PDA

View Full Version : Jarrads Gap - Neels Gap - Camping closure due to bear activity - April 2011

Rain Man
04-15-2011, 19:52
From the Georgia AT Club today (4-15-11):

"Effective immediately the A.T. between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap is closed to camping. This includes the Woods Hole Shelter, the Blood Mountain Shelter, and the tent pads near the top of Blood Mountain. Dayhiking in this area is still permitted.

"This camping ban has been implemented by the U.S. Forest Service due to safety concerns as a result of increased bear activity in the area. The increase in activity is attributed to improper food storage by backpackers which is causing the bears to become habituated to backpacker-provided food.

"Further details are available at the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA!!/?ss=110803&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=5488&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Alerts&ttype=alerts&pname=Chattahoochee-Oconee%20National%20Forest-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices).

"Shelley Rose, GATC President"

Hikerhead
04-15-2011, 20:13
Long time coming, you think?

Magilla
04-15-2011, 20:16
Just got back today from doing that section. Heard they might do that. I didn't have any trouble but heard from quite a few who did. Some of the bear cables have open hooks on them and the bears just shake the cable until something falls. I used a carabineer on the cables instead of trusting the open hook.

Skidsteer
04-15-2011, 20:21
The increase in activity is attributed to improper food storage by backpackers which is causing the bears to become habituated to backpacker-provided food.

Just got back today from doing that section. Heard they might do that. I didn't have any trouble but heard from quite a few who did. Some of the bear cables have open hooks on them and the bears just shake the cable until something falls. I used a carabineer on the cables instead of trusting the open hook.

So the take-away from this is that bear cables now officially qualify as improper food storage. Good to know.

Hikerhead
04-15-2011, 20:30

Even that won't work with a bear yanking on it. The fabric fails and the goodies fall.

Pedaling Fool
04-16-2011, 09:20
In the link they picture a proper food-hanging system as this http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=fsm9_029306&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110803&position=Not

They seem to be saying that anyother type of hanging is not correct.

Hmmm.....Very interesting:-? How many people actually hang like illustrated in the link? Don't lie now:D

Since these bear(s) seem to be adapting to a large number of food-carrying animals this presents a great opportunity to study different food storage systems, but I'm pretty sure the opportunity will probably be squandered. Too bad would be an interesting study.

Not that I really care since I keep my food safe in my tent.;)

SawnieRobertson
04-16-2011, 09:39
So, does "camping" include using the shelters on Blood Mountain and at Woods Hole? Or is this intended for those who would use campsites around them?--Kinnickinic

Pedaling Fool
04-16-2011, 09:42
From the Georgia AT Club today (4-15-11):

"Effective immediately the A.T. between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap is closed to camping. This includes the Woods Hole Shelter, the Blood Mountain Shelter, and the tent pads near the top of Blood Mountain. Dayhiking in this area is still permitted.

"This camping ban has been implemented by the U.S. Forest Service due to safety concerns as a result of increased bear activity in the area. The increase in activity is attributed to improper food storage by backpackers which is causing the bears to become habituated to backpacker-provided food.

"Further details are available at the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA!!/?ss=110803&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=5488&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Alerts&ttype=alerts&pname=Chattahoochee-Oconee%20National%20Forest-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices).

So, does "camping" include using the shelters on Blood Mountain and at Woods Hole? Or is this intended for those who would use campsites around them?--Kinnickinic
See bold underlined. However, this brings up a second question in my mind. Have hikers had food stolen from a shelter when the food was hanging on the lines at the shelters?

Harrison Bergeron
04-16-2011, 10:13
I don't understand. Why is the solution to remove the hikers from the most popular part of the most popular hiking trail during the height of the hiking season?

Why not remove the bears from the hiking trail during the height of the hiking season? Seems like it would be pretty easy since they know right where to find them – shaking a bear cable on top of Blood Mountain in the middle of the night.

I bet Georgia could even pay for it by holding a lottery to see who gets to be the hunter who shoots the bear with the tranq gun and gets his picture taken with it.

royalusa
04-16-2011, 10:43
What I don't understand is why they decide to just close the A.T. for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap ... the bear(s) are also very active just north of Neels Gap, so what good is just closing (for camping) a portion of the troubled area. Why not close it (for camping) from Jarrard Gap to Testnatee Gap or Hogpen Gap. Isn't the bear just going to go north of Neels to find the hanging food bags now that there are none south of Neels?

