PDA

View Full Version : Week Hike Suggestions

shorembo
04-15-2011, 19:49
I am interested in hiking for a week on the AT this summer (July / August). Where can I get info on a good route to take. I am from Florida so I am thinking North Carolina or Tennessee. Most of the group would be in their 40's with varying degrees of fitness.

Thanks for any info or links to good info.

Montana Mac
04-15-2011, 20:06
I would go up to VA and do the Grayson Highlands and see the wild ponies and great scenery.

This is a link to an easy week hike, especially if you can leave a car at each end.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1128028&postcount=20

steve43
04-17-2011, 07:55
Another section that you may consider is 19E which is just north of Roan Mtn, and hike north to Damascus. The distance is about 75 miles, so you're looking at hiking a little over 10 miles a day for a week's trip. The trail between Wautaga Dam and Damascus I've heard referred to as the "Tennessee Turnpike" because of the big miles hikers can make there ( I know I did). When I hiked this section it took me 5 days. If you get into Damascus early and have a few more days to hike, it would be easy to find a shuttle north, and then hike south into Damascus.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your hike.

fifo

Jaybird
04-17-2011, 08:50
If you can drive a bit farther NORTH...
you can hike with my buds:

"Jigsaw, Just Helen & BumbleBee"

they're hiking SOBO from Atkins, VA back to Damascus, VA in a week...low mileage days to start & big day into town.:sun

shorembo
04-17-2011, 20:24
Thanks for those suggestions....I actually have been to Damascus and biked the rails2trails there.

OutdoorsMan
04-17-2011, 20:26
I recommend Damascus to Dickey Gap. maybe not quite a week (that's 50 miles) but it's a great 5 day hike.

shorembo
04-20-2011, 18:06
Before finding this website, I ordered the NC/TN guidebooks and maps. Any other recommendations between the Smokies and Virginia?