PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Springs - Tent vs lean-to

protargol
04-16-2011, 16:35
I'm starting my SOBO in early June and am wondering if it's better to reserve a tent site or a lean-to with regards to black flies.

Also, does anyone know what happens to my reservation if the trail isn't open? Thanks.

TJ aka Teej
04-16-2011, 18:47
I'm starting my SOBO in early June and am wondering if it's better to reserve a tent site or a lean-to with regards to black flies.

Also, does anyone know what happens to my reservation if the trail isn't open? Thanks.

It's Katahdin Stream Campground. Rent a lean-to for the night before and after your climb. Your reservation is for the campsite, not for climbing, so your reservation isn't effected by trail closures.

The lean-to v tentsite is simple, really. The cost is the same, but one keeps you and your stuff dry. You really don't want to start a week long backpacking trip with you and everything you own soaked. If the blackflies are a bother, use your tent as a bivy (no poles) over you and your bag inside the shelter.

protargol
04-16-2011, 18:55
It's Katahdin Stream Campground. Rent a lean-to for the night before and after your climb. Your reservation is for the campsite, not for climbing, so your reservation isn't effected by trail closures.

The lean-to v tentsite is simple, really. The cost is the same, but one keeps you and your stuff dry. You really don't want to start a week long backpacking trip with you and everything you own soaked. If the blackflies are a bother, use your tent as a bivy (no poles) over you and your bag inside the shelter.

Oops, I keep calling it Katahdin Springs on accident.

When do the blackflies start to settle down for the night? I may have a group of friends for a send off hike of the mountain, so this may all be moot, but you're right that I hope we don't have to start off wet, it's going to be hard enough

bulldog49
04-16-2011, 19:21

It's been my experience they keep you :confused:

bulldog49
04-16-2011, 19:22
It's been my experience they keep you equally. :confused:

corrected......................................... ..

mudhead
04-17-2011, 07:37
Leanto.

Bugs shouldn't be too bad. It is an established campground and the woodsmoke clears them out.

Walkin sites might be a little buggier.

Your rez is for camping. You bought it. Even if you can't go uphill.

Doc
04-17-2011, 08:39
We have strict rules about the length of the work day for blackflies. About dusk they start to settle down and are home enjoying a beer by dark. The bad news is that dark isn't early in June.

protargol
04-17-2011, 10:43
Your rez is for camping. You bought it. Even if you can't go uphill.

Well now I'm a little hesitant about my start date. I can't risk getting there June 3rd and having to spend $30 a night for 2 weeks waiting for the trail to cooperate. Should I just hold off until we can get a better idea of what the conditions might be and make a latter reservation? It doesn't seem to be filling up anytime soon.

peakbagger
04-17-2011, 12:50
I would hold off, June usually isnt that busy in the park and as long as you aree flexible by a couple of days in case is busy on a weekend, there shouldnt be an issue in getting a spot Most of the early birds have already locked in their reservations already. Plus 20% of the campground is held open until two weeks before the date for Maine residents, if they dont book them than anyone can with a credit card.