Roots
04-16-2011, 10:56
This happens every year. Heightened bear activity between Woody Gap and Tesnatee Gap is nothing new, but it does make for an interesting situation as to where to camp....if you hang your food, that is. ;):)

Phreak
04-16-2011, 11:13
Its ridiculous to shut down sections of the trail. If you can't handle the animal behavior then find another activity - maybe something in the city.

SouthMark
04-16-2011, 11:23
Its ridiculous to shut down sections of the trail. If you can't handle the animal behavior then find another activity - maybe something in the city.

...Ditto...

Ewker
04-16-2011, 11:29
how many people using hammocks have been eaten :rolleyes:

WingedMonkey
04-16-2011, 11:35
how many people using hammocks have been eaten :rolleyes:

Twice as many as using tents.
:p

tigerpaw
04-16-2011, 11:56
I was camping just up the hill/mtn from Mountain crossing last week and met 3 or 4 folks coming back down to re-stock because their food had been taken. I should have asked how and if their food was being stored. I hung our food, PCT-style, and we were fine. I found out that using the "S" biner is not a good idea b/c the para-cord slipped back through the bottom portion and the food bag wouldn't come down. My method was bear-proof and human-proof!!!

Slo-go'en
04-16-2011, 14:30
I just came through there less than a week ago (am now in Franklin) and had no problems nor had heard of any. Guess things can change quickly!

flemdawg1
04-16-2011, 19:27
I went thru there 2 weeks ago. 1 night (april 3rd?) a bear showed up at Wood's Hole Shelter and shook the bear cables and beat the crap out of an Ursack tied to a tree. The next night (4th) @ Blood Mtn Shelter, a bear (same bear?) climbed the trees that folks had hung bear bags on, and was just pulling them up while sitting on the branch. The other hikers shouted and chased him off. They then barricaded the doors to the shelter, brought all the food bags into the front room, barricaded the door to the 2nd room. Overnight the bear climbed in thru the window of the shelter into the 1st room and took all the remaining food. Nothing happened around Cowrock Mtn while I was there, but there were multiple signs warning people to cross Tesanatee Gap before camping.

Razor
04-16-2011, 19:36
Bears were reported going into the Blood Mtn Shelter. This is because of persistent problems with many people leaving food in the shelter. There are no cables there and no good trees to hang. That puts new hikers and those that don't seem to care in danger. This has compounded into a humanized bear that may cause a serious problem that the USFS had to deal with.It is not an easy thing to just remove a bear when we are visiting his home. A period of time may save the bear. It is worth the effort to walk around a 5 mile stretch to try and save him. The hiking community owes it the bear. And while you are hiking try and educate the less experienced hikers to use some food management method. A fed bear, as we all know ,is a dead bear.

Amanita
04-16-2011, 23:03
Could making bear canisters mandatory be sufficient to alleviate the problem? I understand that the bears have become very bold, but bear canisters would at least prevent them from getting at the food.

ChinMusic
04-16-2011, 23:11
Could making bear canisters mandatory be sufficient to alleviate the problem? I understand that the bears have become very bold, but bear canisters would at least prevent them from getting at the food.
It absolutely would be sufficient but bear cables and common sense should be enough. Since many/most folks will not be comfortable with food in their tents, like me.

Where cans are mandatory the bears may kick over a can in hopes the owner didn't put the lid on right, but then just walk on. If they don't get rewarded they don't hang around. They have to earn their living somewhere else.

Jack Tarlin
04-17-2011, 09:11
In this instance, the bear in question has figured out how to get bags off the cables,so no,cables alone are obviously not the solution here.

