragged a 14 pound chunk of metal and plastic he called a leg, a hydraulic fluid battery charger that you can read about, and his buddy Baltimore into the woods for a cool time I'm sure!
When we met, it was 10 am, Baltimore had some Jack for a snack and a smoke while Scott was working on some way out there funky new hiking techniques that none of us that haven't hiked with him have ever seen. How the hell this dude ever got up Bigelow or any other mountain on the AT is beyond me!
I had the pleaure of shacking up at Baltimore's site in hanover during my 2003 thru so it was nice to finally meet with him.

With all that said... I'd like to hike with these two guys. "Alive or dead" it doesn' matter.

"ME & U"
03-30-2005, 16:46
ahhh, truth is i don't go anywhere without my hiking partner "ME" and the spirit of my bud Arthur aka. Zig Zag (R.I.P bro!)

Mountain Dew
03-30-2005, 16:51
Now that you have hiked with Baltimore Jack and
One Leg Scott Rogers how does it feel to hike with a guy as handicapped as Baltimore Jack ? lol :p

"ME & U"
03-30-2005, 17:06
Now that you have hiked with Baltimore Jack and
One Leg Scott Rogers how does it feel to hike with a guy as handicapped as Baltimore Jack ? lol :p Ha! no pun intended here Baltimore, but I think I might have added a bit of bread with my blood of your christ for a morning snack:jump
hey man, to each his own! It was a thrill to be near such legends and great guys ta boot.
The one thing I learned from the encounter was that Baltimore Jack has the heart of a Saint and that nothing is impossible! Thanks for that Scott!
p.s. keep hiking if you still are!

Ender
03-30-2005, 18:04
OoooooKay...

Not in the ground: The Dali Lama, Bill Waterson, Jimmy Carter, Clinton, Bush, various friends and fam...

Rot in the ground: Ayne Rand, Earl Schaffer, John Muir, Buddha, Sun Tzu, St Francis, Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, various friends and fam...

superman
03-31-2005, 09:37
Well.... this time I choose to hike with "Tex" for a month. I'm flying down to New Mexico on 2 April to start the CDT with Tex. I hiked with him for a bit on the AT and PCT. He's a tall, quiet, unassuming man that wouldn't say "poopies" if he had a mouth full. He's knowledgeable and detail oriented. Basically we are opposites and he either doesn't mind my rants or he wears earplugs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Next I will choose to hike the COHOS trail with Pat from Maine and Winter.

minnesotasmith
03-31-2005, 12:57
There are two particular women I came very close to marrying, but did not. (One was because she died suddenly while I was out of town working.) I've often wondered how my life would been different had I stayed with either of them; I'd give a lot for the chance to talk with either of them to ask them questions to find out just how that probably would have gone. Hiking and camping with one of them would have been the perfect way to have a long, unpressured conversation (not all in words) to have found that out...

Sly
04-03-2005, 23:53
All right, I was gonna wait awhile. But since you asked:

Alive: I dunno. Maybe Ann Coulter. She looks like she could do the miles,
we agree on a lot of things, and it's about time I started seeing some-
one approximately my own age.

Ann Coulter?

Yeah, and we can change your trailname to Wacko Jacko! :datz

weary
04-04-2005, 08:09
[QUOTE=skeeterfeeder]Do you know who originated "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"?
I believe it was Henry David Thoreau. Well, before someone accuses me of making this up, on September 7, 1851, Henry David Thoreau wrote in his journal, "Nothing is so much to be feared as fear."

I think it was in an E. B. White essay that I first heard the suggestion that Roosevelt borrowed his famous inaugural address statement from Henry.

Weary