PDA

View Full Version : Who wears a kilt when hiking?

Buffalo Skipper
04-15-2011, 11:33
How many of you like to wear a hiking kilt when you are out in the piney woods? I am interested to know who is wearing them and who has tried them but is not wearing them?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Stir Fry
04-15-2011, 14:45
Got one for christmas and plan on trying it on my upcoming sectiom hike, Neels to Newfound gap. I'll try to look this and let you know how it goes.

sbhikes
04-15-2011, 14:57
I wore a skirt on the JMT and thought it was great. I think a kilt would work out awesome for the So Cal portion of the PCT (no mosquitoes). Unfortunately, I wore my kilt on a few local hikes and our local trails are not in the same kind of condition as the PCT. I got some really bad poison oak (despite my expert skills in being able to identify it) and pretty scraped up.

Raul Perez
04-15-2011, 16:06
I use a kilt and love it. Ventilation and I don't feel restricted when I step over blow downs like I did when I wore shorts. I don't go commando I use UA long compression briefs to minimize thigh chafe (I have a problem with chaffing).

You have to be really secure in your manhood to pull it off. You will get mixed looks.

Penguin
04-15-2011, 16:08
I've seen many dudes where skirts while hiking, but only one with a kilt. So sad that plain borrowing beige has taken over trail wear. Guys need to sport some plaid out there if there going for the kilt. Plaid rocks. And yes lots of the ladies wear skirts while hiking so kilts would seem to work fine. The increase in ventilation would really seem to be a benefit. As far as mosquitos go. The skirt wearing hikers I asked say that the mosquitos don't fly up. I guess the movement of the fabric and stuff scares them away.

Personally I love Umbros for hiking, but they are getting hard to find in the right colors, the other day all I could find on e-bay where either black or red. Two colors I try to avoid.

Penguin
04-15-2011, 16:10
that's plain boring beige. Spell Auto Correct is my true enemy. and I differentiate skirt from kilt by the color scheme. Plaid with pleats= kilt, any other color (i.e. beige)= skirt

d.o.c
04-15-2011, 16:30
used one from harpers ferry to the start of the 100 mile wilderness not realy sure why i stopd putn it on in the morning i jus wore the lil runner shorts last few days i wore in camp so i could tke the kilt off. anywho i liked it helpd a whole lot in that heat got some strange llooks but wht thats ok

beas
04-15-2011, 16:47
I wear one hiking regularly and also wear them as casual wear. I agree the kilt should have a tartan on it. Not the beige izood looking skirt mountain hardware sells.

Two Tents
04-15-2011, 17:39
I wear a Mountain Hardwear Kilt. I don't really care if anyone likes it. It is comfy. I always look for a skirt in good will or the salavation army I could use as a quilt but no luck so far. I do have some silnylon I plan making into a rain kilt soon.

Mrs Baggins
04-15-2011, 18:52
Not nearly enough men....not nearly enough............ :)

Hooch
04-15-2011, 19:03
I've got a Mountain Hardwear El Kommando Hiking Kilt and love it! It's incredibly airy and comfy. Going wee-wee has never been so easy. :D

WingedMonkey
04-15-2011, 19:15
I've got a Mountain Hardwear El Kommando Hiking Kilt and love it! It's incredibly airy and comfy. Going wee-wee has never been so easy. :D

What about taking a dump?

Hooch
04-15-2011, 19:26
What about taking a dump?
I don't really take it, I just kinda leave it there. :rolleyes::D

Seriously, if I want to poop, I still gotta take my pack off to cop a squat. :(

Smile
04-15-2011, 19:31
Not nearly enough men....not nearly enough............ :)

Thank you SO much for stating this :)

Oh yes, kilts rock.

WingedMonkey
04-15-2011, 19:37
I don't really take it, I just kinda leave it there. :rolleyes::D

Seriously, if I want to poop, I still gotta take my pack off to cop a squat. :(

Do you hold the kilt up or take it off?