The Cleaner
04-17-2011, 10:25
This problem is only going to spread with increased numbers of hikers to other areas.Proper food storage is just part of the problem.Due to the fact that some hikers leave trash and leftover meal scraps in firepits thinking it will get burned up in the next fire.Then when it rains the firepit/trashcan overflows.I'd rather see hikers who don't follow LNT removed before removing some bears...

mweinstone
04-17-2011, 10:46
to build a bear deterent you will need:

any size or type dogs(2)
battery megaphone
rawhide bone
duck tape

tape down the mic on the megaphone and tape rawhide bone securly to megaphone.
tease both dogs half to death with bone untill they are in a foaming frenzie.
now stake the bone/megaphone to ground or tree and broadcast the horror.
prevents bear approx 12 hours.repeat when nessesary.

SassyWindsor
04-17-2011, 16:38
The trail sides between Springer and Bly Gap, especially this time of year, have more than a few apple cores. Bears love apples. Hikers will dump food scraps into the bush's, fire pits, or streams, never bury. With all the non-LNT campers along the trail/shelters in Ga this time of year there's no wonder a bear/rodent problem exists.

Pedaling Fool
04-17-2011, 17:53
No one just seems to get it. Bears are taking the opportunity of hundreds of hikers who are carrying food. They are going after food that is hanging. I know what trash at firepits looks like and there maybe little scraps (that's just me giving the benifit of the doubt). The vast majority of trash is non-consumable. How many hikers are actually carrying apples? Again from my experience the vast majority are carrying containerized meals.

How many people here clean out their pots after cooking? What do you do with that water and stuff. Hardly no one drinks it and NO ONE packs out that water which is mixed with stuff like bits of rice, oatmeal, pasta, oil and the list goes on. That stuff is smellables and attracts bears, just the cooking attracts bears. How many cook away from shelters then come to the shelter already have eaten and doesn't eat anymore...hardly no one, including the LNT'ers. And then how many wake up in the morning and not cook anything and hike away from the shelters and eat...LNT'ers, go ahead tell me you do it:rolleyes:

That's what's attracting the bears and they are not going after stuff in firepits, they are going after hanging food. Any one that eats an apple and throws the core out (away from the shelter) is not attracting bears. Now if people are throwing food near shelters, yes that's attracting bears, simply from the shear volume of campers. An apple core thrown out into a random wooded area (away from a shelter) may or may not be consumed by a bear, but that single applecore isn't even a snack. They will not associate it with humans. To them it's just trail magic, in the truest sense of the term since animals spend such a large amount of their time looking for food.

Jelly-Bean
04-17-2011, 18:24
^^^^^^ Totally agreed!

This will make my thru hike plans a little bit more difficult in logistics.

Trailbender
04-17-2011, 18:24
How many miles is that that is off limits?

WingedMonkey
04-17-2011, 18:53
How many miles is that that is off limits?
A whopping 5.4 miles

WingedMonkey
04-17-2011, 19:20
If a hiker has a map and a brain, they can find camping. The forest service states: "Any camping on side trails should take place at least one-quarter mile from the AT."

Hikerhead
04-17-2011, 19:26
No one just seems to get it. Bears are taking the opportunity of hundreds of hikers who are carrying food. They are going after food that is hanging. I know what trash at firepits looks like and there maybe little scraps (that's just me giving the benifit of the doubt). The vast majority of trash is non-consumable. How many hikers are actually carrying apples? Again from my experience the vast majority are carrying containerized meals.

How many people here clean out their pots after cooking? What do you do with that water and stuff. Hardly no one drinks it and NO ONE packs out that water which is mixed with stuff like bits of rice, oatmeal, pasta, oil and the list goes on. That stuff is smellables and attracts bears, just the cooking attracts bears. How many cook away from shelters then come to the shelter already have eaten and doesn't eat anymore...hardly no one, including the LNT'ers. And then how many wake up in the morning and not cook anything and hike away from the shelters and eat...LNT'ers, go ahead tell me you do it:rolleyes:

That's what's attracting the bears and they are not going after stuff in firepits, they are going after hanging food. Any one that eats an apple and throws the core out (away from the shelter) is not attracting bears. Now if people are throwing food near shelters, yes that's attracting bears, simply from the shear volume of campers. An apple core thrown out into a random wooded area (away from a shelter) may or may not be consumed by a bear, but that single applecore isn't even a snack. They will not associate it with humans. To them it's just trail magic, in the truest sense of the term since animals spend such a large amount of their time looking for food.

