PDA

View Full Version : Shelters close in Ga

TnSlowPoke
04-16-2011, 14:49
BLAIRSVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- Authorities say bear activity has led them to close a section of the Appalachian Trail in northeast Georgia to camping until further notice.
WDUN Radio reports the section is between Neels Gap and Jarrard Gap south of Blairsville.
U.S. Forest Service authorities say persistent bear activity - and improper food storage by hikers - contributed to the decision.
Authorities said day hiking is still allowed.
The 2,175-mile long Appalachian trail runs from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mount Katahdin in Maine, and goes through 14 states.

Trailbender
04-19-2011, 10:12
I read the title and I thought at first that it meant all shelters.

Pixelgator
05-17-2011, 14:41
What I heard on WDUN is that the shelters are closed so you have to camp a hundred yards, or so, off the trail.

Razor
05-17-2011, 19:25
Both shelters and the section between Jarrard and Neal is now open for camping. If you do use this area know that bears are still in the area. Please use good food hanging practices to protect the bears. Thank you.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-17-2011, 19:31
Both shelters and the section between Jarrard and Neal is now open for camping. If you do use this area know that bears are still in the area. Please use good food hanging practices to protect the bears. Thank you.

Probably within minutes from now the old faithful WB users "hang food" versus "sleep with food" argument will commence on this thread...Think I'll sit this one out..I commend you for advising good food hanging practices though... Does that give you any idea which side if the argument I'm on? Hang food for sure.. But more than a few feet off the ground....

Tinker
05-17-2011, 21:46
I hang my food and then sleep with it ;).

emerald
05-17-2011, 23:27
Any good reason for posting this topic as an article rather than a thread?

LoneRidgeRunner
05-18-2011, 00:30
I hang my food and then sleep with it ;).

That's a good way to stay outta the argument...;):D

daddytwosticks
05-18-2011, 07:23
How long will cheese last on the trail? :)

Alligator
05-18-2011, 08:19
Duplicate thread, http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48835. The Articles section is not meant for news.