PDA

View Full Version : Snake Proof Footwear?

RAWR!
04-16-2011, 20:31
Might anyone be able to recommend something in the way of long distance hiking shoes, or boots, that are also snake proof? I know that there are, in fact, snake proof boots, but most of the ones I've seen don't exactly look like something I'd like to walk 5 or 600 miles in!

Thanks in advance!

Papa D
04-16-2011, 20:45
why do you want snake proof boots? A snake bight on the AT would be very rare in the extreme. Most people that do get bit by snakes are bitten on the hand - don't guess I have to explain why. Most backpackers now wear "trail shoes" - my personal favorite brand is La Sportiva - I have several pairs for different uses. They may make something that would be "snake-proof" or "snake resistant" - not sure - - if you do have some special need for resistance to snakes, you might check out their heavier mountaineering line:
www.lasportiva.com
I thru-hiked (before I new better) in Danner Boots - hey I just googled up a snake-proof one for you - would not consider hiking in these myself AT ALL, but here you go - HYOH
www.danner.com/boots/#features=82

Papa D
04-16-2011, 20:51
Wow - this is the exact boot I thru hiked in - I still have mine - they haven't been on my feet since about the mid 90s - I had them re-soled in Colorado after my hike - the heel had worn crooked but they made it. Most folks now use 2-3 pairs of trail shoes for a thru. I really would not suggest a thru-hike or any long hike in heavy boots - there is just so much better now in trail shoes, but these are a classic and I imagine a snake would have a pretty rough time with these (but see my earlier post re: snakes please)

www.danner.com/boots/mountain-lighttm-ii-mens-womens-hiking-boots-26615.html

Papa D
04-16-2011, 21:05
try to buy something made anywhere but China - Merrell Wilderness used to be a great heavy leather hiking boot - they were $300 in the 90s - now they are made in China and are about $195 - they also suck now (compared to how they used to be)

leaftye
04-16-2011, 21:46
Don't forget to combine your snakeproof footwear with snakeproof gaiters.

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/878/243/41/4bdb_1.JPG

You might also want these for when you try to grab the snake.

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/gladius/gauntlets-medieval.jpg

turtle fast
04-16-2011, 23:48
In reality you do not need snake guards for your boots unless you are a snake wrangler for some zoo or you are starting a new fashion statement. Trail shoes or mid-weight boots are the norm and both have their critics and supporters. Consider yourself fortunate if you even see a snake.

RAWR!
04-16-2011, 23:59
I thru-hiked (before I new better) in Danner Boots - hey I just googled up a snake-proof one for you - would not consider hiking in these myself AT ALL, but here you go - HYOH
www.danner.com/boots/#features=82 (http://www.danner.com/boots/#features=82)

LOL! I would not walk in those, haha! Most of the boots I looked at were very similar to these, which is why I said I wouldn't want to walk 600 miles in something like this!

Wow - this is the exact boot I thru hiked in - I still have mine - they haven't been on my feet since about the mid 90s - I had them re-soled in Colorado after my hike - the heel had worn crooked but they made it. Most folks now use 2-3 pairs of trail shoes for a thru. I really would not suggest a thru-hike or any long hike in heavy boots - there is just so much better now in trail shoes, but these are a classic and I imagine a snake would have a pretty rough time with these (but see my earlier post re: snakes please)

www.danner.com/boots/mountain-lighttm-ii-mens-womens-hiking-boots-26615.html (http://www.danner.com/boots/mountain-lighttm-ii-mens-womens-hiking-boots-26615.html)

These actually look very comfortable, but you don't think a thru-hike would be good in something like this? What kinds of shoes would you recommend? I'm mostly worried about stepping on snakes.

Papa D
04-17-2011, 10:58
The Danner hiker light were comfortable to me at age 18 in 1985 - I just assumed that backpackers hiked in boots - that was the common thinking then. I hike about 500 miles each year now (hoping for another thru-hike in a few years) - I hiked the Long Trail (273 miles) last year in La Sportiva shoes and also hiked the state of CT about 3 weeks ago in the same shoes (70 miles or so) - in the snow - added yak-traxes and gaiters - - I'm leaving this evening to hike the foothills trail - 77 miles - yep, same shoes - I do have two pairs of these - one a slightly older version. So, this is my favorite footwear:

www.sportiva.com/products/prod/881

do not worry about stepping on a snake - carry trekking poles - it's just not going to happen - BLISTERS WILL happen in heavy boots - when I thru-hiked, I wore my boots all spring to school (what a nerd I was) - I still got awful blisters - they finally crusted over.

