PDA

View Full Version : Best Portable GPS Device?

Cool Hands
04-15-2011, 00:42
My parents are offering to purchase a portable GPS device for me relatively soon, which would be great because I love planning closely, observing geography, mapping routes, checking out nearby points of interest and finding natural features, and knowing exactly where I am at a given time. Since I'm deciding which one to get, my question is what, in your opinion, would be the "best" GPS device at a reasonable price? I'm noticing the Garmin 60CSx and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60, in particular, have the best amazon reviews for the most recent models, and people seem to be very satisfied with them. Between accuracy, memory, software, battery, and graphics, I'm mostly looking for the best model overall -- one which will last me for a while.

fredmugs
04-15-2011, 11:20
I bought a top of the line Magellan so that be beyond your reasonable price criteria. I did notice, however, the DeLorme offers a $29.95 deal for lifetime maps so I would definitely check into that. The reason I did not go with a Garmin was the cost of the maps. My Magellan comes with Summit Series maps and the PCT and AT are already on them. Plus I can use it for walking, biking, driving, hiking, etc.

Make sure you can import and export GPX files. I know some of the cheaper models cannot do this.

Slosteppin
04-21-2011, 19:50
My choice would be the PN-60. I bought the PN-20 when it was first offered. I bought the PN-40 when first offered. I haven't bought the PN-60 because I'm scheduled for surgery in two months which will delay my hiking for nearly six months.

The DeLorme map service is $29.95 per year to download all the maps you want. I frequently use both color aerial photo maps and topo quadrangle maps. That feature alone is worth staying with DeLorme.

I have had four Garmins over the years. They are great for dependability but (IMO) not nearly as good for maps. I have downloaded both Garmin and Delorme tracks to my Topo USA program

XrayDuke
04-21-2011, 21:18
I have the PN-40 and have been very pleased with it. The downloadable maps for $29.99 a year is great.

LDog
04-21-2011, 21:48
I've been using a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX with Topo maps for some time. I just picked up a Garmin Foretrex 301. It has no mapping - Just a basic GPS with the sensitive receiver so it'll work better in the trees. But! It's tiny and only weighs 2.6 ozs! Now, there are those who would say that's 2.6 ozs too much. But, if you want/need a GPS, and you don't need a mapping unit, this is a good un.

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2011, 22:01
Best GPS? your brain. No kidding.

Fredt4
04-21-2011, 23:00
Droid phone, 2.2 os, works great.

JaxHiker
04-27-2011, 11:25
I think you'll find the 60Csx to be extremely well received in the outdoor community.

bfayer
04-27-2011, 19:34
I have a 60cs (not the X) that I love, but it is a little large for backpacking. I love it when I am around water because it floats, so for rafting or kayaking it is great. I have used it for backpacking but the size gets old.

I now have a Dakota 20 that is just right for backpacking and day hiking, although it does not float.

If you can deal with the size and need one that floats the 60csx is a great choice. If you want lighter and smaller the Dakota 20 is what I would recommend.

Wise Old Owl
04-27-2011, 19:42
Well I wasn't trying to be rude - but I am so focused on Garmin and have spent enough time to crack some of the back data and codes. Like loading the AT centerline and parking lots. I am sure it can be done with Magellen, but the claim to fame and selling off the shelves is ones that are compatible with the new Spot. Smart Phones with snap on deep batteries and Spot is the new realm. keep tuned to Spot & Backpacker Mag - it's not over yet.

karo
04-27-2011, 21:09
I like my Garmin 60Csx and use gpsfiledepot for any maps.

JaxHiker
04-27-2011, 23:38
keep tuned to Spot & Backpacker Mag - it's not over yet.
My friends are leaving Sat to sail from Florida to Italy and numerous other stops. One of them is taking the Spot Communicator. He's actually been beta testing it and has seen some of his suggestions implemented. I'm going to be watching it closely and I'm curious to see how well it works. They'll be gone until Aug or Sept so they should have plenty of opportunity to exercise it. It's not as bulky as the Spot itself but as a hiker I still wish it were smaller. I weighed it at 4.9 oz.

bfayer
04-28-2011, 05:46
I like my Garmin 60Csx and use gpsfiledepot for any maps.

+1 I recommend jbensman's my trails. It is a transparent overlay for whatever maps you have loaded, and includes trail center lines for a good part of the country. On top of that he is continually updating it.

jerseydave
04-28-2011, 06:07
i like my garmin 60csx and use gpsfiledepot for any maps.

+1...........

karo
04-28-2011, 11:58
I had a Geko 201, (the grand daughter plays with it now so no one knows where it is) and it was not very useful except for out and back tracking. The battery life was not very good either but it did use AAA batteries like my headlamp. The 60Csx has better battery life and mapping which is very useful, plus I have the AT and other trails on it. And now with the new models out, you can find it for around $200.

One Half
04-28-2011, 12:14
Best GPS? your brain. No kidding.

+1

my thoughts exactly

So There I Was
05-30-2011, 06:40
This is what I have been looking for. The reviews online are from a lot of Geocache folks...I have narrowed my choices down to the Delorme Pn-60, Garmin 60Csx, and the Garmin 62S (upgrade to the 60CSX).
Do I really need a high speed GPS to hike the AT? Does the trail show up on any of the maps used by various recievers? I am pretty handy with a map, protractor, and compass.