The last couple of years I've been going stoveless, and hammocking, and eating away from my stealth campsites. Never had any problems with bears, mice, frogs or anything so far.

Praha4
04-17-2011, 20:57
easier solution would be for GATC to install a large bear canister at Woods Hole Shelter, like the one at Seth Warner Shelter on the Long Trail in Vermont. It's a large metal box about the size of a cedar chest, with bearproof locks, for hikers to store their food inside.

WingedMonkey
04-17-2011, 23:10
In this instance, the bear in question has figured out how to get bags off the cables,so no,cables alone are obviously not the solution here.

Looks like a bear smorgasbord to me.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=603012

Trailbender
04-18-2011, 13:24
A whopping 5.4 miles

Cool, thanks, not as big a deal as I thought.

flemdawg1
04-18-2011, 14:04
Looks like a bear smorgasbord to me.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=603012

Yeah there were about 50 people at that shelter that night. I hiked w/ that guy off and on the whole time.

John Klein
04-18-2011, 18:30
The story made tonights 6:00 TV news on Atlanta's 11 Alive. They were interviewng people at Mountain Crossings.

SassyWindsor
04-18-2011, 19:18
......... How many hikers are actually carrying apples? Again from my experience the vast majority are carrying containerized meals.......

Neel's Gap is a great restocking point, you can purchase all sorts of food items at Mtn Crossings. I remember several of us hikers making a food run, as well as eating out, to Helen, Ga where we stocked up on every thing from steaks to Apples. That March was cold, even not, I still buy perishables when available, knowing I'll have to consume sooner rather than later. Lots of other hikers do likewise. I also believe that the bears are attracted by hikers, knowing they equal food source. Some hikers even feed them others just dump scrap food in the bushes/trail-side. Packs are a bonus when they can get at one.

SouthMark
04-18-2011, 20:51
This is possibly the same bear or one he has trained that has roamed from Low Gap Shelter to Blood Mountain for several years stealing food bags. This section was closed to camping several years ago for same reason. Two years ago Pirate told me that he shows up at the dumpster outside Mountain Crossings. While I was there a hiker came in that had had his unattended pack destroyed by a bear at Whitley Gap Shelter. Smarter than the average bear I guess.

ALLEGHENY
04-18-2011, 21:09
I have never had a bear in PA stick around with the sound of gun fire! Maybe Trail runners or responsible gun owners should be permitted to open carry.

vamelungeon
04-18-2011, 21:14
I have never had a bear in PA stick around with the sound of gun fire! Maybe Trail runners or responsible gun owners should be permitted to open carry.
Or just fireworks.

Ashevillian
04-18-2011, 21:23
The story made tonights 6:00 TV news on Atlanta's 11 Alive. They were interviewng people at Mountain Crossings.

It made our news this morning on WLOS, although no link to share, my wife thinks it "is to dangerous for you to be on the trail this time of the year." I said "dear it's like a hundred miles from here." She said "but the news said the bears follow hikers along the trail for food." Oh boy, that's an a argument that I need to win....

WingedMonkey
04-18-2011, 21:23
Since we are talking about 20 or 30 hikers or more at the shelters in the early miles of the AT and bears feeding on over stuffed food bags in the middle of the night, I don't think guns and fireworks are a good solution. By the time it thins out in Pa and hikers know more about food protection, most are wishing the could see a bear while hiking.
Ridge runners work for the ATC, they are not law enforcement and no one is going to arm them.

SawnieRobertson
04-18-2011, 21:41
Maybe if the Rangers could have their war games up in the Low Gap to Jarrad Gap, the bears would move on. But, with the habits they now have so firmly established, then they would simply seek human food elsewhere. I think a tragedy for the bears is inevitable. Am I wrong?--Kinnickinic

ALLEGHENY
04-18-2011, 21:55
Okay: My very close encounter with a bear was on the North Country Trail in Pa. The bear (while I was in my hammock) banged into my knee. hollering and stones did not scare it. I fired my 357 revolver into a stump. He never did come back.