Papa D
04-17-2011, 11:05
Those Danner boots ARE classics - I think they are still made in Oregon - the only boots made like this now are from small companies in Italy, Germany, Austria, and maybe in Colorado - you'll have to hunt around and will pay upward of $400 for something good -
all the great old brands (i.e. Merrell Wilderness) are now made in China

sitting here at my computer, I'm actually thinking how cool these big old heavy boots were - there is a "classic" aspect to them, but would you snowshoe in old bamboo snow shoes or ski on 200 cm wooden skis that you strap your boots to with an old cable? If so, go for it. For me, I've learned that trail SHOES are the way to travel.

Papa D
04-17-2011, 11:26
people in outdoor stores and boot manufacturers still want to sell you big boots to hike it - the truth is that REAL backpackers have discovered that plain old shoes are way more comfortable - being nimble trumps "ankle support" which is highly touted - it's mostly BS unless you are super large. Your feet will get wet in boots the same as shoes in several days of heavy rain - they might get wet a little quicker with shoes vs boots but the boots will take much longer to dry out - one good spell of sun on a hot rock will dry out your shoes in an hour. Your trail shoes WILL wear out quicker - I'd say that I get about 800-900 miles out of a pair - 2 pairs will probably accomplish a thru-hike.

Here is a chinese made (probably) boot that has properties of a shoe - it's sort of a hybrid - I'm not much of a fan, but a lot of boot people have gone to this - I'd say it gives you the WORST of both worlds - still gets wet, slow to dry and HEAVY - remember every time you lift your foot, you have to MOVE these things

www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/20347M/0/Mens/Col-Mid-Waterproof?dimensions=0

Papa D
04-17-2011, 11:34
Notice that the Danner Light Hikers weigh 62 ounces - almost 4 pounds
The Merrell Boot example I didn't like weigh almost 3 pounds
My La Sportiva shoes weigh less than 2 pounds

So, every time the person in the Danners lifts his or her foot, he or she picks up 2 pounds more than me - guess who will be at the top of the mountain sooner, happier, better rested, and yes, probably safer .......

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2011, 11:35
Papa D YoDaMan!

Take it from someone who has been bitten by snakes, it happened above the ankle on the shin, boots would have been useless! But if thats your thing, abd you want to spend that kind of money that's up to you. but you are sacrificing comfort. Better to have a trained eye, and step over them.

Toolshed
04-17-2011, 12:06
So I am still not sure why someone is posting on the AT site looking for snake proof boots???? RAWR, do you really think snakes are so prevalent they will u[p and bite you?

I've hiked in areas with far more snakes than the AT. I've Spent a few years in the swamps of GA and FL sleeping outside for a few weeks at a time, killed cottonmouths, Diamondbacks and even kept a clothesline stringer full of dead Coral Snakes outside our tents, adding to them daily as we killed them. (course they chew, not bite hard), but to my point, venomous snakes aren't exactly coming after you with a vengeance. And Really, the AT isn't exactly infested or swarming with venomous snakes.
What you might find on the AT - If you really look hard are a few copperheads here and there and a few Timber rattlers in rocky outcroppings, but even in mid-summer when they are most active (mating season) they are rarely aggressive to humans, preferring to move out of your path when they feel your vibrations.
For those who come upon snakes curled up on the trail (and there are a few well-known spots on various Trails in NCPA where there are always Timbers slumbering, sunning on the trail full of bullfrogs, mice and salamanders). These guys don't move simply because they are trying to digest their meals and would only strike if provoked, which goes back to PaPa D's comment - most are bit on the hand, since they usually come across those slumbering "docile" snakes on the trail and keep poking them to get a response, and when the snake FINALLY does respond, our victim has gotten much too close and gets bit.

so, I hope this eases your mind RAWR.....

Harrison Bergeron
04-18-2011, 08:27
http://www.amazon.com/Danner-453-GTX-Dark-Tan/dp/B000K76QBA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1303129183&sr=8-15

Danner's don't have to weigh 4 lbs. Mine are about 2 lbs, which isn't much more than the trail runners they replaced. I love 'em.

