PDA

View Full Version : Trail running near Boone, Spruce Pine, Roan Mtn and Grandfather Mtn area?

danstoner
04-15-2011, 10:45
I'm considering a trip to this area of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia in August.

I'm looking for some good hard trail running. It seems that most of the state park nature trails are short (mostly under 2 miles) so I might give the Appalachian Trail a go.

It would be nice to find a trail section above 3000 feet, highly runnable but with some technical sections, lots of elevation change, etc. I would probably start at a parking area and do an out-and-back to get in 10-20 miles.

Any suggestions for this kind of activity?

erichkopp
04-15-2011, 13:56
A little off topic, but does Gainesville have a decent amount of trail runners? I lived there for six months and figured, with all the trails in the area, there would be a lot but only saw a few other people out on the trails while I was there.

I've been to Boone and all the hiking trails I found were short like you mentioned. The AT isn't very far, though. Def worth hitting.

jbwood5
04-15-2011, 14:43
Several years back we used to run at Moses Cone Park, from the base at the lake, to the firetower and back for a decent quick up and down (I'd guess 10 miles RT?). These were old carrage trails and before they graded and maintained them (especially up to the tower) it was rough and rocky. The last time I ran it, they had graded it and made it like a cinder track. There is water about half way up at a visitor, gift center which is off the Blue Ridge Parkway IIRC.
You might be looking for more technical terrain, but this run will give you a good workout and allow you some decent leg turnover. I think it is 20-30 minutes out from Boone. It is a very nice park and there are other routes as well like Rich Mountain which is a spiral climb around a small mountain.

Lone Wolf
04-15-2011, 14:45
I'm considering a trip to this area of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia in August.

I'm looking for some good hard trail running. It seems that most of the state park nature trails are short (mostly under 2 miles) so I might give the Appalachian Trail a go.

It would be nice to find a trail section above 3000 feet, highly runnable but with some technical sections, lots of elevation change, etc. I would probably start at a parking area and do an out-and-back to get in 10-20 miles.

Any suggestions for this kind of activity?

come to damascus. 40 miles from boone. we have exactly what you're looking for

jbwood5
04-15-2011, 14:51
If this link works, print it out.
Start at the Bass Lake entrance and head up to the manor house where there is a water fountain. Then continue up the trail and go under the Parkway underpass on the trail and head up to Flat Top Mountain firetower.
This is one of the best running trails near Boone and I believe Appalachian University X-Country trains there from time to time.

http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps/moses-cone-carriage-trails.pdf

weatherwimp
04-15-2011, 15:13
If you get a chance try out South Mountains State Park. It has over 40 miles of trails, an 18 mile loop that mountain bikers use, but could also be used for trail running. It is located 18 miles south of Morganton. It is one of the states most rugged parks. We hiked 14 miles one Saturday and did not see a soul until we got back to the parking lot.

Tennessee Viking
04-15-2011, 15:55
The MST mountain section will probably be a good workout. I know this isn't in your desired area, but the MST around Falls Lake just had a 30 mile organized out&back run last weekend.

danstoner
04-17-2011, 21:29
A little off topic, but does Gainesville have a decent amount of trail runners? I lived there for six months and figured, with all the trails in the area, there would be a lot but only saw a few other people out on the trails while I was there.

I always see other trail runners when I go to San Felasco Hammock Preserve.

Grits
04-18-2011, 18:42
this link is of cone park an the Mtns to sea trail connects going west from Rich Mtn http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps...age-trails.pdf (http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps/moses-cone-carriage-trails.pdf) to the Boones Fork Loop http://www.milestonepress.com/html/heritage_sample.pdf then on the west side of Boones fork follow the Mtns to sea trail/ tanawha trail will across Grandfather mtn to Beacon Heights will give you around 55 to 60 miles of trails and carrage roads and elevations from around 3500ft to 4500 ft. Carriage trails great for running and trails clearly marked, creek crossings roots and rocks. It is 5 miles from Bass lake to the fire tower and a total of about 26 miles of those carriage trails. Have fun. :banana