Jim Adams
04-15-2011, 23:27
Kilts ROCK!

easy on / easy off...take it off for restroom duties.

geek

rusane
04-16-2011, 09:50
The hiking/sports "kilts" are not really kilts. I'm not passing judgment on people choosing to wear them or not, but they are not kilts. Kilts are made from multiple wraps of heavy wool cloth including a sash over the shoulder and weigh more than some peoples packs. If your hiking the cairngorms you'd be comfortable enough, but Scotish weather isn't 90 and muggy.

(Glaswegian, before you ask)

sbhikes
04-16-2011, 10:42
I'm sorta laughing here but I guess it makes sense that guys wouldn't have a lifetime of experience knowing how to relieve themselves wearing a skirt. Silly guys. You just pull up the skirt in back and hold it around your waist while you squat.

Del Q
04-16-2011, 12:18
Ditto - Ditto

Mountain Hardwear, awesome, 2nd 2-week section hike completed this Spring, really happy - a lot more + and -

Did get some "looks" while in Pearisburg

mlkelley
04-16-2011, 14:12
Although I'm probably not who Mrs. Baggins was thinking of when she posted, I wear one when hiking Freeballin' ROCKS!:banana

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/GoodAT08/l_77e9c74a3bf70bbeb10085d7e44309fc.jpg

Mrs Baggins
04-16-2011, 19:11
Although I'm probably not who Mrs. Baggins was thinking of when she posted, I wear one when hiking Freeballin' ROCKS!:banana

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/GoodAT08/l_77e9c74a3bf70bbeb10085d7e44309fc.jpg

All men look good in kilts. I love kilts. On men. I was very happy in Scotland.

skinewmexico
04-16-2011, 20:11
I wore my MH Mountain Kilt in the Davis Mountains a few weeks ago, in 95 degree weather. It was amazing.

soccrosse
04-16-2011, 21:55
I've been wearing a Sport Kilt for the past 6 years and it is great. It keeps you cool in the summer, warm during the cooler months and during rain storms you don't have issues with water running down you legs into your boots. Once the kilt gets really soaked you simply gather it up and ring it out. I am a bit of a snob since in my mind if it ain't plaid and doesn't have pleats it's simply a skirt. Not that that's bad....

Duff
04-16-2011, 23:44
I'm sorta laughing here but I guess it makes sense that guys wouldn't have a lifetime of experience knowing how to relieve themselves wearing a skirt. Silly guys. You just pull up the skirt in back and hold it around your waist while you squat.

Same lack of education refers to keeping their knees together. It's just way TMI to find out visually that they've also chosen "commando".

KMACK
04-17-2011, 03:45
Sport Kilt here. Thinking about the MH but I fall right between their med and large size and no one sells them around here to try on.

BobM
05-25-2011, 14:14
As far as I'm concerned kilts are the only thing to wear on the trail. I frequent the Shining Rock-Middle Prong-Black Balsam area of Western NC and would not consider wearing anything else. I use a Stillwater (or similar) in the Summer, and medium weight woolies in the winter. I have cracked ice on the trail many times and have never, ever, had a temperature problem. It used to be that I was unique, but over the last ten years or so I have seen the number of males in kilts climb ( ;) ) considerably. It looks like common sense is contagious.

azb
05-25-2011, 14:49
Kilts are brilliant for just about any activity. I've several traditional woolen quilts in my clan's tartan. They work well outdoors, but are heavy and expensive enough that I'm concerned about tearing them up. I recently picked up a Sportkilt hiker. It's light, it's tough, and it's inexpensive. It's only available in one tartan, but I suspect that's not important to most.

Bugs aren't a problem if you apply permathrin to the inside and outside of the kilt.

Az

Red Hat
05-25-2011, 18:59
that's plain boring beige. Spell Auto Correct is my true enemy. and I differentiate skirt from kilt by the color scheme. Plaid with pleats= kilt, any other color (i.e. beige)= skirt

According to the tag on my Mountain Hardwear, it is a kilt. Boring beige, maybe, but the lack of pleats and nonwool, make it much lighter and more hiker friendly. I also have the darker khaki one with pleats too. Love them! Walked GA-ME last year in mine.