PDA

View Full Version : Is there a map/data combo to be found?

lilroo
04-15-2011, 18:08
Last year I hiked part of TN/ NC border and used the official AT Conservancy maps + the Data book. I met several people who had printed off information for their section that included both map (with elevation info) as well as Data (water sources/food resupply/etc). I wish I had written down what it was they had!!!!

Now that I'm planning this year's trip, I can't seem to find any such electronic source. I just downloaded the 2011 Thru Hiker's Companion and am bitterly disappointed about this $8 purchase. Plenty of info but no map. Maybe I'm cheap... it just seems like there has got to be a more efficient way of selling this information. Must I carry a map and book!?!?!?!?

Anyone have any insight?

lilroo
04-15-2011, 18:19
OK, in one last attempt, I looked on Amazon.com and found the "AT Guide" by David Miller. I think this is what I saw people carrying!

Any advice? Do you find this to be just as helpful as the official plastic maps as far as shelters/elevation/water source/resupply goes?

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2011, 18:47
There is no map/guidebook combo. The AT guide has profile sheets on each page of the guidebook. Looks kind of like a map, but it is NOT a map; it's just a profile of elevation gain/loss, period.

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2011, 18:50
Last year I hiked part of TN/ NC border and used the official AT Conservancy maps + the Data book. I met several people who had printed off information for their section that included both map (with elevation info) as well as Data (water sources/food resupply/etc). I wish I had written down what it was they had!!!!

Now that I'm planning this year's trip, I can't seem to find any such electronic source. I just downloaded the 2011 Thru Hiker's Companion and am bitterly disappointed about this $8 purchase. Plenty of info but no map. Maybe I'm cheap... it just seems like there has got to be a more efficient way of selling this information. Must I carry a map and book!?!?!?!?

Anyone have any insight?
That's actually kind of cheap for a guidebook, most cost more than that, not counting the ATC's Databook, which I believe is around $5, but has far less data than all the other guidebooks.

WingedMonkey
04-15-2011, 19:07
Can y'all please stop with this argument? This thread is seriously ruining my enjoyment of WB.

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2011, 19:11
OK, in one last attempt, I looked on Amazon.com and found the "AT Guide" by David Miller. I think this is what I saw people carrying!

Any advice? Do you find this to be just as helpful as the official plastic maps as far as shelters/elevation/water source/resupply goes?
BTW, I just looked at the sample pages on Amazon and the maps on page 202 & 203 http://www.amazon.com/T-Guide-David-Miller/dp/097970815X#reader_097970815X does not constitue as an AT map. Also all guidebooks have maps of various towns, again those are not the same as maps of the AT.

This is leading to a well worn-out debate about the need for separate maps for hiking the AT. I'm on the side of having maps at all times, in addition to an AT guidebook (whichever one, they're all about the same). However, many on here will argue no need for maps, all you need is a guidebook. Your choice, I'll just say that I always carry a map and compass, just in case...

lilroo
04-15-2011, 20:50
John, Thanks for all your help! I in no way meant to start an "argument" :) I suppose I complained a bit, but wow... didn't expect it to come across as argumentative.

Very good point on the side of having a map in addition to the book. I loved my maps last year, I was just misinformed that there was an "all-in-one" out there.

Have a good one and thanks for your time.

WingedMonkey
04-15-2011, 21:25
Can y'all please stop with this argument? This thread is seriously ruining my enjoyment of WB.

You didn't lilroo, it was left over chatter from another thread.

;)

Pedaling Fool
04-16-2011, 08:34
...it was left over chatter from another thread.
It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out

:D

Ashman
04-16-2011, 09:23
It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out

:D

Then it's a new game, FIND THE EYE!

gearfreak
04-19-2011, 13:02
This is what you're looking for: AT-TOPO (http://www.at-topo.com)

lilroo
05-04-2011, 21:55
Thanks guys! I appreciate the comic relief :O) I'm in Alabama where all the tornados came through so just now getting online service - whew! I hope no one was hurt on the trail as all the storms passed through!

10-K
05-04-2011, 22:00
This is what you're looking for: AT-TOPO (http://www.at-topo.com)

What is this anyway?? Is it an application or is it just a set of maps or what?

gearfreak
05-05-2011, 08:46
What is this anyway?? Is it an application or is it just a set of maps or what?

AT-TOPO (http://www.at-topo.com/) is a complete set of annotated topo maps in Adobe PDF format. They provide a visual display of all the information shown in the guide books including distance to towns and services available as well as colored slope indicators for general idea of the trail profile.

Pedaling Fool
05-05-2011, 18:08
There is no map/guidebook combo. The AT guide has profile sheets on each page of the guidebook. Looks kind of like a map, but it is NOT a map; it's just a profile of elevation gain/loss, period.

AT-TOPO (http://www.at-topo.com/) is a complete set of annotated topo maps in Adobe PDF format. They provide a visual display of all the information shown in the guide books including distance to towns and services available as well as colored slope indicators for general idea of the trail profile.
So am I wrong when I said, "There is no map/guidebook combo." :confused:

jima59
05-15-2011, 17:34
So what is your question,,,,,,, no there is no combination,,, that way everyone makes some money.....and you even get one book in the wrong direction and back to front.:banana

10-K
05-15-2011, 18:05

You need a good hiker feed is what you need....

Skid.
05-16-2011, 07:24
The 2009 issue of the Thru-Hikers Guide has a profile map at the bottom of the data-type info pages. I find it very useful for quick reference, but still use the official maps for detailed profiles.