Then was when I learned to hang my food further away and cook and eat before getting to my camping spot. The bear only punctured a hydration hose but scared me to wise up.

tigerpaw
04-18-2011, 22:02
why would someone need to "arm" ridge runners? can't they provide their own? (no sarcasm intended)

WingedMonkey
04-18-2011, 22:18
Okay: My very close encounter with a bear was on the North Country Trail in Pa. The bear (while I was in my hammock) banged into my knee. hollering and stones did not scare it. I fired my 357 revolver into a stump. He never did come back.

Then was when I learned to hang my food further away and cook and eat before getting to my camping spot. The bear only punctured a hydration hose but scared me to wise up.

Big difference in being alone and firing a weapon into a tree stump and being in a shelter area with 30 hikers in tents and shelter and trying that. Someone might shoot back.
Glad you learned better food protection system.

daddytwosticks
04-19-2011, 07:35
Ever since I've been carrying a few low-powered firecrackers, I've never been harassed by bears in camp...maybe they know I'm carrying? :)

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 12:20
Ever since I've been carrying a few low-powered firecrackers, I've never been harassed by bears in camp...maybe they know I'm carrying? :)

Lot smarter (and safer) than carrying an illegal weapon (or a legal weapon illegally).

Rain:sunMan

ALLEGHENY
04-19-2011, 15:22
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
National Park Service
36 CFR Part 2
Fish and Wildlife Service
50 CFR Part 27
RIN 1024–AD70
General Regulations for Areas
Administered by the National Park
Service and the Fish and Wildlife
Service
AGENCIES: Fish and Wildlife Service and
National Park Service, Interior.
ACTION: Final rule.
SUMMARY: This final rulemaking amends
regulations codified in 36 CFR part 2
and 50 CFR part 27, which pertain to
the possession and transportation of
firearms in national park areas and
national wildlife refuges. The final rule
updates these regulations to reflect state
laws authorizing the possession of
concealed firearms, while leaving
unchanged the existing regulatory
provisions that ensure visitor safety and
resource protection such as the
prohibitions on poaching and
limitations on hunting and target
practice.
DATES: This rule becomes effective on
January 9, 2009.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Lyle
Laverty, 202–208–4416.
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 15:27
Lot smarter (and safer) than carrying an illegal weapon (or a legal weapon illegally).

Carrying a weapon is perfectly safe, as long as you are properly trained and skilled in its use. The illegality would be if you carried it through totalitarian states like Massachusetts and Jersey. You can get prison time in those states for carrying a weapon, as they do not recognize the basic rights to self defense.

ALLEGHENY
04-19-2011, 15:44
Let's forget about guns and get back to educating hickers about bears and proper practices out in the wilds.

I only tried to share MY hair raising experiences with one bear.

WingedMonkey
04-19-2011, 16:13
Let's forget about guns and get back to educating hickers about bears and proper practices out in the wilds.

I only tried to share MY hair raising experiences with one bear.

Thank you sir, you are a gentleman.
:sun

ALLEGHENY
04-19-2011, 16:19
Thank you sir, you are a gentleman.
:sun
And knowledgeable!:cool:

ALLEGHENY
04-19-2011, 16:58
Any update on the closing?
More problems,gun play etc....

ALLEGHENY
04-19-2011, 17:02
More problems,gun play ect....
More problems,gun play etc...

John Klein
04-19-2011, 19:39
Hopefully this link will take you to the video.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=187773

Skidsteer
04-19-2011, 20:23

This cracks me up.

U.S. Forest Service authorities say persistent bear activity - and improper food storage by hikers - contributed to the decision.

The hikers are hanging their food on the "official" cables provided at the shelters.

And the bear(s) are stealing it.

Stupid hikers and their improper food storage.

WingedMonkey
04-19-2011, 20:46

That's one damn ugly bear at the end.

:p

SouthMark
04-19-2011, 21:06
The culprit is pet bear trained by Baltimore Jack to destroy hanging food bags. Hikers then have to buy replacement bags and food at Mountain Crossings.

Pedaling Fool
04-19-2011, 21:34
Why now? That part of the AT has seen more hikers, especially back in the early 2000's. We'll probably never know, but it is a curiosity. I know all them hanging bags are just too much for the bear(s) to resist, but haven't they been hanging around the whole decade. I believe this has been a consistent problem for only about 3 years (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

In 2006 I never seen or heard anything about bear problems. And I think I may have saw a sign in 2007, but can't really remember any stories.