10-K
05-30-2011, 07:22
This is what I have been looking for. The reviews online are from a lot of Geocache folks...I have narrowed my choices down to the Delorme Pn-60, Garmin 60Csx, and the Garmin 62S (upgrade to the 60CSX).
Do I really need a high speed GPS to hike the AT? Does the trail show up on any of the maps used by various recievers? I am pretty handy with a map, protractor, and compass.

Just to reiterate you don't really need a GPS (or protractor) anywhere on the AT. Map and compass are optional for some and a must have for others.

If money is an issue consider spending the money you would on a a GPS on getting a lighter tent, pack, or sleeping bag.

So There I Was
05-30-2011, 07:45
Thanks...Money isn't an issue...At this point I am trying to fill in all my guesses and unknowns. What GPS, if needed, was a one of them. Most all of my hiking expierence to date has been forces marches with ruck. I learning the two are a little different.

10-K
05-30-2011, 07:53
Thanks...Money isn't an issue...At this point I am trying to fill in all my guesses and unknowns. What GPS, if needed, was a one of them. Most all of my hiking expierence to date has been forces marches with ruck. I learning the two are a little different.

The only reason that would make sense to bring a GPS on the AT would be to learn how to use one. It'd be great for that but once you figured out how to use it you'd put it away and never use it again (on the AT) most likely.

So There I Was
05-30-2011, 08:50
Thanks for the info...I hope somewhere along the way the original poster got his answer also...

Jaybird
12-30-2013, 13:47
does anyone know if the TOM TOM Multi-Sport have APPALACHIAN Trail mapped on it???

fiddlehead
12-30-2013, 14:07
+1

my thoughts exactly

I'd love to watch you two finding your way in a whiteout. (like we had to in the Pyrenees 10 years ago)
Or, a driving snowstorm (with a foot already on the ground, like I had in WY in 2002)
Or, finding a gas station in Issan (northeastern Thailand) where the locals don't even speak Thai, let alone English
Or bushwhacking the Bitteroots where all the hoodoos look the same.
Or kayaking the Grand Canyon and fighting darkness, and the rapids, and the slowpokes in your group and chosing the best campsite.
Or...............well, that thing has saved my butt many many times over. (try driving through Bangkok from one end to the other without one)

GPS can save the day!
Brain can get confused!
It happens.
Believe it.

Shutterbug
12-30-2013, 14:26
My parents are offering to purchase a portable GPS device for me relatively soon, which would be great because I love planning closely, observing geography, mapping routes, checking out nearby points of interest and finding natural features, and knowing exactly where I am at a given time. Since I'm deciding which one to get, my question is what, in your opinion, would be the "best" GPS device at a reasonable price? I'm noticing the Garmin 60CSx and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60, in particular, have the best amazon reviews for the most recent models, and people seem to be very satisfied with them. Between accuracy, memory, software, battery, and graphics, I'm mostly looking for the best model overall -- one which will last me for a while.

You said that you are looking for "the best model overall." The only way to answer that question is to carefully consider what you will use it for. I have both units from Garmin and DeLorme.

The one I use the most is the Garmin Fenix, GPS watch. It does everything larger gps units do, but has two drawbacks: 1)The display is very small and 2)The battery must be recharged often.

When driving, I use my iPhone. It is much more user friendly than pure GPS units. I would argue that if you have a smart phone, you don't need a separate GPS unless you do backcountry hiking in areas without cell coverage.

When I travel outside the U.S. or hike in the back country, I use my iPhone paired with a DeLorme InReach. My iPhone has a better display than any of the hand held GPS units. The DeLorme InReach provides the GPS data and two way text communication.

Odd Man Out
12-30-2013, 15:14
I'd love to watch you two finding your way in a whiteout. (like we had to in the Pyrenees 10 years ago)
Or, a driving snowstorm (with a foot already on the ground, like I had in WY in 2002)
Or, finding a gas station in Issan (northeastern Thailand) where the locals don't even speak Thai, let alone English
Or bushwhacking the Bitteroots where all the hoodoos look the same.
Or kayaking the Grand Canyon and fighting darkness, and the rapids, and the slowpokes in your group and chosing the best campsite.
Or...............well, that thing has saved my butt many many times over. (try driving through Bangkok from one end to the other without one)

GPS can save the day!
Brain can get confused!
It happens.
Believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIakZtDmMgo

lilricky
12-31-2013, 10:13
The only reason that would make sense to bring a GPS on the AT would be to learn how to use one. It'd be great for that but once you figured out how to use it you'd put it away and never use it again (on the AT) most likely.
Actually, with the note function of waypoints you can copy Data books or Trail guides for each shelter/water source/town/shuttle phone numbers/etc. That way you have all that info at your fingertips without having to lug a book or stacks of paper with you on your hike. Also, its nice being able to figure out where the nearest AYCE restaurants are! :) I would definitely recommend a Garmin handheld, Magellan and Delorme(with the exception of the InReach, which isn't a standalone GPS) just aren't putting anything new out and aren't bothering with new firmware updates for their current handhelds like Garmin is. I use a Garmin Dakota 20 which has a touchscreen and is under 5 ounces with batteries. Another lightweight one would be the Garmin Etrex 20, its not a touchscreen, but makes up for it with GLONASS support and a bigger internal memory. And speaking of memory, both GPS's have microSD slots to expand their capabilities.

Alligator
12-31-2013, 11:29
Thread is a year and a half old. I am going to copy Jaybirds post into a new thread and close this one as the OP probably made a decision by now. The thread is a little disjointed due to the time lapse, but feel free to go ahead and start a new thread if you would like to split off the conversation.