They're obviously snake proof, but that certainly isn't why I bought them. Some of us prefer a little ankle support and don't like hiking in wet feet all day just because it rained for a few minutes in the morning.

Walkintom
04-18-2011, 12:38
Snakeproof boots are a bad idea for hiking the AT. Mind you, I have yet to hike the AT. But I have been getting ready for a while now.

I do have a bit of experience wearing snake boots. They are NOT comfy for lots of walking. They are NOT comfy for lots of walking. Let me say it one more time: snake boots are NOT comfy for lots of walking. May as well decide to hike in a full set of armor.

Don't step right in front of a snake. Watch for snakes and just leave them alone. Snakes generally prefer that from people.

The AT is not a snake infested swamp. Heck, most snake infested swamps aren't THAT snake infested.

So exercise a modicum of caution and get some footwear that won't trash your feet and your enjoyment.

Feral Nature
08-09-2011, 17:20
I live with rattlers and copperheads in my yard. Oh, and cottonmouths too as we have ponds on the farm (used to) I have shot two really big, fat rattlers that were right at our front steps. I usually walk around in Crocs out here on the farm and just use "snake-dar" at all times. That is, I am always anticipating a snake under every possible piece of wood or debris or whatever. If you just learn to think "There may be a snake under there" then you are ok. My eyes are always in scan mode.

DaveSail
08-09-2011, 17:27
The " Barefoot Sisters " walked from Katahdin to Springer , turned around and walked back to Katahdin BAREFOOT !
That is the BEST snake = proof foot - wear ! DVW

pafarmboy
08-10-2011, 00:18
Give the guy credit for wanting to hike even though he must have some sort of phobia about snakes. Too many cynics on here musta been experts as soon as they got out of the car and saw a white blaze.

FWIW....get the snake gaiters shown in the pics above and get some mid-hikers like Keen Targhees http://tinyurl.com/3tpnswy. As soon as you get comfortable on the trail and realize you might not need snake protection after all, you can mail the gaiters home.

10-K
08-10-2011, 09:36
It still blows me away that people pooh-pooh getting bit by a snake and totally nut up about bear precautions.

You're about 8000 times more likely to get snakebit than attacked by a bear.

Feral Nature
08-10-2011, 15:32
One of my Greay Pyrenees dogs died here this morning. She was snakebit. Heartbreaking.

Feral Nature
08-10-2011, 15:33
That is GREAT Pyrenees, not "Greay".

Feral Bill
08-10-2011, 16:36
A person could make some gaters out of heavy canvas or denim to lesson the danger of snake bite. i wouldn't, but it wouldn't be hard, or crazy heavy.

WingedMonkey
08-10-2011, 20:46
It still blows me away that people pooh-pooh getting bit by a snake and totally nut up about bear precautions.

You're about 8000 times more likely to get snakebit than attacked by a bear.

Hee Hee Hee, Thought maybe a snake got ya on the Art Loeb.
Number of hikers killed by snakes on AT = 0
Number of hikers killed by bears on AT =0

0 = 0

:p

10-K
08-11-2011, 20:08
I wondered if you'd come along. :)

Hee Hee Hee, Thought maybe a snake got ya on the Art Loeb.
Number of hikers killed by snakes on AT = 0
Number of hikers killed by bears on AT =0

0 = 0

:p

hikerboy57
08-11-2011, 20:12
just to get you crazy, snakes have been known to slither into your sleeping bag at nght for warmth.use the boots to cover your head opening.

Traveler
08-29-2015, 15:50
And one can be too prepared for zombie threads to be reanimated by those selling gear either.

mitch
04-13-2016, 15:38
sorry to hear about the dog getting bitten, I do worry about my dog hiking with me.

Hikingjim
04-14-2016, 08:43
Here's my problem:
when I wear all my specialty snake gear (silver gauntlets, snake gaiters, hefty boots) then I am slow and very susceptible to attacks from other animals (bears, wolves, giant coons)

garlic08
04-14-2016, 08:50
... Most people that do get bit by snakes are bitten on the hand - don't guess I have to explain why....

Yep. A friend who works EMS in Arizona tells me the "usual" rattlesnake victim is a young adult male, intoxicated, bitten on the hand, on a weekend afternoon. Go figure.