SouthMark
04-19-2011, 22:23
This section, to Low Gap I believe, has been closed to camping in the past due to bear activity. Not sure which year but several years ago.

adambl82
04-19-2011, 23:28
I just got home from hiking from Neel's to Amicalola. We camped the first night about a mile south of Jarrard. I hanged our food PCT style on carefully selected branches and had no problem. I did talk to a guy that stayed at Jarrard that night and he said a few food bags were stolen. We walked through the tent city and I noticed a few bags that weren't hung so well in my opinion. Other than that, I never saw any sign of bears the whole trip.

Sir-Packs-Alot
04-20-2011, 12:28
In the link they picture a proper food-hanging system as this http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=fsm9_029306&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110803&position=Not

They seem to be saying that anyother type of hanging is not correct.

Hmmm.....Very interesting:-? How many people actually hang like illustrated in the link? Don't lie now:D

Since these bear(s) seem to be adapting to a large number of food-carrying animals this presents a great opportunity to study different food storage systems, but I'm pretty sure the opportunity will probably be squandered. Too bad would be an interesting study.

Not that I really care since I keep my food safe in my tent.;)
Okay! I actually - almost always - DO hang my food like the picture in this link. Yes - and I hike ALOT. Now many scoff at that - because in GA odds are that it's overkill. But like so many things in the woods (and of course ya can't go overboard here) - "It's not a problem - until it IS" - I like to eat and it's definetely a problem if my food is gone and I have days to go before a town! Of course if a hiker wanders in with a problem bear story - then everyone at a campsite or shelter is trying to hang their food with mine. YES- it's a pain in the butt (you gotta love how easy it is in a Forest Service diagram to hang your food - but what a joke it is to try to pitch cord 30' over a small branch high into a lodgepole pine - like you were at a carnival - without tangling it all up in you throwing attempts ... and of course you are standing on an incline/decline and bugs are dive bombing your headlamp/face). If you've got 2 people and have done it a few times it's no big deal - just go set it up while you've still got daylight when you first get to your campsite/shelter - then hang it before bed in a flash. If you are alone and nobody will help - you just have to guess-timate how far from each tree it will hang, tie off one side-pull other up-then probably go back and forth between the trees to adjust. I know all the smart comments will come from "White Blaze land" now ... but how many folks want to sleep in a shelter with no cables with folks hanging their food at your feet when there are bear problems in the area (especially after one of them so graciously spilled some of his ramen soup on the foot of your sleeping bag)? I'd advise folks to be prepped to do it - and it there are decent trees and decent weather and any types of odds for a bear problem - to do it. Of course - mice can actually walk that tightrope - get into a very small opening or chew into a bag - and thwart your efforts anyway. Just keep it tightly closed and hope for the best. They sell sacks (Ursacks) mice can't chew through - but unless you are NOT a thru-hiker and have no concern with a bit of extra weight I wouldn't go that far.

Deano
04-23-2011, 00:40
Shenanigans Thank you for posting your trail Journal, I enjoyed all your pictures. I am planning on starting the GA part sometime in June I hope. I've never done anything like this before and while excited I am also nervous, I'm 63 and will be alone. Your pictures have given me an idea and feeling of what to expect. I had no idea of what the shelters look like. I appreciate the time and effort you took to post your journal. I hope I can do the same when my time comes. Thanks Again and good hiking to you.

vamelungeon
04-23-2011, 09:36
People in Georgia need to eat more bear. Seriously.

Trillium
04-23-2011, 11:51
easier solution would be for GATC to install a large bear canister at Woods Hole Shelter, like the one at Seth Warner Shelter on the Long Trail in Vermont. It's a large metal box about the size of a cedar chest, with bearproof locks, for hikers to store their food inside.I've only read the first two pages but I had this same thought. I've hiked in Connecticut and Massachusetts and there are shelters that have bear boxes at them. I've been wondering why Georgia hasn't installed them. I would think that the cost would be less than having to relocate or destroy bears that have become accustomed to human food.

Red Hat
04-23-2011, 21:22
The GATC does not have enough members to haul the trash out of bear boxes that would inevitably be left there by newbies, and those "priviledged" hikers who think they are above packing out their trash. It is a shame how much trash is hauled out daily in Georgia.

Skidsteer
04-23-2011, 22:12
The GATC does not have enough members to haul the trash out of bear boxes that would inevitably be left there by newbies, and those "priviledged" hikers who think they are above packing out their trash. It is a shame how much trash is hauled out daily in Georgia.

Exactly, and a "bear box" large enough to handle the volume of foodbags at shelters during the thru-hike season in GA would be roughly the size of a privy.

royalusa
04-24-2011, 14:21

It would be an interesting (but sad) statistic to see. Over a 6-week period this spring, we have hauled about 90 pounds of trash off the AT in GA!

Red Hat
04-24-2011, 14:57
It would be an interesting (but sad) statistic to see. Over a 6-week period this spring, we have hauled about 90 pounds of trash off the AT in GA!

thanks to all the volunteers who help out! The ridgerunners in the area are also hauling stuff out daily. After a rain, there are always clothes, tents, sleeping bags, etc that got wet and too heavy for someone to carry. But someone else always manages to carry it out. And, of course, when a bear gets someone's food, there is the trash scattered about, the poorly hung bag, the line, etc...

max patch
04-24-2011, 16:52
Exactly, and a "bear box" large enough to handle the volume of foodbags at shelters during the thru-hike season in GA would be roughly the size of a privy.

Which is exactly the reason that bear boxes are necessary.

mississippihiker
05-03-2011, 15:36
Starting the GA section this weekend. What's the latest on this deal? I have a traditional system to attempt, but I have been looking at these BearVaults as a possiblity? Any ideas on those or better suggestions to avoid attracting the bears?

max patch
05-03-2011, 17:03
The camping ban is 4/15 thru 5/15.

dbigard
05-03-2011, 18:02
[QUOTE=Rain Man;1146527]From the Georgia AT Club today (4-15-11):

seems nuts to me to close it---- I was camped at blood mountain one night when a bear continuously kept coming back to get noodles cooking in a big pot that some camper were cooking---they chased him with a stick each time---no problem---- just whack hell out of him and he will leave-- no point in closing the at to hikers-completely nuts--- if hikers are afraid of bears, then stay home

Skidsteer
05-03-2011, 20:41
[QUOTE=Rain Man;1146527]From the Georgia AT Club today (4-15-11):

seems nuts to me to close it---- I was camped at blood mountain one night when a bear continuously kept coming back to get noodles cooking in a big pot that some camper were cooking---they chased him with a stick each time---no problem---- just whack hell out of him and he will leave-- no point in closing the at to hikers-completely nuts--- if hikers are afraid of bears, then stay home

It's not closed to hikers, it's closed to campers.

flemdawg1
05-03-2011, 20:57
no point in closing the at to hikers-completely nuts--- if hikers are afraid of bears, then stay home

The section, only 5 miles, is closed to camping, not hiking. Pretty easy to just hike past Neels Gap.

Rain Man
05-18-2011, 11:15
From the Georgia AT Club --

"Update: Camping Closure to End May 16
"The camping closure between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap on the AT will end beginning May 16. It has served its purpose of avoiding a further escalation of hiker-bear conflict in the Blood Mtn Wilderness. The USFS and GA DNR Wildlife Resources Division will monitor the situation closely for the next few weeks, and if the offending bear(s) come back with any regularity, institute another temporary closure order and GA DNR will immediately begin an attempt to capture the problem bear(s)."

"Shelley Rose
"GATC President
"[email protected]"

SawnieRobertson
05-18-2011, 11:40
Hey, RainMan! You survived your Virginia hike and (?) TD. How was it? Thanks for bringing the lifting of the ban between Jarrad and Neels Gaps to our attention. What do you think is the most reasonable solution to this now-annual problem?--Kinnickinic

Rain Man
05-18-2011, 12:58
Hey, Rain Man! You survived your Virginia hike and (?) TD. How was it?

It was, as always, GREAT! Photos from Rain Man's section hike last week. (http://www.meetup.com/backpackers-166/photos/1499981/25298411/) Sinking Creek Valley to Daleville. 52 miles. Enjoy!

Thanks for bringing the lifting of the ban between Jarrad and Neels Gaps to our attention. What do you think is the most reasonable solution to this now-annual problem?--Kinnickinic

I can't think of a better option than what they do now. Educate, educate, and educate, ... though some people can't be educated. Then when that fails (the proof is in the eating the pudding, or in this case, the bears eating the food bags), do a temporary "closure" where the humans have caused the problem for the bear(s).

max patch
05-18-2011, 14:40
The forest service would prefer to require bear containers but they know that enforcement would be difficult and compliance close to non existent.

What will eventually happen is bear boxes will installed at the shelters in the affected area. Hikers will be required to stay at the shelter area and use the bear boxes. Hikers will be permitted to camp away from shelters if they are carrying bear containers.

The first paragraph is fact, the second paragraph is what my crystal ball says.

scope
05-18-2011, 15:07
Next, we'll be made to carry Bear Vaults, which is fine since I already have one. Then the initial effect will be a new spectator sport...

Bear hockey!!

Beachcomber
05-18-2011, 15:31
Next, we'll be made to carry Bear Vaults, which is fine since I already have one. Then the initial effect will be a new spectator sport...

Bear hockey!!

After too many have been shot as "problems," caused by hiker misbehavior, it'll be time to start agitating for the right to arm bears.

scope
05-18-2011, 16:54
After too many have been shot as "problems," caused by hiker misbehavior, it'll be time to start agitating for the right to arm bears.

Yes, then the bears will need to wear orange during hiking season to make sure they don't shoot each other.

Boeronline
05-21-2011, 17:22
AT Camping Closure Has Ended (javascript:alertsClosureDisplay('5488','displayAl ertDetails'))
Area(s): Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Byron Herbert Reece Trail, Dockery Lake Recreation Area, Duncan Ridge Trail, Lake Winfield Scott Campground, Springer Mountain Trailhead, Woody Gap Trailhead
Date(s): Apr 15, 2011
Contact(s): Erika Mavity, (706)745-6928
NOTICE: The closure order prohibiting camping along the AT expired 5/15/11. Camping is again permitted on the Appalachian Trail between Neels Gap and Jarrard Gap. Wildlife managers will closely monitor the area for bear activity to determine future management decisions.

general
05-21-2011, 19:04

they are already armed with teeth, claws, and unusual cunningness. if you knew how many complaints wildlife officials get about "problem" bears, you wouldn't mind a few more being shot. by the way, some rules on bear hunting will be relaxed and the limit will be increased this upcoming hunting season in georgia. i think you'll be able to legally kill 3.

also, bear problems on the trail are not caused by hiker misbehavior. it is caused by over population and increased competition for food. north gerogia's bear population has exceeded its carrying capacity and food bags hung from trees are an easy target. another side note: when we do bear surveys in north georgia, we hang containers of sardines from trees to see which ones, and how many are taken. next folks will be screaming that dnr teaches bears to hit food bags.

imagine a spring after black bears have gone through a fall and winter following a poor acorn crop. the last 3 years have been fairly good. i know what happens.

WingedMonkey
05-21-2011, 19:17
Let me know when a bear hunter walks in and carries a kill out. It ain't gonna happen if they can't reach it by ATV or truck.

Skidsteer
05-21-2011, 19:19
another side note: when we do bear surveys in north georgia, we hang containers of sardines from trees to see which ones, and how many are taken. next folks will be screaming that dnr teaches bears to hit food bags.

Do you use the PCT method? :D

scope
05-23-2011, 10:53
I'm pretty sure I saw one of these bears that was getting fat on camper/hiker food. He was a real big fella, looked a bit too healthy for this time of year (based on what little I know). Didn't do anything when I pulled out my protective camera complete with flash stun mode. Had to walk past him at about 20 yards away as he was starting to amble off, but he stopped a couple of times to look me over. I was probably too stinky at that point.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=46594&c=

generoll
01-26-2012, 19:44
good to see that the reopening of this section of the trail is still posted on the cover page.